ImageImageImage

Official Miami Heat 2016 Offseason Thread : Free Agency/Trades (part VI) - Get in the Room

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Re: Official Miami Heat 2016 Offseason Thread : Free Agency/Trades (part VI) - back to contending! 

Post#1301 » by dancing2thabeet » Fri May 27, 2016 12:18 am

When's PG13 a FA? Next offseason or the one after that?
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Re: Official Miami Heat 2016 Offseason Thread : Free Agency/Trades (part VI) - back to contending! 

Post#1302 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 27, 2016 12:19 am

HeatFanDan wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
HeatFanDan wrote:No thanks. Can't stand that over-celebrating pos.

Somebody is going to pay him 15 million plus a year.

That's fine. As long as it ain't us. That guy hates the Heat anyway. Doubt he would come here.

I'm only half-joking on this one sadly.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#1303 » by RJM » Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 am

I got bored and wrote a piece on Dwight Howard.

https://rjmarc.wordpress.com/2016/05/26/the-kevin-dwight-show/

Imagine for a moment that it is July 2016. Free agency is rapidly whirring into motion and the Miami HEAT, led by Pat Riley, are getting ready to make an enormous splash once again. We’ve talked about the possibilities of Miami’s two biggest targets, Kevin Durant and Hassan Whiteside, and scenarios that involve them wearing HEAT colors next season. However, if there is one thing this franchise’s loyal fan base must understand, it is to expect the unexpected. Isn’t that what free agency is all about?

Something to dwell on. Riley might have something up his sleeve this summer.

Hint: It has to do with Dwight, KD, and a whole lot of speculation, pipe-dreaming, and sacrifice.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1304 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 27, 2016 12:23 am

RJM wrote:I got bored and wrote a piece on Dwight Howard.

Imagine for a moment that it is July 2016. Free agency is rapidly whirring into motion and the Miami HEAT, led by Pat Riley, are getting ready to make an enormous splash once again. We’ve talked about the possibilities of Miami’s two biggest targets, Kevin Durant and Hassan Whiteside, and scenarios that involve them wearing HEAT colors next season. However, if there is one thing this franchise’s loyal fan base must understand, it is to expect the unexpected. Isn’t that what free agency is all about?

Great work RJM! That's a really good read so far. Thanks for sharing this with us.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#1305 » by 3ballbomber » Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 am

DeeDub wrote:
3ballbomber wrote:
DeeDub wrote:So here's my "Super Friends" scenario in Miami. I don't think it will happen because it is pretty outlandish, but I don't completely rule it out. First, Stephen A was right in 2010 so I give some credibility to his sources about this kind of stuff. Second, LeBron spoke about it and how he'd take less money to make it happen if he had to. Third, the recent stories about the LeBron-Wade and LeBron-Carmelo friendships paint a picture of true, close friendship and we've heard very much the same stuff about the LeBron-Paul friendship. Fourth, these guys and their wives vacation together every year. Fifth, if it is going to happen I think it has to be in Miami or LA and because Wade has been with the Heat his whole career (and the other guys have all moved), if these guys want to do it they may favor Miami so Wade can finish his career here. Sixth, if they are ever going to do it the time is in the next 2 years -- after that they may no longer be a championship-caliber team and the whole concept falls flat if they simply aren't very good.

So is there a way it could happen? I think there is.

Paul will be entering the last year of his deal witht he Clips and they don't seem primed to compete for a title out west. If he wants to leave and makes clear before the trade deadline that he wants to be in Miami and if not traded to Miami the Clips will get nothing for him, I think he could probably force a trade here with Dragic as the major piece. In reality, that wouldn't be a bad consolation for the Clips as it would fill the PG position with a good player who would likely fit their style pretty well. Paul is making $22.9M next year and Dragic $15.9M, so we may need a filler to make the salaries match sufficiently. McBob at $5.8M next year would be perfect, but that might be too much for the Clips to swallow. If so, $5-6M may well be where TyJo ends up (I believe we can actually go over the cap to re-sign him), so TyJo might work as a filler, if necessary.

