ImageImageImage

**NBA Draft Discussion 2024**

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,493

Re: **NBA Draft Discussion 2024** 

Post#441 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:52 pm

Going to be very interesting offseason here. Miami needs to stay competitive so I don't see them drafting a high upside prospect that's going to need too sit and learn. Team needs a ready now contributor like JJJ or a vets they can trust. Keep an eye on our dreaded cap situation and the possibility of looking for future trade flexibility by getting a 1st back in 2027. Wouldn't shock me to see a trade with the Nets who have cap space and no 1st round picks to try and nab the 15th pick for the right deal. They also have the 76ers top 1-8 protected 1st, pick swap rights with the Rockets, and Suns unprotected pick in 2027 that could be of value to the Heat. Would alleviate the Stepien rule stress of needing to go all out this this year in order to convey the pick preventing the Hornets from getting an unprotected in 2028 due to the Stepien rule. Players like DFS, Cameron Johnson, and Schroder could all be of interest to the Heat. Would also open back up some much needed pick trade flexibility in the future. Something to really ponder
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,629

Post#442 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:36 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Going to be very interesting offseason here. Miami needs to stay competitive so I don't see them drafting a high upside prospect that's going to need too sit and learn. Team needs a ready now contributor like JJJ or a vets they can trust. Keep an eye on our dreaded cap situation and the possibility of looking for future trade flexibility by getting a 1st back in 2027. Wouldn't shock me to see a trade with the Nets who have cap space and no 1st round picks to try and nab the 15th pick for the right deal. They also have the 76ers top 1-8 protected 1st, pick swap rights with the Rockets, and Suns unprotected pick in 2027 that could be of value to the Heat. Would alleviate the Stepien rule stress of needing to go all out this this year in order to convey the pick preventing the Hornets from getting an unprotected in 2028 due to the Stepien rule. Players like DFS, Cameron Johnson, and Schroder could all be of interest to the Heat. Would also open back up some much needed pick trade flexibility in the future. Something to really ponder

Totally disagree.

I think the championship window has closed. I don't see another "ready now player like JJJ" making a difference for next year.

If we keep picking low ciling guys we'll just end up as a conistent play-in team. That's not good.

It's time for a home run swing - if we hit it might re-open the window, or help accelerate the rebuild of the next Heat contender. If we swing and miss - it's not that big of a deal, because again - this team isn't a decent rotation player away from a championship.

Go for best talent and highest upside, time for some gutsy moves.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,022

Post#443 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:38 pm

The hope would be that we trade this pick for someone meaningful and you all wasted all this time in here discussing draft prospects lol
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,973

Post#444 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:40 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:The hope would be that we trade this pick for someone meaningful and you all wasted all this time in here discussing draft prospects lol

Its a weak draft, your picking somebody that has upside you can build in your program. Miami isn't trading this pick because nobody wants this pick, at 15 were getting a 500 dollar gift card for a night out at Prime 112 and cash considerations.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,023

Post#445 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:47 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:The hope would be that we trade this pick for someone meaningful and you all wasted all this time in here discussing draft prospects lol

Distraction from some of the disappointment of the Heat season while looking at potential avenues of improvement has its value. If it's a waste of time is up for interpretation. But, if so, everyone on this board is very guilty of doing so--just takes a lot of different forms.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore
And1: 148

Post#446 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:23 pm

Odds are, its MUCH more likely they're drafting someone with this first than trading for someone this season. How many times have we gone through this every offseason? Fans are like, trade for so and so, but the cost is too high, so they don't.

They'll draft someone in the mid to late first round. A lot of heat fans will hate it at first cause it isn't that one guy they saw B/R mock to them for 6 months straight. But then he'll suddenly turn into a rotation player within the next 2 seasons, other fanbases are like "How'd they do it again?!" And Heat fans will be chomping at the bit for the next 5 years to trade them for whatever overpaid, disgrunted star around the league that showed props to the Heat for 5 seconds (He's friends with Bam).
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#447 » by RexBoyWonder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

I have a dream,

A dream where we pick a guy whos NOT physically limited,
A guy that is A NATURAL AGRESSIVE SCORER,
a guy that CAN create easy offense,

That guy is Isaiah Collier, boom or bust - we better roll the dice

I can't stand to watch more defensive role players try really hard to score 80 points in an NBA game in 2024
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,493

Post#448 » by MettaWorldPanda » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:33 pm

RexBoyWonder wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Going to be very interesting offseason here. Miami needs to stay competitive so I don't see them drafting a high upside prospect that's going to need too sit and learn. Team needs a ready now contributor like JJJ or a vets they can trust. Keep an eye on our dreaded cap situation and the possibility of looking for future trade flexibility by getting a 1st back in 2027. Wouldn't shock me to see a trade with the Nets who have cap space and no 1st round picks to try and nab the 15th pick for the right deal. They also have the 76ers top 1-8 protected 1st, pick swap rights with the Rockets, and Suns unprotected pick in 2027 that could be of value to the Heat. Would alleviate the Stepien rule stress of needing to go all out this this year in order to convey the pick preventing the Hornets from getting an unprotected in 2028 due to the Stepien rule. Players like DFS, Cameron Johnson, and Schroder could all be of interest to the Heat. Would also open back up some much needed pick trade flexibility in the future. Something to really ponder

Totally disagree.

I think the championship window has closed. I don't see another "ready now player like JJJ" making a difference for next year.

If we keep picking low ciling guys we'll just end up as a conistent play-in team. That's not good.

