Hornets - Kings

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jazzh8ter
Banned User
And1: 0

Hornets - Kings 

Post#1 » by jazzh8ter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:43 am

Hornets are looking to move a contract to get under the cap. West is believed to be the only movable contract that can bring the Hornets financial relief. They'd rather it be Okafor, Peja or Posey. However, sweetening those contracts may be hard to do a lack of assets.

I think the Hornets should revisit the rumor earlier in the year with a slight adjustment...

Hornets offer

Emeka Okafor, Morris Peterson and Darius Songaila

for

Kenny Thomas, Andres Nocioni and Sean May

Kings can absorb the salary difference with their cap space to get their defensive anchor at the 5. Let's face facts Hawes isn't cutting it.

The Hornets get under the lux tax this year without sacrificing West and his talent. Hornets also gain a lot of future cap flexibility. Paul will be ticked, but they'll be able to build for the future now after the Peja deal comes off the books.
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 525

Re: Hornets - Kings 

Post#2 » by Silver Man » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:49 am

I'd do this in a heartbeat being a Kings fan. I've always liked Meka, plus Andres is gone and May (and he was signed because?) and even tough we get Mo, and Darius which makes me a little bit hesitant because of the cap space this summer but they're expirings after this year.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,474

Post#3 » by youngcrev » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:50 am

Why not just Okafor for Thomas?
Bac2Basics
RealGM
And1: 3
Location: "Are you like a crazy person? I'm quite sure they will say so."

Post#4 » by Bac2Basics » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:56 am

youngcrev wrote:Why not just Okafor for Thomas?

Actually, a trade like this actually makes more sense for Sacramento. Sending Nocioni to New Orleans would temper the massive uptick in salary taken on by Okafor's contract. New Orleans still does get some significant cap relief, but not quite the pure expiring that they might have hoped for.

Additionally, Nocioni gives New Orleans someone with some on court value rather than just empty expiring contracts.
Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed.
~ Herman Melville
jazzh8ter
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by jazzh8ter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:59 am

youngcrev wrote:Why not just Okafor for Thomas?

It's actually more savings for New Orleans immediately, which is when they need the savings. At this very moment. Money now is always worth more than money later. Also, Nocioni gives the Hornets a player to help sell the trade. It's always tough for a fanbase to get no tangible basketball reason for a trade. That softens it. I don't think the Kings take on ALL of Emeka's contract without moving one other multi-year deal. Nocioni seems like the most eligible to fit the profile for both teams.
cuad
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#6 » by cuad » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:39 am

GET HER DONE GEOFF.

Return to Trades and Transactions