Bosh's $23.7M may be eligible to come off the books in February as part of a "forced retirement." I don't know for sure if this can be done, but if that is where it is heading I see no reason why the Heat couldn't trade him to the Knicks for Carmelo ($24.6M) and agree to pick up the tab on the remaining $75M or so that Bosh will be due if the forced retirement happens (presumably shortly thereafter). The Knicks are getting essentially nothing but cap relief for Carmelo, but they may well be enough. He's due close to $55M over the subsequent two years of his contract and, because of his no-trade clause, he can ensure that the Knicks will have to pay every penny of it unless they trade him where he wants to go, which in this scenario is Miami. I suspect the Knicks very well might go for that.

So that's how the Heat get Paul and Carmelo. Can they do that while keeping Wade and Whiteside? It appears so. With an estimated $42M available under the cap this offseason before resigning TyJo, they can give Whiteside his $21M and could give Wade about $21M too. Deng and JJohnson would presumably have to go, unless Wade and Whitey are willing to give something up to keep one (or both). The rest of the roster would be filled out with minimums and exceptions.

LeBron, meanwhile, does another 2 yr deal with Cleveland with the opt out after next season. If LeBron wins a title this year, he will have brought them a title as he "promised" and stayed for a chance to repeat. If he loses this year, he gives it a 3rd year and if he wins a title next year also fulfills his "promise." If he doesn't win after 3 years, he can leave saying he gave it 3 years and did his best, but it just didn't happen and he's not forever beholden to the Cavs or Dan Gilbert. By the 2017 offseason, the cap is expected to go up to around $111M (I think), so if Wade and Paul were to re-up at their 2016-17 salaries there'd still be about $20M for LeBron even if the Heat was still saddled with McBob's contract. If they can get rid of it, they could have around $26M for LeBron. Or Wade and Paul could opt out and they could redistribute their salaries along with LeBron. Carmelo will be vastly overpaid by then and making much more than the others, but I don't think there'd be anything to prevent him from informally sharing, i.e., after he gets paid by the Heat, with his buddies if that was what the Super Friends were to agree on.

This scenario would give the Heat a great starting 5 of Paul, Wade, LeBron, Carmelo and Whiteside, each at pretty much their natural position (at least in today's NBA with so many stretch-4s and so little post play at the 4). They would also keep two young, defensive oriented wings in Winslow and Richardson.

Again, it probably won't happen, but I think it could and it would be pretty damn interesting if it did.

This new generation of thinking that we need to form super teams to compete is soft as f*ck.

Nobody is saying it needs to be done to compete. Of course, it does make it easier to compete. You do pretty much need two superstars and at least one premium sub-superstar.

Nor is it any kind of new generation thing. The Lakers traded for Wilt Chamberlain to add to Elgin Baylor and Jerry West to try to beat Boston. Then Magic Johnson made it known that we wouldn't have come out of Michigan State and entered the draft that year if the Lakers hadn't won the coin toss for the first pick. Charles Barkley forced his way out of Philly to get onto a stacked Suns team so he could have a legit shot at winning a title. Then Barkley tried to set up a Big 3 in Houston with Hakeem and Drexler. Then tried it with Hakeem and Pippen after Drexler. Riley tried to build one here in 1996 with Zo, Hardaway and Juwan Howard. That didn't work, so he then tried to add Jamal Mashburn to Zo and Tim. When that didn't work, he swapped Mashburn for Eddie Jones. That didn't work, so when he "lucked" into Wade he traded for Shaq and tried to surround them with other multi-All-Stars like Payton and Antoine Walker. Won a title with it. Several years later he pulled it off with Wade, LeBron and Bosh. Etc. I don't think Magic, Barkley and Riley were "soft as fu*k." I think they wanted to win.

this debate is so 2010
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
Flash4thewin
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1306 » by Flash4thewin » Fri May 27, 2016 1:37 am

RJM wrote:I got bored and wrote a piece on Dwight Howard.

Hint: It has to do with Dwight, KD, and a whole lot of speculation, pipe-dreaming, and sacrifice.

Interesting but no way Durant leaves his team for an older Wade and Dragic. Its a better sale than McRoberts and Granger but still not good. The other thing is how to resign Deng?
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1307 » by KingDavid » Fri May 27, 2016 3:24 am

dancing2thabeet wrote:When's PG13 a FA? Next offseason or the one after that?

Doesnt matter. After his mishap with that toosties stripper, he will never, ever play for the heat, lols.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#1308 » by gom » Fri May 27, 2016 3:58 am

KingDavid wrote:

Doesnt matter. After his mishap with that toosties stripper, he will never, ever play for the heat, lols.

