ImageImageImage

What our scouting and talent evaluators need to be doing right now.

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,402

What our scouting and talent evaluators need to be doing right now. 

Post#1 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:40 am

We can help develop players like no other franchise, right?

With that in mind, what we need to do, is look through the league's rosters, especially on bad teams.... and find players with the physical tools, former high draft picks, that have floundered in the NBA and would come cheap.

Find the ones that we think we could bring into our system, and we could develop them into their potential.

Instead of working with undrafted guys, we should be going after former high draft picks that haven't succeeded on their teams.

Then we trade for them for, hopefully... relatively cheap and then we develop them. And we could do what the other franchise could not do. We have the coaching, the environment.. the Heat C-word I am tired of using.

That should be our strategy.

MY FIRST SUGGESTION ?

Patrick Williams, PF, Bulls

The Bulls are not sold on him entirely. The Bulls might be in a weird spot, and Williams is nearing the end of his rookie deal. He has shown flashes but hasn't lived up to what he CAN be.

Long, athletic, can play defense (will be even better for us) and has the potential to develop into something a lot more

Offer them something they want, and grab this guy while the Bulls aren't sure whether or not to extend him.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
contract
RealGM
And1: 21,088

Re: What our scouting and talent evaluators need to be doing right now. 

Post#2 » by contract » Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:45 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:We can help develop players like no other franchise, right?

With that in mind, what we need to do, is look through the league's rosters, especially on bad teams.... and find players with the physical tools, former high draft picks, that have floundered in the NBA and would come cheap.

Find the ones that we think we could bring into our system, and we could develop them into their potential.

Instead of working with undrafted guys, we should be going after former high draft picks that haven't succeeded on their teams.

Then we trade for them for, hopefully... relatively cheap and then we develop them. And we could do what the other franchise could not do. We have the coaching, the environment.. the Heat C-word I am tired of using.

MY FIRST SUGGESTION ?

The Bulls are not sold on him entirely. The Bulls might be in a weird spot, and Williams is nearing the end of his rookie deal. He has shown flashes but hasn't lived up to what he CAN be.

Long, athletic, can play defense (will be even better for us) and has the potential to develop into something a lot more

Offer them something they want, and grab this guy while the Bulls aren't sure whether or not to extend him.

We develop undrafted guys because they are highly motivated. They desperately want to play in the NBA and understand that being marginal athletes, they have to work their butts off and be coachable and stay focused. Guys that were first round picks and are great athletes, or were in college almost always have an entitled mindset which is hard to break. When guys with a great pedigree fail, they tend to blame others rather than looking in the mirror where the problem almost certainly is.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,348

Post#3 » by AirP. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:40 pm

contract wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:We can help develop players like no other franchise, right?

MY FIRST SUGGESTION ?

We develop undrafted guys because they are highly motivated. They desperately want to play in the NBA and understand that being marginal athletes, they have to work their butts off and be coachable and stay focused. Guys that were first round picks and are great athletes, or were in college almost always have an entitled mindset which is hard to break. When guys with a great pedigree fail, they tend to blame others rather than looking in the mirror where the problem almost certainly is.

Sure or they were put in the wrong roles, for instance, the 3 recent lottery picks in Golden State, none of them really had a chance to develop or prove themselves. For an organization that is years ahead of everyone else, they sure haven't done too much other then getting lucky that glass ankles Curry became an all-time great or 2nd round Draymond got a shot to play because David Lee was injured. They were smart enough to keep Klay even with K.Love being offered at the time.

I agree that Miami should be going after talented players that didn't work out at their first stop, just make sure they're not prima donns who won't accept the role their given.

I think people would be surprised on how many players could have excelled in the starting PG position for Miami when allowed to shoot any shot they wanted but Gabe did catch on fire for a little bit and then fell back to earth. In recent years Vincent and Nunn put up somewhat respectable numbers as a starter.
contract
RealGM

Post#4 » by contract » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:23 pm

AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:

MY FIRST SUGGESTION ?

Sure or they were put in the wrong roles, for instance, the 3 recent lottery picks in Golden State, none of them really had a chance to develop or prove themselves.

Are there a lot of former 1st round pick flops that went on to be stars elsewhere?
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#5 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:41 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:We develop undrafted guys because they are highly motivated. They desperately want to play in the NBA and understand that being marginal athletes, they have to work their butts off and be coachable and stay focused. Guys that were first round picks and are great athletes, or were in college almost always have an entitled mindset which is hard to break. When guys with a great pedigree fail, they tend to blame others rather than looking in the mirror where the problem almost certainly is.

Sure or they were put in the wrong roles, for instance, the 3 recent lottery picks in Golden State, none of them really had a chance to develop or prove themselves.

Are there a lot of former 1st round pick flops that went on to be stars elsewhere?

But we're the HEAT. We have the coaching and environment to do what most other franchises can't
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
AirP.
RealGM

Post#6 » by AirP. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:01 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:We develop undrafted guys because they are highly motivated. They desperately want to play in the NBA and understand that being marginal athletes, they have to work their butts off and be coachable and stay focused. Guys that were first round picks and are great athletes, or were in college almost always have an entitled mindset which is hard to break. When guys with a great pedigree fail, they tend to blame others rather than looking in the mirror where the problem almost certainly is.

