ImageImageImage

Will Patrick Beverley start at PG for Miami?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

juror1
Banned User
And1: 0

Will Patrick Beverley start at PG for Miami? 

Post#1 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Just wondering what the opinions are on who will be the starting PG in Miami. There's been some talk about LeBron moving to the position, and some ill-informed speculation that Mario Chalmers will be the next Rajon Rondo, though there has been little talk about Patrick Beverley. IMO the guy has decent upside, I'm not sure he can be compared to Rondo, but given he's really athletic and strong on defense he's a better comparison than Chalmers. Like I said he's athletic, strong on defense, aggressive on offense though there are questions whether he has the passing ability to take it to the next level, though he's a definite back up or third PG in the league. Thoughts?
indiegrind
Rookie
And1: 230

Re: Will Pat Beverley start at PG for Miami? 

Post#2 » by indiegrind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

you began the post by asking if he will start, and ended it by calling him a back up or third.

Do you really think he will start ahead of both chalmers and arroyo?

He will be lucky if we see him on the final roster
YFZblu
Assistant Coach
And1: 412

Post#3 » by YFZblu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm

jayks1 wrote:Just wondering what the opinions are on who will be the starting PG in Miami. There's been some talk about LeBron moving to the position, and some ill-informed speculation that Maria Chalmers will be the next Rajon Rondo, though there has been little talk about Patrick Beverley. IMO the guy has decent upside, I'm not sure he can be compared to Rondo, but given he's really athletic and strong on defense he's a better comparison than Chalmers. Like I said he's athletic, strong on defense, aggressive on offense though there are questions whether he has the passing ability to take it to the next level, though he's a definite back up or third PG in the league. Thoughts?

It's Chalmers job to lose.
juror1
Banned User

Post#4 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:17 pm

indiegrind wrote:you began the post by asking if he will start, and ended it by calling him a back up or third.

Do you really think he will start ahead of both chalmers and arroyo?

He will be lucky if we see him on the final roster

Actually I didn't, I think you might have just been confused by the title, I said "just wondering what the opinions are on who will be the starting PG in Miami". Also I think as it stands right now he's ahead of Chalmers in the depth chart. He signed a two year guaranteed contract (whereas Chalmers is a free agent next summer), he's two years younger, has greater upside, and some would argue he's a better player right now. The point of my post was that if there is a project point guard in Miami - similar to what Rondo was at the beginning of his career - it is Beverley and not Chalmers.

It is quite possible he will be the starting point guard as well this season.
indiegrind
Rookie
And1: 230

Post#5 » by indiegrind » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm

I thought it was reported he was non-guaranteed, i didnt know he was guaranteed. I agree he is definitely a good project point guard, but i dont see him cracking the starting role for awhile. I dont think they would have brought back arroyo if they really were considering playing him any serious minutes.
juror1
Banned User

Post#6 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:30 pm

indiegrind wrote:I thought it was reported he was non-guaranteed, i didnt know he was guaranteed. I agree he is definitely a good project point guard, but i dont see him cracking the starting role for awhile. I dont think they would have brought back arroyo if they really were considering playing him any serious minutes.

Yeah you might be right, Arroyo is good insurance. For the future though I read somewhere (it was second hand) that Riley loves Beverley, called him a "Miami type of player" or something. I'm just wondering if this kid could be something really special down the road if he's developed properly. He's got an interesting story too, started at Arkansas I think, got kicked out for cheating on a paper, then after his Sophomore year no one wanted to draft him because of personality issues (just that he cheated, he's not a head case) so he went to Europe for a year - played in Ukraine of all places. He ended up sinking into the second round when he's a first round talent in 2009 and then played in Greece with Childress and Linas Kleiza last year.
Mind Bullets
Senior

Re: Will Patrick Beverley start at PG for Miami? 

