ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,322

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#1321 » by SerialChiller » Fri May 10, 2024 12:36 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
carnageta wrote:Meh, I'm probably one of the few but I'm actually not opposed to Tyler Herro. I think we should tamper our expectations of what he's supposed to be, as we now have a clearer understanding of what his limitations are.

I think he could make a great complimentary scorer to an alpha, but where the issue lies is that we expect him to be the respective alpha (but he's not). Jimmy is partly to blame because of that due to his frequent lack of assertiveness offensively.

"But he's paid like an alpha so that has to be the expectation for him!!!" - that's just incorrect lol. Herro was the 52nd highest paid player in the league this season, and will be approximately in the same range next year as well.

Some notable guys paid more than Tyler Herro this season: Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul, Jordan Poole, CJ McCollum, Jerami Grant, Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Fred Van Vleet, Darius Garland.

Some notable players paid slightly less than Tyler Herro this season (within 4m): Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, Mike Conley, Andrew Wiggins, Anfernee Simons, Jordan Clarkson, Terry Rozier.

With the pay people complain about how much he's making you would think he was on a superstar max contract, but he just isn't. Jaylen Brown is on a superstar max contract and he's going to make 59m next season, 20m more than what Tyler Herro will be paid.

For a player that averages 20, 5 and 4 on 44/39/85 shooting splits (at the age of 24) - it really isn't that bad of a contract to be paid ~27m.

If he was making $20-24M I wouldn't have a problem, thats kind off the range for a player of that caliber.

Unfortunately we can't change that massive blunder now short of finding a trade for him somehow. But he needs to at least be willing to do what's best for the team which probably means him being a 6th man again. I could at least respect that.
carnageta
Veteran
And1: 7,137

Post#1322 » by carnageta » Fri May 10, 2024 12:40 am

IceColdCubano wrote:
carnageta wrote:Meh, I'm probably one of the few but I'm actually not opposed to Tyler Herro. I think we should tamper our expectations of what he's supposed to be, as we now have a clearer understanding of what his limitations are.

I think he could make a great complimentary scorer to an alpha, but where the issue lies is that we expect him to be the respective alpha (but he's not). Jimmy is partly to blame because of that due to his frequent lack of assertiveness offensively.

"But he's paid like an alpha so that has to be the expectation for him!!!" - that's just incorrect lol. Herro was the 52nd highest paid player in the league this season, and will be approximately in the same range next year as well.

Some notable guys paid more than Tyler Herro this season: Kyle Lowry, Chris Paul, Jordan Poole, CJ McCollum, Jerami Grant, Tobias Harris, Ben Simmons, Fred Van Vleet, Darius Garland.

Some notable players paid slightly less than Tyler Herro this season (within 4m): Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, Mike Conley, Andrew Wiggins, Anfernee Simons, Jordan Clarkson, Terry Rozier.

With the pay people complain about how much he's making you would think he was on a superstar max contract, but he just isn't. Jaylen Brown is on a superstar max contract and he's going to make 59m next season, 20m more than what Tyler Herro will be paid.

For a player that averages 20, 5 and 4 on 44/39/85 shooting splits (at the age of 24) - it really isn't that bad of a contract to be paid ~27m.

If he was making $20-24M I wouldn't have a problem, thats kind off the range for a player of that caliber.

He made 27m this season, and he'll make 29m next year. You have to factor youth into account. Herro will continue to improve.

If he was a 30 year old player - yeah, 25m for his services is about what you would expect. But the fact is it's very likely we haven't seen the best version of Herro yet, hence why we're paying small premium of a few extra mill/season.

I don't know what the best version of Herro will look like - but it likely will not be a Devin Booker / Donovan Mitchell level scorer, and that's fine. Booker this year made 37m. Donovan 34m. Both more than Tyler.
carnageta
Veteran

Post#1323 » by carnageta » Fri May 10, 2024 12:44 am

Tyler Herro should continue to get stronger and work on his defence and ball handling.

If he can become an average defender that isn't hunted down, then his current contract will be more than worth it - even if we do not see any more strides in his offensive game.

Seriously, I'll say it again - Tyler is a 20ppg scorer on nearly 45/40/85 shooting splits and is only aged 24. He's paid 27m. It's not like he has a supermax contract. Let's settle down.
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,248

Post#1324 » by rate_ » Fri May 10, 2024 12:53 am

carnageta wrote:Tyler Herro should continue to get stronger and work on his defence and ball handling.

