ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,511

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#41 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 pm

twix2500 wrote:Heat media PR starting to slowly acknowledge Herro physical limitations i.e. his ceiling..

More chatter of the media slowly acknowledging Herro ceiling

Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 930

Post#42 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Brandon Ingram is my clear favorite to be pursued using Tyler Herro. Both Jeff Schwartz clients that I think will be in his clients best interest for him to broker a deal between the Pels and Heat. I don't expect us to have very much competition for Ingram and I think he and the Pels also want to move on from each other. The fit between him and Williamson has not been good. Here in Miami he'll have the freedom to play small ball 4 at 6'8 with his 7'3 wingspan. Before anyone mentions Herro's fit with CJ McCollum, I really don't think that will matter much to them as they will most likely be looking to move him this year or next as well when he'll be entering the final year of his deal.

They also have plenty of lengthy wings on that team to cover up the defensive short comings. Ingram might not be the shiny star everyone wants but for what we are offering he looks to be the most obtainable. I would also suggest letting him play out the final year of his deal and earning his next contact with us. If things don't work out we have a 36 million dollar salary slot opening up. I did not even mention most likely Larry Nance Jr being included in the deal who we have tried to get plenty of times who is also on an expiring deal. So potential to free up close to 48 million.

Read on Twitter

https://heavy.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/trade-brandon-ingram-bam-adebayo/

Williamson loves him some Tyler Herro

Wouldn't Ingram/Jimmy be in each others way? Not against Ingram but two mid range/post guys with Bam as well on the team.....I also think it would take some 1st or Jovic/JJJ as well for a deal.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#43 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:50 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:It's always going to be about Jimmy and Bam for the foreseeable future. We will ride with Jimmy well into his age 37-38 years. Pat has talked about how it's different now with the aging players how they take care of themselves and Jimmy is a fitness freak. If fans are giddy about bringing in a 40 year old Lebron then we should have no issues with dealing with a late 30's Jimmy.

I mean you’re comparing the greatest player we’ve ever seen to someone who doesn’t try in the regular season. Like looking into it even more has made me frustrated with Jimmy, ive been ok with the coasting as long as he shows up and shows up big in the playoffs, this year he didn’t and we wasted the entire year if we’re being honest.

KD at 35: 27-7-5 on elite efficiency and missed only 7 games.

Lebron at 39: 26-7-8 on even higher efficient than KD while missing 11 games.

Steph at 36: 26-5-5 on elite efficiency while missing 8 games.

These are all time greats, multiple times MVPs who have several championships between the 3 giving far more effort than Jimmy over the course of the year. Guys who honestly have nothing left to prove outside maybe KD who can’t win without a crazy superteam so why are we ok with Jimmy eating up half the cap and potentially $70M a year as he tries less and less as the seasons go on?

He needs to take this serious and stop putting us in bad positions because like this season there’s no guarantee we’ll be in good enough health to get out of them

The Heat organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win during the regular season much like when we had PJ Tucker here. I think Butler will take things more seriously if he's surrounded by better players that he doesn't have to carry the load every night.

MWP Jimmy will be 35, he is at the age where he has to reserve his body. And he tried this season and his body fell apart. You and the Heat have to accept that Jimmy is at the stage of his life that his body is not dependable, which we witness with Wade and Goran. The Heat simply cant build for Jimmy any longer. Can he remain on the team, yes, but the build cant be to compliment him any more.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,050

Post#44 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 1:51 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:It's always going to be about Jimmy and Bam for the foreseeable future. We will ride with Jimmy well into his age 37-38 years. Pat has talked about how it's different now with the aging players how they take care of themselves and Jimmy is a fitness freak. If fans are giddy about bringing in a 40 year old Lebron then we should have no issues with dealing with a late 30's Jimmy.

I mean you’re comparing the greatest player we’ve ever seen to someone who doesn’t try in the regular season. Like looking into it even more has made me frustrated with Jimmy, ive been ok with the coasting as long as he shows up and shows up big in the playoffs, this year he didn’t and we wasted the entire year if we’re being honest.

