Philly/Toronto/Detroit 3 Way Deal

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Philly/Toronto/Detroit 3 Way Deal 

Post#1 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 6:40 am

Philadelphia Gets:

Jose Calderon
Antoine Wright

Toronto Gets:

Richard Hamilton

Detroit Gets:

Samuel Dalembert
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: Philly/Toronto/Detroit 3 Way Deal 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Mon Jan 4, 2010 6:42 am

This is terrible for Detroit.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#3 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 6:46 am

Nolan wrote:This is terrible for Detroit.

How so? They get out of Rip's deal and get a starting center in return.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#4 » by Nolan » Mon Jan 4, 2010 6:56 am

McFurious1 wrote:
Nolan wrote:This is terrible for Detroit.

How so? They get out of Rip's deal and get a starting center in return.

They could get more for Rip who's still a servicable player.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
aniloman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by aniloman » Mon Jan 4, 2010 7:13 am

Yeah they could get something better for Rip than this! PHILA or Toronto would have to include more: Deron would have to go to PHILA instead of Wright.
dilbert719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#6 » by dilbert719 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 7:13 am

More importantly, if Hamilton for Dalembert was on the table, Philadelphia would prefer Hamilton to the Toronto package. We have our PGs, in Williams and Holiday; Calderon only hinders us. Hamilton lets us shift everyone over, and gives us a quality natural 2, rather than forcing us to play Iguodala out of position.

If the deal was for a package of roughly expirings (Amir/Rasho/Wright/Belinelli) to Philadelphia, instead of Calderon, that'd be appealing to Philly. As it stands, we'd really rather not add Calderon and cause a glut at the 1.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

Daryl Morey: The Solution to All of Life's Problems
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#7 » by Cowology » Mon Jan 4, 2010 10:11 am

Will you please stop trying to send crappy players to Detroit for Rip? And yes, Dalembert is crap. We don't want him. About the most I'd give up for him would be Kwame & Maxiell, which would give Philly some immediate cap relief (Kwame expires) at the cost of Maxiells 2 extra years (at a flat $5 mil per) and maybe a 2nd or two as compensation.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#8 » by princeofpalace » Mon Jan 4, 2010 11:34 am

Only way I'd do Rip for Dalembert is if Phili also took Maxiels contract off the books and Pistons acquired a pick.

Dally has already been offered to everyone and refused. Major sweetener needs to be added to get it done.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#9 » by doctor him » Mon Jan 4, 2010 1:39 pm

A few things:

1. Philly doesn't want Calderon. Jrue is the point guard of the future unless we luck into Wall, and that future should've started 10 minutes ago.

2. Hamilton's contract isn't anything to write home about with that huge extension that goes until he's 35. For a 2 guard who depends on movement. I know that unless I'm a contender this season or the next that I don't want any part of him.

3. Dalembert isn't (as has been charmingly stated here) "crap". He is a flawed player (as are 98% of NBA players) and it could be argued fundamentally flawed. But he is a servicable NBA center who can range to pretty darned good on any given night. Outside of Dwight Howard he is the best defensive center in the East. He has no post game. He can hit the wide open 15 footer (though you wish that he wouldn't take it). He does run the floor like a deer and while he is a "character" he isn't a malcontent.

Moreover he's a player that is 4 months away from being a $14 million expiring contract.

So...I think "crap" is a little bit over done.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#10 » by coolness » Mon Jan 4, 2010 3:36 pm

I think Dalembert's on-deck expiring is attractive. And he is crap in the sense that Kwame and Wilcox are crap. Although, my guess is that he is better than either this season.

Bynum/Rip/Summers/Maxiell/Two2nd's
for
Jrue/Kapono/Dalembert

Lots of pieces from Detroit, but gotta compensate for Maxiell's negative value.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#11 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 3:45 pm

I have defended Dalembert on this board before, but he is nowhere close to the 2nd-best defensive C in the East.

As for the deal, it's a misfit for everyone involved, I think.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by doctor him » Mon Jan 4, 2010 5:49 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I have defended Dalembert on this board before, but he is nowhere close to the 2nd-best defensive C in the East.

As for the deal, it's a misfit for everyone involved, I think.

Who's better? Shaq is close, but you can take him away from the basket and expose him with speed.

After that...who? Garnett is a wonderful defensive player, but I don't consider him a center.

Horford (I love him), but he's not an intimidator in the paint.

Haywood is, but I think Sammy's better.

Lopez isn't really a defender and neither is Bosh.

O'Neal was really good 4 years ago before his health problems and I think that health is a reason that Chandler has slipped a little too.

The Sixers have actual defensive cohesion when Sammy's on the court and it's extremely noticable when he's not there. The Clippers game is an example. Kaman could do nothing with Sammy on the court and for some inexplicable reason the coach decided to take Sammy out so that Kaman could get off. And Jordan seems to wonder why fans and reporters are beginning to resemble an angry mob with pitchforks and torches.

