ImageImageImage

Melo : Pull the trigger or not !

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Melo : Will you put the trigger or not ?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 7, 2015 9:04 am

Yes !
50%
No !
50%

Total votes: 44

Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,868

Re: Melo : Pull the trigger or not ! 

Post#61 » by Paz » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:34 am

He's a fat quitter with injury concerns and body odor. He stops the ball and dominates the offense to be effective. Whatever he will give you on the offensive end will come at the expense of fluidity and defensive presence. His me first attitude and complete lack of interest in defense and team ball is why he deserves to be on the Knicks.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#62 » by QUIZ » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:37 am

Maroko wrote:
KingDavid wrote:Whoooooooaaaaaaa Melo has a 15% trade kicker. Hell end up with $30 million a year. Idk about that.

Good find !

Article from last season :
Another obstacle ā€“ the 15 percent trade kicker in Meloā€™s contract ā€“ has been overstated. It would not affect anything if heā€™s traded this season. A trade kicker canā€™t raise a playerā€™s salary above the max, and Carmelo is already there.

However, if Melo is traded next season, when his salary drops below the max, the trade kicker would net him more money. If the salary cap rises high enough, the final three years of Meloā€™s contract could also fall below the max, and if it does, a trade during those seasons would also provide Melo his trade bonus.

A trade this season wouldnā€™t get Melo any extra money. A trade next season would definitely get him extra money. A trade after that might get him extra money.

Source : http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/12/report-carmelo-anthony-open-to-waiving-no-trade-clause/

So as long as he is traded this season we have nothing to worry about as far as his trade kicker goes. That's good to know.

I also found this

Anthony signed a five-year, $124 million contract -- which included a no-trade clause -- prior to this season. Anthony's contract also contains a 15 percent "trade kicker," a source confirmed. This clause would require the Knicks to pay Anthony a 15 percent increase in his remaining salary if he is traded.
Donā€™t let us get one. ā€” Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#63 » by QUIZ » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:40 am

Paz wrote:He's a fat quitter with injury concerns and body odor. He stops the ball and dominates the offense to be effective. Whatever he will give you on the offensive end will come at the expense of fluidity and defensive presence. His me first attitude and complete lack of interest in defense and team ball is why he deserves to be on the Knicks.

But he is one of Wade's best friends. :(

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW0H4OrTP-0[/youtube]

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#64 » by goodboy » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:45 am

Kobe and Melo were the best of buds. Surprisingly Kobe.
Bright
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#65 » by QUIZ » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:50 am

On a serious note though, Melo if given a proper role and surrounded by talent he can be very effective. His two best seasons occurred when he spent the majority of his time as a small ball 4. He was also a high volume 38%+ 3pt shooter during those two years, plus he's a great rebounder. That versatility shouldn't be taken lightly. He can play off ball, he is a legit low post presence, contrary to popular belief he isn't just a chucker and if given the opportunity I don't see why he couldn't buy into something great.

Bosh was the skinny guy who didn't play defense and never won anything back when he was in Toronto, he came here and became one of the most versatile defensive bigs in the league.

Melo's ability so score on and off ball, his ability to rebound, space the floor and play the 4 would be very valuable and if the price is Rio (who most already want gone), Deng (whose gone next year any way), McBob (our backup 4), and Winslow I'd do it. At the very least I think Riley would give it a lot of thought.

If trading for Melo doesn't inhibit us from resigning Whiteside I'm all for it. Andy will figure it all out if and when the time comes though.

Maroko
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,432

Post#66 » by Maroko » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:06 am

Paz wrote:He's a fat quitter with injury concerns and body odor. He stops the ball and dominates the offense to be effective. Whatever he will give you on the offensive end will come at the expense of fluidity and defensive presence. His me first attitude and complete lack of interest in defense and team ball is why he deserves to be on the Knicks.

He is a different player when he is playing for team USA, he didnt need to be a volume scorer. He knows how to adapt with the guys he plays with. He wont need to take a lot of shot.
Have you checked the video Qjz123 posted and how he posted so easily our best defender Deng ? As i said his game fits perfectly our offense way more than LeBron.
So yes our defense will suffer but anything comes with a price.

This trade might never happen but i think with him we have a better shot to win it all. We will lose some depth but we can find some good players specially after getting him.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,259

Post#67 » by twix2500 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 9:39 am

Im not surprised some don't want melo, because there were people who didn't want lebron before he came here. lol

Yes Riley would make a move for melo. He tried last summer.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,498

Re: 

Post#68 » by Bishop45 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:19 pm

twix2500 wrote:Im not surprised some don't want melo, because there were people who didn't want lebron before he came here. lol

The difference between last season and this season is ________. The difference between Lebron and Melo is _______.
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,561

Post#69 » by Slot Machine » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:45 pm

qjz123 wrote:Damn that says a lot about Melo lol. The majority of posters here don't want him.

It says more about the posters on this forum than it does about Carmelo.

