ImageImageImage

Pat Riley coming back talk

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,609

Re: Pat Riley coming back talk 

Post#21 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I thought Spo did an admirable job considering the talent he had to work with last season. 3 games shy of 50 victories with an aging O'neal, a soft Beasley and backups for PG's most of which knew they weren't going to be here next season. I thought that Toronto would have done better with the talent they had at the beginning of the season. Thus, Coach Spo has earned the right to at least have a crack at coaching a good if not great team.

Actually, it could be possible that not a single player except Wade from last years team will be a starter this year, period. Well done, Spo. . .

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#22 » by Flash3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Miami's Finest wrote:lol @ Spo knowing X and O's better than Riley. Have you seen some of our play calls to end games or defend plays to end games?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but please keep the energy bus posters away. And Yeah if Spo gets fired it probably wont be Riley, just b/c I know he's hoping these guys have continuity for the next 6 years and I doubt he wants to be around coaching that long.

Have you seen some of the players we've had that are executing those plays?

For all we know, Spoelstra could be calling the right plays and yet, the players aren't executing it to perfection. That DOES NOT rest on the shoulders of Spoesltra, but on the players for lack of complete execution.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Flash3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:52 pm

MiamiHeat04 wrote:A dynasty team needs a dynasty type coach like the legendary Riley not Spoelstra or Stan Van Gundy. I hope Spoelstra is fired because when it comes to the Finals or playoffs he will be outcoach by Doc Rivers and especially Phil Jackson.

You do know that Riley was brought out of the broadcast booth to coach the Lakers Showtime, right? He wasn't proven, one bit. For that matter, Spolestra has proven more than Riley did before he was presented great talent.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
dflash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 157

Post#24 » by dflash3 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:08 pm

I have been one of biggest Spoelstra complainers who bitched about his rotation every single game. However, I really really hope Spoelstra proves to me all his critics wrong, so Riley doesn't have to come back or hire a new coach. I really hope it works out.
CarMalone
Sixth Man
And1: 2,628

Post#25 » by CarMalone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

You can bet Spoelstra will be panicking after his first two game losing streak,
MJ is the GOAT, but LeBron can be if he does 2 of the following:
[X] Win another FMVP
[ ] Win another MVP
[X] 40K/10K/10K career

ACHIEVED 3/2/2024
Miamis_Finest
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Miamis_Finest » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 pm

If Pat Riley really wanted to coach he would have made the move already. Spoelstra couldve been hired by another team already so Im pretty sure that means Pat wont leave him out to dry at this point. unless spo messes up really bad this year, he'll be the coach for a long time. The players love him and fully support him. Wade doesnt want Riley to coach and LeBron says the same thing so dont plan on anything happening
-The Future Miami Heat GM
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,161

Post#27 » by Flash4thewin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Miamis_Finest wrote:If Pat Riley really wanted to coach he would have made the move already. Spoelstra couldve been hired by another team already so Im pretty sure that means Pat wont leave him out to dry at this point. unless spo messes up really bad this year, he'll be the coach for a long time. The players love him and fully support him. Wade doesnt want Riley to coach and LeBron says the same thing so dont plan on anything happening

What team was looking at Spo?
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#28 » by mopper8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:37 pm

LOL @ thinking X's & O's = plays out of time outs.

I don't know if you noticed this, but Miami was a top-10 defense in 08-09 and a top-5 defense in 09-10, and its not because we had some awesome defensive roster. That's straight schemes. Spo has down a brilliant job at drawing up defensive schemes that fit our players' strengths.

Here's what David Thorpe thinks:

Erik Spoelstra is a very bright guy. If he doesn't have the roster for it, he's not going to play a classic defensive scheme and get crushed. He will strategize with what he has.
hat about Erik Spoelstra as coach of this team?

Erik has known this league more or less his entire life. I can just imagine Wade telling James "He's one of us! He's our guy." He as a low-level assistant when Wade was a rookie, and he put in work. You want to shoot at 4 a.m.? He was there. They grew up together.

But watch that team: He's an alpha male. There's no doubt he's ready to take charge at any time. But he's also a little bit of a new-breed coach who is not afraid to ask "What do you think we should do?"

I don't think Phil Jackson ignores the wants and needs of his best players. He integrates their best ideas into the team's plan. If you have a good idea for the team, you call Coach Spoelstra. He might disagree for some reason, but if it makes sense, he'll probably try it. He doesn't have an ego like that. That matters.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... s-analysis

I mean, I can't really take a poster seriously talking about Spo if you think he doesn't know how to draw up defensive schemes.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#29 » by mopper8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Flash4thewin wrote:
Miamis_Finest wrote:If Pat Riley really wanted to coach he would have made the move already. Spoelstra couldve been hired by another team already so Im pretty sure that means Pat wont leave him out to dry at this point. unless spo messes up really bad this year, he'll be the coach for a long time. The players love him and fully support him. Wade doesnt want Riley to coach and LeBron says the same thing so dont plan on anything happening

Philly for one, I believe NJ was another, there were reports that a lot of teams were interested when speculation was Riles was going to coach.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Flash3 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 am

mopper8 wrote:
Flash4thewin wrote:

Philly for one, I believe NJ was another, there were reports that a lot of teams were interested when speculation was Riles was going to coach.
NO was the other.

