ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, MettaWorldPanda, heat4life, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

Noodle Arm
Rookie
And1: 1,072

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#181 » by Noodle Arm » Thu May 2, 2024 6:43 pm

powerball1373 wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=rv05ze1KDrOvRX51VQ2elA

Who the fook is this? Is it already random Heat Twitter insider dork nobodies szn?

Danny Martinez used to work for the Heat, think he used to help handle the PR/Social media side. Met him back in '15 at the Heat draft party (the Winslow draft... :-? )
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,165

Post#182 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 6:45 pm

MettaWorldPanda wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I like our chances for Mitchell I really do, a lot of things working good with us on that front imo.

Cavs will want as many picks as possible to recoup what they gave Utah. BK and the Knicks clearly have upper hand. Mitchell is a NY guy. His dad works with the Mets. Mitchell also good friends with Bridges. Lots of things to overcome if you're just leaning on Mitchell and Bam relationship.

Cavs aren’t getting a ton of picks for him, Brooklyn is mediocre, and Knicks are a horrible fit with Brunson. We better be all in here, I don’t want to see we missed out because we didn’t want to include either of our young guys.

It’s deeper than him and Bam being best friends, Wade is his idol and Wade has been in his ear for years. We’ll see what happens
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#183 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 6:46 pm

AirP. wrote:
3ammy3uck3ts wrote:I like our chances for Mitchell I really do, a lot of things working good with us on that front imo.

Why not the Lakers?
2-3 1st(includes a draft and trade this year's pick), A.Reaves which is a great value contract, Jalen Hood-Schifino (last year's 1st round pick) and Rui Hachimura as filler. This gives Cleveland a lot of very moveable assets to go with another big trade they're heading towards because Cleveland is going to have to decide between Allen and Mobley since both bigs don't really shoot 3s.

I doubt he wants to go there but who knows
#FreeBam
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,530

Post#184 » by twix2500 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:49 pm

I want Butler to retire as a Heat. But this trend of players trying to be a lead player at 35 and older is fools gold. Look at the Clippers you are lucky to get a healthy season. The wear and tear on the body doesnt slow down. Keeping in shape and healthy helps you fight throught the wear and tear better but it doesnt prevent it.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,228

Post#185 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 6:54 pm

twix2500 wrote:
Flash4thewin wrote:
AirP. wrote:Why not the Lakers?
2-3 1st(includes a draft and trade this year's pick), A.Reaves which is a great value contract, Jalen Hood-Schifino (last year's 1st round pick) and Rui Hachimura as filler. This gives Cleveland a lot of very moveable assets to go with another big trade they're heading towards because Cleveland is going to have to decide between Allen and Mobley since both bigs don't really shoot 3s.

The Lakers are a good sleeper to get Mitchell. Reaves is everything our front office wished Herro was and at half the contract. Reaves is a very valuable player, great offensively, can actually get free throws etc and didnt get destroyed in the playoffs.

I thought the lakers dont have picks to move or do they?

New Orleans can take either LA's 24 or 25 1st round pick, if they pick the 25 pick LA can draft and trade the player's rights of this year's 1st round pick, they can't trade it beforehand since they wouldn't have a pick next year. If New Orleans takes this year's pick, then LA can trade next year's 1st. since they have their own 2026.

They can also trade their 2029 and 2031 pick too, or just the 2030 pick which would stop them from being able to trade the 2029 or 2031 picks.

If you remember, they had 2 picks and only traded one and in time another one became available, and you can always draft and trade a player's rights with no worry about the Stephien Rule.
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,993

Post#186 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Not a fan of Dan Lebatard but sometimes he is onpoint with certain things. This one is one of them.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#187 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 7:06 pm

Miami can trade 2 1st rounders, one by picking for someone and trading their rights this year and either the 2030 or 2031 pick because of the lottery protection on the 2027 1st they gave up for Rozier.
eddieheatfan
RealGM
And1: 25,178

Post#188 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 2, 2024 7:08 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not a fan of Dan Lebatard but sometimes he is onpoint with certain things. This one is one of them.
WTF WAS THAT INTRO :lol:
AirP.
RealGM

Post#189 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 7:10 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Nope, what Boston did was get Miami to quit waiting on Herro. It's quite possible with Miami moving on, Butler staying near the same or a little less and Bam's continuing development that Miami may have their best rosters for the next few years since Butler's been in Miami. I happen to believe Butler's work on the 3 ball will help him stay at a high level and take less bumps and bruises until the playoffs.

