ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 6.0 -Everything's Gonna Be All Wright

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 80,254

Re: Miami Heat Regular Season Thread 6.0 -Everything's Gonna Be All Wright 

Post#1161 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Mitchell, Dame, and Trae have been mentioned but a dark horse is Fox, I’ll personally be praying on the Kings downfall tonight. Could also lead to Monk wanting to join and willingly play the 6th man role.

Dont care about Foxs agent, we’d be at the top of his list and you don’t miss out on elite talent like that over petty **** that happened a decade ago.

Stay tuned.

Fox and Bam coming back together would be interesting.

Hes paid for two more years. Cant imagine trading a bunch of assets for him as hes not a guy to dismantle a team to acquire.

I could see us drafting Devin Carter and keeping our eye on bigger fish.
Bmaster
Sophomore
And1: 246

Post#1162 » by Bmaster » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:35 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:Mitchell, Dame, and Trae have been mentioned but a dark horse is Fox, I’ll personally be praying on the Kings downfall tonight. Could also lead to Monk wanting to join and willingly play the 6th man role.

Dont care about Foxs agent, we’d be at the top of his list and you don’t miss out on elite talent like that over petty **** that happened a decade ago.

Stay tuned.

Fox and Bam coming back together would be interesting.

Hes paid for two more years. Cant imagine trading a bunch of assets for him as hes not a guy to dismantle a team to acquire.

I could see us drafting Devin Carter and keeping our eye on bigger fish.

Devin Carter is player I want the heat to draft.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1163 » by DayofMourning » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:51 pm

Bmaster wrote:
Devin Carter is player I want the heat to draft.

Hes got the connections. Hes got the two way game. Hes an easy choice.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1164 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 am

Was thinking how to flip Caleb Martin since we arent likely getting him back.

Would OKC be interested? They will likely have a good amount of space and we could get a pick in return?
ZoStrong
Junior
And1: 811

Post#1165 » by ZoStrong » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:36 am

DayofMourning wrote:Was thinking how to flip Caleb Martin since we arent likely getting him back.

Would OKC be interested? They will likely have a good amount of space and we could get a pick in return?

Isn't he a free agent after the season? Or a player option? Why would teams give up assets to sign a free agent?
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,777

Post#1166 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:16 pm

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1167 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:42 pm

ZoStrong wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:Was thinking how to flip Caleb Martin since we arent likely getting him back.

Isn't he a free agent after the season? Or a player option? Why would teams give up assets to sign a free agent?

I wonder about his option. If hes assured of a payday then we are out of luck. If theres hesitation then we might be able to get something in return.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 534

Post#1168 » by Lennyzinho » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:51 pm

ZoStrong wrote:

He has a player option for 7M. I think we can all agree he would instantly reject it after last years improvements and after the playoffs you're thinking "man what a steal" to have him at 7M one more year. But his play this year... I mean... is it really a slam dunk he rejects it? He's shown flashes but he's also had horrible performances.

He shot 33% from 3 in March and 27% in April. It's been ugly. And are teams gonna keep overpaying for heat role players just to watch them unravel? With salary cap rising i think he ofc still does opt out but wouldn't surprise me if he decides to run it back and try getting a bigger better deal the following year. Who's gonna give caleb a max strus type contract? I know it only takes one team but sheesh.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,026

Post#1169 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:
ZoStrong wrote:

He has a player option for 7M. I think we can all agree he would instantly reject it after last years improvements and after the playoffs you're thinking "man what a steal" to have him at 7M one more year. But his play this year... I mean... is it really a slam dunk he rejects it? He's shown flashes but he's also had horrible performances.

He shot 33% from 3 in March and 27% in April. It's been ugly. And are teams gonna keep overpaying for heat role players just to watch them unravel? With salary cap rising i think he ofc still does opt out but wouldn't surprise me if he decides to run it back and try getting a bigger better deal the following year. Who's gonna give caleb a max strus type contract? I know it only takes one team but sheesh.

With him going to be 29 next season, having his game depend a lot on his athletic ability, I'm not sure how many teams out there will be bidding on paying MLE money for more than 2 years. I'm starting to come around on the idea that Miami may be able to retain him for the MLE (~13 mil) or less for 1 more year than what someone else may offer him or by giving him another player's option on the last year. With his age this next contract may be his last good payday from the NBA so he needs to do what's best for him and an extra year on his contract may be exactly that, 2 years would put him at age 31 for his next contract, 3 years 32 so I don't know if there are 2 more decent sized contracts in his future.

I do hope Miami retains him, at his age he'd bring more stability to the rotation and be a nice crossover to the next younger core for Miami.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1170 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:16 pm

Read on Twitter
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1171 » by DayofMourning » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:28 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hes really come around. I have a lot of confidence in his 3 ball.
Lennyzinho
Junior
And1: 534

Post#1172 » by Lennyzinho » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:36 pm

AirP. wrote:
Lennyzinho wrote:
ZoStrong wrote:

With him going to be 29 next season, having his game depend a lot on his athletic ability, I'm not sure how many teams out there will be bidding on paying MLE money for more than 2 years. I'm starting to come around on the idea that Miami may be able to retain him for the MLE (~13 mil) or less for 1 more year than what someone else may offer him or by giving him another player's option on the last year. With his age this next contract may be his last good payday from the NBA so he needs to do what's best for him and an extra year on his contract may be exactly that, 2 years would put him at age 31 for his next contract, 3 years 32 so I don't know if there are 2 more decent sized contracts in his future.

