ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,750

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#901 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 15, 2024 3:46 pm

greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Kelel Ware looks like someone we will pass on. Has all the measurables but don’t think he’s going to impress the Heat. I think his BBIQ and motor questions are going to hurt his stock some especially with what we usually go for in players. Seen some Christian Wood comparisons. Could just get Chrisitan Wood for the minimum these days.

Read on Twitter

Yea I'm not gonna pretend I've tuned into his games to see all the lackadaisical stuff myself. But, I have seen clips floating on the internet paired with testimony from CBB fans that have tuned in. It's concerning for sure.

It's a shame because dude has so much talent and potential (especially if his 3 ball is real--TBD). If he actually loved bball, he'd pretty clearly be a top 3 pick in the draft. I think Miami has gone through too many guys with potential that won't translate to have a good eye to filter out those that won't work.

I call BS.

1) Kid just had a 16/10/2 season, as a sophomore. If that's him dogging it, he's a generational talent.

Truth is he was very productive, and when looking at the tape you can see the talent is there to develop - very smooth with the ball, good post moves and a jump shot up to the 3 point line. Tremendous length and mobility.

Basically our only chance to even draft this type of talent at #15 are those rumblings about motor.

2) Unless he's a true head case I expect Riley to take on the challenge, and guide this kid into reaching his potential. That's the all point of having a strong coaching staff and structure as a organization - you don't need that structure for guys like Bam and UD - they'll hold themselves accountable.

Nice kids with subpar talent and below average tools won't win us chips.
Sometimes you just need to bet on talent, and make sure you bring the best out of immature players.

I recommend reading about the 3 time current MVP history - his temper tantrums, issues with conditioning, love for the game..etc.

Nuggets helped him get his chit together and they're reaping the rewards.

This team has been lacking in talent for years, and with free agency dead we really need to bring in the best talent we can every chance we got.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,220

Post#902 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:51 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Kelel Ware looks like someone we will pass on. Has all the measurables but don’t think he’s going to impress the Heat. I think his BBIQ and motor questions are going to hurt his stock some especially with what we usually go for in players. Seen some Christian Wood comparisons. Could just get Chrisitan Wood for the minimum these days.

Read on Twitter

Yea I'm not gonna pretend I've tuned into his games to see all the lackadaisical stuff myself. But, I have seen clips floating on the internet paired with testimony from CBB fans that have tuned in. It's concerning for sure.

It's a shame because dude has so much talent and potential (especially if his 3 ball is real--TBD). If he actually loved bball, he'd pretty clearly be a top 3 pick in the draft. I think Miami has gone through too many guys with potential that won't translate to have a good eye to filter out those that won't work.

I call BS.

1. Kid just had a 16/10/2 season, as a sophomore. If that's him dogging it, he's a generational talent.

Truth is he was very productive, and when looking at the tape you can see the talent is there to develop - very smooth with the ball, good post moves and a jump shot up to the 3 point line. Tremendous length and mobility.

Basically our only chance to even draft this type of talent at #15 are those rumblings about motor.

Unless he's a true head case I expect Riley to take on the challenge, and guide this kid into reaching his potential. That's the all point of having a strong coaching staff and structure as a organization - you don't need that structure for guys like Bam and UD - they'll hold themselves accountable.

Nice kids with subpar talent and below average tools won't win us chips.
Sometimes you just need to bet on talent, and make sure you bring the best out of immature players.

I recommend reading about the 3 time current MVP history - his temper tantrums, issues with conditioning, love for the game..etc.

Nuggets helped him get his chit together and they're reaping the rewards.

This team has been lacking in talent for years, and with free agency dead we really need to bring in the best talent we can every chance we got.

I love the talent. I don't think I have a means of finding out about the other stuff unfortunately. But, I don't want Miami to just ignore it because of the talent. I def do want Miami to not just take rumors at face value, and investigate the person and the truth here.

Michael Beasley had more talent than the entire draft class. KZ Okpala had more raw talent than half this draft class. Hassan Whiteside put up triple doubles with blocks and it was fun as hell to watch. The NBA realized that he consistently made dumb and lazy decisions on the floor that put team success in compromised positions despite his numbers. And Miami could only get him to play straight for small stretches. He ended his career in China and Puerto Rico.

Some guys in the Heat organization have to have a real enough relationship with Mike Woodson to get his "off the record" honest assessment.

There's nothing I'd love more than for Kel'el Ware to bring all of his talent to Miami paired with a strong work ethic and drive to compete. That version of Ware would be an absolute steal.

He's one of the wild cards in the draft to me.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#903 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 3:56 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:Two guys that strike me as likely busts: Matas Buzelis & Cody Williams. Their play this year hasn't really inspired me and their combine results leave a lot to be desired. Idk if Matas will every develop a consistent 3. And Cody Williams is worryingly light and weak.

I'm with you. I look at Matas as being considered a consensus top 10 pick and I look at Jovic being one year older than him and think if Jovic was in this draft as the 18-year old that Miami drafted at pick 27, he clears Buzelis. If Jovic was in the draft as the 20 year old player he is today, he might be a top 3 pick.

If Cody Williams showed big athletic traits, I might get excited about his potential. As it stands, he's just a slender man with a NBA brother. If I'm drafting a long slender wing with that athletic profile, give me Kyshawn George who is at least a NBA quality 3-point sniper.

I'm grateful for those guys being consensus top 10 picks as it hopefully allows more interesting prospects to drop to Miami at 15.

Matas is a bewildering lotto pick. How did that happen? Hes done nothing to prove his standing.