It's time for a home run swing - if we hit it might re-open the window, or help accelerate the rebuild of the next Heat contender. If we swing and miss - it's not that big of a deal, because again - this team isn't a decent rotation player away from a championship.

Go for best talent and highest upside, time for some gutsy moves.

I don’t think the front office sees it like you do. There are going to try and build a team that stays competitive enough that conveys the 2025 pick to OKC. If not they risk giving up two unprotected future picks to OKC in 2026 and 2028 to the Hornets all while tying up our draft capital. They very well could easily trade this pick for a win now veteran if they can recoup a future pick in the process. Nets might be interested considering they have no pick this year and might see someone they like at 15 to continue building a young core while sending out some of there veterans. Maybe they try and take a gamble on Edey with the potential loss of Claxton via free agency.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#449 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:46 pm

Terrence Shannon Jr is my guy, a ready to go now player with size and speed.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 72,311

Post#450 » by Wiltside » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:50 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:Team: Providence

Position: PG/SG

Size: 6'3", 195 lbs

Wingspan: 6’9”

Age/Year: 22, Junior

Nationality: American

Pro Comparison: Derrick White

Devin Carter was quick to announce his decision to enter the draft after a breakout year showing significant offensive improvement, a needle-mover for one of the nation's top perimeter defenders.

He closed the year with another outstanding performance, putting up 27 points on 14 shots against Marquette.

Regardless of the scoring outbursts this year, he's going to earn NBA minutes and paychecks off versatility and intangibles. For a 6'3" guard, the 32 blocked shots and 8.7 rebounds per game are telling.

Unteachable defensive intensity, toughness and instincts separate Carter and fuel his identity, though he's entered the lottery conversation by developing into a dangerous shot-maker and crafty pick-and-roll ball-handler.

Plays tough defense. 3&D. Good size and wingspan. Rebounds.

If he’s anywhere near the pain in the ass that Derrick White is, he’s a keeper.

Plus they both can be receding hairline brothers. That flowing mane can’t fool me. I’ve seen your Dad.

He played and scored against some top notch defenses in the big east but some in here think he can't score but yet look at Terrence Shannon Jr who abuses the Colgate's of the world but goes 2 for 12 against Uconn in the Elite 8. The way some see Devin Carter is just type casting him because his old man was a Heat Jag.

AC was like, the very definition of a Heat Jag :laugh:

Dude was a 6’1” Highsmith with a busted ugly J.
Formerly BG44, MB30 and Wade County at BasketballForum.com
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,023

Post#451 » by greg4012 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:55 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:Terrence Shannon Jr is my guy, a ready to go now player with size and speed.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Wish he had a right hand
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#452 » by IceColdCubano » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 pm

Wiltside wrote:
MettaWorldPanda wrote:
Wiltside wrote:
Plays tough defense. 3&D. Good size and wingspan. Rebounds.

If he’s anywhere near the pain in the ass that Derrick White is, he’s a keeper.

Plus they both can be receding hairline brothers. That flowing mane can’t fool me. I’ve seen your Dad.

He played and scored against some top notch defenses in the big east but some in here think he can't score but yet look at Terrence Shannon Jr who abuses the Colgate's of the world but goes 2 for 12 against Uconn in the Elite 8. The way some see Devin Carter is just type casting him because his old man was a Heat Jag.

AC was like, the very definition of a Heat Jag :laugh:

Dude was a 6’1” Highsmith with a busted ugly J.

My concern here with small guard specifically this one, is he is already peaked as far what you can squeeze out of him, what you see is what you get. Miami needs something with a bit higher upside they can sell to another team in trade later, or simple stash on the bench and groom into taking a starting role down the line as a serviceable starter in a rookie contract. We can always get the undrafted guys, or vet minimum guys to do the hustle roles.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#453 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 pm

My biggest worry with Collier is that he relies so much on drawing fouls, but only shot like 67% from the line. That's terrible for a guard that already doesn't shoot 3s well. Along with the high turnover rate and mediocre wingspan, I see alot of red flags.
lastb1ckman
Sophomore

Post#454 » by lastb1ckman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 pm

I can handle a center shooting 67% FT, but my PG? That's one of the biggest signals of shooting potential. Only thing left is maybe looking at his volume of 3s taken and difficulty of shot. If he shoots poorly, but they're all off the dribble and or contested then that's different. If his uncontested 3s are good there's still hope.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#455 » by Wiltside » Wed May 1, 2024 12:31 am

Would love to be in a position to trade up for Nikola Topic.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,022

Post#456 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed May 1, 2024 12:34 am

Trade herro and 15 to get Sarr
#FreeBam
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#457 » by Wiltside » Wed May 1, 2024 12:38 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Trade herro and 15 to get Topic

Fixed. But I need something coming back.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,703

Post#458 » by DayofMourning » Wed May 1, 2024 3:01 am

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Trade herro and 15 to get Sarr

Sarr and Bam would be interesting. Our post defense would level up big time.

Whoever gets that first pick might do it, without 15 attached.
Wiltside
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#459 » by Wiltside » Wed May 1, 2024 5:14 am

Need to draft Topic and get Gogi in on the staff working with these Euro's.
RexBoyWonder
RealGM

Post#460 » by RexBoyWonder » Wed May 1, 2024 7:06 am

IceColdCubano wrote:Terrence Shannon Jr is my guy, a ready to go now player with size and speed.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He's going to be a very old rook, almost 24YO. that's my biggest concern. How much better can he get?

You can't deny the scoring talent and physical tools, that's the type of guy we need to target.

Return to Miami Heat