ImageImageImage

Why is Whiteside getting no shots?

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Axel
Veteran
And1: 1,133

Re: Why is Whiteside getting no shots? 

Post#61 » by Axel » Wed Dec 2, 2015 3:17 am

EscapoTHB wrote:It's mind boggling how he isn't getting 10 shots a game minimum. I thought he'd be getting 15 a game this year. I don't know what the problem is exactly. It's like we don't want to win.

Our coach still sucks, that's the problem.

Whiteside sits every 4th quarter, even though he's the primary reason for improvement in our team defense. For some reason scrubs like Gerald Green and Josh McRoberts are on the court every fourth despite rarely contributing anything.
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#62 » by Heat_team02 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 1:53 pm

N82WILL wrote:He's a Black hole.

Just about right. He's a ball stopper. Once he gets it he takes it /very little passing.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#63 » by Heat_team02 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 2:06 pm

I read the 1st 2 pages all I can say is I was one of the only ones who was vocally opposed to Wade's contract (got bashed for it) as well as Deng opting in when the writing on the wall (our picks/Green etc) were on the wall.(got bashed here as well)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Heat_Fan_87
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#64 » by Heat_Fan_87 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 2:50 pm

Axel wrote:
EscapoTHB wrote:It's mind boggling how he isn't getting 10 shots a game minimum. I thought he'd be getting 15 a game this year. I don't know what the problem is exactly. It's like we don't want to win.

Whiteside sits every 4th quarter, even though he's the primary reason for improvement in our team defense. For some reason scrubs like Gerald Green and Josh McRoberts are on the court every fourth despite rarely contributing anything.

He doesn't suck. Look at the pieces he has to work with.

Wade and bosh do not want to play uptempo. they want a slow pace game. this handicaps dragic.
We constatnly have at least two poor shooters on the court, defenders will let miami take the 3 and pack the paint.(something they could not do if we had shooters)

Wade has been known and is known to do his own thing and not follow the game plan. he can go hero mode for long stretches and often times will take a low % shot in game winning, (after time out drawn up plays). You can say wade has earned the right to do what he wants, but spo cant be blamed for wade's stubbornness.

bob does not contribute in the areas we really need him to(shooting and scoring) defenders can help off him.

with deng, you know what you will get. the guy is limited in some areas but he usually doesn't hurt you.

Whiteside on offense is interesting. easy double team target, you know he is not going to pass it, tough to run an offense through someone like that.

TJ needs to play a lot more minutes. This kid should be leading the team in minutes. this is where i was pissed at spo last game playing green 36min and bob 25min. smh

green super inconsistent. he will have 1 great game, but then 5 poor ones. not a 3pt threat to defenders unless he makes like 3 in a row. poor help defense that causes our other guys out of position.

our system is pretty good for the pieces we have, if our guys could make more open shots, which are there for the taking, we would win more games. But i'm curious, other than amount of minutes guys play, and the rotation really hasnt been that bad, what would you do different?
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,499

Post#65 » by Bishop45 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 4:55 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:
Whiteside on offense is interesting. easy double team target, you know he is not going to pass it, tough to run an offense through someone like that.

That stigma just isn't true, he's done his earnest this year to kick the ball out... hasn't resulted in assists because 1. Our shooters are constantly hesitant and 2. Whiteside's touches are usually limited to the hockey pass from the top of the key or near mid-post.

Clear cut answer to the Op is that they're just not feelin' his ego and rather win towards his discretion. Only other answer to the question is that our offense is truly inept

I believe the last game where we actually fed the ball to Whiteside or gave it to him near post was the Hawks game after the Rockets game where he barely even got touches in the first half and we had to be getting our backs blown out to feed him against a Howard-less Rockets team

Spoiler:

Went 12-15 in that game and 11-12 in the Hawks game, didn't get anywhere near the same respect since. I didn't think we were getting him the ball enough in those games either. I understand going with the hot hand, but were never gunna' get that consistency if we keep freezing out key players from game to game. If the ego's are too much to manage, then bench somebody

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BSaWtaIFXc[/youtube]

By half-time he was back to being limited to lobs/pnr
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Axel
Veteran

Post#66 » by Axel » Thu Dec 3, 2015 5:32 pm

Heat_Fan_87 wrote:
Axel wrote:

He doesn't suck. Look at the pieces he has to work with.