These are all time greats, multiple times MVPs who have several championships between the 3 giving far more effort than Jimmy over the course of the year. Guys who honestly have nothing left to prove outside maybe KD who can’t win without a crazy superteam so why are we ok with Jimmy eating up half the cap and potentially $70M a year as he tries less and less as the seasons go on?

He needs to take this serious and stop putting us in bad positions because like this season there’s no guarantee we’ll be in good enough health to get out of them

The Heat organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win during the regular season much like when we had PJ Tucker here. I think Butler will take things more seriously if he's surrounded by better players that he doesn't have to carry the load every night.

Maybe so and hopefully so but that’s just a massive red flag to me and he shouldn’t get a pass tbh. Better teammates or not he has to be better and he has to be more engaged. He missed 22 games this season and in several games he actually did play he was invisible. Had we snagged the 6th seed he doesn’t get hurt. Or hell even if he did we’d beat the Bucks without Giannis and potentially Dame and then possibly get Rozier back for round 2, maybe 2 for the latter part of round 2. If we’re 6th and he doesn’t get hurt we’re ECF bound at minimum.

I mean we’re talking beating the Wizards and grizzlies D team in Miami away from a much different postseason run than what we just had. As our best player and highest paid player by far we need more.

Jimmy is my 2nd favorite player in the league and 3rd favorite all time but if he wants a $20M a year raise while he tries even less and less as the years go on it’s a no for me. We already have a tough time building a legit roster as it is. Only way I’d be somewhat ok with it is if we landed a Mitchell or something this summer because he and Bam can get us HCA in the 1st round minimum without Jimmy. If not, it’s just a lost cause and another wasted season
#FreeBam
al bondiga
Starter
And1: 2,816

Post#45 » by al bondiga » Thu May 2, 2024 1:56 pm

It's a new day lads, pat it's gonna pull the trigger a good trade during the Off-season.

New Phrase of the team... This one has run its course... done!!

jovic, sga, maxey...etc... Who knows anything can happen And we aint got much to lose at this point.

Superstars remember... weather and taxes
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,531

Post#46 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 1:57 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Brandon Ingram is my clear favorite to be pursued using Tyler Herro. Both Jeff Schwartz clients that I think will be in his clients best interest for him to broker a deal between the Pels and Heat. I don't expect us to have very much competition for Ingram and I think he and the Pels also want to move on from each other. The fit between him and Williamson has not been good. Here in Miami he'll have the freedom to play small ball 4 at 6'8 with his 7'3 wingspan. Before anyone mentions Herro's fit with CJ McCollum, I really don't think that will matter much to them as they will most likely be looking to move him this year or next as well when he'll be entering the final year of his deal.

They also have plenty of lengthy wings on that team to cover up the defensive short comings. Ingram might not be the shiny star everyone wants but for what we are offering he looks to be the most obtainable. I would also suggest letting him play out the final year of his deal and earning his next contact with us. If things don't work out we have a 36 million dollar salary slot opening up. I did not even mention most likely Larry Nance Jr being included in the deal who we have tried to get plenty of times who is also on an expiring deal. So potential to free up close to 48 million.

Read on Twitter

Wouldn't Ingram/Jimmy be in each others way? Not against Ingram but two mid range/post guys with Bam as well on the team.....I also think it would take some 1st or Jovic/JJJ as well for a deal.

I think Ingram and Butler would be able to flip flop roles. Depending on circumstances. Spo will have no issues making it work. Do i think we will have to add a young asset like Jovic or a future pick? Very possible. The basis of the deal would be Ingram and Nance which are about 48 million worth of expiring bird rights deals. Herro and Duncan are the salary fillers but the last carrot would have to be a young player or pick. Considering the pressure to win next year and our need to alleviate the books I could very well see us giving in whether it be trading the 15th or Jovic. The potential of having 48 million come off the books in 2026 or Spo unlocking Ingram here to full potential may be too good for them to pass up.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#47 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 1:57 pm

Read on Twitter

People outside the organization are seeing it now. Better lock in Sleepy Pat, we need moves, several.
#FreeBam
twix2500
RealGM

Post#48 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:00 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

People outside the organization are seeing it now. Better lock in Sleepy Pat, we need moves, several.

