ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,157

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#181 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:36 am

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:If we dont come out of this draft with one legit big......i just cant dudes.

You can’t waste a pick on a big that has no shot at playing with Bam. You’re essentially wasting a pick on a 15 min a night player. Not really any good stretch 4’s in this draft worthy of being picked at 15-16. Tristan Da Silva maybe? The guards have a higher probability of turning into something more than rotation players. Da Silva could be a bigger Jaquez Jr

We cant concede a rebounding disadvantage every game. At some point we have to decide whether we want to have rim protection and rebounding as an advantage over having positionless basketball. If were gonna run with 20th picks every single draft, we better find some balance.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,881

Post#182 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 am

DayofMourning wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:If we dont come out of this draft with one legit big......i just cant dudes.

You can’t waste a pick on a big that has no shot at playing with Bam. You’re essentially wasting a pick on a 15 min a night player. Not really any good stretch 4’s in this draft worthy of being picked at 15-16. Tristan Da Silva maybe? The guards have a higher probability of turning into something more than rotation players. Da Silva could be a bigger Jaquez Jr

We cant concede a rebounding disadvantage every game. At some point we have to decide whether we want to have rim protection and rebounding as an advantage over having positionless basketball. If were gonna run with 20th picks every single draft, we better find some balance.

The problem is Bam is not really a 4. He’s a tweener Center that needs a PF who can stretch the floor but yet big enough or wide enough to do defensive dirty work and board. You can’t just put any big with him. The last big that was able to fit with him was Kelly Olynyk then you have the wide bodied 245-250 6’5 and 6’6 PF’s in Crowder and Tucker who both worked but both brought a nasty ruggedness that complimented Bam perfectly. Jovic can work but we still need that rugged compliment who can stretch the floor that can play with both Bam and Jovic. PJ Washington imo was that guy.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,291

Post#183 » by twix2500 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:32 am

lastb1ckman
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#184 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:54 pm

I think due to protections, we have our 2nd round pick this season. I personally would be fine with using it on a back up 5. I get tired of the drop off on defense when Bam is off the court, and Kevin Love can't keep this up forever. A guy like Adem Bona would be a good project center with a build and defensive versatility that reminds me of the Bams, Onyekas, and Time Lords of the world.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#185 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:55 pm

twix2500 wrote:

He's a pure 6'9 stretch 4. He won't be a star but he'll be a very productive rotation player in this league. Not sure we'll be going after him with the 15/16th pick with some of the talented guards that should still be on the board.
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#186 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:57 pm

I like Da SIlva too, but with Jaquez and Jovic already there and looking good playing with Bam and Herro, where does he fit in? As Caleb Martin Insurance?
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,467

Post#187 » by RexBoyWonder » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:08 pm

I know it's simplistic, and maybe somewhat unrealistic -

But just get me an athlete with scoring talent and upside FFS.

I'm tired of the safe picks, the defenders, the limited bodies, the ugly predictable offense.

Don't even care what position, just get THAT dude.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#188 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:26 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:I like Da SIlva too, but with Jaquez and Jovic already there and looking good playing with Bam and Herro, where does he fit in? As Caleb Martin Insurance?

Yeah this is what I'm thinking as well and why we will pass on Da Silva. The guards upside when we pick will be too good to pass up on. Carter, McCain, and Collier one of them will be there and will be great fits as PG's of the future for this team while also having outside shots at star quality if we hit right.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#189 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 pm

McCain is going to be a weapon in this league. His 3 point get off is pure. Looks like a bigger version of Trae Young if things fall right for him. Could be the perfect backup PG/SG here. The way the mocks are breaking out he's slated to fall right too us. He's 6'3 200 pounds and knows how to rebound well. Good size for a PG
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#190 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:02 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
lastb1ckman wrote:I like Da SIlva too, but with Jaquez and Jovic already there and looking good playing with Bam and Herro, where does he fit in? As Caleb Martin Insurance?

Yeah this is what I'm thinking as well and why we will pass on Da Silva. The guards upside when we pick will be too good to pass up on. Carter, McCain, and Collier one of them will be there and will be great fits as PG's of the future for this team while also having outside shots at star quality if we hit right.

Of the 3, I personally like Carter the most, but Collier has the most star upside. Problem is he gonna be a PROJECT. His shooting is really suspect, and his decision making in combination with lack of offball skills would probably keep him G league bound for a season or 2 .
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#191 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:07 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:

Of the 3, I personally like Carter the most, but Collier has the most star upside. Problem is he gonna be a PROJECT. His shooting is really suspect, and his decision making in combination with lack of offball skills would probably keep him G league bound for a season or 2 .

