ImageImageImage

Battle of the Eastern Bottom seeders - Heat @ 76rs - Wed, April 17th @7:00PM EST

Moderators: KingDavid, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life

AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,087

Re: Battle of the Eastern Bottom seeders - Heat @ 76rs - Wed, April 17th @7:00PM EST 

Post#1021 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Barry’s FED UP

To be fair, if Dragic and Bam didn't get hurt, Miami probably wins the championship that first Butler year, so it's more than just the last 3 years, it's 4 out of the last 5. Getting young stars (basically not older stars) is VERY HARD to do and usually takes a bunch of losing seasons to just get a shot at drafting or getting the assets to acquire one, Miami continues to try to win each year and hope they catch a break. I think Miami does it the right way not tanking but when you have a chance to get a high level player, don't just pass them up because they aren't the possible best player you "might" be able to get because you usually don't get those players. LeBron signing in Miami is an exception, not the rule.
Umbooki
RealGM
And1: 29,811

Re: Battle of the Eastern Bottom seeders - Heat @ 76rs - Wed, April 17th @7:00PM EST 

Post#1022 » by Umbooki » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:12 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sounds like Jimmys Agent is fcking pissed, about his injury without an actual doctor concluding.

We should beat Woj and Shams with hammers. :reporter:
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 35,785

Post#1023 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

#FreeBam

Get him to fans who understand basketball and a coach that won’t have him deferring to much worse players like Herro

This tweet is just very telling to me. Why every time we play Embiid Spo wants to pull this defense only BS is beyond me. We should’ve been scheming to put as much pressure on Embiid as possible and baiting him into foul trouble. Bams role changes every fuxking game depending on who is in and out of the lineup or if we’re playing a big that Spo wants Bam completely locked in on defense only.

Get Mitchell this summer and make the offense him and Bam at the top, 20 shots for Mitchell 16-18 for Bam and let Jimmy coast all year and lock in for the playoffs and pray he doesn’t get hurt at the start 3 seasons in a row and we can win it all.
#FreeBam
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,869

Post#1024 » by IceColdCubano » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

fishfuego. wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
AirP. wrote:Well, that's odd, because NBA.com says that 15 of Herro's shots were with tight or better defense. Also, only 7 of his 27 shots had 7 or less seconds left on the shot clock where there was time to still look for a better shot. It's like we watch different games.
https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1629639/shots-dash?LastNGames=1&SeasonType=PlayIn

Wasting your breath like I waste mine, Herro stans are the excuse patrol of the century for this team. I will be happy once he is off this team.

Key word, “ once off this team”, but he is on the team full of misfits and mental midgets, that honestly, can’t perform when called upon crucial situations. The hating machine is really directed at one scapegoat, when it should be directed at an entire squad full of limited bodies not built for the highest of moments.

Listen nobody is free off blame for last night, from coaching staff to down to the last guy on the bench. They should all feel ashamed of the end result, and clearly all deserve some sort of negative words from fandom. Every single one of them, however the thing here is this, its like a pie chart. Jimmy eats a percent of the pie chart, Bam eats a percent of the pie chart, Herro eats a percent of the pie chart, etc you get the drift. Which means the weight in scale is based on how much you earn dollar wise vs the other guys on that pie chart. With Terry Rozier, Duncan Robinson, and Jimmy hurt those are some big chunks of the pie chart off the table for one to really harp about this single game. You have Bam and Herro left on this pie chart vs the remaining players and Herro happens to be in control of the ball twice or three times as much than Bam had this game. The focus of everyone's pain at the moment who will it be directed to? and based on that analysis is it fair that the fandom direct it to the guy whose eating the big piece of the pie chart, whilst taking all the offensive responsibility on his shoulders? The reason the responsibility was mostly put on his shoulders, with those expectations was because of how the pie chart dilemma and the teams hierarchy expectation.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1025 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:15 pm

AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Barry’s FED UP

To be fair, if Dragic and Bam didn't get hurt, Miami probably wins the championship that first Butler year, so it's more than just the last 3 years, it's 4 out of the last 5. Getting young stars (basically not older stars) is VERY HARD to do and usually takes a bunch of losing seasons to just get a shot at drafting or getting the assets to acquire one, Miami continues to try to win each year and hope they catch a break. I think Miami does it the right way not tanking but when you have a chance to get a high level player, don't just pass them up because they aren't the possible best player you "might" be able to get because you usually don't get those players. LeBron signing in Miami is an exception, not the rule.