I do hope Miami retains him, at his age he'd bring more stability to the rotation and be a nice crossover to the next younger core for Miami.

There's no shot we become a 2nd apron team just so we keep Caleb Martin, when we have JJJ jimmy and haywood; not to mention Jamal Cain and possibly another rookie...
Haywood a RFA. Give him 3-15M to be our next caleb (lower ceiling but more dependable 3&D) and Cain will be the next haywood developmental type project.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1173 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:22 pm

Lennyzinho wrote:
AirP. wrote:
Lennyzinho wrote:

There's no shot we become a 2nd apron team just so we keep Caleb Martin, when we have JJJ jimmy and haywood; not to mention Jamal Cain and possibly another rookie...
Haywood a RFA. Give him 3-15M to be our next caleb (lower ceiling but more dependable 3&D) and Cain will be the next haywood developmental type project.

Right! Which is why I expect some salary going bye bye which is also in my opinion why Miami sent a 1st to acquire Rozier as a volume shooter that costs around 25 million per for the next 2 years although playoff performances this year could alter that future.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,680

Post#1174 » by Sign5 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:35 pm

Jovic is the future, haven't been this confident in young player's abilities since Wade himself. He's 20 and casually looked like best or at least most offensively impactful player several times over the last multiple weeks.

He can hit the three, he can drive and actually draw fouls or finish, he knows when to cut, he can push the ball up the floor AND finish coast to coast. He can pass/ facilitate and pretty much run the whole lineup. What's most impressive is his defense, he's no longer a net negative on that end as he's at worst an average defender at this point. Most importantly he doesn't shrink in the clutch and keeps an even keel through out.

He's just the definition of an all around impactful player. Exactly like Bam said. He's his own Lebron, Wade, Jimmy, Bam that them simply being on the floor will impact winning in various ways.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,919

Post#1175 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm

Omg hell no to signing Haywood to a longterm. And in no way is he anywhere near the athletic ability of a Caleb Martin. I beg someone to give Haywood more than the minimum.
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 144,919

Post#1176 » by MettaWorldPanda » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:57 pm

Caleb will also go the way of Vincent and Strus. Our cap situation says he’s a goner. Maybe we can get a S&T 2nd rd pick like we did with Strus. Caleb is getting a MLE deal
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,421

Post#1177 » by insfo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:00 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Caleb will also go the way of Vincent and Strus. Our cap situation says he’s a goner. Maybe we can get a S&T 2nd rd pick like we did with Strus. Caleb is getting a MLE deal

Maybe we can spam videos of all the trademark toe-on-the-line 2 pointers and bring his value down a bit :lol:
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1178 » by AirP. » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:02 pm

Sign5 wrote:Jovic is the future, haven't been this confident in young player's abilities since Wade himself. He's 20 and casually looked like best or at least most offensively impactful player several times over the last multiple weeks.

He can hit the three, he can drive and actually draw fouls or finish, he knows when to cut, he can push the ball up the floor AND finish coast to coast. He can pass/ facilitate and pretty much run the whole lineup. What's most impressive is his defense, he's no longer a net negative on that end as he's at worst an average defender at this point. Most importantly he doesn't shrink in the clutch and keeps an even keel through out.

He's just the definition of an all around impactful player. Exactly like Bam said. He's his own Lebron, Wade, Jimmy, Bam that them simply being on the floor will impact winning in various ways.

This doesn't equate to star. Throughout the years there's been lots of players like this, a few examples through the years would be Toni Kukoc, Hedo Türkoğlu and even more recently Nikola (Threekola) Mirotic who Butler played with and came in 2nd for ROTY. All very good players but not the special player Miami needs to eventually replace Butler with (Chicago screwed him up trying to get him to play center... kind of like Miami wanted to do with Jovic). Now if you were able to give Jovic Herro's mindset maybe but I don't see that in him, I see a good 3rd/4th option and of course, things can change but I wouldn't bet on him being an all-star. I do expect he'll be a very good long-term starter in the NBA.

I see a lot of Mirotic (who Butler played with) in Jovic, hopefully Miami won't push him to put on weight to play center like Chicago did Mirotic... it might be the reason why Butler has said publicly that Jovic is not a center since he saw how it changed Mirotic's game.

Read on Twitter
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#1179 » by IceColdCubano » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:08 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:Omg hell no to signing Haywood to a longterm. And in no way is he anywhere near the athletic ability of a Caleb Martin. I beg someone to give Haywood more than the minimum.

There's only so much we can do with our cap space, our FO put us in this position. So unfortunately our undrafted scrap heap somehow out-produce themselves out of our budget, and we can only afford the next scrap heap waiting in tow. Its Why Miami already has 4-5 wings in the Sky force that are 3&D's, small forwards tweeners waiting for, plus sharp shooters who are bad on defense getting polished to take on those prominent roles in the near future. Spo' loves his undrafted Swiss army knife 6'-5" forwards that hustle, Miami grabs them dudes in the parking lot leaving their local sports bar watching the NBA draft knowing their name will never be called, but Miami has recruiters laying in wait, in those sports bar parking lots for the unsuspecting undrafted drunkie to sign their life away at Skyforce for a mear chance at one day in the not so long future, be bad of something special, get that NBA contract on another team when their initial one ends and they are way too costly for Miami to continue to employ.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,526

Post#1180 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:57 pm

Cheap defensive stoppers that can hit the open 3 are very valuable, keep Haywood. Yall are FADED
#FreeBam

Return to Miami Heat