Post#7 » by Mind Bullets » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:37 pm

If his D is as good as advertised Beverley might get some PT...but hes not starting.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#8 » by Flash3 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:46 pm

Def may get some PT. But, starting? No way!
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
juror1
Banned User

Post#9 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Just read this after I posted, it's an interview of Beverley during the summer league. http://www.hothothoops.com/2010/07/15/p ... interview/

You know what, I think this guy at some point this year starts, having read a bunch of stuff on him seen some footage of him playing and some interviews, I think come October he was intended to be the best kept secret, but he'll be starting a few games this year.
WiseOwlWins
Senior
And1: 170

Post#10 » by WiseOwlWins » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:44 pm

chalmers will start
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#11 » by HIF » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:49 pm

jayks1 wrote:Just read this after I posted, it's an interview of Beverley during the summer league. http://www.hothothoops.com/2010/07/15/p ... interview/

You know what, I think this guy at some point this year starts, having read a bunch of stuff on him seen some footage of him playing and some interviews, I think come October he was intended to be the best kept secret, but he'll be starting a few games this year.

Are you PBev in disguise?

His offense is terrible, I'd be worried every time he had the ball in his hands. There are better options for good defender out there - I don't see him getting any PT and I don't expect him on the roster at the end of the season.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
juror1
Banned User

Post#12 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:53 pm

HIF wrote:
jayks1 wrote:Just read this after I posted, it's an interview of Beverley during the summer league. http://www.hothothoops.com/2010/07/15/p ... interview/

Are you PBev in disguise?

His offense is terrible, I'd be worried every time he had the ball in his hands. There are better options for good defender out there - I don't see him getting any PT and I don't expect him on the roster at the end of the season.

What part of his offense are you referring to? I've heard he's a very good scorer, and while when he came out of college his passing was weak, he's greatly improved that part of his game since.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#13 » by LApwnd » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I dont know if his IQ effects his game, but I watched the documentary about him in high school "Hoops Dreams 2" he got booted off his high school team mid-way through his senior yr and got booted off Arkansas as well into his softmore year.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,177

Post#14 » by dolphinatik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:04 pm

the movie you are referring to it called Hoop Reality.

He has the skills and was primarily a scorer. Back in 2007 he led Team USA U19 team to a championship on a team that included, Beasley, Steph Curry, Johnny Flynn.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/mu19_2007.html

This kid has the capability of being a starting PG but its up to him to go get it. Dunno if it will happen for him here but he does have skills on both ends even if he didnt display that in Summer League play. Opening night starter is a stretch but if someone opens the door they might not get their spot back.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,177

Post#15 » by dolphinatik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:07 pm

HEADER
PATRICK BEVERLEY
Point Guard/Shooting Guard
Dnipro Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine
6:00.2-179
Chicago, Illinois
University of Arkansas
Marshall High School

OVERVIEW
Beverley burst onto the scene at Arkansas, becoming the only player in school history to earn Southeastern Conference Freshman of the Year honors. He was also the first player in Razorbacks annals to be named Associated Press SEC Newcomer of the Year.

His sophomore was a bit of a different story. While he became the shortest player in school history to lead the team in rebounds during the season (231 for a 6.6 per-game average in 2007-08), but the season was marred by inconsistent play. Beverley experienced a turbulent year off the court, which led to him eventually leaving the university. Arkansas head coach John Pelphrey disciplined Beverley multiple times during his sophomore season. He was suspended for an exhibition game in Cancun, Mexico, for missing the team bus, and he missed the Red-White Game for academic reasons.

The Morning News ran a story claiming that Beverley also dealt with a paternity suit in January 2008, in which the mother of his child accused him of not paying child support and of receiving money from an agent. At the time, Beverley was deemed eligible by Arkansas.

On Aug. 8, 2008, a release issued by the school stated that, "Junior guard Patrick Beverley will not compete for the Razorbacks in the 2008-09 basketball season. The University of Arkansas, including its administrators and coaches, will have no further comment due to student privacy laws."

CBSSports.com first reported on its Web site through an anonymous source that Beverley, Arkansas' leading returning scorer would miss the season because of academic reasons. The details of those reasons weren't identified in the report. ESPN.com cited sources saying that Beverley wouldn't transfer but would consider turning professional and playing overseas, which he eventually did, signing with Dnipro-Ukraine for the 2008-09 season.

Beverley was interviewed by FoxSports.com one week later, when he told reporter Jeff Goodman that his departure had nothing to do with academics but that he committed an NCAA violation. "It had nothing to do with academics," Beverley told FoxSports.com at the time.

Three days after that report, Beverley hinted to the Sporting News that his departure was related to an academic issue. In the report, Beverley said he talked with the coaching staff and got the impression that his ineligibility was related to a paper for a class.