Spo requires miracles. Spo system is hard to build for because there are not many players who can fit his style.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#49 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 2:03 pm

I know a lot of folks in here like Jovic and of course I also see a long term vision with him but for some reason I don't think Spo shares those same feelings. Something tells me he was forced to play him a little more then he liked this year and it was pretty telling during the Boston series that he was just not happy with his play. Would not shock me one bit to see him dealt this offseason as a carrot to make a deal work. I could see a complete collapse in here when it happens. Something along the lines of Winslow dealt to the Grizzlies type of emotional outburst lol
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,196

Post#50 » by Flash4thewin » Thu May 2, 2024 2:03 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Maybe so and hopefully so but that’s just a massive red flag to me and he shouldn’t get a pass tbh. Better teammates or not he has to be better and he has to be more engaged. He missed 22 games this season and in several games he actually did play he was invisible. Had we snagged the 6th seed he doesn’t get hurt. Or hell even if he did we’d beat the Bucks without Giannis and potentially Dame and then possibly get Rozier back for round 2, maybe 2 for the latter part of round 2. If we’re 6th and he doesn’t get hurt we’re ECF bound at minimum.

I mean we’re talking beating the Wizards and grizzlies D team in Miami away from a much different postseason run than what we just had. As our best player and highest paid player by far we need more.

Jimmy is my 2nd favorite player in the league and 3rd favorite all time but if he wants a $20M a year raise while he tries even less and less as the years go on it’s a no for me. We already have a tough time building a legit roster as it is. Only way I’d be somewhat ok with it is if we landed a Mitchell or something this summer because he and Bam can get us HCA in the 1st round minimum without Jimmy. If not, it’s just a lost cause and another wasted season

Before one throws stones at Butler I would be throwing them at our front office and Spo. Its cute how Spo and players where saying Spo puts his team in a bad situation and is ok losing games in the belief it will make his players better and ready for the playoffs. Life hits you hard and we saw first hand how that arrogance was detrimental and a huge reason for our collapse. If Spo took the regular season seriously we have our playoff slot locked and then he can tinker all he wants. How many times do we look at games and think WTF is Spo doing with this rotation, is he trying to lose the game. Well that came back to destroy us this season. Again the problems here all come from the top and trickle down like urning hitting the coaching, the players etc. This all starts at the top.
batterybro42
Rookie
And1: 1,517

Post#51 » by batterybro42 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:04 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
batterybro42 wrote:There is only one move that allows us to stay on target for the 2026 timeline, preserving Jamie, Jovic, and Bam

That is the return of LeBron James to Miami

Herro, Robinson, and this years 1st round pick in a sign and trade taking Bronny at 43

Rozier
Butler
James
Jovic
Bam
Jamie

Vet ring chasers liked a Crowder, Love and Pat Bev

This would be option 1 for me if I were Riley, and I’m pulling out all the stops for it. LeBron is a free agent we will get a meeting. It hasn’t made sense for the two to re approach since he left in truth, but the short term goals here are aligned, and an opportunity to win one is available for Riley and LeBron to ride one more out, before turning it over to the next generation.

As far as Bronny is concerned I couldn’t think of a better place for him to develop, and I do think he has skills that could be molded into a Heat type guy. He can be a scrappy defensive guard with a 3 point shot, won’t ever be a star I don’t think but Miami has taken worse talent and helped them stick in this league.

Yeah it makes sense. If Lebron looks around the league on where he wants his son to be drafted.... it would be Miami. Coaching, development program of "undrafted stars" contributing in the playoffs at the highest level. Every year. Lebron is looking at us and thinking that he wants Bronny in this system.

However, do we want Lebron back, I don't think Riley would accept that UNLESS Lebron goes and apologizes for acting the way he did in 2014. The whole meeting while watching the world cup thing... the way he handled it... all of it. He would have to apologize to Riles.