It's one thing to be hesitant of his contract, unsure if we want to mortgage our future, etc and another to spout the uneducated, ignorant ESPN narratives that I've read in this thread.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#70 » by gom » Wed Aug 5, 2015 4:19 pm

Slot Machine wrote:
qjz123 wrote:Damn that says a lot about Melo lol. The majority of posters here don't want him.

It's one thing to be hesitant of his contract, unsure if we want to mortgage our future, etc and another to spout the uneducated, ignorant ESPN narratives that I've read in this thread.

In my case, it's not that I don't want Carmelo Anthony, who I believe is a versatile scorer and solid rebounder. In a defined role on our team, he would give significant punch for a team that lacked offense. Combining him with Bosh/Wade/Whiteside and of course Dragic means a very complicated offense to stop. I also agree that the defense would suffer.

I wouldn't put Winslow in the transaction, however. Unfortunately, for cap reasons our dream of signing Whiteside is kaput if we get Carmelo, so I can see him as part of the transaction, and therein lies the problem. We can sign Whiteside without Andersen/Deng/Chalmers (all expiring), which is about $20M expiring, but replacing them with Carmelo who is signed until at least 2017-8, removes the flexibility that we have struggled to achieve.

Thus, we can't keep Whiteside so he becomes a tradable asset.

So, no Winslow would not be in the transaction, but we're really looking at something like:

Deng/Chalmers/Andersen/Whiteside for Carmelo and that, for me, isn't worth it. I'd rather keep Whiteside & Winslow and attempt to trade for Carmelo next year if we have the assets. So I think that it's not a case of not wanting Carmelo, as a case of wanting to keep Whiteside (& Winslow).
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Rich2Hassan
RealGM
And1: 5,800

Post#71 » by Rich2Hassan » Wed Aug 5, 2015 4:40 pm

Durant's foot may never be the same. Lets see him play an entire season first.
Heat President of TANK operations.
Tony15
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,864

Melo : Pull the trigger or not ! 

Post#72 » by Tony15 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:59 pm

twix2500 wrote:Im not surprised some don't want melo, because there were people who didn't want lebron before he came here. lol

The gulf between LeBron and 'Melo is vast....so the comparison your making is absurd. And the people who claim they didn't want LeBron likely didn't think getting him was possible....bottom line, there are fans who don't want to sacrifice the future for a 31 year old with bad knees.

Not happening anyhow....

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#73 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:00 pm

N82WILL wrote:Durant's footAnthony's knee may never be the same. Lets see him play an entire season first.

See how easy that was?
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#74 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:08 pm

gom wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:

In my case, it's not that I don't want Carmelo Anthony, who I believe is a versatile scorer and solid rebounder. In a defined role on our team, he would give significant punch for a team that lacked offense. Combining him with Bosh/Wade/Whiteside and of course Dragic means a very complicated offense to stop. I also agree that the defense would suffer.

I wouldn't put Winslow in the transaction, however. Unfortunately, for cap reasons our dream of signing Whiteside is kaput if we get Carmelo, so I can see him as part of the transaction, and therein lies the problem. We can sign Whiteside without Andersen/Deng/Chalmers (all expiring), which is about $20M expiring, but replacing them with Carmelo who is signed until at least 2017-8, removes the flexibility that we have struggled to achieve.

So, no Winslow would not be in the transaction, but we're really looking at something like:

Deng/Chalmers/Andersen/Whiteside for Carmelo and that, for me, isn't worth it. I'd rather keep Whiteside & Winslow and attempt to trade for Carmelo next year if we have the assets. So I think that it's not a case of not wanting Carmelo, as a case of wanting to keep Whiteside (& Winslow).

Birdman was not a part of the original trade;

Wade is a free agent next summer and we have his rights, therefore we can sign Whiteside first as his max allowed is $18 million/per and then go over the cap if we need to for Wade after that. We would have to include Winslow. I don't see any other way PJ accepts any other trade offer from us without Winslow. Whiteside was never on the table. He's an unrestricted free agent with no rights to claim, so any team in the league can offer him the same max contract. Only a stupid team would trade for him.

Mind you, I love our team as constructed, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing this trade.
#HEATLifer

Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#75 » by Temuhjan » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:25 pm

I will throw in Winslow as well and go all-in with a win-now strategy. This is gonna be one heck of a team good enough to beat Bron and his cry babies.

Also, I like Josh Richardson better as the backup swinger
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#76 » by QUIZ » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:27 pm

KingDavid wrote:
gom wrote:
Slot Machine wrote:It says more about the posters on this forum than it does about Carmelo.

Wade is a free agent next summer and we have his rights, therefore we can sign Whiteside first as his max allowed is $18 million/per and then go over the cap if we need to for Wade after that. We would have to include Winslow. I don't see any other way PJ accepts any other trade offer from us without Winslow. Whiteside was never on the table. He's an unrestricted free agent with no rights to claim, so any team in the league can offer him the same max contract. Only a stupid team would trade for him.

