ImageImageImage

What's the plan for the future? 2016-2017 additions?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Re: What's the plan for the future? 2016-2017 additions? 

Post#101 » by DayofMourning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Random shot in the dark-Raptors have a 4.6 TPE. Does it make any sense for either team to do a TPE for McBob trade?
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#102 » by DefenseWins » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:55 pm

this team ain't trading McBob

Maybe if he sucks next year so they can get cap space but unless we getting a waaaayyy better front court player who will stay and is not a rental, he ain't going no where
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by DayofMourning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:03 pm

I get the feeling that he is our Joel Anthony now, performance wise and contract wise. He will have his good games, but won't deliver consistent performances to warrant keeping him at his contract. That 6.? million he'll be earning in 2016 bothers me.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#104 » by DefenseWins » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:08 pm

DayofMourning wrote:I get the feeling that he is our Joel Anthony now, performance wise and contract wise. He will have his good games, but won't deliver consistent performances to warrant keeping him at his contract. That 6.? million he'll be earning in 2016 bothers me.

Miller is making 6mil off of us right now

And he was worse

Man I feel like I'm watching a different game from some of you all. Again this is his average lmao, people had high expectations for basically a bench player, who is a better play maker than our PGs.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by DayofMourning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:16 pm

DefenseWins wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:I get the feeling that he is our Joel Anthony now, performance wise and contract wise. He will have his good games, but won't deliver consistent performances to warrant keeping him at his contract. That 6.? million he'll be earning in 2016 bothers me.

And he was worse

Man I feel like I'm watching a different game from some of you all. Again this is his average lmao, people had high expectations for basically a bench player, who is a better play maker than our PGs.

I'm not sure how you're responding to my post. This thread is dedicated to how do we improve the team in preparation for the 2016 offseason. His contract could be a thorn in our side at that time. He isn't going to win games for us, and we look to be a middle of the pack team with or without him. He was brought in for a Lebron team, not this one. I'd rather have his cap hit available for someone who can really improve this team. I'm looking ahead as the title of this thread suggests.
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#106 » by Flash4thewin » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:26 pm

I love Wade but did he really take a paycut or just get paid market value this offseason?
JLop
Analyst
And1: 7,833

Post#107 » by JLop » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:04 pm

This is a different approach. At the end, it may be a terrible idea, so please, try to put yourself in my shoes and don't be so hard on me. Before you criticize let's find a way to make it work. Here we go. The Miami heat could make a trade with Boston for Rajon Rondo. We will have to give up some assets like Luol Deng and Josh McRoberts, and even some future draft picks (I leave it to you guys). The next step is to get rid of any contract that pays more than the minimum salary (with the exception of Udonis Haslem). Once it is done, for the upcoming season, we should convince Rajon Rondo and Marc Gasol to sign a multi-year contract with a base salary of $18 million each on their first year. So maybe Rondo and Gasol would take lower starting salaries and arrange to be on par (or close enough) with Bosh over the long run. The numbers for 2015-16 are now projected to be $66.5 million and $81.0 million, respectively. Knowing this, we already have Chris Bosh with $ 22,192,730; Rajon Rondo with $18,000,000; and Marc Gasol with $18,000,000 for a total of $58,192,730. Then Miami could use its remaining cap room to sign Dwyane. Now we need a big favor from Dwyane Wade: he has to use his player option and take a new contract for $15,000,000 (at least for a year). A key facet of bird rights: A team can go over the cap to re-sign players with the. If Dwyane Wade re-sign, Miami would retain his bird rights. Basically, this will allow us to go over the projected number of $66.5 million. Miami would then have to sign rookies and veterans willing to take minimum contracts to fill its roster (just for 2015-16). The Miami Heat will probably have to spend some extra cash (the taxes would be a concern). The good thing here is that it gets better for 2016-17. In a matter of one year, those contracts will become a bargain. And, there will be plenty of room to improve the roster and to sign a solid small forward.