I'm not saying that Sammy is the 2nd best overall center in the East. Believe me...he's middle of the pack on most days overall. But on defense he's top notch.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,186

Post#13 » by Mr Swagtastic » Mon Jan 4, 2010 8:36 pm

doctor him - You honestly think that Dalembert is a better C then Kendrick Perkins, Haywood, Brook Lopez, Horford, Noah or even Bargnani your crazy. He's a 10-10-1.5 C that's all he will be. It was like Dalembert saying a few years back he was the best C in the West.

Dalembert isn't wanted by anybody. As for the original deal Toronto of course accepts and Detroit declines. I think the Max + Brown for Dalembert deal is more then fair gives the 76ers some serious cap relief and a legit shot at John Wall this year with no real inside presence for the remainder of the season.
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by doctor him » Mon Jan 4, 2010 8:43 pm

xbl_sucks wrote:doctor him - You honestly think that Dalembert is a better C then Kendrick Perkins, Haywood, Brook Lopez, Horford, Noah or even Bargnani your crazy. He's a 10-10-1.5 C that's all he will be. It was like Dalembert saying a few years back he was the best C in the West.

Dalembert isn't wanted by anybody. As for the original deal Toronto of course accepts and Detroit declines. I think the Max + Brown for Dalembert deal is more then fair gives the 76ers some serious cap relief and a legit shot at John Wall this year with no real inside presence for the remainder of the season.

I'll repeat it since you missed it in my last post:

"I'm not saying that Sammy is the 2nd best overall center in the East. Believe me...he's middle of the pack on most days overall. But on defense he's top notch."

You want to match any of those other players up against Dalembert on the defensive end only? That was my point.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#15 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 8:49 pm

the deal would put Toronto into tax. It would have to be switched around.

Calderon + Rasho to Philly
Dalembert + Wright + 3 million Cash (Toronto) to Detroit
Hamilton + Atkins to Toronto

76ers would save 5 million next year keeping them under the tax but it seems Detroit doesnt want Dally and the 76ers have a lot of PGs even though i think Jose/Holiday at the PG and Iggy/Williams at the 2 is fine once Iverson leaves, Williams being the 6th man.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Jan 4, 2010 8:54 pm

We don't want Calderon. And why would we trade Dalembert's contract that expires next year for the extra years of Calderon. We don't need a PG, we don't have the minutes for another guard. Please stop.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by doctor him » Mon Jan 4, 2010 9:08 pm

BringBackKorver wrote:We don't want Calderon. And why would we trade Dalembert's contract that expires next year for the extra years of Calderon. We don't need a PG, we don't have the minutes for another guard. Please stop.

Come on now.

You have to be amused with the single minded desparation with which Toronto fans want to dump Calderon in the ocean.

While...at the same time claiming his to be a valuable asset and wanting to get back something decent for him.

It's great threater.
McFurious1
Head Coach

Post#18 » by McFurious1 » Mon Jan 4, 2010 9:33 pm

^ So Philly fans are saying they don't need a point guard and Detroit fans are saying they don't need a center... news to me.
BringBackKorver
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by BringBackKorver » Mon Jan 4, 2010 9:42 pm

McFurious1 wrote:^ So Philly fans are saying they don't need a point guard and Detroit fans are saying they don't need a center... news to me.

I don't think we need an injured overpaid PG, no. I like Calderon, and I think the guy can play. I wouldn't mind him on the team if he was healthy and playing like Calderon. But his contract is bad. Real bad. He has super ultra mega negative value right now, which is why it makes no sense to trade him. You guys are pushing to trade him at the worst possible time. Let him get healthy then start throwing trade ideas around.

And I would even take on Calderon in the right deal. But it would have to include Amir, Bargnani, Belinelli, and Derozan.

Ever since the Kings assistant coach said we needed a PG, everybody has spamming us with Calderon trades. The sixers organization hasn't said anything other than that we want to dump Brand and Sam. We aren't actively trying to trade Iggy, and we aren't actively pursuing a point guard.

Just figure out this problem for me.

Iverson, Lou Williams, Jrue Holiday, Jason Kapono, Andre Iguodala, Royal Ivey, Jose Calderon.

Make me a rotation where they all fit in at PG and SG.
doctor him
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by doctor him » Mon Jan 4, 2010 9:50 pm

McFurious1 wrote:^ So Philly fans are saying they don't need a point guard and Detroit fans are saying they don't need a center... news to me.

For Philly, Jrue is the future and for many of us that future should've started 10 minutes ago. We don't need a point guard. We need (takes a deep breath):

1. A Superstar to build around
2. A QUALITY 2 guard
3. A coach who defines roles and doesn't play mind games with his players, the media, the fans, etc...
4. Our young players to commit to defense and rebounding and all of the little things that win games.
5. Another high pick
6. Another true shotblocker and intimidator
7. Some salary cap flexibility
8. Divine intervention

Some of that overlaps, but I don't see a single thing that dealing for Calderon will solve on that list.

And I too like Calderon as a player, though I credited his poor defense last year to injury and apparently he really IS this bad a defender.

Return to Trades and Transactions