People really don't know how smart Spoesltra is. Yes, he makes mistakes, and plenty of them at that. But, the talent he had at his disposal made some of his non-calls stick out.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ifrosty13
Head Coach
And1: 1,362

Post#31 » by ifrosty13 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 am

fine.. ill back down!

I just dont like that he looks so unconfident during games. it's like he's scared to tell his players what they need to do. He needs better motivation tactics and a lot more self esteem.
MiamiHeat04
Starter
And1: 134

Post#32 » by MiamiHeat04 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:01 am

Flash3 wrote:
MiamiHeat04 wrote:A dynasty team needs a dynasty type coach like the legendary Riley not Spoelstra or Stan Van Gundy. I hope Spoelstra is fired because when it comes to the Finals or playoffs he will be outcoach by Doc Rivers and especially Phil Jackson.

You do know that Riley was brought out of the broadcast booth to coach the Lakers Showtime, right? He wasn't proven, one bit. For that matter, Spolestra has proven more than Riley did before he was presented great talent.

you do know that Dynasty for Riley is having 10 championship in 13 years like the Celtics.One of many reasons why he only mentions the Celtics as the only true dynasty team. Riley feels like this team can win more than 5 championships and it wouldnt be right if Riley didnt atleast try to coach this team. Spoelstra is nice player coach but i feel that his experience at playoffs will cost this team a championship. If we dont win this year we will be viewed as a FAILURE although i know there are many years left. Still i just dont trust spoelstra to guide us there IMO.
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,273

Post#33 » by Hoops23 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:14 am

Inspite the fact Riley is better than Spo and the better fit to coach the Heat, I think he should not fire Spo and go back to coaching.

In the playoffs where you will see the value of a Pat Riley, Phil Jax and the larry Brown's of the world. In the regular season, you will not probably notice their value. Look what SVG in the playoffs, either with Miami or Orlando. SVG's team are exciting as D' Antoni's Phoenix Suns but in the playoffs where you see the difference.

Riley should let Spo coach the Heat. I believe somewhere in the regular season Spo will make mistakes and will show a need to replace him with Riley. Then thats the right time for Riley to come back.

For the mentime, let Spo be the coach until he's doing good. If he do well, then let him be the coach for a long time.
Miami's Finest
Starter
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Miami's Finest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:17 am

mopper8 wrote:LOL @ thinking X's & O's = plays out of time outs.

I don't know if you noticed this, but Miami was a top-10 defense in 08-09 and a top-5 defense in 09-10, and its not because we had some awesome defensive roster. That's straight schemes. Spo has down a brilliant job at drawing up defensive schemes that fit our players' strengths.

Here's what David Thorpe thinks:

Erik Spoelstra is a very bright guy. If he doesn't have the roster for it, he's not going to play a classic defensive scheme and get crushed. He will strategize with what he has.
hat about Erik Spoelstra as coach of this team?

Erik has known this league more or less his entire life. I can just imagine Wade telling James "He's one of us! He's our guy." He as a low-level assistant when Wade was a rookie, and he put in work. You want to shoot at 4 a.m.? He was there. They grew up together.

But watch that team: He's an alpha male. There's no doubt he's ready to take charge at any time. But he's also a little bit of a new-breed coach who is not afraid to ask "What do you think we should do?"

I don't think Phil Jackson ignores the wants and needs of his best players. He integrates their best ideas into the team's plan. If you have a good idea for the team, you call Coach Spoelstra. He might disagree for some reason, but if it makes sense, he'll probably try it. He doesn't have an ego like that. That matters.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_ ... s-analysis

I mean, I can't really take a poster seriously talking about Spo if you think he doesn't know how to draw up defensive schemes.

Sorry how could I ever think drawing up plays from a timeout could be considered X and O's??? LOL lets give words new meaning to defend the guy now. Whatever you want to call it, he sucked. I dont care how bad your players are, simple things like defending the basket or pressuring the inbounder when theres 1 second left in a game is simple stuff (did you watch the Boston game?).

And David Thorpe defending Spo is kind of pointless when I saw for my self how many close games he lost with moronic subs and horrible play calls. Any time a superior coach such as Larry Brown would make simple tactical moves such as going with 3 guards or playing with a big lineup Spo would have no answer and just stick to his set in gold sub pattern. But hopefully he wont need to be quick on his feet and he becomes a good coach. If he needs to be replaced that would set us back a while so lets hope that doesn't happen.

You have to admit Spo made many mistakes last season, especially down the stretch of close games. But I would like nothing better for him to become the greatest coach of all time.

Return to Miami Heat