Very true. Felt bad for Dragic, remember seeing him in tears on the bench after he realized he couldn’t play after his pregame warm ups.

Dragic >>>> Lowry forever
#FreeBam
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#1026 » by Vertical Limit » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:16 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

:lol:

Idk what that person is talking about.. everyone here told me Herro is the next magic johnson after his rookie season
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1027 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm

Read on Twitter

At this point nothing else matters, this is the one. Even moreso than Dame last year, he’s always made the most sense, time to make right on what went down 2 offseasons ago
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1028 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Idk what that person is talking about.. everyone here told me Herro is the next magic johnson after his rookie season

He’s Devin Booker but better bro!!
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1029 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 pm

Umbooki wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sounds like Jimmys Agent is fcking pissed, about his injury without an actual doctor concluding.

We should beat Woj and Shams with hammers. :reporter:

Would it surprise you if the FO leaked out they were putting Butler on ice for the next few weeks to prepare Butler and his agent being told Butler wouldn't be playing in the next game to lighten the blow when they tell them?

No matter how little the odds are, if the goal is a championship, which is a better overall chance at Miami winning a championship this year?
1. Sitting Butler a few weeks to heal up (if it's not too bad) and having a more healthy Butler sometime later in the 1st round (if they get there). Say having to beat Boston 4 out of 5 games with Butler vs winning 4 out of 7 with a hobbled Butler.
or
2. Playing a hurt Butler, getting a lesser version of him on the court, possibly prolonging the pain/injury and also having him overcompensate and get more injured so if Miami gets the 8th seed they may not have Butler at some point for the rest of the playoffs.

It's 2 bad paths but one is far better than the other for a small chance at doing something good in the playoffs. The FO is possibly just looking at the better option if they still want to try to win a championship this year. Sometimes you have to pick the better of 2 bad options.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1030 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Facts.
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#1031 » by AirP. » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

Philly started 2 guys last night that were or could have both been Miami Heat players this season, Lowry was, and Oubre (who injured Butler) was rumored ready to sign with Miami if Miami depleted their roster to acquire Lillard. I get Portland didn't want to trade Lillard to Miami, but the FO could have overwhelmed them by acquiring and sending more firsts, like 4-5 1sts (trading Herro for 1-2, possibly trading another player for one) and then leaking the offer to the press to have the fans pressure the organization to make the trade.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,902

Post#1032 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

fishfuego. wrote:Spo seems to have a bad case of Jovicphobia. I mean the short leash Jovic is under for a first rounder 6’11” ( 6’10” plus) skilled player is painful to watch. First year JJJ, who is not, and I’ll repeat, who’s not more talented nor skilled than Jovic gets a full blown green light full of crucial mistakes, game after game.
Could it be a regional marketing decision?
I don’t know, what else can it be?
Jovic has the height, he is a second year 1st round pick, has the better all around skill, can expand the floor, can play inside, can rebound inside, can alter shots even from bigs.

Just look at JJJ’s crucial mistakes last night, but he was kept even through an avalanche of those.

This coach is running a ‘Culture’ as labeled alright, his very own super flawed approach, as if he has a personal complex of not being tall and limited himself.

THis take confuses me. Everyone knew Jovic was a raw prospect coming out. That's the only reason Miami was able to draft him.

He's 20 years old and has made great progress playing winning ball this season. From my vantage point, this season is a great success for Jovic and his development and it's obvious that there is a lot for him to build on for years to come.

He's a 6'11 forward with a versatile skillset.

Could he have put up some funner statlines if Spo just let him loose and catered the team's approach to play to Jovic's natural playing style? Sure.

Would that have been the approach to make him a winning player and help the team compete? I don't think so. I bet his advanced metrics in terms of contributing to winning this season would have been MUCH worse.

I'm fully confident that Jovic will grow into more of an on-ball role creating offense in the seasons to come. But, if he is just doing that and not proving capable of banging with bigs, playing smart team defense, screening and rebounding, then what advantage is being gained?