It was later revealed that he was part of an academic scandal, as Beverley claimed in an interview with DraftExpress.com that he and teammates at Arkansas had class papers written for them. That, he says, was the reason he was declared ineligible and he left the Arkansas basketball team to play professionally overseas.

"Someone from Arkansas was doing papers, was doing me and some of my teammates' papers," he said. "Basically, instead of ratting my team out, I just said it was just me. I was forced to have a year of ineligibility."

As a senior at Chicago Marshall High, Beverley led the state in scoring with 37.3 points per game, as he also averaged 8.0 steals, 6.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds while leading his team to a third-place finish in Class AA with a 35-3 record. He scored 40 or more points nine times and 30 or more 18 times, and made nine threes in a career-high 48-point outing. Beverley shot 56 percent from the field, 44.8 percent from 3-point range and 91.2 percent from the foul line. He was rated the 59th-best prospect in the nation and the 14th-best shooting guard by Scout.com, and the 64th-best player in the nation by Rivals.com.

As a senior, Beverley finished third in voting for Mr. Basketball in the state of Illinois. He earned All-State and All-City honors, was named co-Player of the Year and set a record for the most points scored in a season. As a junior, he averaged 26 points on a 28-2 squad.

After his senior season, Beverley was selected to play in the Roundball Classic, a national all-star game played in the United Center at Chicago on April 8, 2006. He had 13 points, six assists and three steals in helping the West to a 118-102 victory over the East.

Beverley signed with Arkansas after also considering Michigan, St. John's, Virginia, Wake Forest, Indiana, DePaul, Florida State, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Arizona State, Purdue and Missouri, among others. His scoring average as a senior (37.3) was the highest for an incoming freshman at Arkansas since 1987 when Cannon Whitby averaged 40 points as a senior at Obion County (Tenn.) High in 1986.

In 2006-07, Beverley was named the Southeastern Conference's Newcomer and Freshman of the Year. He ranked among SEC individual leaders in nine of 13 categories. He was 16th in the SEC in scoring (13.9), tied for 29th in rebounding (4.5), 15th in assists (3.14), sixth in steals (1.74), third in free-throw percentage (.812), eighth in 3-point percentage (.386), 11th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.57), 12th in 3-point goals per game (2.09) and fourth in minutes played (34.37).

He was named second-team All-SEC, first-team freshman All-American by CollegeInsider.com, second-team All-District IX by the National Association of Basketball Coaches, second-team All-District VII by the United States Basketball Writers Association, three-time SEC Freshman of the Week and Old Spice Classic All-Tournament team member.

During the summer after his freshman season, Beverley led the USA Basketball Under-19 team to a silver medal finish in the World Championships at Serbia. The U.S. went 8-1 with Beverley leading the team in scoring (13.0), assists (3.2) and steals (3.4). He tied for second in rebounding (5.3), was second in three-point shooting (.394, 13-33) and third in free-throw shooting (.750, 18-24). He set a USA Basketball team record with 31 steals, shattering the previous mark of 20 set by Buck Johnson in 1983, and tied for fourth with 29 assists.

A preseason All-SEC choice entering the 2007-08 campaign, Beverley did not produce the eye-opening numbers he had as a freshman. In 35 games, he averaged 12.1 points, 2.4 assists, 1.3 steals and 0.5 blocks per game. He was the only SEC player under 6:01 to rank among the league's top rebounders, as he became the first player under 6:04 to lead the Razorbacks in rebounds (6.6 per game).

Beverley's 6.6 rebound average was the best for a Razorback since Dionisio Gomez led the team with 6.6 in 2002-03. The last Hog with a better average was Derek Hood with an SEC-leading 10.3 in 1998-99.

Beverley appeared in 46 games for Dnipro Dnepropetrovsk in the Ukrainian UBL Division during the 2008-09 season. He logged 1,645 minutes of action, averaging 16.7 points per game, hitting on 45 percent of his two-point field goals and 38 percent from 3-point range. He pulled down 321 rebounds (7.0 per game), handed out 194 assists (2.8 per game), blocked 30 shots (0.4 per game) and had 105 steals (1.5 per game), but was also charged with 162 personal fouls.

