ImageImageImage

Pat Riley: "I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016"

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,868

Pat Riley: "I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016" 

Post#1 » by Paz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 am

JLop wrote:Riley on Heat's struggles to make playoffs: 'Get real about it'

Miami Heat President Pat Riley, here at his postseason press conference in June, says the Heat are still a playoff team. (Mike Stocker, Sun Sentinel)

Riley said there were discussions about potential trades but the organization is planning on moving forward with the current roster. Norris Cole and Chris Andersen were among the names reportedly on the trading block.

"There's a lot of conversation but we're not active," Riley said. "I've not going to move chairs. I've been in the chair moving business before and that's all you do is move chairs around. I don't mean that in disrespect to the players. I don't like them to call them assets or chairs or whatever.

"If there is something that makes sense that we can do that can really help us, then we would consider it. But we're not about to give up assets that we don't have, that we need, to make a lateral move out of desperation, to take what I think is a playoff team to make the playoffs."

Full article:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-pat-riley-heat-playoffs-0123-20150122-story.html

Despite first-half frustrations, Pat Riley not looking to shake up Heat

Dwyane Wade and the Heat are 4-6 in their past 10 games and currently 7th in the Eastern Conference standings.

MIAMI -- Miami Heat president Pat Riley was on hand Thursday to help announce the new Hoophall Miami Invitational event that will be held at AmericanAirlines Arena to benefit the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and local charities.

Afterward, he spoke with the media to discuss the current state of the Heat, as well as their future.

Speaking frankly about several topics concerning the team, he pulled no punches, in typical Riley fashion.

"It's been very frustrating for everybody," he said of the Heat's season at the halfway mark. "It's been very frustrating that we haven't been able to overcome the adversities that we have faced -- and they are not excuses, they are adversities."

Though he's been disappointed by their performance as of late, he understands the big picture and is realistic about what they can accomplish this season.

"Adversity really sort of strengthens the fiber and the core of your team," he said. "We've had a lot of opportunities in 10 or 12 games to overcome adversity in more than two or three key situations, and we haven't been able to do that.

"We're in the fight. I think you have to recognize who you are and what your challenge is this year. We're in the fight -- but we're not in the fight like we were before for the top of the conference. We are in the fight with five or six other teams for probably the playoffs -- spots six, seven and eight -- so get real about it, don't feel sorry about it, and get after it."

Between injuries and changes in the rotation, Riley wants to see this team step up and play up to and beyond its capability regardless of the obstacles along the way.

"In the face of all the adversity that we've had, there have been times we have underachieved," he said. "So to me, that's a habit more than anything else that I think will strengthen (the team) as we continue to take these hits along the way. I do see a five-, six- or seven-game good run somewhere along the way that will get us back to where we're feeling good about ourselves."

As for looking elsewhere to help fortify the roster, he said the Heat were in plenty of discussions but not active on the trade market.

Though he's not interested in making moves for the sake of change, he's willing to listen to offers to help improve the team now.

"If there's something that makes sense that we can do that could really help us, then we would consider it," Riley said. "But we're not about to give up assets that we don't have -- and that we need -- to make a lateral move out of desperation and to take what I think is a playoff team to make the playoffs."

Looking ahead to the future and the team's much-discussed plans for the 2016 free agency market, Riley noted that changes to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement has made it more complicated to sign the kind of star players he was able to do in 2010.

"I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016," he said. "The rules have changed. For a player to turn down a five-year guaranteed deal at home with major max money, he must really have to hate where he's at or love where he's going. So it's not the same deal. It's going to be approached differently."

Riley didn't hesitate to confirm that although there is a plan in place, it could be all cast aside in order to get a difference-maker that could help shape the franchise and put them back in contention sooner rather then later.

"If it's the right guy and he's a star and he can complement what coach wants and what we have with Dwyane (Wade), Luol (Deng) and with Chris (Bosh) ... then we're ready to move."

Full article:
http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-heat-pat-riley-state-of-the-team-trade-market-012215
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,995

Re: Pat Riley: "I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016" 

Post#2 » by eddieheatfan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:49 am

Paz wrote:
JLop wrote:Riley on Heat's struggles to make playoffs: 'Get real about it'

Miami Heat President Pat Riley, here at his postseason press conference in June, says the Heat are still a playoff team. (Mike Stocker, Sun Sentinel)

Riley said there were discussions about potential trades but the organization is planning on moving forward with the current roster. Norris Cole and Chris Andersen were among the names reportedly on the trading block.

