ImageImageImage

wade's take on the starting 5

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,995

wade's take on the starting 5 

Post#1 » by eddieheatfan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:12 am

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-dwyane-wade-s102515-story.html

he says:
"We have to learn to share the game together as a unit," he said. "We've got a lot of scorers on this team and we have a lot of playmakers, so we have to make plays for each other, and move the ball around, and get spacing for each other, to make the game easier for one another.

"And the only thing that scares me about it is that we've got a lot of guys who are offensively minded, especially in that first unit. There's not a lot of role players in that first unit. So sometimes you look at it and say that first unit is talented, 'Over the years this guy averaged this, this, this and this.' But that could be bad thing, too, because maybe there's no one willing to sacrifice."

"The next unit is easy: Find Gerald," Wade said with a laugh. "You ain't got to worry about, 'Chris need it, Dwyane need it, Lu need it, Hassan need it.' No, Gerald needs it."

this has caught my attention,could it be that there are ego issues with the first team?discuss!
cyclix
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,636

Re: wade's take on the starting 5 

Post#2 » by cyclix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:21 am

One thing I know works with this starting unit is Wade and Whiteside PnR. Was hoping I would see more Dragic-Bosh PnP/PnR but have been disappointed thus far. Dragic didn't do much this summer conditioning-wise, and it shows. Deng is becoming kinda useless. He isn't a true 3nD player like Miami wants him to be. If we omit the corners, he is a terrible 3 PT shooter. To me, the problems have been Dragic and Deng. The rest have looked decent.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#3 » by QUIZ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:23 am

Ego issues coming from who? Bosh? Dragic? Those guys are way to nice and passive to have to worry about that.

If prime LBJ and Wade could work out their ego issues back when they were literally the two best players in the league surely this unit can.

Top to bottom in terms of control/ influence among the starters I'd guess the team goes

1. Wade
2. Bosh
3. Goran
4. Deng
5. Whiteside
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 24,995

Post#4 » by eddieheatfan » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:31 am

qjz123 wrote:Ego issues coming from who? Bosh? Dragic? Those guys are way to nice and passive to have to worry about that.

If prime LBJ and Wade could work out their ego issues back when they were literally the two best players in the league surely this unit can.

Top to bottom in terms of control/ influence among the starters I'd guess the team goes

1. Wade
2. Bosh
3. Goran
4. Deng
5. Whiteside
hope you are right but notice that he is worried that there's no role players on that first unit and thus he is afraid that nobody would be willing to sacrifice for the team.remember that cabron had the heavy load of the team and that bosh and wade relegated themselves to be second and third option respectfully for the sake of the whole team.also take notice that the whole thing looked pretty bad specially at the last championship playoffs when the spurs humiliated miami in such a way that cabron went back to cleveturd with his tail between his legs.also the heat won one of the two championships thanks to the 3-point shooting miracle shot of ray allen.

besides,he is saying all this stuff for a reason because whats the point in saying all this if everything is okay?
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#5 » by Chalm Down » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:11 am

cyclix wrote:One thing I know works with this starting unit is Wade and Whiteside PnR. Was hoping I would see more Dragic-Bosh PnP/PnR but have been disappointed thus far. Dragic didn't do much this summer conditioning-wise, and it shows. Deng is becoming kinda useless. He isn't a true 3nD player like Miami wants him to be. If we omit the corners, he is a terrible 3 PT shooter. To me, the problems have been Dragic and Deng. The rest have looked decent.

Wade didn't look too great either. He shot even worse than Dragic did (with a lot of bad shot selections at that)
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by cyclix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:19 am

Chalm Down wrote:
cyclix wrote:One thing I know works with this starting unit is Wade and Whiteside PnR. Was hoping I would see more Dragic-Bosh PnP/PnR but have been disappointed thus far. Dragic didn't do much this summer conditioning-wise, and it shows. Deng is becoming kinda useless. He isn't a true 3nD player like Miami wants him to be. If we omit the corners, he is a terrible 3 PT shooter. To me, the problems have been Dragic and Deng. The rest have looked decent.

Wade didn't look too great either. He shot even worse than Dragic did (with a lot of bad shot selections at that)

Wade has helped Miami in other ways than Dragic, and he showed better playmaking and all around skills while not looking nearly as disengaged and lackadaisical as Dragic on the court. Yes, he did have his Kobe moments, but in general he looks more prepared than Dragic for the season.
Chalm Down
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chalm Down » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:29 am

cyclix wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:

Wade has helped Miami in other ways than Dragic, and he showed better playmaking and all around skills while not looking nearly as disengaged and lackadaisical as Dragic on the court. Yes, he did have his Kobe moments, but in general he looks more prepared than Dragic for the season.

Eh, Dragic did an okay job with play-making too...he had more assists/game than Wade did. Also, Wade was pretty disengaged on the defensive end (not that it really matters too much in preseason, but still).