Riley has never forgiven Klutch for that till this day in particular Rich Paul. Riley is like an old school mafia boss.

LeBron in recent years has spoken very positively about the Heat

Riley has gone as far as to say PUBLICLY that LeBron is welcome back he even got a slap on the wrist for tampering because of it

This beef is squashed

There is an opportunity for full circle moment, and it makes sense for both sides, for the first time. I don't see this view as delusional or a stretch by any means, I think this a tangible thing that will be a part of some real discussions in the coming months. LeBron can't do it on his own anymore, he needs Miami, and Miami with where they are at has a two year window to make something shake. There are very few teams positioned like Miami is where their windows and goals align with what LeBron is going to try to accomplish. At this point I feel like for LeBron it's about 1 more ring. There is not much time to be messing around with unproven Coaches, and an unknown front office. This is the last dance for him.

He can be surrounded by players with finals experience, a Coach that has been there before and understands how to make him effective and efficient, along with a front office that has delivered championship builds around him previously. Its a low risk option for both sides, in a time where neither party should be wanting to take on a lot of unknown risk.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,642

Post#52 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu May 2, 2024 2:05 pm

I really dislike players with significant physical limitations. That's the one thing we can't improve.

Ingram has all the tools, he just need to sharpen them.

Sadly, even now that Ingram's stock is down, There's still no chance we get him for Herro. Sad truth.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,875

Post#53 » by marson » Thu May 2, 2024 2:05 pm

twix2500 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spo requires miracles. Spo system is hard to build for because there are not many players who can fit his style.

Give him a good roster and he will deliver. Give him a great one and he will bring chips.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#54 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 2:07 pm

batterybro42 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:
Yeah it makes sense. If Lebron looks around the league on where he wants his son to be drafted.... it would be Miami. Coaching, development program of "undrafted stars" contributing in the playoffs at the highest level. Every year. Lebron is looking at us and thinking that he wants Bronny in this system.

However, do we want Lebron back, I don't think Riley would accept that UNLESS Lebron goes and apologizes for acting the way he did in 2014. The whole meeting while watching the world cup thing... the way he handled it... all of it. He would have to apologize to Riles.

Riley has never forgiven Klutch for that till this day in particular Rich Paul. Riley is like an old school mafia boss.

LeBron in recent years has spoken very positively about the Heat

Riley has gone as far as to say PUBLICLY that LeBron is welcome back he even got a slap on the wrist for tampering because of it

This beef is squashed

There is an opportunity for full circle moment, and it makes sense for both sides, for the first time. I don't see this view as delusional or a stretch by any means, I think this a tangible thing that will be a part of some real discussions in the coming months. LeBron can't do it on his own anymore, he needs Miami, and Miami with where they are at has a two year window to make something shake. There are very few teams positioned like Miami is where their windows and goals align with what LeBron is going to try to accomplish. At this point I feel like for LeBron it's about 1 more ring. There is not much time to be messing around with unproven Coaches, and an unknown front office. This is the last dance for him.

Nah it's major hope trafficky stuff Imo. Lebron will find his way with his boy Steph and Draymond in Golden State or back him in Cleveland. Lebron back to Miami will be another offseason Miami fan pipe dream.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,206

Post#55 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 2:08 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Welp I guess we can put a fork into these Durant rumors. Suns probably look to fix the things around the edges like getting some PG play. They also have the ability to court cheap vet mins.

This should be expected. Phoenix will have a whole offseason to come up with a gameplan to use their top players and what type of role-players they need around them vs having limited options.

I would not be surprised if Beal gives Phoenix a list of teams he'd wave his NTC to be moved to. It could be beneficial to Phoenix and whoever they trade with to move Beal for 2-4 possible rotation players with possibly 1-2 of those players being not very good values since Beal's contract is a bad.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 930

Post#56 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 2, 2024 2:10 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:

I really dislike players with significant physical limitations. That's the one thing we can't improve.

Sadly, even now that Ingram's stock is down, There's still no chance we get him for Herro. Sad truth.