"There's a lot of conversation but we're not active," Riley said. "I've not going to move chairs. I've been in the chair moving business before and that's all you do is move chairs around. I don't mean that in disrespect to the players. I don't like them to call them assets or chairs or whatever.

"If there is something that makes sense that we can do that can really help us, then we would consider it. But we're not about to give up assets that we don't have, that we need, to make a lateral move out of desperation, to take what I think is a playoff team to make the playoffs."

Full article:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-pat-riley-heat-playoffs-0123-20150122-story.html

Despite first-half frustrations, Pat Riley not looking to shake up Heat

Dwyane Wade and the Heat are 4-6 in their past 10 games and currently 7th in the Eastern Conference standings.

MIAMI -- Miami Heat president Pat Riley was on hand Thursday to help announce the new Hoophall Miami Invitational event that will be held at AmericanAirlines Arena to benefit the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and local charities.

Afterward, he spoke with the media to discuss the current state of the Heat, as well as their future.

Speaking frankly about several topics concerning the team, he pulled no punches, in typical Riley fashion.

"It's been very frustrating for everybody," he said of the Heat's season at the halfway mark. "It's been very frustrating that we haven't been able to overcome the adversities that we have faced -- and they are not excuses, they are adversities."

Though he's been disappointed by their performance as of late, he understands the big picture and is realistic about what they can accomplish this season.

"Adversity really sort of strengthens the fiber and the core of your team," he said. "We've had a lot of opportunities in 10 or 12 games to overcome adversity in more than two or three key situations, and we haven't been able to do that.

"We're in the fight. I think you have to recognize who you are and what your challenge is this year. We're in the fight -- but we're not in the fight like we were before for the top of the conference. We are in the fight with five or six other teams for probably the playoffs -- spots six, seven and eight -- so get real about it, don't feel sorry about it, and get after it."

Between injuries and changes in the rotation, Riley wants to see this team step up and play up to and beyond its capability regardless of the obstacles along the way.

"In the face of all the adversity that we've had, there have been times we have underachieved," he said. "So to me, that's a habit more than anything else that I think will strengthen (the team) as we continue to take these hits along the way. I do see a five-, six- or seven-game good run somewhere along the way that will get us back to where we're feeling good about ourselves."

As for looking elsewhere to help fortify the roster, he said the Heat were in plenty of discussions but not active on the trade market.

Though he's not interested in making moves for the sake of change, he's willing to listen to offers to help improve the team now.

"If there's something that makes sense that we can do that could really help us, then we would consider it," Riley said. "But we're not about to give up assets that we don't have -- and that we need -- to make a lateral move out of desperation and to take what I think is a playoff team to make the playoffs."

Looking ahead to the future and the team's much-discussed plans for the 2016 free agency market, Riley noted that changes to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement has made it more complicated to sign the kind of star players he was able to do in 2010.

"I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016," he said. "The rules have changed. For a player to turn down a five-year guaranteed deal at home with major max money, he must really have to hate where he's at or love where he's going. So it's not the same deal. It's going to be approached differently."

Riley didn't hesitate to confirm that although there is a plan in place, it could be all cast aside in order to get a difference-maker that could help shape the franchise and put them back in contention sooner rather then later.

"If it's the right guy and he's a star and he can complement what coach wants and what we have with Dwyane (Wade), Luol (Deng) and with Chris (Bosh) ... then we're ready to move."

Full article:
http://www.foxsports.com/florida/story/miami-heat-pat-riley-state-of-the-team-trade-market-012215
meh in other words,the heat will continue to suck from here in to beyond?!
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,222

Re: Pat Riley: "I'm not so sure that what we did in 2010 is anywhere close to what we can do in 2016" 

Post#3 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:57 am

No, it just means don't expect a new big of the best possible free agents available. But do expect a great team/contender.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,222

Post#4 » by Heat3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:57 am

No, it just means don't expect a new big of the best possible free agents available. But do expect a great team/contender.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

Paz
Analyst

Post#5 » by Paz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:19 am

I just don't see any signings outside of Durant or CP3 making a huge difference (CP3 to a lesser extent).

I'm not interested in Howard. Horford will be expecting his first MAX payday. Durant won't come down here IMO. CP3 is probably a realistic option but he's going to want max money and that would still leave us with a hole at SG/SF.

