ImageImageImage

Heat To Sign Hassan Whiteside. Wow. + Some crazy stats

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

King_Supreme
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Re: Heat To Sign Hassan Whiteside. Wow. + Some crazy stats 

Post#1321 » by King_Supreme » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:05 pm

IggieCC wrote:A prime healthy Andrew Bynum sounds like a unicorn lol

Prime AB, though very short-lived, was a great big. He had very nice soft touch around the basket plus decent jumpers and FTs.

I got laughed at for comparing Whiteside to prime AB when Whiteside just started getting mins with us. He's come a long way!

Prime Bynum gave you 15/10 on great efficiency while playing solid D.
If Whiteside is that I take it, considering there are no 2-way 20/10 centers, and the best center(Marc Gasol) doesn't even give you 20/10. Not too mention, the center position is quietly becoming good again(Drummond; Val, Goebert, Vucci Mane, Embid), so it's going to be hard for Whiteside to be a 20/10 guy on good effiency unless he becomes highly skilled(which he isn't, Hassan has decent moves, but his offense could us some work).
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#1322 » by IggieCC » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:28 pm

King_Supreme wrote:
IggieCC wrote:A prime healthy Andrew Bynum sounds like a unicorn lol

Prime AB, though very short-lived, was a great big. He had very nice soft touch around the basket plus decent jumpers and FTs.

I got laughed at for comparing Whiteside to prime AB when Whiteside just started getting mins with us. He's come a long way!

Prime Bynum gave you 15/10 on great efficiency while playing solid D.
If Whiteside is that I take it, considering there are no 2-way 20/10 centers, and the best center(Marc Gasol) doesn't even give you 20/10. Not too mention, the center position is quietly becoming good again(Drummond; Val, Goebert, Vucci Mane, Embid), so it's going to be hard for Whiteside to be a 20/10 guy on good effiency unless he becomes highly skilled(which he isn't, Hassan has decent moves, but his offense could us some work).

Yes. I just want Hassan to stay healthy and keep working on little things for the most part.

I try to keep my expectations for Hassan to become next Hakeem to minimum. Improve his BBIQ this off-season???
I expect his improvements to be rather gradual (hopefully steady with good work ethic) it's not like he started playing basketball last year.

Whiteside already has higher PER than LeBron! it's ridiculous. It doesn't mean he's a better player than LeBron, but we should just take it easy and appreciate him for who he is already.
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1323 » by KingDavid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:07 pm

His ceiling is not some scrub named Bynum who only got 15/8 (not 10) and was noticed because he was a tall loaf on a then-great, moderately paced Lakers team. I wish Hassan had four years experience coupled with daily access to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar like Bynum did to polish his overall game. Hassan probably won't average 15 points on this slow (29th in pace), high-iso team with potentially four other high-usage players who would shoot before he does (Bosh, Wade, Dragic, and Deng) but he already averages more than 8rpg (It's 10 right now but that average is messed up because he didn't start until January). I say he grabs 12-14 rebs and +2 blocks per game (he's at 2.6 bpg right now). To compare him to Bynum is to miss what Hassan is as a basketball player. Andrew was alright defensively on that title team because he was a big body with great length. He also was the 3rd highest scorer and 3rd highest usage percentage on the Lakers. Hassan, for his experience in the NBA, is a great defensive player who has elite timing and instincts (he keeps most blocks inbounds, rebounds on an elite level and turns them into extra possessions), who just so happens to also be tall as hell with an enormous wingspan and very athletic. He gets most of his offense on putbacks. Until the last couple of games, we never ran plays for him like they were ran for Bynum.

I'll say it again; even though it's a rather misled comparison because they're two different types of players, Bynum prime is Hassan's floor, not his ceiling.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Post#1324 » by cyclix » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Bynum himself never reached his full potential because he never really yearned to be great. He just played for the next paycheck. I don't think Whiteside will develop the same mentality.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#1325 » by QUIZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:51 pm

KingDavid wrote:His ceiling is not some scrub named Bynum who only got 15/8 (not 10) and was noticed because he was a tall loaf on a then-great, moderately paced Lakers team. I wish Hassan had four years experience coupled with daily access to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar like Bynum did to polish his overall game. Hassan probably won't average 15 points on this slow (29th in pace), high-iso team with potentially four other high-usage players who would shoot before he does (Bosh, Wade, Dragic, and Deng) but he already averages more than 8rpg (It's 10 right now but that average is messed up because he didn't start until January). I say he grabs 12-14 rebs and +2 blocks per game (he's at 2.6 bpg right now). To compare him to Bynum is to miss what Hassan is as a basketball player. Andrew was alright defensively on that title team because he was a big body with great length. He also was the 3rd highest scorer and 3rd highest usage percentage on the Lakers. Hassan, for his experience in the NBA, is a great defensive player who has elite timing and instincts (he keeps most blocks inbounds, rebounds on an elite level and turns them into extra possessions), who just so happens to also be tall as hell with an enormous wingspan and very athletic. He gets most of his offense on putbacks. Until the last couple of games, we never ran plays for him like they were ran for Bynum.

