ImageImageImage

Coach SPO thread.

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Re: Coach SPO thread. 

Post#221 » by thinktellectual » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:08 am

PaulieWal wrote:
Temuhjan wrote:I am being conservative here. I am thinking of 40 wins. I am particularly pessimistic how long Wade's knees can hold up now that he is back as the Team's #1 scoring option.

I see him breaking down by the All-Star break, but the Team will still see some entertaining basketball with a starting lineup of Napier-Deng-Ennis-McRoberts-Bosh.

Disappointed in you man, unless you were trolling the Cavs forum :noway:.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1335746

I have nothing against fans of players, but he's such a bad poster that I hope he moves to the Cavs board.
thinktellectual
Rookie

Post#222 » by thinktellectual » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:21 am

heat4life wrote:
contract wrote:
heat4life wrote:I think Wade at this stage can be somewhere around 22ppg scorer ...

I wouldn't count on that. If he's asked to score more, his efficiency will decline significantly. And if he plays enough to score 22 points per game, his knee will be a major issue again, he'll miss a pile of games again, and we'll miss the playoffs. Bosh needs to carry the biggest share of the offensive load. That means scoring more as well as creating more for others. If he's taking max money, then he needs to take max responsibility. Beyond that, the offensive load needs to be distributed broadly.

So asking Wade to score 3 more points per game and take 3 more shots attempts unrealistic? :roll:
And if you read my whole post, I was giving Bosh the bigger leap on points and shot attempts. I don't think any of those numbers are out of the question as long as there are no injuries. I don't want a single focus on our offense. I want to see McRoberts and Chalmers in double digits average and Deng at his average of 15-16 ppg..balance and ball movement is the key for Miami to move forward, especially during the playoffs..

Yes, it is.

First, it assumes an efficiency of 50%.

Second, Wade (just like everybody else) will no longer benefit from defenses focused on Lebron.
He'll get much more defensive attention, and if he's asked to score more, his efficiency will take a BIG dip.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#223 » by HIF » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:32 am

thinktellectual wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:
Temuhjan wrote:I am being conservative here. I am thinking of 40 wins. I am particularly pessimistic how long Wade's knees can hold up now that he is back as the Team's #1 scoring option.

I see him breaking down by the All-Star break, but the Team will still see some entertaining basketball with a starting lineup of Napier-Deng-Ennis-McRoberts-Bosh.

I have nothing against fans of players, but he's such a bad poster that I hope he moves to the Cavs board.

Sure that I've seen him posting there.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,786

Post#224 » by contract » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:52 pm

thinktellectual wrote:2. So they were tired after 3 straight title runs, but they'll be just fine after 4 straight title runs ?

He's probably talking about the psychological pressure that comes with that kind of run.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#225 » by heat4life » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:46 pm

thinktellectual wrote:
heat4life wrote:
contract wrote:I wouldn't count on that. If he's asked to score more, his efficiency will decline significantly. And if he plays enough to score 22 points per game, his knee will be a major issue again, he'll miss a pile of games again, and we'll miss the playoffs. Bosh needs to carry the biggest share of the offensive load. That means scoring more as well as creating more for others. If he's taking max money, then he needs to take max responsibility. Beyond that, the offensive load needs to be distributed broadly.

So asking Wade to score 3 more points per game and take 3 more shots attempts unrealistic? :roll:
And if you read my whole post, I was giving Bosh the bigger leap on points and shot attempts. I don't think any of those numbers are out of the question as long as there are no injuries. I don't want a single focus on our offense. I want to see McRoberts and Chalmers in double digits average and Deng at his average of 15-16 ppg..balance and ball movement is the key for Miami to move forward, especially during the playoffs..

Yes, it is.

Second, Wade (just like everybody else) will no longer benefit from defenses focused on Lebron.
He'll get much more defensive attention, and if he's asked to score more, his efficiency will take a BIG dip.

Wade shoots 49% for his career. He has shot over 50% in 3 of the last 4 seasons (49.7% the one season he didn't). He shot 54% last season. There is nothing out there that tells me he can't shoot 50% unless he takes a stupid pill and starts shooting 3's at a high rate.

As for your point about Wade being the focus, this is not a player that has shied from it or that has never done it before. I give respect to Lebron for who he is and what he has accomplished but I am not going to be one to say our team was crap and Lebron. We surrounded him with good players and two of them - Wade and Bosh - are perennial all stars who have led teams on their own before. Wade is not Mo Williams.

I have no doubts that Wade can hit one more basket and hit one free throw more per game (3 points) to get to 22ppg or around that. Wade still can play, maybe he won't jump as high but he has evolved with his game. The only concerns with Wade - as always - is his health.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
thinktellectual
Rookie

Post#226 » by thinktellectual » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:05 pm

heat4life wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
heat4life wrote:So asking Wade to score 3 more points per game and take 3 more shots attempts unrealistic? :roll:

Yes, it is.