Wade and bosh do not want to play uptempo. they want a slow pace game. this handicaps dragic.
We constatnly have at least two poor shooters on the court, defenders will let miami take the 3 and pack the paint.(something they could not do if we had shooters)

Wade has been known and is known to do his own thing and not follow the game plan. he can go hero mode for long stretches and often times will take a low % shot in game winning, (after time out drawn up plays). You can say wade has earned the right to do what he wants, but spo cant be blamed for wade's stubbornness.

bob does not contribute in the areas we really need him to(shooting and scoring) defenders can help off him.

with deng, you know what you will get. the guy is limited in some areas but he usually doesn't hurt you.

TJ needs to play a lot more minutes. This kid should be leading the team in minutes. this is where i was pissed at spo last game playing green 36min and bob 25min. smh

green super inconsistent. he will have 1 great game, but then 5 poor ones. not a 3pt threat to defenders unless he makes like 3 in a row. poor help defense that causes our other guys out of position.

our system is pretty good for the pieces we have, if our guys could make more open shots, which are there for the taking, we would win more games. But i'm curious, other than amount of minutes guys play, and the rotation really hasnt been that bad, what would you do different?

Well, I definitely agree with you about getting TJ some more run. When he's playing aggressive on offense, he can usually get into the paint and draw fouls. He's our best 2 way player off the bench. Whiteside needs to be getting 35 mpg, and McRoberts shouldn't be playing in critical moments. Some stats to go along with the eye test for McRoberts: 6.9 PER and .401 TS%.

I didn't watch him play much in preseason and summer league, but how about giving Josh Richardson a look over GG? Maybe moving Dragic to the bench to play an uptempo game with the reserves. That would put TJ in the starting lineup as a 2 guard with Wade doing most of the facilitating.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#67 » by KingDavid » Thu Dec 3, 2015 10:24 pm

Putting Dragic on the bench...lol
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
Axel
Veteran

Post#68 » by Axel » Fri Dec 4, 2015 1:24 am

KingDavid wrote:Putting Dragic on the bench...lol

The only reason to lol is because it won't happen, not because it shouldn't.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#69 » by KingDavid » Fri Dec 4, 2015 1:27 am

Axel wrote:

A soon to be 34 year old sg that can't shoot 3s and will be an ufa next summer is the reason to put our expensive, 5 year pg on the bench.

They just need to learn to play together.
#HEATLifer

Axel
Veteran

Post#70 » by Axel » Fri Dec 4, 2015 1:51 am

KingDavid wrote:
Axel wrote:

A soon to be 34 year old sg that can't shoot 3s and will be an ufa next summer is the reason to put our expensive, 5 year pg on the bench.

How long would you give them to play together? The problem isn't just Wade-Dragic, but also, Dragic and Whiteside. Whiteside plays better with Wade than Dragic. Dragic needs the ball in his hands and that isn't going to happen when he plays alongside Wade. Our bench plays good D but needs help on O. It seems like Dragic could play a 6th man role like Isaiah Thomas and many other players better than him. You act like "on the bench" means he won't get any playing time. Just because he is earning a big check doesn't mean he play is beyond reproach.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#71 » by KingDavid » Fri Dec 4, 2015 2:00 am

Axel wrote:
KingDavid wrote:
Axel wrote:

How long would you give them to play together? The problem isn't just Wade-Dragic, but also, Dragic and Whiteside. Whiteside plays better with Wade than Dragic. Dragic needs the ball in his hands and that isn't going to happen when he plays alongside Wade. Our bench plays good D but needs help on O. It seems like Dragic could play a 6th man role like Isaiah Thomas and many other players better than him. You act like "on the bench" means he won't get any playing time. Just because he is earning a big check doesn't mean he play is beyond reproach.

Yeah ok. You think this organization would put an $86 million player on the bench? Like I said, they better learn to play together. The problem with Whiteside and Goran has to do with the lack of spacing caused by, you guessed it, Dwyane wade. You don't disgruntle a potential star and growth and set a terrible precedent by benching anyone for a 34 y/o without any chance at a chip. You can lay off the italic hyperbole. There aren't many other 6th men better than dragic is.
#HEATLifer

heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Why is Whiteside getting no shots? 

Post#72 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Dec 4, 2015 2:56 am

I think it's partly that the heat know if the ball goes to him it is never coming out. That leads to reluctance to get him the ball.
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#73 » by EscapoTHB » Fri Dec 4, 2015 6:05 am

heatwillbeback wrote:I think it's partly that the heat know if the ball goes to him it is never coming out. That leads to reluctance to get him the ball.

