ImageImageImage

Miami Heat 2023/2024 Training Camp and Regular Season Thread

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 17,029

Re: Miami Heat 2023/2024 Training Camp and Regular Season Thread 

Post#1881 » by IceColdCubano » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:19 pm

Daffy wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Good thing that we only want folks that play both offense and defense round here

Read on Twitter

I wonder if he's intentionally mailing it in. He doesn't really seem invested fully to be honest.

I wouldn't be surprised of either outcome, they are making out his defensive liability to be anything other than a nuisance for the regular season. Come Playoff time, dude will make some teams cry with incredible shot making and we will all be witness to this. Or it turns out that his defensive struggles just don't mesh well with their point of attack defense. If Giannis and Lopez are having to overcompensate all game for his inability to hold his own, it could be some uncomfortable close games that go the other way because of this.
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,056

Post#1882 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 6:19 pm

Daffy wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:Good thing that we only want folks that play both offense and defense round here

Read on Twitter

I wonder if he's intentionally mailing it in. He doesn't really seem invested fully to be honest.

I don’t follow him enough to know his regular demeanor, but since his first walk into the bucks arena after getting traded, to every other time I have seen him since the trade, he has looked disinterested.

Maybe his performance is a result of that… or he is showing his age a bit. Who knows, but this does not look like the prime Dame that we all talked about over the summer.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,475

Post#1883 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:08 pm

I mean if you were trading for Dame expecting him to be a lockdown defender you were fooling yourself :lol:

He also didn’t want to be here in the first place. He made it very clear he wanted to be in Miami, nowhere else. He can’t help it that a bunch of old stubborn men couldn’t come to an agreement and let the politics of it all get in the way.

That being said, I’ve watched the bucks a decent amount so far, they aren’t using Dame right at all. He’s doing a lot of standing around off ball as a safety valve if the plays fall apart and they build a wall on Giannis. Which is fine, Giannis is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world so it is what it is.

Dames scoring is still elite and hyper efficient to no surprise. For comparison, at his current rate if he were taking as many shots as Herro he would be averaging 36 PPG right now.

This is not a Dame vs Herro debate by the way, just adding some context
#FreeBam
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,250

Post#1884 » by rate_ » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:10 pm

Current 25+/5+/5+ players in NBA

Jokic
Luka
Embiid
Maxey
Herro
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1885 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:23 pm

rate_ wrote:Current 25+/5+/5+ players in NBA

Jokic
Luka
Embiid
Maxey
Herro

Only played 2 games but Booker averages 32-8-11
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1886 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Circling back to this for the 100th time, Lowry and a 1st for Dinwiddie and DFS please
#FreeBam
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#1887 » by VaDe255 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:32 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I mean if you were trading for Dame expecting him to be a lockdown defender you were fooling yourself :lol:

He also didn’t want to be here in the first place. He made it very clear he wanted to be in Miami, nowhere else. He can’t help it that a bunch of old stubborn men couldn’t come to an agreement and let the politics of it all get in the way.

That being said, I’ve watched the bucks a decent amount so far, they aren’t using Dame right at all. He’s doing a lot of standing around off ball as a safety valve if the plays fall apart and they build a wall on Giannis. Which is fine, Giannis is the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world so it is what it is.

Dames scoring is still elite and hyper efficient to no surprise. For comparison, at his current rate if he were taking as many shots as Herro he would be averaging 36 PPG right now.

That is not how it works. FTs are also possesions.
Dame is at 63.4% TS and Herro at 57%. Yes, Dame scores more efficiently for that reason, but the difference in production if you look at those guys and a normalized stats like PER is basically nothing. Herro is even a better playmaker than Dame so far, same assists with fewer turnovers. The real difference is, Dame costs twice as much.

It really looks like we dodged a bullet, if Herro continues to play like he started the season.
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,817

Post#1888 » by Hallstar » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:33 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I mean if you were trading for Dame expecting him to be a lockdown defender you were fooling yourself :lol:

Bro, the non calls count as shot attempts. Herro is nowhere near Dame at drawing fouls, but if they were even being reasonable and Herro was getting 5fts/g i.e (1 extra call) he would be avg 27 on 20 shots for example. Right now the foul calls are the only thing keeping Dame's avgs afloat
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,917

Post#1889 » by Rapaz » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:42 pm

Spoiler:

This barbecued chicken is 1000x better and more exciting than what we have at point . . .
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1890 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:43 pm

Hallstar wrote:

Bro, the non calls count as shot attempts. Herro is nowhere near Dame at drawing fouls, but if they were even being reasonable and Herro was getting 5fts/g i.e (1 extra call) he would be avg 27 on 20 shots for example. Right now the foul calls are the only thing keeping Dame's avgs afloat

Everyone gets non calls, Dame puts hella pressure on the rim and always has. He’s going to get more calls
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1891 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 7:45 pm

VaDe255 wrote:

Dame is at 63.4% TS and Herro at 57%. Yes, Dame scores more efficiently for that reason, but the difference in production if you look at those guys and a normalized stats like PER is basically nothing. Herro is even a better playmaker than Dame so far, same assists with fewer turnovers. The real difference is, Dame costs twice as much.

It really looks like we dodged a bullet, if Herro continues to play like he started the season.

I hope you don’t still use PER
#FreeBam
VaDe255
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Post#1892 » by VaDe255 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:36 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:

What do you suggest? What metric makes Lillard worth twice as much, show me.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1893 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:40 pm

VaDe255 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
VaDe255 wrote:

What do you suggest? What metric makes Lillard worth twice as much, show me.

I’ll photoshop the Heat logo onto the 2024 championship rings and send it over when they’re out!
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1894 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:41 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:

Again…..
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,365

Post#1895 » by AirP. » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:37 pm

Since some are talking about him, is it Lillard's level of defense or is he just coasting on the defense end, he didn't go where he wanted so maybe that effort isn't going to be 100% like it should?
Read on Twitter
MiamiLoyal926
Rookie
And1: 2,056

Post#1896 » by MiamiLoyal926 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 10:44 pm

But there should be a Dame vs Herro debate as that was the two major pieces being traded in any Dame scenario to the Heat. Understanding how this plays out for both sides helps collect data and perception for future roster decisions.

For example, if Dame and Herro return to their normal selves, what does that teach us?

What if Dame/Herro normalize, but JJJ/Jovic continue their upward trends?

What if Dame/Herro normalize, JJJ/Jovic climb, Duncan continues to play well, and Lowry gets us a decent PG on a trade?

Or… back to the root… Dame normalizes, but Herro continues to play at this level moving forward?

And then add the JJJ/Jovic and other variables…

Or… what if Dame doesn’t normalize, loses as step this year, and Herro continues to play at his current level?

Point is… if we are bringing up Dame in this forum, that will automatically be a comparison/debate as their fates were intertwined this off-season.
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#1897 » by marson » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:06 pm

chicken BBQ
marson
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#1898 » by marson » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:08 pm

Thanking basketball Gods we dodged a bullet on Beal and Dame.

Time for Bam and Jimmy to step it up. The help they are looking for is already here.
contract
RealGM
And1: 21,102

Post#1899 » by contract » Mon Nov 6, 2023 11:49 pm

VaDe255 wrote:

Spoiler:
I think I can say with great confidence that Tyler will not shoot 45% from 3pt range for the season. I'm also pretty confident that Tyler won't make it through the season playing 38 minutes per game.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,208

Post#1900 » by eddieheatfan » Tue Nov 7, 2023 12:05 am

marson wrote:chicken BBQ
:droop:

Return to Miami Heat