Wade shoots 49% for his career. He has shot over 50% in 3 of the last 4 seasons (49.7% the one season he didn't). He shot 54% last season. There is nothing out there that tells me he can't shoot 50% unless he takes a stupid pill and starts shooting 3's at a high rate.

As for your point about Wade being the focus, this is not a player that has shied from it or that has never done it before. I give respect to Lebron for who he is and what he has accomplished but I am not going to be one to say our team was crap and Lebron. We surrounded him with good players and two of them - Wade and Bosh - are perennial all stars who have led teams on their own before. Wade is not Mo Williams.

I have no doubts that Wade can hit one more basket and hit one free throw more per game (3 points) to get to 22ppg or around that. Wade still can play, maybe he won't jump as high but he has evolved with his game. The only concerns with Wade - as always - is his health.

You seem to think "health" is a binary value (true or false).
It's not. It can affect a player's game a little, a lot or completely (as in he has to retire).
Wade was awesome till 2011, but his athletic decline was hidden by the fact that he had Lebron on the team.
Let me ask you this: when was the last time you saw Wade split a double team ?
That was his signature move.
Now without Lebron, Wade's weaknesses will be exposed. Just like Spoelstra's.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#227 » by RJM » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:56 pm

thinktellectual wrote:
heat4life wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
Yes, it is.

It's not. It can affect a player's game a little, a lot or completely (as in he has to retire).
Wade was awesome till 2011, but his athletic decline was hidden by the fact that he had Lebron on the team.

His weaknesses were exposed in 2013. Spoelstra's not the same coach that guided this team to 47 wins before LeBron arrived. He's much improved.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#228 » by PaulieWal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:00 pm

thinktellectual wrote:
PaulieWal wrote:

That's the point. Player fans for the most part tend to be annoying posters with very few rare exceptions. It is also funny to see all the people who used to post here for the past 4 years now go to the Cavs forum. The best is the guy who changed his name and removed Heat from his username.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#229 » by heat4life » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:10 pm

thinktellectual wrote:
heat4life wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
Yes, it is.

You are reaching. I don't know where you get that I think health is binary. Players play hurt in the NBA. "Healthy" is a relative term in sports. I am basing my prediction on what I have seen from Wade (healthy or unhealthy) over the last couple of seasons. You don't agree Wade can increase his points-per-game by a mere 3pts, fine. If you think Wade lost some weapons from his arsenal, great but keep in mind that same Wade averaged 19ppg last season shooting 54% without getting the ball as much as Lebron. I think he can manage to hit a basket and ft more with those added opportunities.

It feels like you signed up to the "Lebron was everything" to this Heat team. I don't. There are going to be several games we lose because Lebron is no longer on the team to bail us out but I just don't believe Wade and Bosh are going to lay down and become ordinary at basketball. Maybe he won't split a double team again but as long as his game matures to his physical abilities, I take my chances with Wade.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
antistrat
Pro Prospect
And1: 412

Post#230 » by antistrat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 am

heat4life wrote:There are going to be several games we lose because Lebron is no longer on the team to bail us out but I just don't believe Wade and Bosh are going to lay down and become ordinary at basketball.

You hit the nail on the head. People think Wade and Bosh forgot how to play basketball! Those guys were being great team players when LeBron was around, but staying in those roles isn't all they can do - that's just what they were asked to do. They can do more - they've done it before, they can do it again. And especially now with a chip on their shoulder. I can't believe this has to be explained to people.
HIF
RealGM

Post#231 » by HIF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:17 am

antistrat wrote:
heat4life wrote:There are going to be several games we lose because Lebron is no longer on the team to bail us out but I just don't believe Wade and Bosh are going to lay down and become ordinary at basketball.

You hit the nail on the head. People think Wade and Bosh forgot how to play basketball! Those guys were being great team players when LeBron was around, but staying in those roles isn't all they can do - that's just what they were asked to do. They can do more - they've done it before, they can do it again. And especially now with a chip on their shoulder. I can't believe this has to be explained to people.

Why are you here after what you posted on the Cavs board?

antistrat
Pro Prospect

Post#232 » by antistrat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:29 am

HIF wrote:
antistrat wrote:

To talk about the Heat. I'm still interested in them. Wade is still a favorite player of mine just like he was before. I have a lot riding on Wade and Spo having a big year, so I'll be following the Heat closely.
HIF
RealGM

Post#233 » by HIF » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:31 am

antistrat wrote:
HIF wrote:
antistrat wrote:

To talk about the Heat. I'm still interested in them. Wade is still a favorite player of mine just like he was before. I have a lot riding on Wade and Spo having a big year, so I'll be following the Heat closely.

So why **** on the heat fans on the cavs board.

I really don't want your type fouling up our board.

PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,148

Post#234 » by PaulieWal » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 am

HIF wrote:
antistrat wrote:
HIF wrote:

Tell 'em, HIF. This guy goes on the Cavs board , **** on the Heat fanbase and then comes here because he is a "fan of Wade and Spo" :nonono:. Who does he think he's kidding?
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
antistrat
Pro Prospect

Post#235 » by antistrat » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 am

HIF wrote:
antistrat wrote:
HIF wrote:

That was a mistake. I shouldn't have done that, and I apologize. I usually display more class and tact than I did that first day.