I don't mean to rag on Wade, but my overall takeaway is that both starting guards have a ton of work to do, and they need to find the proper balance with each other that will make this team the best it can be.
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,177

Post#8 » by dolphinatik » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:31 am

this is what happens when a team is only used to playing hero ball. Nobody should "need it", the need comes with the open opportunity. Dragic Bosh and Deng have all played very well in roles where the team works together so I dont see how they are the issues all of a sudden. Problem is players are trying to stay in their "Heat role" and they are not fitting. Its better if Spo planned to get the most out of what his starters are good at.

Wade can start be leading by example on defense and moving without the ball on offense
Bosh can be more aggressive on D and post up closer to the basket on offense
Deng can move off screen and cut to the basket more without the ball
Dragic can be more aggressive demanding the ball and decisive in directing his teammates.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
cyclix
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by cyclix » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:41 am

Chalm Down wrote:Eh, Dragic did an okay job with play-making too...he had more assists/game than Wade did. Also, Wade was pretty disengaged on the defensive end (not that it really matters too much in preseason, but still).

I don't mean to rag on Wade, but my overall takeaway is that both starting guards have a ton of work to do, and they need to find the proper balance with each other that will make this team the best it can be.

Its no secret that Wade is declining defensively, but he still had his moments on that end. Generally despite the statistics, Wade looks to be a great shape, moving well while you can easily tell Dragic needs to improve his conditioning. Article just came out 5 days ago about Dragic's stamina being a concern for Heat staff.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/miami-heat-goran-dragic-s102015-story.html

Wade can sometimes be frustrating with his ill-advised shot selection, but Dragic isn't helping his cause either. I think their improving chemistry and understanding each others tendencies will just come with more experience, as both are intelligent and talented guards.
Chalm Down
RealGM

Post#10 » by Chalm Down » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 am

cyclix wrote:
Chalm Down wrote:Eh, Dragic did an okay job with play-making too...he had more assists/game than Wade did. Also, Wade was pretty disengaged on the defensive end (not that it really matters too much in preseason, but still).

Its no secret that Wade is declining defensively, but he still had his moments on that end. Generally despite the statistics, Wade looks to be a great shape, moving well while you can easily tell Dragic needs to improve his conditioning. Article just came out 5 days ago about Dragic's stamina being a concern for Heat staff.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/miami-heat-goran-dragic-s102015-story.html

Wade can sometimes be frustrating with his ill-advised shot selection, but Dragic isn't helping his cause either. I think their improving chemistry and understanding each others tendencies will just come with more experience, as both are intelligent and talented guards.

I agree, I have a hard time seeing them not figuring things out eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later, but we'll see.
DWadeno3
RealGM
And1: 2,941

Post#11 » by DWadeno3 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 am

He was most likely asked about the issues the starting five has had in preseason and pointed out that all players are accustomed to taking responsibility on offense which sometimes hinders good ball movement. There's no need to make this sound more dramatic than it is.

#HeatLifer
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,294

Post#12 » by goodboy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 am

Not worried about ego clash at all. Like quiz mentioned about Prime James/Wade coordinating together as one as well as proven CB(who sacrificed a ton) this challenge would be nothing that they can't conquer.
Bright
xant1311
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#13 » by xant1311 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Well it would be pretty stupid if the starters went all out in the Pre-Season especially Dragic and Wade attacking the rim where them getting hurt is at a higher percentage. We will see how the first 5 games play out to see the realistic picture.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#14 » by 3ballbomber » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:22 am

D is preaching sacrifice - something he knows too well about playing beside Lebron. I like that he pointed it out. Ball movement is key, we know the Big 3 were dismantled by Spurs heavy ball movement and team ball. It's all a matter of chemistry and how long it will take to achieve that w/ the starting unit. But before chemistry, most importantly we need continuity, stability & that comes w/ being healthy and our starting players clocking in minutes together - they've played very minimal minutes together and it will take some work to get things flowing. This ain't gone be an over night thing folks......patience and determination. We have some of the most unselfish players in our starting line up - i ain't even worried about it. Once these cats click, league best watch out!
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
Shewasfly
Head Coach
And1: 11,761

Post#15 » by Shewasfly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:06 am

I don't disagree with Wade when he talks about basketball a lot but I disagree with him here. I think its great that we have playmakers from so many different positions. I think the problem is that none of them can shoot.

Its easy to swing and move without the basketball when you have spacing on the floor. Right now the offense can swing the ball and the defense still barely moves because they are just sitting back in the paint. The starting unit's spacing is terrible and it makes everything look incredibly difficult on offense. Combined with the fact that Spo's offense just sucks in general, you have a lot of guys just reverting to trying to do it themselves.
:tiredJB:
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#16 » by EscapoTHB » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 am

I don't think it's that hard. We have the 4 most perfect players to have for pick and roll basketball in Bosh/Dragic/Wade/Whiteside. Deng needs to hit the corner 3 when it's open or sit down. But that's it. Everything else should be pick and roll try to get into the paint, over and over until we do. We should be among the league leaders in points in the paint.

Return to Miami Heat