ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,212

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#321 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 am

twix2500 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Filipowski and Kelel Ware are the only draftable bigs for the Heat.

I like both Filipowski and Ware. I am just so skeptic on how much Spo really gonna utilize a center, that it will actually be worth it. Next season you have to expect Jovic minutes to double, so you need another defensive big next to him when Bam goes to the bench. So as currently constructed I would rather have Ware.

I havent recognize a player with elite scoring talent yet in this draft except for Collier. I havent looked at everyone yet but so far all iv seen is complimentary role players in this draft.

I really want to like Collier and when i do see him play there is obvious talent upside at only 19. He can get to the basket at will and does have that Maxey game to him. Many thought Maxey couldn’t shoot either. Heat staff i believe have scouted USC plenty under the guise of looking at Bronny James but they probably got a good book on Collier too.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,438

Post#322 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:11 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Filipowski and Kelel Ware are the only draftable bigs for the Heat.

I like both Filipowski and Ware. I am just so skeptic on how much Spo really gonna utilize a center, that it will actually be worth it. Next season you have to expect Jovic minutes to double, so you need another defensive big next to him when Bam goes to the bench. So as currently constructed I would rather have Ware.

I havent recognize a player with elite scoring talent yet in this draft except for Collier. I havent looked at everyone yet but so far all iv seen is complimentary role players in this draft.

I really want to like Collier and when i do see him play there is obvious talent upside at only 19. He can get to the basket at will and does have that Maxey game to him. Many thought Maxey couldn’t shoot either. Heat staff i believe have scouted USC plenty under the guise of looking at Bronny James but they probably got a good book on Collier too.

If we see Collier start stroking it like Maxey was in them workouts, then we can talk because thats a level up.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 77

Post#323 » by lastb1ckman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:12 am

I totally get Filipowski's role on the Heat, stretch five that can do some ball handling like Kelly O.
Ware tho? Great tools on paper, I'm just squeamish about the Heat ever drafting someone with a history of motor issues. They usually don't. And if they end up on the team it usually doesn't end well.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#324 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:17 am

lastb1ckman wrote:

I totally get Filipowski's role on the Heat, stretch five that can do some ball handling like Kelly O.
Ware tho? Great tools on paper, I'm just squeamish about the Heat ever drafting someone with a history of motor issues. They usually don't. And if they end up on the team it usually doesn't end well.

Thats the 60% of the process that we fans dont get to really see. The psych stuff. The behind the scenes stuff. Suuuuper important.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,247

Post#325 » by Wiltside » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:35 am

I'm here for a Fili-keeper. KO was handy here tbh.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#326 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:37 am

Wiltside wrote:Does Bam's added 3 ball now make it possible for us to draft somebody like Edey? OIbviously we'd be relying on Bam taking another leap with that shot over the offseason and consistently taking 3-4 of them a night. It's possible, which I didn't think would be the case earlier this year.

You can get away with a 7'4" anchor if Bam is playing all around wrecking ball on defense and not having to lock down the paint. Yes, I suppose teams will just make us switch and try and get Edey in the PnR, but the bloke is huge.

Absolutely not. Bam’s 3 ball is way too inconsistent. He needs a 4 /5 who can shoot plain and simple. Crowder, Tucker, and KO have been the best running mates with Bam cause they were consistent with the 3 ball but also had weight to do dirty work down low and super switchable defensively. KO had the height. Haywood Highsmith is nowhere built like Tucker or Crowder to be considered there equals to be a consistent 4 next to Bam. Tucker and Crowder both 250 and 245 respectively. Highsmith weighs about 220 on a good day and his lowercore is no where near those two.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#327 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:39 am

Wiltside wrote:I'm here for a Fili-keeper. KO was handy here tbh.

I could see Cronin sniping us at 14 for Flip.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#328 » by Wiltside » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:42 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Maybe. I dunno, the Blazers are a mess. They probably need to just swing for the highest upside guy they can.

Is it possible that Jaquez develops into that 4 man you're talking about MWP? Jaquez is strong, particularly in the core and legs. He probably doesn't have the wingspan/length of an ideal guy we'd like there, but he is strong and likely to get stronger.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#329 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:43 am

DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

If we see Collier start stroking it like Maxey was in them workouts, then we can talk because thats a level up.

I see Collier as a 6’5 210 PG and think how perfect he would be rotating in and out with Rozier and Herro. Will be interesting to see how he does in workouts. The guards are going to be good that have a chance to be there at 15. Certainly way more star upside then the potential bigs.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#330 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:I see Collier as a 6’5 210 PG and think how perfect he would be rotating in and out with Rozier and Herro. Will be interesting to see how he does in workouts. The guards are going to be good that have a chance to be there at 15. Certainly way more star upside then the potential bigs.