But I'm just here to root for the Heat, man. That's all.
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#236 » by dancing2thabeet » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:53 am

If you were a true Heat fan, you would know that we have enough people sh*tting on us as it is, we don't need you too. Be gone. Seriously. F*ck off and never return.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
DeeDub
Pro Prospect
And1: 266

Post#237 » by DeeDub » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:48 pm

thinktellectual wrote:
DeeDub wrote:Effort and execution. That's where the improvement can come from. The team was tired after 3 straight title runs and the effort and execuition on D was down last year. It was the same personnel as 2012-13, but we went from allowing .440 FG% (tied for 5th) to allowing .457 (16th) last year.

That's such a load of crap.

1. By "effort and execution" you mean the headless chicken D they played the first 3 years ?
The style that left the players with almost no legs for the playoffs (especially Lebron) ?
The style that killed Battier ?

That style of D is idiotic.
It cost the Heat the 2011 title, it killed Wade's knees and it ran Lebron into the ground almost every year.

2. So they were tired after 3 straight title runs, but they'll be just fine after 4 straight title runs ?
Because most of the team will be the same (minus Lebron, plus McBob & Deng).

I mean the defense that went to 4 straight finals and won two titles. The one in which the players' legs were not only OK for the playoffs it led them to a 14-2 record in playoff series. And pretty much the same basic defense th Pat Riley used with considerable success for his pretty successful career.

Much of the team is the same, but with several notable differences. No 39 yr old Ray Allen. No 35 yr old Shane Battier. No 34 yr old Rashard Lewis. No 33 yr old James Jones. But add 23 yr old Shabazz Napier, 26 yr old Bob and 29 yr old Luol Deng. The team has gotten considerably younger.
thinktellectual
Rookie

Post#238 » by thinktellectual » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:38 pm

heat4life wrote:
thinktellectual wrote:
heat4life wrote:

You are reaching. I don't know where you get that I think health is binary. Players play hurt in the NBA. "Healthy" is a relative term in sports. I am basing my prediction on what I have seen from Wade (healthy or unhealthy) over the last couple of seasons. You don't agree Wade can increase his points-per-game by a mere 3pts, fine. If you think Wade lost some weapons from his arsenal, great but keep in mind that same Wade averaged 19ppg last season shooting 54% without getting the ball as much as Lebron. I think he can manage to hit a basket and ft more with those added opportunities.

It feels like you signed up to the "Lebron was everything" to this Heat team. I don't. There are going to be several games we lose because Lebron is no longer on the team to bail us out but I just don't believe Wade and Bosh are going to lay down and become ordinary at basketball. Maybe he won't split a double team again but as long as his game matures to his physical abilities, I take my chances with Wade.

Wade was a beast till 2011.
Unfortunately, his health went to **** in recent years, and this was partially hidden by the fact that Lebron was on the team and commanding most of the opposing team's attention. This allowed Wade to pick his spots. There will be no such luxury this season.

Let me make this clear: Wade was my favourite player since 2004 (Lebron was my 2nd fav), I consider him better than Kobe (peak wise) and the closest ANYONE came to MJ (Kobe included).

But I can't lie to myself or others. I've seen this happen to too many players: when serious injuries hit, especially after a certain age, the decline is fast and irreversible. Penny, McGrady, Webber, Brand and many others.

I think Wade and Spoelstra will both be exposed this season.
Wade's issues will be further aggravated by the fact that he didn't develop a 3p shot (is he the only starting 2 without a decent 3p shot ?).

This is why I think he can either score 15-16 ppg efficiently or 20+ but far less efficiently than we've become accustomed from him. I am talking about 15 ppg on 50% or 22 ppg on 44%.

As for FTs, he's not getting any anymore. Because 1) everybody in the league knows he's trying to get them and most learned to stay down 2) he lost part of his athleticism, so he's easier to defend without fouling 3) the past years the Heat haven't even been getting obvious calls, and I think Wade's incessant complaining to the refs over the years must have rubbed them the wrong way.

I wish I'm wrong, but I doubt I am.
Roger Mexico
Banned User
And1: 150

Post#239 » by Roger Mexico » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:22 am

HIF wrote:
antistrat wrote:
HIF wrote:

OMG, some douchebag named HIF doesn't want you on the Heat board! HIF, no matter your age, you are an idiot. To all the real Heat fans and not just Wade fanboys such as HIF, good luck this year. The Heat have bounced back from a huge blow with James leaving. But the team is still very good with Wade and Bosh leading the charge. Go Heat.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#240 » by Wolfy1983 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:38 am

The best Christmas present I could have now is that bastard getting fired. Now Napier is in the dog house. Da **** is wrong with this coach?
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda

Return to Miami Heat