It's sort of a catch-22 though because he won't pass it because he never gets it, and they won't pass it to him because he never passes it, which causes him to never get it, and thus...never pass it.

I think a little bit of trust could go a long way with Hassan.

Even the Chicago Bulls with Jordan and Pippen used to start every game with some post ups for Cartwight and Perdue, just to get the big man involved in the game. Something like that wouldn't be the worst thing for us.

I just think it's unreasonable to expect a player of Hassan's talent, to happily stay in the game rebounding, blocking shots, and running the floor if you don't reward him. I think he'd play better if we got him ten to twelve shots a game. And in turn I think the team would be better and more balanced.

I think it is on Spo to be honest. He needs to make some plays for Hassan that the heat can run. We don't seem to have any besides pick and roll.
Axel
Veteran

Post#74 » by Axel » Fri Dec 4, 2015 8:52 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Axel wrote:
KingDavid wrote:A soon to be 34 year old sg that can't shoot 3s and will be an ufa next summer is the reason to put our expensive, 5 year pg on the bench.

Yeah ok. You think this organization would put an $86 million player on the bench? Like I said, they better learn to play together. The problem with Whiteside and Goran has to do with the lack of spacing caused by, you guessed it, Dwyane wade. You don't disgruntle a potential star and growth and set a terrible precedent by benching anyone for a 34 y/o without any chance at a chip. You can lay off the italic hyperbole. There aren't many other 6th men better than dragic is.

There also aren't many starting caliber PG's worse than Dragic, especially among contenders.

I guess we just have to deal with it and move on since he's ours for awhile.

I'll use italics when I feel like it.
perempe20
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#75 » by perempe20 » Sat Dec 5, 2015 1:13 pm

Hallstar
Head Coach
And1: 6,798

Post#76 » by Hallstar » Sat Dec 5, 2015 2:16 pm

KingDavid wrote:
Axel wrote:
KingDavid wrote:A soon to be 34 year old sg that can't shoot 3s and will be an ufa next summer is the reason to put our expensive, 5 year pg on the bench.

Maybe he shouldn't have been our pg in the 1st place?

I've said for years Lowry was the pg for the Heat. Dragic will be adequate, but he's never going to be the best player on any Heat team. Paying him 86 million just means he's overpaid, no need to make another bad decision by handing him the team.

The 34 year old will play better than Dragic next year as well
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,445

Post#77 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat Dec 5, 2015 3:01 pm

Hassan not getting enough shots is

1. Not a big issue for us (or him) right now
2. A part of the bigger picture.

First, We don't lack paint scoring, and Hassan has time to develop his passing as his offensive role grows bigger with improvement.

Second, The lack of spacing is crucial for him. Not only is the paint crowed which makes it hard for him to operate in, Even if he's doubles and somehow kicks the ball back out - Wade and Deng and Winslow are not really capable of taking advantage of the good 3 point looks.

Basically defense are packing the paint against us and we're not punishing them from the outside for the most part. The more outside shooting you'll have around Hasasn, the easier it will get for him to get the looks he likes inside.

For now, It's not a urgent problem. He's averaging 13.5 PPG in 29 minutes, that's adequate for a raw big in his second real season, it's not like he's Biyombo out there.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#78 » by Rock Hardy » Sat Dec 5, 2015 5:02 pm

The game is moving away from big men. Whiteside's use has to be applicational. I'm really not sure if retaining him is our top priority. Not if we have a real shot at Durant.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#79 » by KingDavid » Sat Dec 5, 2015 10:26 pm

Rock Hardy wrote:The game is moving away from big men. Whiteside's use has to be applicational. I'm really not sure if retaining him is our top priority. Not if we have a real shot at Durant.

Lol, our defense will suck so bad if he's out. Durant or not.
#HEATLifer

Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,868

Post#80 » by Rock Hardy » Sun Dec 6, 2015 1:27 am

KingDavid wrote:
Rock Hardy wrote:The game is moving away from big men. Whiteside's use has to be applicational. I'm really not sure if retaining him is our top priority. Not if we have a real shot at Durant.

Lol, our defense will suck so bad if he's out. Durant or not.

But will the offensive gains offset the loss? We can run and spread the floor more with Durant. I like Whiteside, but I like Durant more.

Return to Miami Heat