Help even out this trade? Ind/Minn/Chi/Cle

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Re: Help even out this trade? Ind/Minn/Chi/Cle 

Post#21 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:30 pm

DGrangeRx33 wrote:Any more opinions?

My general opinion from the Bulls’ perspective… if it remains 2010-neutral (I’m at work and can’t sit around looking up contracts), I’d probably do it. But I have my concerns with tying up big money into Jefferson at the expense of Noah & Deng. They’re mainly..

1. Noah and Deng are both above average-to-good defensive players, trending toward good. Jefferson is pretty weak defensively. So it hurts team defense quite a bit and I’m a big believer in defense.. especially from big men.

2. Jefferson’s efficiency scares me. When he averaged 23 ppg he did it on 20 shots a game. His scoring efficiency is in the ballpark of Deng’s, and Deng’s is probably too low for a wing player (which is why his glacier-slow-pace development of a 3 point shot is critical).

But he’s a skilled big man, and there are only so many of those. So as long as it doesn’t harm a shot at a 2010 guy I’m probably on board, but with some reservations.

I think it’s a decent effort at a trade though. Nice job.
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#22 » by heathmalc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 pm

I can guarantee you that the Cavaliers will not be trading Danny Green under "almost" no circumstance.

I know that most of you don't know who he is, and only look at stat lines, but Danny Green is someone they are not prepared to lose unless there was some blockbuster that he became a part of that brought back a VERY significant player. Jamison, Murphy, etc do not qualify as the type of deal where they would let Green go.
We the People...
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#23 » by heathmalc » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
InBoobieWeTrust wrote:I think Indiana gets too good of a deal.

Maybe the Cavs keep Danny Green and it's a bit more balanced

Eh, looks like it's 2 2nds for a very late 1st, and then Murphy for Z and Green? If Indy buys out Z, allowing him to return, I don't think it's a stretch at all. That's pretty dead on.

Replace Green with someone else. I am telling you, the Cavaliers will not trade Green.
We the People...
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#24 » by john2jer » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:57 pm

Deng is a non-starter in any Jefferson trade. As soon as his name is mentioned, it's going to take mountains being moved to find an acceptable trade for Wolves fans.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
chadrucf
RealGM
And1: 5,015

Post#25 » by chadrucf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Overall, nice trade. (especially given the size of it)

For the Bulls, Jefferson's inefficiency would not be good for our already anemic offense. Also, trading away very good defenders like Deng and Noah for Jefferson would make our defense almost as bad as our offense. I would rather keep Deng and Noah and go for a Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Amare, Boozer in the off-season. Why give them up, when you could keep them?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#26 » by shrink » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:35 pm

chadrucf wrote:Overall, nice trade. (especially given the size of it)

For the Bulls, Jefferson's inefficiency would not be good for our already anemic offense. Also, trading away very good defenders like Deng and Noah for Jefferson would make our defense almost as bad as our offense. I would rather keep Deng and Noah and go for a Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Amare, Boozer in the off-season. Why give them up, when you could keep them?

Remember, Jefferson's inefficiency is coming without any real help offensively, so he's doing all his offense as he's spinning away from double-teams and triple teams.

However, I agree with the second part. If I was CHI I'd keep what you've got, scrap championship ambitions this year, and gamble on drawing an elite free agent like Boozer or Bosh this summer. I certainly recognize the tremendous fit Al would produce for the Bulls though, so its a worthwhile proposal.
chadrucf
RealGM

Post#27 » by chadrucf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm

shrink wrote:
chadrucf wrote:Overall, nice trade. (especially given the size of it)

Remember, Jefferson's inefficiency is coming without any real help offensively, so he's doing all his offense as he's spinning away from double-teams and triple teams.

However, I agree with the second part. If I was CHI I'd keep what you've got, scrap championship ambitions this year, and gamble on drawing an elite free agent like Boozer or Bosh this summer. I certainly recognize the tremendous fit Al would produce for the Bulls though, so its a worthwhile proposal.

Good points all around. I think the double teams would still be in issue in Chicago, as we have no shooters to speak of. Teams would just pack the lane and dominate.
chadrucf
RealGM

Post#28 » by chadrucf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:32 pm

By the way, how is Jefferson on pick-and-roll situations? Does he do that, or is he just a low-post guy?
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#29 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm

Keep in mind that last night Al had a 26/26 game. Minny fans are riding a little Al-joy right now.

With that said, I think you did a fairly commendable job with this trade. But you can't please everyone.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
ahartleyvu
Bench Warmer
And1: 56

Post#30 » by ahartleyvu » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Whats with Cavs fans and overrating their young players? Hickson and now Green?
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#31 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:12 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
2. Jefferson’s efficiency scares me. When he averaged 23 ppg he did it on 20 shots a game. His scoring efficiency is in the ballpark of Deng’s, and Deng’s is probably too low for a wing player (which is why his glacier-slow-pace development of a 3 point shot is critical).

But he’s a skilled big man, and there are only so many of those. So as long as it doesn’t harm a shot at a 2010 guy I’m probably on board, but with some reservations.

I think it’s a decent effort at a trade though. Nice job.

Keep in mind that Al is the Number 1 option on a team with no real outside shooters. The dude gets double and triple teamed and many times finds a way to score. Opponents just don't respect our outside shooting (with good reason). Get some perimeter shooters on the team and watch his efficiency rise.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#32 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:51 am

DGrangeRx33 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
InBoobieWeTrust wrote:I think Indiana gets too good of a deal.

Maybe the Cavs keep Danny Green and it's a bit more balanced

Eh, looks like it's 2 2nds for a very late 1st, and then Murphy for Z and Green? If Indy buys out Z, allowing him to return, I don't think it's a stretch at all. That's pretty dead on.

What do you think about the rest of the deal Scoot? I probably trust your opinion over others on the trade board.

Well, it's certainly interesting. Cleveland and Indy I think would say yes. It may not be 100% perfect for either team, but it's certainly got it's positives for each franchise and it's pretty dead on.

Minnesota and Chicago are tough to read. Sure, Chicago has been wanting a guy that can score down low for a while now (essentially since Curry became worthless, if not when they traded Brand), and while adding a Jeff Foster for now does lessen the sting of giving up Noah, I'd have to think that they would want to exhaust all other trade options with Minnesota before giving up Noah. Ideally, they'd probably want Noah to play next to Jefferson, as that would set them up for the next 5-10 years. However, losing Deng helps them financially, and we could see how much they really like Johnson (their 1st rounder) up there. Salmons is also still effective. They would be a Hinrich deal away from completely rebuilding that team on the fly.

However, Minnesota is the tough read. Deng certainly is talented, as just two years ago people were debating him versus Granger on terms of talent, and he's still tremendously young. Plus, they get to get an ACTUAL young center in Noah to play long-term next to Love. However, I'm not so sure (but I'm not a Minnesota fan, and they'll probably think very differently) that they should be trading a guy like Jefferson for lesser pieces that add up to him. I think they might need to condense some of their lesser pieces for a long-term answer at SG and SF. However, if they think they really need to move either Jefferson or Love long-term for an answer at center, this certainly does that, and they do get an effective defensive center that is different from EITHER of Love or Jefferson.

Return to Trades and Transactions