Mind you, I love our team as constructed, but I wouldn't be opposed to doing this trade.

Wade's gonna have a $29mill cap hold next season. Which means when the time to resign Whiteside comes we're either going to have to sign Wade 1st to a lesser amount to replace his insane cap hold or we're going to have to relinquish his bird rights. So we won't be able to go over the cap to resign Wade after signing Whiteside.

Carmelo is set to make $24.5mill in 2016, if McBob and Winslow are included in the trade then we'd have around $45.5mill in cap space in 2016. Subtract Carmelo's salary and we'd have $21mill left which we could then offer to Whiteside.

In this scenario Wade would take a min deal in 2016 then in 2017 when the cap jumped again his cap hold would be so small that we could once again add another FA while going over the cap afterwords to offer Wade up to the max to help him recoup his money.

If push comes to shove I think Andy and the Heat could make the salaries work. It should be interesting to see it all go down.

KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#77 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:32 pm

qjz123 wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
gom wrote:

Wade's gonna have a $29mill cap hold next season. Which means when the time to resign Whiteside comes we're either going to have to sign Wade 1st to a lesser amount to replace his insane cap hold or we're going to have to relinquish his bird rights. So we won't be able to go over the cap to resign Wade after signing Whiteside.

Carmelo is set to make $24.5mill in 2016, if McBob and Winslow are included in the trade then we'd have around $45.5mill in cap space in 2016. Subtract Carmelo's salary and we'd have $21mill left which we could then offer to Whiteside.

In this scenario Wade would take a min deal in 2016 then in 2017 when the cap jumped again his cap hold would be so small that we could once again add another FA while going over the cap afterwords to offer Wade up to the max to help him recoup his money.

If push comes to shove I think Andy and the Heat could make the salaries work. It should be interesting to see it all go down.

Oh wow, I didn't know Wade had such a crazy cap hold. Then gom was right. We can't get Melo if we want to keep Whiteside.

Wade isn't signing for the minimum, hell naw. What's the cap supposed to jump to next summer?

Snorlax doesn't deal with player salaries. That's all Riley and by extension, Arison. Snorlax handles everything else.
#HEATLifer

Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#78 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm not against trading winslow, but not sure melo is the guy I want.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#79 » by gom » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:12 pm

KingDavid wrote:Oh wow, I didn't know Wade had such a crazy cap hold. Then gom was right. We can't get Melo if we want to keep Whiteside.

And that breaks the deal for you too, right? It does for me. And a team that has an unhappy player asking for a trade who has a giant salary doesn't have much say in the matter. New York will take what they an get if it comes to that.

1. I want to keep Winslow. Once Deng goes he can hold the 3 for us or even move to 2 after Wade leaves. He's the future of this team that doesn't have a lot invested in its future.
2. I don't want to trade Whiteside. When the gods give you a gold mine when you're digging in a dumpster, you don't toss it back. Fate has not smiled on us like this since we drafted Wade.

So, I'm off the Carmelo bus. Not because I don't like him as a player - I actually really think he'd be a shot in the arm for us - but I care more about the next 5 years than this season. Besides, I'm not sure in two years with good development from Winslow and Whiteside dominating the center position in the East we'd be worse off.

Just my opinion... I surely could be wrong.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#80 » by KingDavid » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:19 pm

gom wrote:
KingDavid wrote:Oh wow, I didn't know Wade had such a crazy cap hold. Then gom was right. We can't get Melo if we want to keep Whiteside.

And that breaks the deal for you too, right? It does for me. And a team that has an unhappy player asking for a trade who has a giant salary doesn't have much say in the matter. New York will take what they an get if it comes to that.

1. I want to keep Winslow. Once Deng goes he can hold the 3 for us or even move to 2 after Wade leaves. He's the future of this team that doesn't have a lot invested in its future.
2. I don't want to trade Whiteside. When the gods give you a gold mine when you're digging in a dumpster, you don't toss it back. Fate has not smiled on us like this since we drafted Wade.

So, I'm off the Carmelo bus. Not because I don't like him as a player - I actually really think he'd be a shot in the arm for us - but I care more about the next 5 years than this season. Besides, I'm not sure in two years with good development from Winslow and Whiteside dominating the center position in the East we'd be worse off.

Just my opinion... I surely could be wrong.

Yeah, that changes my mind. This was under the premise of keeping Whiteside now and in the long run. I'd be reluctantly willing to let go of Winslow and a few others in Deng, McBob, and Rio. But not at the expense of Whiteside. Hell no. That makes our defense vanish completely among other things. I refuse to rely on a Birdman and Amar'e center rotation at this stage of their careers. Such a nasty, gaping hole in the middle wouldn't get us out of the East at all unless the cap spikes the to a value of a max contract.

Stay as is.
#HEATLifer

Return to Miami Heat