To be stars? I'm talking about turning them into good players on the cheap. Sometimes it's them flopping, sometimes is being put in the wrong role and being asked to try to develop into another role that the team needs.

Some names and Miami has 2 of them...
Kyle Lowry
Victor Oladipo (they had no idea how to use him and moved him and Sabonis to OKC for an older Ibaka).
Domantas Sabonis <- OKC used him as a spacer, they acquired his draft rights with Oladipo for Ibaka so technically his 3rd team in Tobias Harris <- had to search the wayback machine for this webpage on Harris in Orlando (his second stop) being the most underrated player.
Indiana he blew up.
Tracy McGrady
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O’Neal
Ron Artest <- Malice in the Palace he was averaging 24 a game.
Steve Nash
Kevin Johnson
Tyson Chandler (Chicago traded E.Brand who did 20-10 his rookie season for him)
Hedo Turkoglu
Jalen Rose
Gerald Wallace
Joe Johnson
Jason Kidd (the 3 Js in Dallas, Kidd, Mashburn, Jackson)
Eric Bledsoe
THJ?
Julius Randle
Does Dion Waiters count, after living off minimums Miami gave him a nice paycheck!
Larry Huges
Fultz is having a nice comeback from where he was after being the #1 pick.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager

Post#7 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:09 pm

AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:

To be stars? I'm talking about turning them into good players on the cheap.

Kyle Lowry
Victor Oladipo (they had no idea how to use him and moved him and Sabonis for an older Ibaka).
Domantas Sabonis <- OKC used him as a spacer, they acquired his draft rights with Oladipo for Ibaka so technically his 3rd team in Tobias Harris <- had to search the wayback machine for this webpage on Harris in Orlando (his second stop) being the most underrated player.
Indiana he blew up.
Tracy McGrady
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O’Neal
Steve Nash
Kevin Johnson
Hedo Turkoglu
Jalen Rose
Gerald Wallace
Joe Johnson
Eric Bledsoe
THJ?
Julius Randle
Does Dion Waiters count, after living off minimums Miami gave him a nice paycheck!
Larry Huges

right, that's exactly it. turn them into good role players for cheap. we don't care if they fulfill their 1st round pick potential, we care that we develop them enough to be good players for us
AirP.
RealGM

Post#8 » by AirP. » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:12 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:Are there a lot of former 1st round pick flops that went on to be stars elsewhere?

Spoiler:
To be stars? I'm talking about turning them into good players on the cheap.

Kyle Lowry
Victor Oladipo (they had no idea how to use him and moved him and Sabonis for an older Ibaka).
Indiana he blew up.
Tracy McGrady
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O’Neal
Steve Nash
Kevin Johnson
Hedo Turkoglu
Jalen Rose
Gerald Wallace
Joe Johnson
Eric Bledsoe
THJ?
Julius Randle
Larry Huges

right, that's exactly it. turn them into good role players for cheap. we don't care if they fulfill their 1st round pick potential, we care that we develop them enough to be good players for us

Exactly, it's about getting the best value for the contract. Vincent is a small combo guard who basically was utilized as a 3pt SG for Miami at the PG position, he didn't set players up, he shot 3s and guarded PGs.
contract
RealGM

Post#9 » by contract » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:38 am

AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:

To be stars? I'm talking about turning them into good players on the cheap. Sometimes it's them flopping, sometimes is being put in the wrong role and being asked to try to develop into another role that the team needs.

Kyle Lowry
Victor Oladipo (they had no idea how to use him and moved him and Sabonis to OKC for an older Ibaka).
Indiana he blew up.
Tracy McGrady
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O’Neal
Steve Nash
Kevin Johnson
Hedo Turkoglu
Jalen Rose
Gerald Wallace
Joe Johnson
Eric Bledsoe
THJ?
Julius Randle
Larry Huges

Getting traded doesn't make you a flop. The Heat would trade Herro tomorrow, and might trade Bam. Some of those guys weren't flops, and some weren't stars later. But still a more impressive list than I expected.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#10 » by AirP. » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:09 am

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:Are there a lot of former 1st round pick flops that went on to be stars elsewhere?

Kyle Lowry
Indiana he blew up.
Tracy McGrady
Chauncey Billups
Jermaine O’Neal
Steve Nash
Kevin Johnson
Hedo Turkoglu
Jalen Rose
Gerald Wallace
Joe Johnson
Eric Bledsoe
THJ?
Julius Randle
Larry Huges

Getting traded doesn't make you a flop. The Heat would trade Herro tomorrow, and might trade Bam. Some of those guys weren't flops, and some weren't stars later. But still a more impressive list than I expected.

I'm just saying find someone who underperformed hence cheap somewhere and acquire them to up their value by putting them in a better role vs just trying to develop lesser talented players. It's really hard to find stars even when you're drafting high in the draft, it takes a lot of luck for a player with talent to put it all together just right and be put in the right role.

Miami's environment and coaching has a way of getting the most out of players, why not do that with more talented players? Your team has something most other teams don't with the ability to develop players... I think it's a lot to do with continuity with the coaching staff and FO, it's really tough to keep developing players when you have management changes and new people come in with different ideas.

Return to Miami Heat