ImageImageImage

Official 2017 Draft Thread - Something Positive To Look Forward To

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,498

Re: Official 2017 Draft Thread - Something Positive To Look Forward To 

Post#1441 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 am

Ball is rich mans Kendall Marshall til' proven otherwise. Haven't seen any evidence of Harden-like shot creating ability, in fact probably not even a handful of guys in the league can get their own shot like Harden. Not a great finisher in the half court either, release too awkward to be great off the dribble, he has like Steph Curry ast% on his 3's without Steph's skillset. If his 3pt shot translates even. IMO, meh offensive player, average defensive player, fringe starter on most teams
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
King_Supreme
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Post#1442 » by King_Supreme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:51 am

I think Ball like Monk and to a lesser extent Fultz, would excel playing with a wing who can create for himself and others. That last video of Ball impressed me, but DSJ; Fultz, and JJ are better than Ball. That's not a knock on Ball, DSJ/Fultz/JJ are all elite athletes whom can create for themselves and others.
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#1443 » by CanesHeatFins » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:40 am

King_Supreme wrote:I think Ball like Monk and to a lesser extent Fultz, would excel playing with a wing who can create for himself and others. That last video of Ball impressed me, but DSJ; Fultz, and JJ are better than Ball. That's not a knock on Ball, DSJ/Fultz/JJ are all elite athletes whom can create for themselves and others.

There is like no way you guys can watch actual full games and come to the conclusion of JJ being better than Ball. JJ is a role player on his college team. Yall need to turn off the youtube highlights and watch some full games on your dvr.

There's a reason Pat has already been to two Lonzo Ball games and zero JJ games.
King_Supreme
Sixth Man

Post#1444 » by King_Supreme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:18 am

@CanesHeatFins
Just because a player is a role player in college, doesn't mean that's their role in the NBA. Self holds players back, Wiggins is a perfect example. While Cal has had players not fully showcase their skills in college(AD, Towns, Booker).
Prince Ali
Veteran
And1: 3,507

Post#1445 » by Prince Ali » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:24 am

CanesHeatFins wrote:
King_Supreme wrote:I think Ball like Monk and to a lesser extent Fultz, would excel playing with a wing who can create for himself and others. That last video of Ball impressed me, but DSJ; Fultz, and JJ are better than Ball. That's not a knock on Ball, DSJ/Fultz/JJ are all elite athletes whom can create for themselves and others.

There is like no way you guys can watch actual full games and come to the conclusion of JJ being better than Ball. JJ is a role player on his college team. Yall need to turn off the youtube highlights and watch some full games on your dvr.

There's a reason Pat has already been to two Lonzo Ball games and zero JJ games.

The whole team has a travel schedule set up for scouting, he's going to watch all the top guys play in person.
JWG324
Junior
And1: 504

Post#1446 » by JWG324 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 am

Bishop45 wrote:Ball is rich mans Kendall Marshall til' proven otherwise. Haven't seen any evidence of Harden-like shot creating ability, in fact probably not even a handful of guys in the league can get their own shot like Harden. Not a great finisher in the half court either, release too awkward to be great off the dribble, he has like Steph Curry ast% on his 3's without Steph's skillset. If his 3pt shot translates even. IMO, meh offensive player, average defensive player, fringe starter on most teams

QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 78,762

Post#1447 » by QUIZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 am

Bishop45 wrote:Ball is rich mans Kendall Marshall til' proven otherwise. Haven't seen any evidence of Harden-like shot creating ability, in fact probably not even a handful of guys in the league can get their own shot like Harden. Not a great finisher in the half court either, release too awkward to be great off the dribble, he has like Steph Curry ast% on his 3's without Steph's skillset. If his 3pt shot translates even. IMO, meh offensive player, average defensive player, fringe starter on most teams

Disagree, his impact on his team is undeniable. They sucked last season before Ball came to the rescue. He isn't better than Fultz but the boy is something special.
Don’t let us get one. — Nikola Jovic

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
Feel_the_Heat15
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,455

Post#1448 » by Feel_the_Heat15 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:19 am

CanesHeatFins wrote:

I don't know man, JJ did just score 6 points on 3-11 shooting. That screamS future HOF :roll: .
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#1449 » by CanesHeatFins » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:30 am

Freaking Brooklyn man. How can a team with zero benefits of tanking be this bad. We should just trade them Elington and Wille Reed to help up their win total.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 71,938

Post#1450 » by Wiltside » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:19 am

Hey guys, I've just written an article with some analysis on the Top 10 prospects in the 2017 NBA Draft. Thought you might like to read: https://thefourpointplayaus.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/2017-nba-draft-the-early-look/

Welcome any feedback! Cheers
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
Rich2Hassan
RealGM
And1: 5,800

Post#1451 » by Rich2Hassan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:22 am

CanesHeatFins wrote:Freaking Brooklyn man. How can a team with zero benefits of tanking be this bad. We should just trade them Elington and Wille Reed to help up their win total.