2008-09 SEASON
Beverly joined Dnipro Dnepropetrovsk, competing in the Ukrainian UBL Division...Logged 1,645 minutes on the court while appearing in 46 games...Totaled 766 points (16.7 per game), as he delivered on 45.0 percent of his two-point field goals (254 of 565), shot 38.0 percent from 3-point range (65 of 171) and made 70.0 percent of his free throws (193 of 276)...Grabbed 321 rebounds (7.0 per game), dished out 164 assists (3.6 per game), had 99 steals (2.2 per game) and blocked 62 shots (1.3 per game)...Despite standing just a shade taller than 6 feet, he finished 6th in the UBL in scoring average, third in rebounds, sixth in blocked shots, second in steals and tenth in assists...Scored in double figures 39 times, producing at least 20 points in 16 of those contests...Also registered eleven double-double performances, tops of any guard in the league.

2007-08 SEASON
Beverley started 33 of 35 games at Arkansas, becoming the shortest player in school history to lead the team in rebounding, finishing fourth in the Southeastern Conference competition with an average of 6.6 boards per game (231 total, including 42 offensive)...
Finished third on the team in scoring with 422 points (12.1 per game), as he hit on 136 of 330 field goals (41.2), made 37.8 percent of his 3-point attempts (65 of 172) and shot 64.4 percent from the foul line (85 of 132)...Had 84 assists (2.4 per game), 44 steals (1.3 per game) and 16 blocked shots (0.5 per game)...Charged with 85 personal fouls and 69 turnovers.

2006-07 SEASON
Became the first Arkansas player to earn Southeastern Conference Newcomer and Fresh-man of the Year honors...Second-team All-SEC pick, adding Freshman All-American first-team honors from CollegeInsider.com and second-team freshman accolades from The NBA Draft Report and Basketball Times...Second-team All-District IX pick by the National Association of Basketball Coaches...Second-team All-District VII choice by the United States Basketball Writers Association...Three-time SEC Freshman of the Week selection and named to the Old Spice Classic all-tournament team...Finished 16th in the SEC in scoring (13.9), tied for 29th in rebounding (4.5), 15th in assists (3.14), sixth in steals (1.74), third in free-throw percentage (.812), eighth in three-point percentage (.386), 11th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.57), 12th in 3-point goals per game (2.09) and fourth in minutes played (34.37)...Led the team in scoring (485 points, a school freshman season-record), steals (61), free-throw shooting (81.2 percent was the best for an Arkansas freshman), 3-point shooting (73 of 189, 38.6 percent), 3-point goals per game and minutes played, and was second in assists and assist-to-turnover ratio (110 assists/70 turnovers)...Led the team in scoring fourteen times, in assists 10 times and in double-figure scoring games 24 times...
In SEC play, he averaged 14.6 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.4 steals while shooting 40.6 percent on threes and 85.3 percent at the line...Was 13th in the league in scoring, 15th in assists, 11th in steals, fourth in 3-point percentage and second in free-throw percentage...Also finished seventh in threes per game (2.4), second in minutes played (36.56) and 13th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.33) to rank among league leaders in eight of 13 areas...Beverley averaged 14.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 16 games at home; 15.0 points 4.6 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 10 road games; 15.1 points, 5.6 boards and 3.4 rebounds in seven games vs. ranked teams; and 15.2 points, 4.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists in 11 games vs. NCAA Tournament teams.