Not cool. He and Ms. Rajic are raising their daughter together. He actually has roots here now.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZroyWQ2Jw[/youtube]

My guess is that Tootsie's is seen as an incentive in free agency. Scarlett's, thus, is worth a million off of Whiteside's deal. Right?
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#1309 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Fri May 27, 2016 4:55 am

We need an enforcer. Haslem's never going to part of the rotation anymore. We need someone to fill that role somewhat. Possible Enforcers that are unrestricted free agents I see are Zaza Pachulia, Jordan Hill, Ian Mahinmi and Nene.
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,498

Post#1310 » by Bishop45 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:59 am

Cmon_Son-_- wrote:We need an enforcer. Haslem's never going to part of the rotation anymore. We need someone to fill that role somewhat. Possible Enforcers that are unrestricted free agents I see are Zaza Pachulia, Jordan Hill, Ian Mahinmi and Nene.

Da' "Birdman, Birdman!!" still has a few plucks of feathers on his wings? 38 ain't so old! :oops:
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,734

Post#1311 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Fri May 27, 2016 5:04 am

Bishop45 wrote:
Cmon_Son-_- wrote:We need an enforcer. Haslem's never going to part of the rotation anymore. We need someone to fill that role somewhat. Possible Enforcers that are unrestricted free agents I see are Zaza Pachulia, Jordan Hill, Ian Mahinmi and Nene.

Da' "Birdman, Birdman!!" still has a few plucks of feathers on his wings? 38 ain't so old! :oops:

Birdman would've been huge this playoffs.
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
Chalm Down
RealGM
And1: 132,753

Post#1312 » by Chalm Down » Fri May 27, 2016 6:30 am

I want someone like Dragic or Bosh to be our enforcer, that would be amusing
Bishop45 wrote:"Let Iggie start the season brehs, was the wors that could happen"
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1313 » by HIF » Fri May 27, 2016 6:59 am

gom wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

Not cool. He and Ms. Rajic are raising their daughter together. He actually has roots here now.

My guess is that Tootsie's is seen as an incentive in free agency. Scarlett's, thus, is worth a million off of Whiteside's deal. Right?

I thought you were talking about Goran (the PG with no D). :D
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Myam333
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,909

Post#1314 » by Myam333 » Fri May 27, 2016 7:18 am

Chalm Down wrote:I want someone like Dragic or Bosh to be our enforcer, that would be amusing

Before even looking at your avatar, that's the gif that played in my head when I read your post.
3ballbomber
General Manager
And1: 10,030

Post#1315 » by 3ballbomber » Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 am

Nene off the bench would be very handy.
Championship teams experience adversities. We in that process. Started gm1. Remember this time. Remember this pain. Our time is coming...

Built the right way. Play the right way. Win the right way . .

Virtue, Ethics & Honor
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#1316 » by HIF » Fri May 27, 2016 11:34 am

3ballbomber wrote:

Nene off the bench would be very handy.

I think NéNé is less alive than UD.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
dancing2thabeet
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,681

Post#1317 » by dancing2thabeet » Fri May 27, 2016 11:56 am

Cmon_Son-_- wrote:
Bishop45 wrote:

Birdman would've been huge this playoffs.

We probably beat Raps with Birdman down low.
orphicwhip wrote:
goodboy wrote:Man I got the flu, still will watch my team play though.

McBob shares the same mentality.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#1318 » by heat4life » Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 am

So how are we paying all these players while keeping Hassan, Wade and possibly Deng as well? :lol:
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,859

Post#1319 » by KingDavid » Fri May 27, 2016 12:28 pm

gom wrote:
KingDavid wrote:

Oh c'mon gom. You know my jokes are in poor taste. Like this one; If by roots you mean, ball & chain, then yes. He's "rooted" down here...right at the wallet.

But seriously, I'm glad he stepped up to be a responsible father. I can't imagine the level of guilt Paul George experiences day to day. Oh well, he has her whole life to make amends.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1320 » by DayofMourning » Fri May 27, 2016 12:29 pm

heat4life wrote:So how are we paying all these players while keeping Hassan, Wade and possibly Deng as well? :lol:

So true. Managing the money you have is the most difficult part to building a contender. You can't pay everyone top dollar and expect to compete for championships. Right now we look to field the same core team as last year. Should we max them all out just to treadmill?

Return to Miami Heat