Dwyane Wade ($15,000,000)
Marc Gasol ($18,000,000)
Rajon Rondo ($18,000,000)
Chris Bosh ($22,192,730)
James Ennis ($845,059)
Udonis Haslem ($2,854,940)
Shabazz Napier ($1,294,440)
Shawne Williams ($1,356,146)
Justin Hamilton ($1,147,276)
Hassan Whiteside ($981,348)
Andre Dawkins ($1,045,059)
A good veteran ($1,356,146)
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#108 » by Maroko » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Shewasfly wrote:
Maroko wrote:
Shewasfly wrote:One thing I thought about in the midst of all this tanking talk, wouldn't this make free agency in 2016 a harder sell for super stars? Wade will be 35 and Bosh just isn't very good. So unless these picks become the second coming of Wade wouldn't it be better to get developed talent that a super star could just jump into and be favorites for a contender? Thats a better sell to a super star in my opinion.

Or you can see it as a perfect selling : i mean we didnt trade Wade and we keep paying a lot of money.
It's easy to explain to Super stars, well we prefered tanking because we wanted to draft a high pick in order to develop one season before you arrive and we have the flexibility to add one more competitive player.

So instead of being kicked 2 consecutive seasons in the 1st round and we couldnt add a one more competitive player to play along then it was our strategy and now we are in a position to sign you, keeping Bosh, playing Wade as the 6th man and you my superstar, a top rookie and a competitive player --> Awfull strategy right Super Star ?

The top rookie would still be unproven. Do you think just because Wiggins is in Minnesota there is a glut of people rushing to play with him? No. In fact teams with championship aspirations trade those players away, which is what Cleveland did.

Thats why I said unless that rookie became the next Wade then why would a super star go there instead of an already competitive team that just needs that one final piece? I don't think many superstars believe a rookie or 2nd year player is going to make or break a championship team.

I never said Super Stars will come for that Top rookie, but did you forget Wade, Bosh and Pat Riley ?
I said it's better to have a top rookie who will fill a hole then you can add another competitive player (remember that top rookie filling that hole for cheap) + a super star

There is no better situation for us

And that top rookie will have already one season in his legs
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#109 » by gom » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:45 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
DefenseWins wrote:

And he was worse

I'm not sure how you're responding to my post. This thread is dedicated to how do we improve the team in preparation for the 2016 offseason. His contract could be a thorn in our side at that time. He isn't going to win games for us, and we look to be a middle of the pack team with or without him. He was brought in for a Lebron team, not this one. I'd rather have his cap hit available for someone who can really improve this team. I'm looking ahead as the title of this thread suggests.

His contract when the salary cap is $90M will look ingenious. Bosh's too for that matter.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
UD4MVP
Veteran
And1: 3,091

Post#110 » by UD4MVP » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:38 pm

I'm a little lazy to read the entire thread, but I don't think we'll strike big in free agency in the next 2 years in terms of elite caliber players. If we want to be really good in the next few years Shabazz has to turn out to be a very good starting pg, we need better wade insurance at the backup 2 spot (Tim Hardaway Jr, Gerald Green, Dion?), developed and consistent Ennis, and of course a legit rim protector who cleans the glass. If our player development program turns some of our projects into studs, then maybe we can attract a big name.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by DayofMourning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:39 pm

gom wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
DefenseWins wrote:

And he was worse

His contract when the salary cap is $90M will look ingenious. Bosh's too for that matter.

That's true too. I never remember to compensate for the projected salary cap increase. If it meets expectations, then we should be fine.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#112 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:30 pm

What I would like our team to become: Projected cap $85,000,000

Key Additions (per36)-
Timofey Mozgov - 13.6ppg, 10.5rpg

Timofey Mozgov is a very under rated center, puts up good numbers and is good defensively. He gives Miami the size they've been lacking for a very long time and allows Bosh to slide back to his natural power forward position.

Mike Conley - 19ppg, 7apg

He's a very good point guard, can facilitate and score, he is one of the best defenders at the point guard position, controls the tempo of the game, and spreads the floor as a career 38% 3 point shooter which is what you want next to Wade. He's not a superstar but he's an all star caliber point guard which seems to be the type that is on championship winning teams.

Ian Mahinimi - 9.5 ppg, 11.6 rpg
Is a very good backup center, if Mozgov got into foul trouble you want a decent center to be able to come on the floor and not drop the production. He would very easily be a good center to have playing 25+ minutes a game for your team, but as a backup is even better.

Ryan Anderson - 19ppg, 7rpg

Not alot of talent at the small forward position in this free agency period, but Ryan Anderson is able to play small forward, he has done so in his career, he's a very good rebounder and floor spacer which allows Wade again to play his natural game.