I don't see what the big deal is about this FA class TBH. We wont have the cap to sign a perennial championship roster becuase outside of Durant, there really isn't much left...
Paz
Analyst

Post#6 » by Paz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:20 am

The Bosh contract will really hand-cuff us.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#7 » by DefenseWins » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 am

Paz wrote:The Bosh contract will really hand-cuff us.

Riley will move Bosh when Wade retires

We will start anew

And I dont mind

It's coming

Also he said no shake ups but he tried to go after Lopez. Riley will get after something when he sees the opportunity when it's also clear we see standing pat because our role players are not valuable
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,995

Post#8 » by eddieheatfan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:31 am

DefenseWins wrote:

We will start anew

And I dont mind

It's coming

Also he said no shake ups but he tried to go after Lopez. Riley will get after something when he sees the opportunity when it's also clear we see standing pat because our role players are not valuable
what makes you think that? i mean bosh has been playing "un-toronto" like since he came here and yet riley signed him for a big contract. i am sorry to disagree but i dont see riley letting go of him unless he gets a better "name" out there.hope i am the wrong one here though
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#9 » by DefenseWins » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:43 am

eddieheatfan wrote:
DefenseWins wrote:

We will start anew

And I dont mind

It's coming

what makes you think that? i mean bosh has been playing "un-toronto" like since he came here and yet riley signed him for a big contract. i am sorry to disagree but i dont see riley letting go of him unless he gets a better "name" out there.hope i am the wrong one here though

Pat isn't a stranger to trading big names, especially when they suck. Wade and UD still untouchable but Bosh's contract makes them want to move him even more
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#10 » by dr3am » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:43 am

Glad the Don kept it real. I don't know why so many Heat fans on this site think 2016 will mean like we're bringing KD in or something. We'll be a good team and make moves but as far as favorites to win it all, that's yet to be seen
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#11 » by QUIZ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:07 am

I like what Riley said. We're fighting for the 6th, 7th, or 8th seed. So get real about it, don't feel sorry about it, and get after it. So many people go into "We suck the futures hopeless" mode. Just relax. Give Riley and this team a chance. A big 3 like 2010 will NEVER happen again. The rules have changed to prevent it. Like Riley said for a superstar to leave his current team and the max money that they can offer he must really hate where he's playing. So expect all the big names to resign with their current teams. Only time will tell. Regardless of what happens I'll still be here. I'll ride or die with this team no matter what.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
IggieCC
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 239,684

Post#12 » by IggieCC » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:20 am

Yeah, KD is a pipe. Why would he go anywhere but OKC or maybe Wizards? They happen to have 2 of the best PGs and decent supporting cast. But somehow he decides to take a chance with us because he likes nice weather? He obviously doesn't lol.

I'm cautiously optimistic about 2016. I'll be just happy to NOT SEE some of the vets here that should be retired or go to other teams for better opportunities. It will be somewhat of fresh start whatever happens :)
3rd best winnng%(73.3%) + most wins(11w) = best true winning % OP
Sole Multiple Banner Holder of 2021-2022 SZN. FACTS
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#13 » by EscapoTHB » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:30 am

The don. I Like what he said. Hopefully the team will respond.
Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Post#14 » by Mars » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:53 am

What this season ultimately boils down to...

"The overall health is a game-changer," Riley said. "It just is. That's all there is to it. Everyone goes through it but we're at a point where when we lose one, it really sort of drops us to another level. Some teams can overcome short-term losses. The overall health from this point on to the end of the season — it's paramount that we have our players [that] coach can put on the court every single night."

GUTSâ„¢
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#15 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 am

dr3am wrote:Glad the Don kept it real. I don't know why so many Heat fans on this site think 2016 will mean like we're bringing KD in or something. We'll be a good team and make moves but as far as favorites to win it all, that's yet to be seen

A lot of people here can't deal with a reality check or can't deal with the uncertainty of the future. That's why a lot of weak people here wanna tank, which is basically quitting in the hopes a great talent might fall into our hands.

I hope this statement wakes the team up. It really all started last year that we've just not been working hard enough during the regular season and it's continued this season, only that now we have a star player less.

