ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 6.0 -Everything's Gonna Be All Wright

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,844

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 6.0 -Everything's Gonna Be All Wright 

Post#1641 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
If your team has a bottom 10 defense and you’re a bottom 5 team in the league you shouldn’t win DPOY point blank period brother

That had more to do with the quality of his teammates and his coach not even playing a PG for the first half of the season. That should have nothing to do with deciding who is the best defender for the year.

Completely disagree, how many DPOYs had a bottom 10 defense in NBA history? How many were on a bottom 5 team? How many had both?

He’ll get 2nd because of clout and stocks

Absolutely we move the goal post for certain players and deny others because the story is pretty. Nah I am done with that BS, the fact that he finished top 3 says it all, they apply reasonings every year for one player and then remove it for another, zero consistency among the voter qualifications. Its always been a requirement you must meet before you even qualify how does that bar now get removed? I don't accept it, and it becomes a meaningless award. Frankly I am glad Bam doesn't have one just like Spo not having a coach of the year, it makes what they do that far more precious not to be tainted by fallacy awards.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,250

Post#1642 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:38 pm

Read on Twitter
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,844

Post#1643 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:41 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good, let him keep raising his stock, by not trading him and allowing him to become a free agent the only way we can entice a team to give us a return by doing a sign and trade is for him to price himself into a value another team cannot afford but wants, there triggering the need to perform a sign and trade. Similar to Struss value being high enough forcing Cleveland to have to make a sign a trade with us, giving us something in return. Maybe Caleb gets us 2 second round picks, or 1 FRP from a contender, who knows plus cash considerations, etc and allows Miami to move a contract in a three team trade.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,441

Post#1644 » by MartyConlonJr » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 pm

You can't have regular season awards voted on after the playoffs because the MVP will just end up being the Finals winner. E.g. if Boston, Denver, OKC, Milwaukee or Dallas wins, they'll just give the MVP to the franchise player on that team while handing them the trophy and Finals MVP.

They are regular season awards. If anything they should have a whole separate set of the same awards for the playoffs, though playoff rookie of the year could end up being pretty sad some years. Chet or Jaime could make it look alright this year though. Like last year's would have been Keegan Murray maybe.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,250

Post#1645 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,758

Post#1646 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

I paid $5k on game 3 of the finals last year and got a wash rag :lol:
#FreeBam
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,837

Post#1647 » by Kobewade11 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:32 pm

Our guy Mike Miller quietly developing a nice client base
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1648 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
AirP. wrote:That had more to do with the quality of his teammates and his coach not even playing a PG for the first half of the season. That should have nothing to do with deciding who is the best defender for the year.

Completely disagree, how many DPOYs had a bottom 10 defense in NBA history? How many were on a bottom 5 team? How many had both?

Absolutely we move the goal post for certain players and deny others because the story is pretty. Nah I am done with that BS, the fact that he finished top 3 says it all, they apply reasonings every year for one player and then remove it for another, zero consistency among the voter qualifications. Its always been a requirement you must meet before you even qualify how does that bar now get removed? I don't accept it, and it becomes a meaningless award. Frankly I am glad Bam doesn't have one just like Spo not having a coach of the year, it makes what they do that far more precious not to be tainted by fallacy awards.

Right! Every year it’s something new, Smart because they pushed the 1st guard since Payton narrative and bam “missed too much time” despite playing more than Gobert did in his last DPOY, last year it was Jaren because “BPG!!!!!”, they handed Gobert DPOY 3 weeks into this season and haven’t looked back, he might not even be the best defender on the team. McDaniels has Booker SHOOK.

Wemby is literally just stocks and clout. That’s his argument.

Gobert, look at his defenders next to him compared to Bam. McDaniels is all defense for sure. Think Conley has been all defense and is still a good defender, Ant is a very good defender and KAT might not be good but he has size. Bams 2nd and 3rd best defenders next to him are Wright (barely played) and Highsmith (in and out of the rotation). Outside of that it’s traffic cones, when Jimmy wasn’t taking PTO he still wasn’t trying which was made evident against Philly. Despite all that we still had the 5th best defense and 1st since Feb.1st.

Thats my rant for the day tho
#FreeBam
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 7,062

Post#1649 » by carnageta » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:50 pm

MartyConlonJr wrote:You can't have regular season awards voted on after the playoffs because the MVP will just end up being the Finals winner. E.g. if Boston, Denver, OKC, Milwaukee or Dallas wins, they'll just give the MVP to the franchise player on that team while handing them the trophy and Finals MVP.

They are regular season awards. If anything they should have a whole separate set of the same awards for the playoffs, though playoff rookie of the year could end up being pretty sad some years. Chet or Jaime could make it look alright this year though. Like last year's would have been Keegan Murray maybe.

Completely agree. All regular season awards (including MVP and DPOY) should be given before the start of the official postseason.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1650 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:18 pm

carnageta wrote:
MartyConlonJr wrote:You can't have regular season awards voted on after the playoffs because the MVP will just end up being the Finals winner. E.g. if Boston, Denver, OKC, Milwaukee or Dallas wins, they'll just give the MVP to the franchise player on that team while handing them the trophy and Finals MVP.

