ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,332

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#261 » by twix2500 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:42 pm

Ryan Dunn 6'8 220 lbs explosive soph forward
8.1 pts, 6.9 rbs, 2.3 blks, 1.3 stl

Dunn is an explosive athletic long smart defender and finisher on offense. Coached very well in Virginia. Not a good shooter but he has the mechanics to become a good spot up shooter. His IQ and athleticism would allow him to play right a way as a role player.

https://youtu.be/b4YNtOzwD_M?si=eEQf0j2lXIC3-KnM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,866

Post#262 » by greg4012 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Ryan Dunn is def a menace on defense
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#263 » by greg4012 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:58 pm

I know Tyler Kolek has bee mentioned on here, but I'm intrigued by his teammate--Kam Jones

Looks like a legit bucket getter that may have some upside as a lead ballhandler--promising in the pick n roll. Good body control and footwork. Strong shooter. Solid defender. Not a high flying athlete.

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kam-jones-1.html
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 77

Post#264 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:47 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:Does anyone know if we have our 2nd round pick this year? All the most current mock drafts I see say we do, but I keep hearing from other Heat fans that we don't.
https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/Heat/16/draft-picks
According to this, it says protected for selections 31-50 and 56-59 (ATL) or protected for selections 31-55 (NYK). We have 43, so that means its protected, right?

Yes. We r keeping our pick in the 2nd round.

Good, I thought I was going crazy for a sec. I think we could very well end up with a guard and big man outta this draft.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,422

Post#265 » by DayofMourning » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:44 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:Does anyone know if we have our 2nd round pick this year? All the most current mock drafts I see say we do, but I keep hearing from other Heat fans that we don't.
https://fanspo.com/nba/teams/Heat/16/draft-picks
According to this, it says protected for selections 31-50 and 56-59 (ATL) or protected for selections 31-55 (NYK). We have 43, so that means its protected, right?

Good, I thought I was going crazy for a sec. I think we could very well end up with a guard and big man outta this draft.

Who you drafting in each round lb?
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#266 » by lastb1ckman » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:32 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Who you drafting in each round lb?

In my perfect world, it would be Devin Carter at 15 and Adem Bona at 43. In my crazy 3D chess world, Edey at 15 and Kolek at 43. I know that 2nd one is controversial, but I think Edey has the makings of a good rotational big.
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#267 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:00 am

twix2500 wrote:Ryan Dunn 6'8 220 lbs explosive soph forward
8.1 pts, 6.9 rbs, 2.3 blks, 1.3 stl

Dunn is an explosive athletic long smart defender and finisher on offense. Coached very well in Virginia. Not a good shooter but he has the mechanics to become a good spot up shooter. His IQ and athleticism would allow him to play right a way as a role player.

https://youtu.be/b4YNtOzwD_M?si=eEQf0j2lXIC3-KnM

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

He's the best defender in the draft. Only problem is he might actually have no nba level offensive skill. Teams might have to have him play small ball c if they want to give him any play time.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,246

Post#268 » by Wiltside » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:23 am

I just don’t think Dunn works here. Defensively he’s a great fit at the 4, but his lack of spacing limits his upside tremendously. Is he Matisse Thybulle? Or Brandon Clarke?

If we keep the pick, take one of the guards that are likely to be available. McCain or Carter.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
twix2500
RealGM

Post#269 » by twix2500 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:00 am

Wiltside wrote:I just don’t think Dunn works here. Defensively he’s a great fit at the 4, but his lack of spacing limits his upside tremendously. Is he Matisse Thybulle? Or Brandon Clarke?

If we keep the pick, take one of the guards that are likely to be available. McCain or Carter.

A 6'8 Kelly Oubre and Caleb Martin
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#270 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:09 am

twix2500 wrote:
Wiltside wrote:I just don’t think Dunn works here. Defensively he’s a great fit at the 4, but his lack of spacing limits his upside tremendously. Is he Matisse Thybulle? Or Brandon Clarke?

I don't follow, are you saying Dunn is a 6'8 Kelly Oubre or Caleb Martin? Cause he ain't. The man literally can't shoot at the college level, let alone NBA.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#271 » by twix2500 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

I don't follow, are you saying Dunn is a 6'8 Kelly Oubre or Caleb Martin? Cause he ain't. The man literally can't shoot at the college level, let alone NBA.

Yes I am
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#272 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 am

twix2500 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Yes I am

How so? He shot the 3 at 20%, and shot FTs at 53.2%. Kelly Oubre came outta Kansas shooting 35.8% at higher volume, and 71.8% from the free throw line.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#273 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:42 am

greg4012 wrote:I know Tyler Kolek has bee mentioned on here, but I'm intrigued by his teammate--Kam Jones

Looks like a legit bucket getter that may have some upside as a lead ballhandler--promising in the pick n roll. Good body control and footwork. Strong shooter. Solid defender. Not a high flying athlete.

Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kam-jones-1.html

Apparently he’s returning to Marquette for his senior season. I wouldn’t be surprised if he shows a jump as a facilitator with Kolek gone.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#274 » by twix2500 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:06 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:

Yes I am

How so? He shot the 3 at 20%, and shot FTs at 53.2%. Kelly Oubre came outta Kansas shooting 35.8% at higher volume, and 71.8% from the free throw line.

Simple, I do not soley look at stats. I watched Dunn footwork and shooting mechanics and definitely see potential to be developed into a solid three point shooter equavalent to Oubre or Caleb. I had the opposite discussion here about Justise Winslow, I told people he had bad shooting mechanics and didnt see him being a good shooter in the NBA. Everyone pointed at his percentage in college 42% from three. Not saying he will develop a jay but he has the tools to do so. If a rookie is going to contribute on this team, fga attempts is not gonna be one of them as currently constructed. The Heat have 1 player to help Bam around the rim and thats Kevin Love. 3 point shooting is not the Heats problem its athletic size that will not get that ball swatted around the rim. The Heat spent a lot of time developing small players to shoot three like Highsmith, Martin and Cain, why is it suddenly not worth doing for a player as athletic and the size of Dunn?
twix2500
RealGM

Post#275 » by twix2500 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:21 am

twix2500 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
Yes I am

Simple, I do not soley look at stats. I watched Dunn footwork and shooting mechanics and definitely see potential to be developed into a solid three point shooter equavalent to Oubre or Caleb. I had the opposite discussion here about Justise Winslow, I told people he had bad shooting mechanics and didnt see him being a good shooter in the NBA. Everyone pointed at his percentage in college 42% from three. Not saying he will develop a jay but he has the tools to do so. If a rookie is going to contribute on this team, fga attempts is not gonna be one of them as currently constructed. The Heat have 1 player to help Bam around the rim and thats Kevin Love. 3 point shooting is not the Heats problem its athletic size that will not get that ball swatted around the rim. The Heat spent a lot of time developing small players to shoot three like Highsmith, Martin and Cain, why is it suddenly not worth doing for a player as athletic and the size of Dunn?

I am more intrigued in what player can do at a highlevel, moreso than what they are weak at. I see Dunn having the the potential to be an ELITE defender in the NBA, especially in Spo system. The Heat needs a defender who can cause Havoc especially with the aging Butler and likely Martin and Highsmith looking for a payday. Dunn has highlevel physical talent that cant be taught. You hear people say three level scorer, well Dunn is a three level defender. Think about this, if Dunn was an established shooter, he likely would be a top five pick in this draft.
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#276 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:41 am

twix2500 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:How so? He shot the 3 at 20%, and shot FTs at 53.2%. Kelly Oubre came outta Kansas shooting 35.8% at higher volume, and 71.8% from the free throw line.

I am more intrigued in what player can do at a highlevel, moreso than what they are weak at. I see Dunn having the the potential to be an ELITE defender in the NBA, especially in Spo system. The Heat needs a defender who can cause Havoc especially with the aging Butler and likely Martin and Highsmith looking for a payday. Dunn has highlevel physical talent that cant be taught. You hear people say three level scorer, well Dunn is a three level defender. Think about this, if Dunn was an established shooter, he likely would be a top five pick in this draft.

Oh yeah if he had a shot, he'd be top 5 easily. His defense is that good. I don't fault thinking he can develop into a 3 & D wing, that's his main path to having a long career. I just think guys like Martin, Cain, Highsmith, Oubre etc all had much more evidence at the college level of being good shooters at the NBA level. Nothing is impossible though, especially if his form looks good. If not he probably just becomes a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.
twix2500
RealGM

Post#277 » by twix2500 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Oh yeah if he had a shot, he'd be top 5 easily. His defense is that good. I don't fault thinking he can develop into a 3 & D wing, that's his main path to having a long career. I just think guys like Martin, Cain, Highsmith, Oubre etc all had much more evidence at the college level of being good shooters at the NBA level. Nothing is impossible though, especially if his form looks good. If not he probably just becomes a Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

MKG is not as physical talented as Dunn. At worse Dunn would be Jared Vanderbilt
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,838

Post#278 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:41 am

At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,422

Post#279 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:42 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.

I think it would help immensely, and take pressure off our shooters, to have someone to dump it into in the post for some high % attempts.

We have nobody on the roster with the size and reliability to convert buckets down low other than TRob, but his defense is so bad he doesnt get PT.
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#280 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:30 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:At some point, we need to stop with the defensive wings, we get them undrafted and polish them AKA, Haywood Highsmith. Lets go get a High scorer potential guy, high upside instead. Our ability to score is in shambles, were doing just fine on the defensive side.

Tidjane Salaun, Ja'Kobe Walter, Isaiah Collier, (Carlton) Bub Carrington seems to be some of the big boom or bust offensive players in our draft range. I personally like Bub Carrington the most.

Return to Miami Heat