CAREER NOTES
In two seasons at Arkansas, Beverley started 67 of 70 games for the Razorbacks, scoring 907 points (13.0 average) on 286 of 681 field goals (42.0 percent), 138 of 361 3-pointers (38.2 percent) and 197-270 free throws (73.0 percent), logging 2,386 minutes of court action...Grabbed 387 rebounds (5.5 per game) with 194 assists (2.8 per game), 105 steals (1.5 per game) and 30 blocked shots (0.4 per game)...His 485 points scored and 81.2 percentage from the foul line set school freshman season records...His 138 3-point shots made rank ninth in school history...He holds the top two spots on the school's single-season chart for 3-point field goal percentage (37.8 percent in 2007-08 and 38.6 percent in 2006-07)...Holds the school season-record with an average of 1.74 steals per game in 2006-07 (61 total)...His field goal percentage of .818 vs. Auburn in 2008 rank fourth on the school game-record list vs. an SEC opponent...His rebounding average of 6.3 per game rank fifth in Arkansas annals vs. SEC opponents...In 2007-08, Beverley became the shortest player (only one under 6-foot-4) to ever lead the Razorbacks in rebounding average in a season. His 6.6 average was the best for a Razorback since Dionisio Gomez led the team with 6.6 in 2003. The last Hog with a better average was Derek Hood with an SEC-leading 10.3 in 1999.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Marshall (Chicago) High School, playing for head coach Lamont Bryant...
Led the state in scoring with 37.3 points per game, as he also averaged 8.0 steals, 6.0 assists and 6.0 rebounds while leading his team to a third-place finish in Class AA with a 35-3 record...Scored 40 or more points nine times and 30 or more 18 times, and made nine threes in a career-high 48-point outing...That year, Beverley shot 56 percent from the field, 44.8 percent from 3-point range and 91.2 percent from the foul line...Rated the 59th-best prospect in the nation and the 14th-best shooting guard by Scout.com, and the 64th-best player in the nation by Rivals.com...As a senior, Beverley finished third in voting for Mr. Basketball in the state of Illinois...Earned All-State and All-City honors, was named co-Player of the Year and set a record for the most points scored in a season...As a junior, he averaged 26 points on a 28-2 squad.

INJURY REPORT
2007-08: Played the entire Alabama game (1/13) with a dislocated jaw...Suffered another dislocated jaw in the SEC Tournament contest vs. Vanderbilt.

OTHER TOURNAMENTS/TEAMS
USA BASKETBALL: Over the summer during 2007, Beverley led the USA Basketball Under-19 team to a silver medal finish in the World Championships at Serbia...The U.S. went 8-1 with Beverley leading the team in scoring (13.0), assists (3.2) and steals (3.4)...He tied for second in rebounding (5.3), was second in 3-point shooting (.394, 13-33) and third in free-throw shooting (.750, 18-24)...He set a USA Basketball team record with 31 steals, shattering the previous mark of 20 set by Buck Johnson in 1983, and tied for fourth with 29 assists.

SUMMER LEAGUE: After his high school senior year, Beverley was selected to play in the Roundball Classic, a national all-star game played in the United Center at Chicago on April 8, 2006. He had 13 points, six assists and three steals in helping the West to a 118-102 victory over the East.

PERSONAL
Majored in Criminal Justice while attending the University of Arkansas...Son of Lisa Beverley and Patrick Bracy...Born 7/12/88...Resides in Chicago, Ill.

SCOUTING REPORT
Positives: Greatly undersized for the two-guard position, where he is most comfortable playing, Beverley's trek to the Ukraine not only helped him mature off the court, but he received valuable playing time at point guard...He brings impressive intangibles to his game to earn time at both backcourt positions, if a team is patient enough to let him continue to work on his overall game...From first eye contact, he looks frail, but has an impressive wingspan (6 feet, 6 1/2 inches), standing reach (8-2) and leaping ability (37-inch vertical jump), along with freakish court quickness and very good aggressiveness for a player his size...He is a beast under the boards for a little man, becoming the shortest player in Arkansas history to ever lead the team in rebounds...He has an explosive first step to slash on most point guards and while he still looks to create his own shot, he has great determination and good success driving to the basket and making things happen with either hand in the paint...He has developed a very effective jump shot from mid-range and a 38.2 percent success rate from 3-point range indicates he can be dangerous on the perimeter...He has the balance and footwork to make most shots coming off the dribble and simply embarrasses frontcourt defenders with his ability to score under the rim...Draws lots of contact working inside but hasn't become an excellent foul shooter...Sets his feet well and has good step-back ability to get space needed for an uncontested jump shot... Can stop on a dime, showing good form when he pulls up for his mid-range jumper...Has a lot of moxie and will openly challenge big men in the paint, showing nice spin moves and elevation to deliver in traffic...Has improved his court vision -- even with his shoot-first mentality he is a competent passer who has a tight handle...His low center of gravity and lateral quickness are evident when he cuts without the ball and on crossovers...Has excellent range from 3-point territory and a quick, smooth release...Explosive leaper with great timing, converting 64.4 percent of his offensive rebounds into points...Excites the crowd with his passing ability, as he became more alert to his teammates open in the paint, on-target lob passes...Very focused when playing defense, using his long reach to be a nuisance in the passing lanes (99 steals in 46 games last season)...Uses his wingspan and lateral agility to stay in front of shooters, preventing them from getting separation needed to penetrate...While he might get bounced around by bigger opponents fighting through screens, he has that high elevation ability when his feet leave the floor to excel at contesting shots.