Completely agree. All regular season awards (including MVP and DPOY) should be given before the start of the official postseason.

I also agree but I do also think the fact that Gobert gets played off the court defensively in the playoffs should be a massive eye opener on his defense overall regardless of regular season or not. Like in my mind I just could not vote for a guy who I know is going to get played off the court when the playoffs come around.

That being said, I can’t believe the suns haven’t put KD at center yet around Booker Beal Royce and Allen/Gordon and spamming run and run actions to take him off the court. Vogel sucks
#FreeBam
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,465

Post#1651 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:34 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

I paid $5k on game 3 of the finals last year and got a wash rag :lol:

Dangit man! That shoulda at least gotten you a private room with a couple Filipino girls..
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,465

Post#1652 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:36 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Right! Every year it’s something new, Smart because they pushed the 1st guard since Payton narrative and bam “missed too much time” despite playing more than Gobert did in his last DPOY, last year it was Jaren because “BPG!!!!!”, they handed Gobert DPOY 3 weeks into this season and haven’t looked back, he might not even be the best defender on the team. McDaniels has Booker SHOOK.

Gobert, look at his defenders next to him compared to Bam. McDaniels is all defense for sure. Think Conley has been all defense and is still a good defender, Ant is a very good defender and KAT might not be good but he has size. Bams 2nd and 3rd best defenders next to him are Wright (barely played) and Highsmith (in and out of the rotation). Outside of that it’s traffic cones, when Jimmy wasn’t taking PTO he still wasn’t trying which was made evident against Philly. Despite all that we still had the 5th best defense and 1st since Feb.1st.

Pretty much. We will know. The mindless masses can celebrate Gobert getting his 10th DPOY.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,349

Post#1653 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:56 pm

Looking at the stats of Game 2 vs the Celtics. The Heat slowed the game down to 95.5 in Pace with an offensive rating of 116.8 and a defensive rating of 107.4. The Heat only took 75 shots at 49% from the field and 53% from three.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,874

Post#1654 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
carnageta wrote:

I also agree but I do also think the fact that Gobert gets played off the court defensively in the playoffs should be a massive eye opener on his defense overall regardless of regular season or not. Like in my mind I just could not vote for a guy who I know is going to get played off the court when the playoffs come around.

That being said, I can’t believe the suns haven’t put KD at center yet around Booker Beal Royce and Allen/Gordon and spamming run and run actions to take him off the court. Vogel sucks

Needs to be rectified in some manner because the disconnect is obvious. Including hte postseason isn't a clean solution. But, years from now most legacy dialogue won't go beyond "how many DPOY awards?" "how many 1st team all D?" "how many blocks?" "how many 1st team all NBA?"

It's just warped
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,874

Post#1655 » by greg4012 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:01 am

DayofMourning wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

Pretty much. We will know. The mindless masses can celebrate Gobert getting his 10th DPOY.

The sad thing is only about half the fanbase will even remember once we're in the midst of another regular season and size infatuation kicks in again
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,086

Post#1656 » by AirP. » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
AirP. wrote:That had more to do with the quality of his teammates and his coach not even playing a PG for the first half of the season. That should have nothing to do with deciding who is the best defender for the year.

Or we can look at ON/OFF stats on how well the team's defense does with each player.

Bam
When on court made opposing teams ORTG drop 2.5 points from 114.2 to 111.7.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIA/2024/on-off/

Gobert
When on court made opposing teams ORTG drop 2 points from 110.8 to 108.8.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MIN/2024/on-off/

Wemby
When on court made opposing teams ORTG drop 5.8 points from 119.8 to 114.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2024/on-off/

It's crazy how much Wemby's length and athletic ability overcomes some of his weaknesses on knowing what to do on defense since he's just a rookie. Bam may better staying with his man using his feet and BBIQ but Wemby's size/athletic ability/wingspan is nearly a cheat code on defense and even offense.
MartyConlonJr
General Manager

Post#1657 » by MartyConlonJr » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:08 am

If the Heat was 1st or 2nd in the East, Bam would probably be being talked about as DPOY. Right or wrong a Play-In team just isn't getting that award.

Surprised he made top 3 (not that I don't think/know he is top dog defensively). Just surprised he was recognised despite our record. That said if Spurs had our record Wemby would be DPOY.
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,465

Post#1658 » by insfo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:41 am

It better not be Gobert again. Give it to Wemby if you want, otherwise it needs to be Bam.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,247

Post#1659 » by Wiltside » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:02 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Read on Twitter

Easily. He’s getting Strus money. He’s earned it tbh.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
MartyConlonJr
General Manager

Post#1660 » by MartyConlonJr » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am

insfo wrote:It better not be Gobert again. Give it to Wemby if you want, otherwise it needs to be Bam.

I thought this stuff was already decided really, like NBA does those straw polls but I thought they were with basically the same voters and it was Gobert by a wide margin. I just straight up assume it is Gobert. Didn't think there was even a mystery to it. I hope I'm wrong. Would love for him to be in the mix.

Return to Miami Heat