I think the Heat will have Carter and McCain above Collier. It also wouldn't shock me to see Collier sign with Klutch with the Bronny USC ties lol. Collier reminds me a lot of Eric Bledsoe. I like his downhill game but his shot is going to be very iffy on a nightly basis similar to a Scoot Henderson. Give me McCain's ready made 3 point game. Collier is going to get a lot of predraft hype that will probably squeeze him into the lottery. I personally also like Carter then McCain but will be happy with either of them.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#192 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:50 pm

Kyle Filipowski might be the one big that if he slips to us we might just actually take. He could definitely play the Kelly Olynyk role next to Bam. He moves well for a big and is a very capable shot blocker. Most importantly can pass and shoot. He's the big you draft cause you know without a doubt he can play with Bam and hold his own defensively.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/kyle-filipowski-scouting-report-defense#:~:text=Similar%20to%20his%20offensive%20fluidity,of%20pick%2Dand%2Drolls.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,831

Post#193 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:57 pm

I like Carter & McCain. Collier terrifies me. Can't shake the analysis put forth by DeanonDraft (he also was on point with regards to Scoot last draft when everyone was championing him as some sure thing) about Collier when he was getting #1 pick buzz earlier in the season:

https://deanondraft.substack.com/p/is-isaiah-collier-worthy-of-1-overall

Bottom Line

Collier’s distribution of traits can trip people up as he has one clear and significant strength of bulldozing. He has flaws, but every prospect has flaws, and sometimes flaws improve.

But the disconnect is that his flaws are uniquely heavy. He plays sloppy, out of control, and makes horribly inaccurate passes on top of having subpar 3 + D.

Ability to play in control is one of the most underrated qualities in a prospect— especially for a lead guard who is the team’s floor general. The GOAT of playing under control is Chris Paul, and this strength played a large role in him being best player in NBA history under 6’3.

There are a number of elements that go into controlling the game— body control, controlling the ball, having controlled footwork, knowing how to manipulate the defense, and making intelligent decisions. CP3 excels at all of these aspects, whereas Collier is a disaster across the board.

Collier is essentially inverse Point God when it comes to controlling the game. It is special how bad he is at it, and any NBA offense that relies on him to lead is probably going to hell.

This heavy, heavy flaw is married to his one strength of bulldozing, and as a subpar 3 + D guy he needs to have the ball to be useful. Which means that whoever drafts him needs to live and die (mostly the latter) with his horrible floor general skills, and it’s extremely difficult to see everything adding up to a positive player.

Collier might have one of the worst seasons in NBA history as a rookie, and could challenge Anthony Bennett for worst #1 pick of all time if he actually gets selected there.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#194 » by MettaWorldPanda » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm

https://www.si.com/college/duke/basketball/duke-basketball-jon-scheyer-attends-nba-practice

Look for Filipowski and McCain to be very high on our list when it comes time for us to pick. Very good chance one of them will be there. Obviously Devin Carter too who's the son of former Heat Anthony Carter.
lastb1ckman
Freshman

Post#195 » by lastb1ckman » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:23 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Kyle Filipowski might be the one big that if he slips to us we might just actually take. He could definitely play the Kelly Olynyk role next to Bam. He moves well for a big and is a very capable shot blocker. Most importantly can pass and shoot. He's the big you draft cause you know without a doubt he can play with Bam and hold his own defensively.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/kyle-filipowski-scouting-report-defense#:~:text=Similar%20to%20his%20offensive%20fluidity,of%20pick%2Dand%2Drolls.

Dang, he really is Kelly Olynyk 2.0. Both the positives and negatives that comes with that. Seems more switchable though, so thats good. Idk if hes gonna be an effective shot blocker at the nba level with his negative wingspan. But that came with the Kelly experience too lol.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#196 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:57 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:

McCain is going to be a weapon in this league. His 3 point get off is pure. Looks like a bigger version of Trae Young if things fall right for him. Could be the perfect backup PG/SG here. The way the mocks are breaking out he's slated to fall right too us. He's 6'3 200 pounds and knows how to rebound well. Good size for a PG

A handful of guys at guard interest me within our range. I think we can come out of this draft with a quality player, no problemo.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,065

Post#197 » by Wiltside » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:31 pm

I mentioned McCain a little earlier, likewise Knecht but he’s now shot ip draft boards. Seems like he goes in the lotto now unfortunately.

McCain fills a number of positional needs. Can play off and on ball, point of attack defense, and a high quality floor spacer. Also has that stout build at 6’3”, 200lbs that Spo would love to have boxing out bigs :lol:

I’d be happy with the choice.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#198 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:47 pm

I will be happy if we come out of this draft with Ware, Chomche, Daron, Tristan, McCain and Kolek.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 pm

I think McCain goes sooner than our pick btw.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by DayofMourning » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:01 pm

Collier and Proctor hurt themselves by a lot this year. 2nd rounders.

Return to Miami Heat