Negatives: More aggressive than most guards, but he still lacks the size to play his natural position at the two-guard spot and is still getting his feet wet and learning the responsibilities of being a facilitator at point guard...Likes to drive to the basket, but even though he does a good job of drawing contact, he seems to have lost his stroke at the foul line after a solid freshman season there (shot 81.2 percent that year, but just 64.4 percent and 70 percent the next two seasons)...Streaky shooter who gets too aggressive with the ball in his hands and must learn to keep teammates involved rather than trying to create for himself when nothing is there (has to realize he needs to break down the defense first and foremost in order to find an open target)...His strength is just marginal compared to NBA types, but he might not be able to carry much more bulk without it affecting his quickness (showed up nine pounds heavier at the Reebok Eurocamp and while he moved well on the half-court, his sprint clocking of 3.63 was one of the worst of all guards in attendance).

Compares To: DANIEL GIBSON, Cleveland -- Beverley is a bit of an enigma, and a shooting guard trapped in a point guard's body, albeit one who plays at times like he's a power forward -- flying through the lane with the ball and crashing the boards. He needs time to adjust to the NBA game and can be a very streaky shooter, but when he is hot on the court, he can simply take over games.

--Report by Dave-Te' Thomas
http://nbadraft.rivals.com/bviewplayer. ... 2#scouting

Thats as best a summary you can get on Mr Beverley in case you didnt know about where this prospect came from. He finished 3rd in Mr Basketball for Illinois in 2006 behind John Scheyer and Sheron Collins where Derrick Rose was 5th that year and Evan turner was 15th.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
juror1
Banned User

Post#16 » by juror1 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:21 pm

The more I hear about this guy the more I like. The guy's had a chip on his shoulder for years but he's still around. He just got put into the best situation a guy like him could get, and if he doesn't f*** up again he'll be a star... or at least made to look like one, but he's got what it takes.
Next season a starting five of Beverley, Wade, James, Bosh, Chandler will be unreal... just a prediction, but book it.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#17 » by Heat_team02 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:22 am

Beverley Summer League
25 minutes 5.8 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.25 steals, 1.8 assists 35% FG 70% FT.

His defense especially the full court pressure is something to watch cause it's very pesky.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#18 » by lukekarts » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:39 am

I hope Beverley doesn't make the team. I thought he was horrible in the summer league, sure he's a decent defender, but he's offensively handicapped... just can't run the point or hit open shots at all.

I think Chalmers will start, as he has the right attributes we need from our starting PG, whilst Arroyo will play 18-20 minutes off the bench.

Also, if we keep Beverley, that means Butler won't be with us for the season... and that makes me sad. I have huge hopes for Butler, I think he can be what Dorrel Wright never was
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
Miamis3rdRing
Banned User
And1: 131

Post#19 » by Miamis3rdRing » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:52 am

I thought he was horrible in the summer league, sure he's a decent defender, but he's offensively handicapped... just can't run the point or hit open shots at all.

This.

Can you guys imagine Beverley and Joel in at the same time? Big 3 or not, that's playing 3 on 5. At least Mario and Arroyo can hit open shots.

Chalmers is not Rondo or CP3, but he has the perfect skillset for this team. "The starting PG spot is Mario's to lose". Wade knows it as well.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#20 » by Heat_team02 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:15 pm

lukekarts wrote:I hope Beverley doesn't make the team. I thought he was horrible in the summer league, sure he's a decent defender, but he's offensively handicapped... just can't run the point or hit open shots at all.

I think Chalmers will start, as he has the right attributes we need from our starting PG, whilst Arroyo will play 18-20 minutes off the bench.

Also, if we keep Beverley, that means Butler won't be with us for the season... and that makes me sad. I have huge hopes for Butler, I think he can be what Dorrel Wright never was

I think he signed a 2 year 1.4 million contract so he'll make the team. There's no way he will start but I like his bulldog hop in front of you & swipe for the steal defense and he's light on his feet with some hops.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to Miami Heat