Heres the plan. We draft 2 bigs this year. Tank so hard. Draft Dylan Harper or Ace Bailey in 25. Dynasty in the making baby.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#331 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:00 am

DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I see Collier as a 6’5 210 PG and think how perfect he would be rotating in and out with Rozier and Herro. Will be interesting to see how he does in workouts. The guards are going to be good that have a chance to be there at 15. Certainly way more star upside then the potential bigs.

Heres the plan. We draft 2 bigs this year. Tank so hard. Draft Dylan Harper or Ace Bailey in 25. Dynasty in the making baby.

Second round will have a few PF prospects to choose from. I think we are locked into pick 43 in the second.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#332 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:05 am

Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Maybe. I dunno, the Blazers are a mess. They probably need to just swing for the highest upside guy they can.

Is it possible that Jaquez develops into that 4 man you're talking about MWP? Jaquez is strong, particularly in the core and legs. He probably doesn't have the wingspan/length of an ideal guy we'd like there, but he is strong and likely to get stronger.

Nope. JJJ is not that guy. He’s a SF who can play some 4. His playing weight is at 225 and think it will take away from his slashing game if he adds 15-20 pounds to be that Tucker/Crowder small PF with width.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#333 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 am

PJ Hall is like a poor man’s Kevin Love that could be worth a look in the second round.
lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 77

Post#334 » by lastb1ckman » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:20 am

Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

To me Jovic is that 4 of the future. His 3 is money this season, he's got the length, he's got size, and his defense is getting better all the time. He's been starting for a reason.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#335 » by Wiltside » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:30 am

lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:I could see Cronin sniping us at 14 for Flip.

To me Jovic is that 4 of the future. His 3 is money this season, he's got the length, he's got size, and his defense is getting better all the time. He's been starting for a reason.

I agree with this. I think Niko is just scratching the surface of who he can become.

I actually really like the Jaquez/Jovic/Adebayo frontcourt. It compliments each other well.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#336 » by Wiltside » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:23 am

I wonder if Harrison Ingram is an option for us at #43 in the 2nd round.

21yr old Junior out of North Carolina. Good size at 6'7" and 233lbs with a 7'0" wingspan, so would play the 4 in our system. Looks like a Highsmith replacement if he gets a reasonable contract offer.

Averaged 12/8/2 and shot .385% from 3 on 1.8 makes per game. 1.4 steals too.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#337 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 am

Wiltside wrote:I wonder if Harrison Ingram is an option for us at #43 in the 2nd round.

21yr old Junior out of North Carolina. Good size at 6'7" and 233lbs with a 7'0" wingspan, so would play the 4 in our system. Looks like a Highsmith replacement if he gets a reasonable contract offer.

Averaged 12/8/2 and shot .385% from 3 on 1.8 makes per game. 1.4 steals too.

Way more skilled and bigger than Highsmith. Alex Karaban is also interesting as a Duncan replacement if he’s traded.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,332

Post#338 » by twix2500 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:09 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
twix2500 wrote:

Im interested in your take on Colliers elite scoring talent. He had a rough year compared to expectations.

His speed, controlled speed unlike Maxey, and his stregth is elite level. He can see and read the court very well and draw fouls. He has to talent to beat one-on-ones and draw fouls which is a must need if you want to be a star. Its the same thing I seen in Anthony Edwards, and he wasnt and still isnt a shooter. I havent watched him defensively and that is my one area of uknown for me about Collier.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,332

Post#339 » by twix2500 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 pm

I am going to watch Stephon Castle some more because many on here speak highly of his handles. I got totally turned off when I review his tapes that defenders were not respecting his offense at all. He played with so much space given to him.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#340 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:44 pm

Wiltside wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:
Wiltside wrote:

I agree with this. I think Niko is just scratching the surface of who he can become.

I actually really like the Jaquez/Jovic/Adebayo frontcourt. It compliments each other well.

Niko and JJJ are the reason why we probably shy away from drafting another SF or PF at 15. The value at combo guard is going to be there at 15. McCain, Carter, or Collier. One of them will be there. A developmental 4 or 5 will be there in the 2nd. Adem Bona projects as an ideal backup to Bam and was JJJ’s former team mate at UCLA. Bona also makes for a great fit with Jovic in the front court.

Return to Miami Heat