Miami Heat Rotation -
C - Timofey Mozgov / Ian Mahinimi
PF - Chris Bosh / Josh McRoberts
SF - Ryan Anderson / James Ennis
SG - Dwyane Wade / OJ Mayo
PG - Mike Conley / Shabazz Napier

This team becomes a championship contender with a balanced even lineup, it has star power and championship role players, the addition of Mike Conley would be absolutely huge for this team, as the team would have its first elite facilitator in a long time, and it's quite a realistic team. You can't always swing for the fences, the contracts are about what these players would get paid. You might look at Mozgov's contract and say that's high, but centers of his caliber go for that amount (i/e Splitter)

Chris Bosh $23,741,060
Mike Conley $15,000,000
Dwyane Wade $12,000,000
Timofey Mozgov $10,000,000
Ryan Anderson $9,000,000
Josh McRoberts $5,782,450
Ian Mahinimi $4,000,000
OJ Mayo $3,000,000
Shabazz Napier $1,350,120
James Ennis $980,431

Total Salary before adding minimum contracts = 84,854,061
gom

Post#113 » by gom » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:33 pm

Have you accounted for the increase in salaries that are inevitable with a higher salary cap? Do you really think a 3rd year NBA player like Napier or Ennis will be happy with such a low salary?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,445

Post#114 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Ryan Anderson never played a minute at SF and never will. He's a pure PF. Also don't see Mike Conley leaving Memphis for Miami. Not much of a plan IMO.

Edit - Timofey Mozgov will be 30 YO. We could probably get him, not that excited about that.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by DayofMourning » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Pure_Basketball wrote:
Spoiler:
What I would like our team to become: Projected cap $85,000,000

Key Additions (per36)-Timofey Mozgov - 13.6ppg, 10.5rpg

Timofey Mozgov is a very under rated center, puts up good numbers and is good defensively. He gives Miami the size they've been lacking for a very long time and allows Bosh to slide back to his natural power forward position.

Mike Conley - 19ppg, 7apg

He's a very good point guard, can facilitate and score, he is one of the best defenders at the point guard position, controls the tempo of the game, and spreads the floor as a career 38% 3 point shooter which is what you want next to Wade. He's not a superstar but he's an all star caliber point guard which seems to be the type that is on championship winning teams.

Ian Mahinimi - 9.5 ppg, 11.6 rpg
Is a very good backup center, if Mozgov got into foul trouble you want a decent center to be able to come on the floor and not drop the production. He would very easily be a good center to have playing 25+ minutes a game for your team, but as a backup is even better.

Ryan Anderson - 19ppg, 7rpg

Not alot of talent at the small forward position in this free agency period, but Ryan Anderson is able to play small forward, he has done so in his career, he's a very good rebounder and floor spacer which allows Wade again to play his natural game.

Miami Heat Rotation -
C - Timofey Mozgov / Ian Mahinimi
PF - Chris Bosh / Josh McRoberts
SF - Ryan Anderson / James Ennis
SG - Dwyane Wade / OJ Mayo
PG - Mike Conley / Shabazz Napier

This team becomes a championship contender with a balanced even lineup, it has star power and championship role players, the addition of Mike Conley would be absolutely huge for this team, as the team would have its first elite facilitator in a long time, and it's quite a realistic team. You can't always swing for the fences, the contracts are about what these players would get paid. You might look at Mozgov's contract and say that's high, but centers of his caliber go for that amount (i/e Splitter)

Chris Bosh $23,741,060
Mike Conley $15,000,000
Dwyane Wade $12,000,000
Timofey Mozgov $10,000,000
Ryan Anderson $9,000,000
Josh McRoberts $5,782,450
Ian Mahinimi $4,000,000
OJ Mayo $3,000,000
Shabazz Napier $1,350,120
James Ennis $980,431

Total Salary before adding minimum contracts = 84,854,061

Good effort putting a solid team together. Any draft pick considerations?
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach

Post#116 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:56 pm

gom wrote:Have you accounted for the increase in salaries that are inevitable with a higher salary cap? Do you really think a 3rd year NBA player like Napier or Ennis will be happy with such a low salary?

