ImageImageImage

James Ennis

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

number1joker
Banned User
And1: 218

Re: James Ennis 2014-2015 Rookie of the Year 

Post#21 » by number1joker » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:43 am

knowing spo he probably wont even play him
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,337

Post#22 » by Heat3 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:54 am

What good fortune, maybe we can trade him for kevin love?
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#23 » by HIF » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:29 am

It's always funny to see how much hype "potential" gets on all basketball forums.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,441

Post#24 » by MartyConlonJr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:04 am

contract wrote:
yungsin1 wrote:There’s a new James in town. I've been following him since we drafted him last year. He has done very well in the Australian league capturing the MVP and Title. Played even better in the D-league showing people was wasn't just someone who could attack the rim but can also shoot. I think he's coming into the right situation and will give Miami the youth and athleticism it needs. With that being said he's my pick for the rookie of the year.

If Ennis plays enough to win rookie of the year, that means that something very bad happened to one or more of our veterans (Wade/Deng/Bosh), so lets hope he doesn't win it.

While I do not share the optimism that Ennis could even come close to winning ROY, if he does, I would take that outcome. To win ROY in this years draft class, I think you are a clear cut starting calibre player, and based on Jabari and Exum getting probably 30+ mins a night and all the shots they want, Wiggins almost certainly having run of the town if in Minny as well as may others, I think to win you are probably at a level where you would be expected to be an All-Star in year two.

I'd take that outcome even if it meant that someone like Deng (Ennis likely getting minutes there) didn't come up to scratch, seeing as Ennis is a minimum salary player in year 3 (the 2016 FA pool). That would be a god send.

That being said, there is no reason that IF Ennis was good in year 1, that Wade, Deng and Ennis coudn't average 32 mins a game each, plenty of time to make that type of impact.

My optimism is that I'll be happy if Ennis becomes a rotation player in year 1.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#25 » by mopper8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm

I'd be pretty pleased if Ennis earns a spot in the rotation, playing 15-20 mpg, plays good D, rebounds, hits a 3 or two every game, and makes some plays in transition.

Something like 6ppg, 3rpg in 18pmg would be just fine with me.

Now, if it turns out he's good enough at getting himself open off the ball to warrant more shots (and more minutes) and scores more, that'd be fantastic. Otherwise, I'm not hoping for too much until he tightens up that handle.
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#26 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:16 pm

mopper8 wrote:I'd be pretty pleased if Ennis earns a spot in the rotation, playing 15-20 mpg, plays good D, rebounds, hits a 3 or two every game, and makes some plays in transition.

Now, if it turns out he's good enough at getting himself open off the ball to warrant more shots (and more minutes) and scores more, that'd be fantastic. Otherwise, I'm not hoping for too much until he tightens up that handle.

Even if he had better handles, people underestimate how much different the Summer League is from actual NBA basketball.

#HeatLifer
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#27 » by cyclix » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
mopper8 wrote:I'd be pretty pleased if Ennis earns a spot in the rotation, playing 15-20 mpg, plays good D, rebounds, hits a 3 or two every game, and makes some plays in transition.

Even if he had better handles, people underestimate how much different the Summer League is from actual NBA basketball.

Better handles will open his game up more. You need to know how to create your own shot consistently in this league and good/decent handles aid to that very well. My expectations for Ennis is actually no more than a James Posey type of player, but he is athletic so I think he can be a little more impactful.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#28 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm

cyclix wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

Better handles will open his game up more. You need to know how to create your own shot consistently in this league and good/decent handles aid to that very well. My expectations for Ennis is actually no more than a James Posey type of player, but he is athletic so I think he can be a little more impactful.

Your post had little to nothing to do with what I said. I simply pointed out that good handles or not, being a Summer League standout means exactly s***. I don't expect him to be anything unless I've seen his performances in the NBA. The quality of team basketball, the level of talent and the goals for the players in the Summer League lead to different and worse basketball being played.

#HeatLifer
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by cyclix » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:56 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
cyclix wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

Your post had little to nothing to do with what I said. I simply pointed out that good handles or not, being a Summer League standout means exactly s***. I don't expect him to be anything unless I've seen his performances in the NBA. The quality of team basketball, the level of talent and the goals for the players in the Summer League lead to different and worse basketball being played.

Majority here knows and understands that. You just stated the obvious. I don't have any higher expectations for Ennis than you do, but just pointing out how his impact will be limited because of lack of good handle. His skills wouldn't translate as well as his summer league numbers would lead one to believe.
DWadeno3
RealGM

Post#30 » by DWadeno3 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:34 pm

cyclix wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:
cyclix wrote:Better handles will open his game up more. You need to know how to create your own shot consistently in this league and good/decent handles aid to that very well. My expectations for Ennis is actually no more than a James Posey type of player, but he is athletic so I think he can be a little more impactful.