If he can become an average defender that isn't hunted down, then his current contract will be more than worth it - even if we do not see any more strides in his offensive game.

Seriously, I'll say it again - Tyler is a 20ppg scorer on nearly 45/40/85 shooting splits and is only aged 24. He's paid 27m. It's not like he has a supermax contract. Let's settle down.

I wouldn’t mind Tyler on the roster as long as the Heat don’t treat him like a featured player, or he becomes way more off-ball. I would like Jovic to take some usage from Tyler. Let him handle the ball more.
carnageta
Veteran

Post#1325 » by carnageta » Fri May 10, 2024 12:54 am

Herro should definitely be considered as part of our 'future', along with Bam, Jaime, and Jovic.

The issue is that we keep expecting one of these players to turn into the next Dwyane Wade and carry us to the promise land. If we lose that expectation, then this core of players would actually make for a very strong supporting cast to a superstar.

It's also possible, through continuity and internal growth, that this group of guys can create something special. I could see a bit of the 09' Orlando Magic formula working out, with Jovic replicating Rashard Lewis, Jaime replicating Hedo Turkoglu, Herro replicating Jameer Nelson, and Bam being the center of it all (i.e. Dwight Howard). Of course, this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but the fit overall seems like it has potential to blossom into something special.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 5,002

Post#1326 » by SoFlaKingReal » Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 am

Mitchell isnt coming to the Heat....get over it now.
carnageta
Veteran

Post#1327 » by carnageta » Fri May 10, 2024 12:55 am

rate_ wrote:
carnageta wrote:Tyler Herro should continue to get stronger and work on his defence and ball handling.

I wouldn’t mind Tyler on the roster as long as the Heat don’t treat him like a featured player, or he becomes way more off-ball. I would like Jovic to take some usage from Tyler. Let him handle the ball more.

I agree. I think we'll see more of that moving forward. Would like to see Jaime's usage continue to go up as well.
Beenie
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,512

Post#1328 » by Beenie » Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 am

carnageta wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

He made 27m this season, and he'll make 29m next year. You have to factor youth into account. Herro will continue to improve.

If he was a 30 year old player - yeah, 25m for his services is about what you would expect. But the fact is it's very likely we haven't seen the best version of Herro yet, hence why we're paying small premium of a few extra mill/season.

I don't know what the best version of Herro will look like - but it likely will not be a Devin Booker / Donovan Mitchell level scorer, and that's fine. Booker this year made 37m. Donovan 34m. Both more than Tyler.

Biggest flaw are his limitations as a ball handler

I’ve got no issue with him spamming catch and shoot threes or 1 to 2 dribble jumpers.

Team however places entirely too much handling responsibilities on him.

Anytime Herro’s confronted with medium pressure from a handsy defender, I almost expect something bad to happen.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,997

Post#1329 » by IceColdCubano » Fri May 10, 2024 1:04 am

carnageta wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:

they do a good job on this one talking about the data sets on Herro, the data says Herro is what he is with very little left to expand due to his limitations.
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,150

Post#1330 » by Bourne85 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:41 am

Hoops3355 wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
You wouldn’t trade a 1st for 3 seasons of the GOAT?

He ain’t the goat of anything. Guy has a pathetic finals record, swept by Spurs, colluded to form the big 3, went 2-4 even while forming that team. Got constantly beat by Curry. The guy has a 4-6 finals record that should be 2-8. Saved by Bosh and Ray Allen, saved by Silver suspending Green in the finals when he was down 3-1. Have some standards, the guy is a fraud. The ONLY thing he has going for him is the steroids that keep him playing til he’s 40 and is able to stat pad until then. Never in any other sport will there be a guy that’s in “goat” conversations that constantly loses like he does.

Didn’t Jordan not make it to the finals like 9/15 seasons. Feel like people forget that aspect of his career plus being such a degenerate gambler he had to sit out two seasons.