Yes I have, I don't believe under the current salary cap system that Conley is a 15mil a year player, but once the cap goes up than yes. Napier and Ennis have no choice, they're still on their rookie contracts so that's what they'll make no matter what.
gom

Post#117 » by gom » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Pure_Basketball wrote:
gom wrote:Have you accounted for the increase in salaries that are inevitable with a higher salary cap? Do you really think a 3rd year NBA player like Napier or Ennis will be happy with such a low salary?

Yes I have, I don't believe under the current salary cap system that Conley is a 15mil a year player, but once the cap goes up than yes. Napier and Ennis have no choice, they're still on their rookie contracts so that's what they'll make no matter what.

I like your team, however I suspect that when the cap goes off we will see quite an escalation in salaries and an enormous wealth gap. First tier guys should hit $40M+. In this scenario, Bosh's salary is going to look great if he's still playing at a good level. I don't know how I'd evaluate Conley under those circumstances. He is a good starting PG with a lot of talent and a lot of teams will compete for him. On the other hand, PG is a position that is saturated and there will be plenty of talent in the 2015, 2016, 2017 drafts. Anyway, kudos for your work.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Ryan Anderson never played a minute at SF and never will. He's a pure PF. Also don't see Mike Conley leaving Memphis for Miami. Not much of a plan IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Ander ... ketball%29

Position Power forward / Small forward

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2261 ... n-and-more
New Orleans is even relying on Anderson to play some small forward because it does not have enough pieces across the board. Anderson seems alright with it, via John Reid of NOLA.com: “It’s something I’m pretty comfortable with. A lot of people are talking about that. But I’m not expecting to be the starting three-man for the Pelicans this year. But I think during certain times that lineup can work.”

The New Orleans Pelicans may move Ryan Anderson at some point this season, and the Los Angeles Clippers could use some additional help at the small forward spot since the NBA title is their ultimate goal.

Anyway there's not many other options at small forward, the only other one I'd consider is Nic Batum, but he's very over rated, can do a little bit of everything but not alot of anything.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach

Post#119 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:09 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:Ryan Anderson never played a minute at SF and never will. He's a pure PF. Also don't see Mike Conley leaving Memphis for Miami. Not much of a plan IMO.

Edit - Timofey Mozgov will be 30 YO. We could probably get him, not that excited about that.

I'm not sure what you expect, to get the best player in the free agency is not realistic, we'll have to add players that are above average-all star and get people who fit. Something in the mold of the Detroit Pistons of the 2000's. Timofey Mozgov is a good player, and if you want an elite center, you rarely get them through free agency and have to acquire really high draft picks. Or through trades buy low, for instance I think at the moment Enes Kanter is someone that we should be chasing, for now Utah don't seem really high on him, he plays average at best defense but has unlimited potential on offense and rebounding. If we had the pieces we should trade for him now and develop him into the elite talent that he can be.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach

Post#120 » by Pure_Basketball » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
Good effort putting a solid team together. Any draft pick considerations?

Nah the draft isn't my forte, I'm pretty good at building realistic teams with realistic expectations and have a lot of fun with that aspect, but don't live in America so don't watch enough college games/ hear enough about potential draft classes to assume what Miami would do with a draft pick, especially doesn't help that we don't have a pick coming this year unless we fail miserably.

gom wrote:
Pure_Basketball wrote:

I like your team, however I suspect that when the cap goes off we will see quite an escalation in salaries and an enormous wealth gap. First tier guys should hit $40M+. In this scenario, Bosh's salary is going to look great if he's still playing at a good level. I don't know how I'd evaluate Conley under those circumstances. He is a good starting PG with a lot of talent and a lot of teams will compete for him. On the other hand, PG is a position that is saturated and there will be plenty of talent in the 2015, 2016, 2017 drafts. Anyway, kudos for your work.

Yeah it's hard to judge at this point when you have no evidence to backup your (my claim) as the salary cap has never been that high. Conley could perhaps go for a higher contract then that, Miami would be able to go to atleast 18-20 if you take away Mayo and sign a min contract instead, or remove Ryan Anderson and go for more of a role player at the small forward position. Thanks mate, have fun creating the teams. So much will change between now and then anyway. Miami might sign guys from the next free agency instead.

Return to Miami Heat