Tyler limitation are more mental than physical (which he lacks also), when you have Tylers size/athletic ability level you have to be able to see the game 1 step ahead to be a good player in the NBA, he can't he's low IQ and plays very primitive score first basketball with a basic level of dribbling by NBA standards. The skills/IQ issue is far more concerning than his physical limitations. He's super soft as well like I have seen smaller players play way tougher D and actually compete.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#57 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 2, 2024 2:14 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:

I think it’s a good time for the two teams to make a deal. Feel like Schwartz can sell Herro to the Pels. We might have to cough up a young asset to complete the deal but if you look at all the factors it may be well worth it. Agents hold a lot of power in this league and I feel like Schwartz can make something happen with these two franchises and his clients here.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,196

Post#58 » by Flash4thewin » Thu May 2, 2024 2:17 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:

Read on Twitter

I think Ingram and Butler would be able to flip flop roles. Depending on circumstances. Spo will have no issues making it work. Do i think we will have to add a young asset like Jovic or a future pick? Very possible. The basis of the deal would be Ingram and Nance which are about 48 million worth of expiring bird rights deals. Herro and Duncan are the salary fillers but the last carrot would have to be a young player or pick. Considering the pressure to win next year and our need to alleviate the books I could very well see us giving in whether it be trading the 15th or Jovic. The potential of having 48 million come off the books in 2026 or Spo unlocking Ingram here to full potential may be too good for them to pass up.

Ingram is not coming here without a big fat extension and just coming here for Herro is so unrealistic. The other things overlooked here is that Pel are also looking to cut salary. Unless we are looking at a 3 way trade with someone else wanting Herro and giving up assets for him which are then sent to the Pet, the whole premise doesn't look promising at all. Sure anything can happen but it's unrealistic.

Being honest our best case scenario is bringing it back, tinker with things, have Terry commit to defense and see if our players can improve there value. We will be paying the tax. The only way out of playing the tax would be Offering the 15th pick + either Jokic or JJJ and Duncan to a team with the cap space to absorb them. We get out of paying the tax which is priority # 1 here. The Spurs would make sense. We get out of paying the tax but it cost us dearly.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#59 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 2:17 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:The Heat organization has to do a better job of building a team that can win during the regular season much like when we had PJ Tucker here. I think Butler will take things more seriously if he's surrounded by better players that he doesn't have to carry the load every night.

Before one throws stones at Butler I would be throwing them at our front office and Spo. Its cute how Spo and players where saying Spo puts his team in a bad situation and is ok losing games in the belief it will make his players better and ready for the playoffs. Life hits you hard and we saw first hand how that arrogance was detrimental and a huge reason for our collapse. If Spo took the regular season seriously we have our playoff slot locked and then he can tinker all he wants. How many times do we look at games and think WTF is Spo doing with this rotation, is he trying to lose the game. Well that came back to destroy us this season. Again the problems here all come from the top and trickle down like urning hitting the coaching, the players etc. This all starts at the top.

Oh trust me I’m the first to call out the FO and Pat specifically, Jimmy isn’t the main reason we sucked this season but the fact remains that he had a big hand in it
#FreeBam
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,642

Post#60 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu May 2, 2024 2:17 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
RexBoyWonder wrote:

Tyler limitation are more mental than physical (which he lacks also), when you have Tylers size/athletic ability level you have to be able to see the game 1 step ahead to be a good player in the NBA, he can't he's low IQ and plays very primitive score first basketball with a basic level of dribbling by NBA standards. The skills/IQ issue is far more concerning than his physical limitations. He's super soft as well like I have seen smaller players play way tougher D and actually compete.

My point was, I'd Pack Tyler's bags myself if he would net us Ingram. sadly he won't, his value has crushed. Ingram took a hit too, but he's still on a higher tier.

I don't envy the front office this off season. Really don't. they're paying for big past mistakes now.

I really think they're stuck in a position that is impossible to get out of. There's no visible path to improve this team significantly, or to bring an all star level player here.

Just don't see it.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs

Return to Miami Heat