Yeah it's some funny stuff going on with that pick. I dont believe they are THAT bad.
Heat President of TANK operations.
Bishop45
RealGM
And1: 109,498

Post#1452 » by Bishop45 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 am

QUIZ wrote:

Disagree, his impact on his team is undeniable. They sucked last season before Ball came to the rescue. He isn't better than Fultz but the boy is something special.

He's not the only reason they're winning and that imo isn't a good enough reason to draft him top 3 in this draft. His game has serious red flags
Long Live Winnie. Mamba siempre

Rest in Power Chadwick

#PeaceinGaza #FreedomforPalestine
King_Supreme
Sixth Man

Post#1453 » by King_Supreme » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 am

Wiltside wrote:Hey guys, I've just written an article with some analysis on the Top 10 prospects in the 2017 NBA Draft. Thought you might like to read: https://thefourpointplayaus.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/2017-nba-draft-the-early-look/

I didn't read all of it, but your piece seems decently written, site design isn't bad as well.
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1454 » by QUIZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 am

Bishop45 wrote:
QUIZ wrote:

He's not the only reason they're winning and that imo isn't a good enough reason to draft him top 3 in this draft. His game has serious red flags

IDK Bish I feel it. I do see the ways in which it'd be a reach though. In a lot of ways it feels like a smartest man in the room pick.

You have the traditionalists who can't look past his flaws such as his average burst and lack of individual shot creation.

Then you have others who see his GOAT level IQ and feel for the game and think that it can transcend all that other stuff.

Pat is as old school as they come, if he watches the kid and comes away impressed I'm on board.

I really don't think we've seen anything yet. If Ball has a magical title run and leads UCLA all the way I think he goes top 3 guaranteed.

Dru Smith very lucky he got that 500k this year. He should invest and manage a subway after all this-MettaWorldPanda
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1455 » by QUIZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:29 am

Wiltside wrote:Hey guys, I've just written an article with some analysis on the Top 10 prospects in the 2017 NBA Draft. Thought you might like to read: https://thefourpointplayaus.wordpress.com/2017/01/16/2017-nba-draft-the-early-look/

Thanks for this, and also thanks for linking to the ringer article on Ball.

It was a good read as well: https://theringer.com/lonzo-ball-ucla-bruins-freshman-point-guard-280a7cdbc284#.nycxpbqls

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,989

Post#1456 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 pm

I enjoyed that.

You should spend your non-article writing time here, debating prospects with the rest of us.
Mos_Heat
RealGM
And1: 36,808

Post#1457 » by Mos_Heat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Read on Twitter
:reporter:
QUIZ
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#1458 » by QUIZ » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:30 pm

IDK what it is man but I just can't get myself excited about drafting anyone who isn't Ball. I see the merits of both Fultz and DSJ but there's just something special about Ball. I feel a new avi coming on...

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1459 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:37 pm

Feel_the_Heat15 wrote:I don't know man, JJ did just score 6 points on 3-11 shooting. That screamS future HOF :roll: .

I hear ya man. I took JJ off my draft board because of that performance.

I also took Ball off my board for his 4 of 11 against USD. Took Fultz off my board for his 3 of 15 against Cal. Took DSJ off for his 4 of 12 against Boston, among other games. Took Tatum off for his 3 of 11 against Louisville, among other games. Took Markkanen off due to his 4 of 14 against Gonzaga. Also took Monk off due to his 6 for 17 against Louisville.

I took a bunch of others off as well. If we end up with a top five pick, I'm going TJ Leaf. Hasn't had a poor shooting game yet. I don't see how any of the guys listed above are going to be able to lead a franchise if they're having off games against weak NCAA competition.

Spoiler:
Just giving you a hard time man. :tooth
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1460 » by DayofMourning » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

QUIZ wrote:IDK what it is man but I just can't get myself excited about drafting anyone who isn't Ball. I see the merits of both Fultz and DSJ but there's just something special about Ball. I feel a new avi coming on...

We could start a Ball pipeline. LeAngelo and LaMelo next. That cousin of theirs too.

Return to Miami Heat