Majority here knows and understands that. You just stated the obvious. I don't have any higher expectations for Ennis than you do, but just pointing out how his impact will be limited because of lack of good handle. His skills wouldn't translate as well as his summer league numbers would lead one to believe.

Apparently the majority doesn't, including you because in this thread you're discussing him being an impact player right out of the gate with a 15.2 PER while scoring 12 a night. Your prediction confirms my point that most don't understand how hard it is to be a productive two way player a la James Posey.
Guys like Josh Selby, Nolan Smith and Wes Johnson once killed it in the Summer League and look at them now. Our very own Terrel Harris was once labeled to be somebody based on Summer League play and he's nowhere to be found.

#HeatLifer
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by cyclix » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:31 am

DWadeno3 wrote:
cyclix wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

Apparently the majority doesn't, including you because in this thread you're discussing him being an impact player right out of the gate with a 15.2 PER while scoring 12 a night. Your prediction confirms my point that most don't understand how hard it is to be a productive two way player a la James Posey.
Guys like Josh Selby, Nolan Smith and Wes Johnson once killed it in the Summer League and look at them now. Our very own Terrel Harris was once labeled to be somebody based on Summer League play and he's nowhere to be found.

Evaluating talent off summer league play is a crapshoot in general. As mentioned, no one expects Ennis to be more than a glorified role player... and thats at peak value, but to absolutely dismiss the the possibly of being a positive contribution to the team is asinine. I tend to evaluate players more of skillset than statistical contribution, and I think Ennis has the skillset to be a James Posey type of player. He's very athletic, and has a reliable 3-PT shot. He can be our next 3 and D guy. I don't think it's farfetched to say. At the very least, I think his shooting and athleticism can very well translate, but at the same time, I don't think he has the skillset to be a star or franchise type of player.
EricYellowSnow
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#32 » by EricYellowSnow » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

It'll be a longshot, there are a ton of rookies that will probably get good playing time. My vote goes to Nerlens Noel for ROY
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#33 » by Zasterror » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 pm

He needs to improve his ballhandling. He would be a more athletic version of James Jones but if he doesn't improve in that area he will be relegated into....James Jones.
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by cyclix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Zasterror wrote:He needs to improve his ballhandling. He would be a more athletic version of James Jones but if he doesn't improve in that area he will be relegated into....James Jones.

I think he has a higher defensive potential than James Jones due to his athleticism.
Wolfy1983
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#35 » by Wolfy1983 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:33 pm

I'm really excited to see this kid play. If he makes the 1st all-rookie team, that would be fantastic.
Sig By: MettaWorldPanda
Bourne85
General Manager
And1: 9,098

Post#36 » by Bourne85 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 pm

SMH.
Heffernan
Freshman
And1: 269

James Ennis? 

Post#37 » by Heffernan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am

MERGED TOPIC
--heat4life

Who is this guy? I remember hearing about Riley looking at him during the Finals, and thought: Why? Now it looks like the Heat are kinda banking on this guy who was a very late pick. Some reports say he may even be the next star of the team: http://fansided.com/2014/07/29/miami-heat-james-ennis-next-superstar/. How do you guys think this will play out?
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: James Ennis? 

Post#38 » by HIF » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:50 am

Why not google him? Or god forbid, read through the other threads on this forum.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
MuggsyBogues
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#39 » by MuggsyBogues » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:32 am

Heffernan wrote:Who is this guy? I remember hearing about Riley looking at him during the Finals, and thought: Why? Now it looks like the Heat are kinda banking on this guy who was a very late pick. Some reports say he may even be the next star of the team: http://fansided.com/2014/07/29/miami-heat-james-ennis-next-superstar/. How do you guys think this will play out?

They gave him a minimum contract that's only 200k guaranteed. They might like him as a cheap prospect, but that's like saying that the Spurs are banking on Bryce Cotton.
contract
RealGM
And1: 20,991

Post#40 » by contract » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Heffernan wrote:Who is this guy? I remember hearing about Riley looking at him during the Finals, and thought: Why? Now it looks like the Heat are kinda banking on this guy who was a very late pick. Some reports say he may even be the next star of the team: http://fansided.com/2014/07/29/miami-heat-james-ennis-next-superstar/. How do you guys think this will play out?

At this point the Heat is only banking on him making the team and hopefully contributing off the bench. Unless there's an injury ahead of him (Granger?) Ennis is likely no better than our 9th or 10th man this season.
:meditate: Team Small Ball :meditate:

Return to Miami Heat