So? He 3 peated 2wice. 6Finals mvp. 6-0! Making game winning shots and being unstoppable. Meanwhile Lebron had Ray Allen save his ass, had Kyrie take the game winner. Silver step in and suspend guys for him etc. Lebron has lost plenty before the Finals as well. Difference is he has also lost more than he won once he got to the finals. Lebron is not and will never be as good as MJ. Someday, a guy will come along better than MJ, but that guy is not Lebron. All Lebron has is longevity and one of the main reasons for that is the insane $$$$ they get to continue playing. The other reason, PEDs.
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 5,002

Post#1331 » by SoFlaKingReal » Fri May 10, 2024 3:16 am

Oh well, Lebron will have to settle for top two all time lol
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 16,026

Post#1332 » by Kobewade11 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:36 am

They clowning Jimmy in NY

Read on Twitter
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,178

Post#1333 » by eddieheatfan » Fri May 10, 2024 3:43 am

Kobewade11 wrote:They clowning Jimmy in NY

Read on Twitter
:o
El Alonzo scowl
Veteran
And1: 5,465

Post#1334 » by El Alonzo scowl » Fri May 10, 2024 3:54 am

The Heat organization thought Herro could be better than Booker. Herro himself says he is on the same level as Luka and Trae Young. Miss me with that lowering expectations on him bullsh*t. He either needs to produce at that high level or get the f*ck out.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,292

Post#1335 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Fri May 10, 2024 4:52 am

Damn it’s 2024 and majority still don’t think LeBron is the GOAT?!?!
#FreeBam
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,178

Post#1336 » by eddieheatfan » Fri May 10, 2024 4:59 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Damn it’s 2024 and majority still don’t think LeBron is the GOAT?!?!

Hoops3355
Senior
And1: 276

Post#1337 » by Hoops3355 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:14 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Damn it’s 2024 and majority still don’t think LeBron is the GOAT?!?!

The MJ nut hugging is kinda wild tbh. I watched MJ growing up and like the level of talent just between that era and now is wild different. Don't think you can compare accolades really. So I'll let MJ have his but LeBron career is way more impressive.
Miami / Chicago / London
Hoops3355
Senior
And1: 276

Post#1338 » by Hoops3355 » Fri May 10, 2024 6:44 am

Bourne85 wrote:
Hoops3355 wrote:
Bourne85 wrote:
He ain’t the goat of anything. Guy has a pathetic finals record, swept by Spurs, colluded to form the big 3, went 2-4 even while forming that team. Got constantly beat by Curry. The guy has a 4-6 finals record that should be 2-8. Saved by Bosh and Ray Allen, saved by Silver suspending Green in the finals when he was down 3-1. Have some standards, the guy is a fraud. The ONLY thing he has going for him is the steroids that keep him playing til he’s 40 and is able to stat pad until then. Never in any other sport will there be a guy that’s in “goat” conversations that constantly loses like he does.

Didn’t Jordan not make it to the finals like 9/15 seasons. Feel like people forget that aspect of his career plus being such a degenerate gambler he had to sit out two seasons.

So? He 3 peated 2wice. 6Finals mvp. 6-0! Making game winning shots and being unstoppable. Meanwhile Lebron had Ray Allen save his ass, had Kyrie take the game winner. Silver step in and suspend guys for him etc. Lebron has lost plenty before the Finals as well. Difference is he has also lost more than he won once he got to the finals. Lebron is not and will never be as good as MJ. Someday, a guy will come along better than MJ, but that guy is not Lebron. All Lebron has is longevity and one of the main reasons for that is the insane $$$$ they get to continue playing. The other reason, PEDs.

Sure but like Luke Longly was an NBA player so we can really just leave it at that. Lol I got a bridge for you to buy if you think players weren't on sauce during Jordans ERA you are crazy.
Miami / Chicago / London
Daffy
Analyst
And1: 3,830

Post#1339 » by Daffy » Fri May 10, 2024 8:02 am

Kobewade11 wrote:They clowning Jimmy in NY

Read on Twitter

I love this energy. Didn't Jimmy give OG 28 not too long ago?
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 16,026

Post#1340 » by Kobewade11 » Fri May 10, 2024 11:05 am

Hoops3355 wrote:
The MJ nut hugging is kinda wild tbh. I watched MJ growing up and like the level of talent just between that era and now is wild different. Don't think you can compare accolades really. So I'll let MJ have his but LeBron career is way more impressive.

Jordan did way more in way less time. This is like saying Frank Gore’s career is more impressive than Barry Sanders.

Return to Miami Heat