The NBA loves their oversized euro guards. We even have one ourselves.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 212

Post#904 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 4:33 pm

Idk, does anyone have any scouts that are high on Ware? I NEED to hear some positivity somewhere. The ones I have been following are talking lower and lower on him even as the combine goes. On the locked on Big Board podcast they even think he might fall to the 30s.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,994

Post#905 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed May 15, 2024 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#906 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter

I think Bub is gonna be a real deal shooter at the next level.

A lot of analysts think FT percentage and 3PA rate are 2 of the better indicators for NBA 3 pt shooting success. Bub averaged over 6 3PA per game and his form and ability to find his shot looks pure. He also shot 50% on 2-pt jumpshots (not including anything at the rim). That's some real deal midrange game.

For whatever it's worth, he also ended the season on a heater. His averages for his last 5 games were 19 ppg 5 rpg 4 apg shooting 50% FG and 44.7% 3PT (7.6 3PA per game over that stretch)
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#907 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter

1.03 ppp on off-the-dribble jumpers (86th percentile)
0.96 ppp on catch and shoot jumpers (44th percentile)
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,578

Post#908 » by twix2500 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=_XbmqKGknYpweTt_y-3tTA&s=19

This kid is turning heads
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#909 » by greg4012 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:15 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=_XbmqKGknYpweTt_y-3tTA&s=19

This kid is turning heads

One of the real NBA shooters in the draft. Questionable defense (as can be expected). I wonder if he's playing himself into the 1st round.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#910 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu May 16, 2024 6:47 am

lastb1ckman wrote:Idk, does anyone have any scouts that are high on Ware? I NEED to hear some positivity somewhere. The ones I have been following are talking lower and lower on him even as the combine goes. On the locked on Big Board podcast they even think he might fall to the 30s.

There are plenty to choose from :

Kel'el Ware - Just scorers like a natural baller, 9-4.5 standing reach + quickness + his touch = gold

So your'e telling me there's a 7'0 20YO with a monstrous 7'7 wingsapn that just shot 42% from 3 while blocking 2 shots per game as a Sophomore..

And we're picking Anthony Carter 2.0?! :cry:

RexBoyWonder has been writing for RealGM since 2008. As a former neighborhood prodigy he considered himself a "semi professional scout", his hate for smallball equals only his love for Heat basketball.
His previous scouting reports include strong endorsements of Mario Hezonja, Justise Winslow, and many others.
Pokuokic
Senior
And1: 934

Post#911 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 16, 2024 9:29 am

Djurisic cooking at the scrimmages on day 3 tried to tell you guys, 6'7 combo who will get better shooting easy Herro replacement with defense/playmaking and more athletic ability.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#912 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu May 16, 2024 11:27 am

Pokuokic wrote:Djurisic cooking at the scrimmages on day 3 tried to tell you guys, 6'7 combo who will get better shooting easy Herro replacement with defense/playmaking and more athletic ability.

You think he's going undrafted?
Pokuokic
Senior

Post#913 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 16, 2024 12:15 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
Pokuokic wrote:Djurisic cooking at the scrimmages on day 3 tried to tell you guys, 6'7 combo who will get better shooting easy Herro replacement with defense/playmaking and more athletic ability.

You think he's going undrafted?

Nah he played too well in the last 10 games to end the season where he was a MVP ABA level player, some now have him as high as #20, prior to the final 10 games or so he looked like he was going undrafted/late 2nd but now it's late 1/early 2nd something just clicked. Also had like 3-4 dunks in the halfcourt off the bounce as well in scrimmage.....
Read on Twitter
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#914 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:24 pm

Can you recommend some youtube/video footage of him to check out his game?
Pokuokic
Senior

Post#915 » by Pokuokic » Thu May 16, 2024 12:37 pm

greg4012 wrote:

Theres the whole scrimmage from today
(#42 in blue)

You can watch every single full game from this season (I recommend from rounds 17-24 and the playins where he become a beast) here (he plays for Mega Basket)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI2DGUaFuXruSTDWx96vqtXbIH4wXC5Qz

Just highlights
;pp=ygUPbmlrb2xhIGRqdXJpc2lj
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#916 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:43 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
Just highlights

Is that Heat legend Zoran Dragic around the 2:08 mark??!
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#917 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 pm

Pokuokic wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Theres the whole scrimmage from today
(#42 in blue)

You can watch every single full game from this season (I recommend from rounds 17-24 and the playins where he become a beast) here (he plays for Mega Basket)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLI2DGUaFuXruSTDWx96vqtXbIH4wXC5Qz

Just highlights

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a promising NBA prospect and also like a wild man out there. I wonder if he has some sort of hitch or finger thing going on with his shot that gives it an off-kilter spin. In the highlights I've seen the ball does some unorthodox things once it touches the rim. I wouldn't be surprised if he tweaks his technique and his percentages jump up.

Nice blend of skills if he can get that shot more consistent. I will check out some more.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#918 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 16, 2024 1:11 pm

Simon stressed going BPA with the picks regardless of needs so with that being said. The BPA’s at 15 are most likely going to be guards like Carter, McCain, or Collier. Really would like da Silva but the upside with the guards might trump the fit of da Silva. Honestly just hope we work out and pick the guy we like instead of the one that slips from mock drafts.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#919 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu May 16, 2024 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Great news fam. Collier is represented by BJ Armstrong.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#920 » by greg4012 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:17 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Simon stressed going BPA with the picks regardless of needs so with that being said. The BPA’s at 15 are most likely going to be guards like Carter, McCain, or Collier(hope no Klutch). Really would like da Silva but the upside with the guards might trump the fit of da Silva. Honestly just hope we work out and pick the guy we like instead of the one that slips from mock drafts.

I'm fairly confident that the Miami FO is unmoved by and wholly disinterested in mock drafts and media consensus

Return to Miami Heat