#HeatLifer
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#16 » by Maroko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

DWadeno3 wrote:
dr3am wrote:Glad the Don kept it real. I don't know why so many Heat fans on this site think 2016 will mean like we're bringing KD in or something. We'll be a good team and make moves but as far as favorites to win it all, that's yet to be seen

A lot of people here can't deal with a reality check or can't deal with the uncertainty of the future. That's why a lot of weak people here wanna tank, which is basically quitting in the hopes a great talent might fall into our hands.

I hope this statement wakes the team up. It really all started last year that we've just not been working hard enough during the regular season and it's continued this season, only that now we have a star player less.

What is your plan then ? 2 consecutives correct season ? WOW we will make the playoffs with a 1st round exit, that's a great acheviement.
We all enjoyed the first month but the joy is gone a long time ago (except that game against the Cavs ?
It's not just about tanking but maximising our chances for next year.
Making the playoffs this year, it's like playing against ourself, we wont have that much flexibility this offseason. What is the point of making the playoffs this season ? Saving our egos ? Making history ?

It's not about being weak but smart and proactive for a bright future
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#17 » by Hallstar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Maroko wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

What is your plan then ? 2 consecutives correct season ? WOW we will make the playoffs with a 1st round exit, that's a great acheviement.
We all enjoyed the first month but the joy is gone a long time ago (except that game against the Cavs ?
Making the playoffs this year, it's like playing against ourself, we wont have that much flexibility this offseason. What is the point of making the playoffs this season ? Saving our egos ? Making history ?

It's not missing the playoffs, the team has to be bottom 8 just to secure the pick. There is no realistic scenario where that happens barring season ending injuries which probably screw you next year.
Then you're relying on the Heat to draft and develop some 19 yr old heading into their true goal of free agency in 2016. It's a pointless exercise sucking just to suck
Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#18 » by Maroko » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Hallstar wrote:
Maroko wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

It's not missing the playoffs, the team has to be bottom 8 just to secure the pick. There is no realistic scenario where that happens barring season ending injuries which probably screw you next year.
Then you're relying on the Heat to draft and develop some 19 yr old heading into their true goal of free agency in 2016. It's a pointless exercise sucking just to suck

Who said it's just missing the playoffs ???
Actually we are not trying to tank/rebuild, right ? So look how far is that bottom 8th place

So yeah we are not sure to make the playoffs anyway but i will hate if we dont make the playoffs and be over that bottom 8th place
It's not like we can make huge upgrade this offseason, our chips are very bad

People would prefer 2 consecutive mediocre seasons instead of one ! 'Our problems is not just the point guard position, of course we need an upgrade but we have a lot to fix, lucky for us we got Brightside
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#19 » by DWadeno3 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:02 pm

Maroko wrote:
DWadeno3 wrote:

I want for us to compete as hard as we can. If that's enough for the playoffs, great, if not, then we'll receive the pick we deserve anyways (and tanking this year would have to be a massive tanking job because we'll have to dive low enough in order to even get out 1st). Sports is mostly about competition. Regardless of how good you are, that's the point of going out there. By the logic of "we're not good enough to compete for a title, so let's mail it in", at least 20 clubs could follow the same logic. But aside of the fact that we do have talent, I always want the team I root for to play to the best of its abilities. By tanking, we wouldn't do that.

We can always improve our team, whether that's through free agency or trades. McRoberts is a trade asset, as is Rio and Deng will either opt out and provide us with some cap flexibility or opt in and become a trade asset as well. Some of our youngsters might improve because we have young talent on this roster. There are plenty of other ways to improve your team while still competing.

The only way I want us to have a high pick is if we competed hard and just weren't good enough. I'm as pissed as anybody about our current struggles because I believe we're selling ourselves short. My solution is to not just give in and take the pressure off of it by not giving a f*** anymore, but rather to push our existing players and coaches to do more. If you don't do that, then you'll be traded, released, fired or what not.

And as for getting knocked out in the 1st round: It sure beats being a bottom feeder a la the Sixers, who are a plain joke of a franchise and won't be good for a few more years to come. Once you reach the playoffs, anything can happen though. We wouldn't be the first low-seed to suddenly make a strong playoff push.

Aside of my different approach, tanking doesn't guarantee you anything anyways.

#HeatLifer
Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#20 » by Hallstar » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:33 pm

People want to throw away the season, get the 10th pick and then we'll trade it for Tyson Chandler or Brook Lopez or draft somebody that won't be developed. I just don't see the positive

Return to Miami Heat