I'll say it again; even though it's a rather misled comparison because they're two different types of players, Bynum prime is Hassan's floor, not his ceiling.

Tell em!
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,445

Post#1326 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 am

I can hardly even remember what a healthy Andrew Bynum was, but I agree that IIRC he didn't have Hassan's defensive impact.
He also was a Turd. And always Injured.

Hassan can become better, but it will never happen unless Spo really incorporate him into the offense. He's shown the potential to be a third option and deserve to get more touches and plays calls for him.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#1327 » by UD4MVP » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:49 am

Hassan has shown an impressive ability to score on the block and also score in the Tyson Chandler type role off alleys and putbacks..Very excited to see how he progresses next year. This team needs to be at a faster pace and get better shooters, it'd be interesting to see how he will fit in if we can fix our pace and shooting issues.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#1328 » by RJM » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:27 pm

A part of me actually doesn't want him to win Most Improved Player, because it gives his agent more leverage next summer when the two sides meet for contract negotiations. I want Miami to have as much talent and as much salary room as possible in 2016.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1329 » by QUIZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:32 pm

RJM wrote:A part of me actually doesn't want him to win Most Improved Player, because it gives his agent more leverage next summer when the two sides meet for contract negotiations. I want Miami to have as much talent and as much salary room as possible in 2016.

Come on don't say that. I love the Heat and I love Hassan I want them to work out a deal that benefits both of them. I want Hassan to have as much success as possible he deserves it.

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1330 » by HIF » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:43 pm

RJM wrote:A part of me actually doesn't want him to win Most Improved Player, because it gives his agent more leverage next summer when the two sides meet for contract negotiations. I want Miami to have as much talent and as much salary room as possible in 2016.

Also he'll be even hungrier next year.

Don't forget how he brings up ALL the sleights.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#1331 » by cyclix » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:54 pm

qjz123 wrote:

Come on don't say that. I love the Heat and I love Hassan I want them to work out a deal that benefits both of them. I want Hassan to have as much success as possible he deserves it.

That is obviously Eric Spoelstra. No wonder why he's always reluctant to play Whiteside.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1332 » by QUIZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:59 pm

cyclix wrote:
qjz123 wrote:

That is obviously Eric Spoelstra. No wonder why he's always reluctant to play Whiteside.

:o

QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1333 » by QUIZ » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:20 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/youngwhiteside/status/588381806115848192[/tweet]

Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#1334 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:22 pm

Im calling it right now Next year either Hassan or Anthony Davis will win Defensive player of the year. He had 123 blocks in 48 games. 123 blocks puts him in the top 15 in the NBA right now. Imagine a whole season.
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Post#1335 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:32 pm

Cmon_Son-_- wrote:Im calling it right now Next year either Hassan or Anthony Davis will win Defensive player of the year. He had 123 blocks in 48 games. 123 blocks puts him in the top 15 in the NBA right now. Imagine a whole season.

If Hassan had played an entire season this year with 30 minutes a game, then I'd say he'd be the DPOY based on his and other's production this year. He's about as solid a man to man defender down low as you could ask for.
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#1336 » by dancing2thabeet » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:08 pm

Cmon_Son-_- wrote:Im calling it right now Next year either Hassan or Anthony Davis will win Defensive player of the year. He had 123 blocks in 48 games. 123 blocks puts him in the top 15 in the NBA right now. Imagine a whole season.

Afaik he is also second in BPG with 2.6, right behind Davis with 2.9
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#1337 » by cyclix » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:11 pm

One thing people forget is that he was playing with a hand laceration and ankle injuries almost throughout the season when he was putting up these numbers. He was pretty much playing injured. Imagine when he actually gets fully healthy for next season.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1338 » by HIF » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:07 am

cyclix wrote:One thing people forget is that he was playing with a hand laceration and ankle injuries almost throughout the season when he was putting up these numbers. He was pretty much playing injured. Imagine when he actually gets fully healthy for next season.

No-one has forgotten that. Whiteside makes sure we don't forget it.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#1339 » by UD4MVP » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:46 am

Hassan should aim to lead the league in rebounds and blocks per game. He's fully capable of that. Oh and he would've been 2nd in FG percentage too I think, so not a stretch for that either.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#1340 » by 3ballbomber » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 am

I'd like to see what Hassan can do for an entire NBA season when the season truly matters. I'd like to see wether he can sustain this level of play. Love this kid & no disrespect but I'm not yet fully convinced.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor

Return to Miami Heat