If we can develop the version of Jovic that (1) gives us size advantage in the frontcourt, (2) gives us another big to defend the slower big men in the NBA and allow Bam to be maximized defensively, (3) gives us another versatile screener that can double as an on-ball creator, (3) is a reliable spot-up shooter AND (4) can also build off of his natural game as a ballhandler pushing pace and creating some of his own offense then that is a FAR superior player to the version that isn't doing items (1) through (3).

Opting not to give the keys to the offense for Jovic to essentially play PG is NOT why Miami is in this position right now.

More good things to come.
fishfuego.
General Manager
And1: 8,595

Post#1033 » by fishfuego. » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:42 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
fishfuego. wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
Wasting your breath like I waste mine, Herro stans are the excuse patrol of the century for this team. I will be happy once he is off this team.

Key word, “ once off this team”, but he is on the team full of misfits and mental midgets, that honestly, can’t perform when called upon crucial situations. The hating machine is really directed at one scapegoat, when it should be directed at an entire squad full of limited bodies not built for the highest of moments.

Listen nobody is free off blame for last night, from coaching staff to down to the last guy on the bench. They should all feel ashamed of the end result, and clearly all deserve some sort of negative words from fandom. Every single one of them, however the thing here is this, it’s like a pie chart. Jimmy eats a percent of the pie chart, Bam eats a percent of the pie chart, Herro eats a percent of the pie chart, etc you get the drift. Which means the weight in scale is based on how much you earn dollar wise vs the other guys on that pie chart. With Terry Rozier, Duncan Robinson, and Jimmy hurt those are some big chunks of the pie chart off the table for one to really harp about this single game. You have Bam and Herro left on this pie chart vs the remaining players and Herro happens to be in control of the ball twice or three times as much than Bam had this game. The focus of everyone's pain at the moment who will it be directed to? and based on that analysis is it fair that the fandom direct it to the guy whose eating the big piece of the pie chart, whilst taking all the offensive responsibility on his shoulders? The reason the responsibility was mostly put on his shoulders, with those expectations was because of how the pie chart dilemma and the teams hierarchy expectation.

The real issue with this team is that not one perimeter player aside from Butler and Herro can be called upon to produce its own shot, so Herro has given such assignments by necessity when he is also very stricky and not a PG, even when he was having a clear off night. I mean who else, Highsmith, Caleb, JJJ, Wight?
None of those players can perform on their own, as proven time after time, maybe a player such as Jovic should’ve been given the opportunity early on in the season to gain a level of development, but for some odd reason he wasn’t.

As I have mentioned before, Herro is a good role player playing the role of a star, but it is by necessity induced by a very flawed system and especially a very flawed squad.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1034 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:47 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Facts.

We can and should critique Bam's offensive output last night. He needs to look to the basket more and win matchups when he has a mismatch.

But, we also have to recognize that he is arguably the best Joel Embiid defender in the world--and Embiid is the foundation of everything for Philly. Embiid shot 35% last night while scoring 23 points (9 off free throws) to go with 5 assists and 3 turnovers.
fishfuego.
General Manager
And1: 8,595

Post#1035 » by fishfuego. » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm

greg4012 wrote:
fishfuego. wrote:Spo seems to have a bad case of Jovicphobia. I mean the short leash Jovic is under for a first rounder 6’11” ( 6’10” plus) skilled player is painful to watch. First year JJJ, who is not, and I’ll repeat, who’s not more talented nor skilled than Jovic gets a full blown green light full of crucial mistakes, game after game.
Jovic has the height, he is a second year 1st round pick, has the better all around skill, can expand the floor, can play inside, can rebound inside, can alter shots even from bigs.

Just look at JJJ’s crucial mistakes last night, but he was kept even through an avalanche of those.

This coach is running a ‘Culture’ as labeled alright, his very own super flawed approach, as if he has a personal complex of not being tall and limited himself.

THis take confuses me. Everyone knew Jovic was a raw prospect coming out. That's the only reason Miami was able to draft him.

He's 20 years old and has made great progress playing winning ball this season. From my vantage point, this season is a great success for Jovic and his development and it's obvious that there is a lot for him to build on for years to come.

Could he have put up some funner statlines if Spo just let him loose and catered the team's approach to play to Jovic's natural playing style? Sure.

Would that have been the approach to make him a winning player and help the team compete? I don't think so. I bet his advanced metrics in terms of contributing to winning this season would have been MUCH worse.

I'm fully confident that Jovic will grow into more of an on-ball role creating offense in the seasons to come. But, if he is just doing that and not proving capable of banging with bigs, playing smart team defense, screening and rebounding, then what advantage is being gained?

If we can develop the version of Jovic that (1) gives us size advantage in the frontcourt, (2) gives us another big to defend the slower big men in the NBA and allow Bam to be maximized defensively, (3) gives us another versatile screener that can double as an on-ball creator, (3) is a reliable spot-up shooter AND (4) can also build off of his natural game as a ballhandler pushing pace and creating some of his own offense then that is a FAR superior player to the version that isn't doing items (1) through (3).

Opting not to give the keys to the offense for Jovic to essentially play PG is NOT why Miami is in this position right now.

I can understand your point, but it doesn’t apply imo to the reality exposed here.
Other players with much less skill sets are getting the playing time, even after mistakes.
My issue here is uneven treatment in developing chances.
6’11” has to account for something in basketball, and last night in a very close game, the likes of Caleb, Highsmith and JJJ gave a crucial putback while Bam was covering the 3 point line, all 3 players standing under the rim while inches away from getting that crucial rebound, but were out rebounded by a mere half inch. Take a look at the replay, and I’m looking at Jovic buried on the bench.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,207

Post#1036 » by dolphinatik » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:54 pm

every year we are down someone. Its all good. JJJ will step up in Jimmys place, we have been prepping for this all year. Heat will find a way next game.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Rapaz
RealGM
And1: 39,660

Post#1037 » by Rapaz » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 pm

Vertical Limit wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

It has been well documented that his Johnson is anything but magical.
ImageImageImage
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1038 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:14 pm

greg4012 wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Read on Twitter

Facts.

We can and should critique Bam's offensive output last night. He needs to look to the basket more and win matchups when he has a mismatch.

But, we also have to recognize that he is arguably the best Joel Embiid defender in the world--and Embiid is the foundation of everything for Philly. Embiid shot 35% last night while scoring 23 points (9 off free throws) to go with 5 assists and 3 turnovers.

We needed to run more sets for him, anything to get some kind of rhythm going. There were no clear outs and dump offs to the post or anything like that and Herro and Bam pick and rolls mainly just resulted in Herro pull ups (a lot of open looks there). One day it’s “we need 25 Bam” then the next it’s “just focus on stopping Embiid and we’ll handle the offense”. Even the touches were very low. Obviously if not for foul trouble on Embiid flops maybe he is involved more and scores close to 20 but I guess we’ll never know.

I do think he should’ve just said fuxk it and got selfish, he cooked Embiid on a couple plays but there was no urgency to get him the ball. This is every time we play Philly with Embiid, we’re just so wrapped into Bams focus as stopping Embiid. Bams so much of a do it all guy that it’s skewed the way we use him.

I need a season where he’s an offensive focal point as a scorer with a competent running mate who can get him the ball in great spots and isn’t going to miss 30+ games like Herro and Jimmy. Let’s see what he can do with it all on his shoulders and a Donovan Mitchell next to him.
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#1039 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:17 pm

So we get a lottery pick if we lose Friday or we’re locked in at 15? I guess I’d still rather win Friday and see what Herro can do in the first round against the Celtics but we’re just going to get swept and clowned so what’s the point. Would be good to get Jaime and Jovic some reps too. COULD increase value of some guys but could also plummet it, we need Herro to raise his value somehow
#FreeBam
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#1040 » by greg4012 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm

fishfuego. wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

I can understand your point, but it doesn’t apply imo to the reality exposed here.
Other players with much less skill sets are getting the playing time, even after mistakes.
My issue here is uneven treatment in developing chances.
6’11” has to account for something in basketball, and last night in a very close game, the likes of Caleb, Highsmith and JJJ gave a crucial putback while Bam was covering the 3 point line, all 3 players standing under the rim while inches away from getting that crucial rebound, but were out rebounded by a mere half inch. Take a look at the replay, and I’m looking at Jovic buried on the bench.

Something so anecdotal doesn't seem worth wasting time speculating about.

It's well known that a side effect of playing zone is the propensity to allow the opponent more offensive rebounds since there's less bodies on bodies to box out and set position for rebounding.

I do think we may have leaned a little too heavily on the zone last night. But, maybe against Philly it was the right approach:

Read on Twitter

Return to Miami Heat