Next year Miami could just be a starting lineup of Rozier, Robinson, Butler, Jovic and Bam which is much better than what they had this year, it could get even better depending on what Herro package can net Miami.

Richardson will be back for depth, D.Wright should be retained and, in the rotation, Jaquez Jr should be learning from Butler to eventually take his role, Miami probably signs J.Cain for cheap depth since he can't be on a 2-way anymore.
powerball1373
Sixth Man
And1: 2,862

Post#190 » by powerball1373 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:21 pm

Noodle Arm wrote:
powerball1373 wrote:
EMC5466 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=rv05ze1KDrOvRX51VQ2elA

Who the fook is this? Is it already random Heat Twitter insider dork nobodies szn?

Danny Martinez used to work for the Heat, think he used to help handle the PR/Social media side. Met him back in '15 at the Heat draft party (the Winslow draft... :-? )

Got it, thanks. I suppose that's at least one level higher than random Heat Twitter insider dork nobody lol.
eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#191 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 2, 2024 7:31 pm

AirP. wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Nope, what Boston did was get Miami to quit waiting on Herro. It's quite possible with Miami moving on, Butler staying near the same or a little less and Bam's continuing development that Miami may have their best rosters for the next few years since Butler's been in Miami. I happen to believe Butler's work on the 3 ball will help him stay at a high level and take less bumps and bruises until the playoffs.

Next year Miami could just be a starting lineup of Rozier, Robinson, Butler, Jovic and Bam which is much better than what they had this year, it could get even better depending on what Herro package can net Miami.

Richardson will be back for depth, D.Wright should be retained and, in the rotation, Jaquez Jr should be learning from Butler to eventually take his role, Miami probably signs J.Cain for cheap depth since he can't be on a 2-way anymore.

no i agree with lebatard on this one. i have been saying something similar since this playoff debacle was unfolding before our eyes.

yes jimmy HAS TO GO, guy is older and injury prone plus love to coast during the season. the heat cannot longer afford that kind of thinking which has to change for the whole ORG. ppl get season tickets in order to get entertained while watching their team try to win.

dude this season as well as last the teamed has looked mediocre aside from that run in the finals last year.

plus the players have changed too.

duncan is hurt for life with arthritis

tyler herro gets injured often (misses important games bc of it )

jimmy like i said its going to get injured more and its getting older. we already saw that he lost a step this season even when he was healthy

love has heart but he is on its last legs.older too

patti mills is a ghost of himself and getting older too

rozier, was good in charlotte sucked in miami as third or 4 option (role player)

calen martin, is just a role player. you cant ask him to become MJ LOL

jjj is just starting his career (role player)

niko while he has improved in the later part of season, he needs more seasoning (role player)

bam can be decent on defense at times but his offense cant carry anyone. there are times in which he becomes bambi (spo doesnt use him well)

the rest of the cast? pretty much LOL

what you saw is what you get and will get if they run it back. with even worse results

IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#192 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 7:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Facts, felt good at the time, but the after taste is sour a hell.
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#193 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 7:42 pm

Read on Twitter
eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#194 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 2, 2024 7:48 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
Read on Twitter
these big contracts to aging players can be a pain in the ass if it doesnt pan out for your club

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,488

Post#195 » by Gant » Thu May 2, 2024 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter

Some purely hypothetical Butler scenarios that could be worth considering for both parties, while keeping in mind that the Heat cannot take back more money than it’s sending out unless it stays below the projected $178.3 million first apron, a threshold that Miami is projected to exceed:

Butler to the Knicks in a package for Julius Randle would work, as could OG Anunoby (who’s an impending free agent) and a second significant piece. “I like the Randle idea for Miami, but I’m not sure I like it for New York,” the scout said.

Would the Pelicans - fresh off of being swept by Oklahoma City in the first round - consider trading Brandon Ingram and his expiring $36 million contract for Butler?

“I would do that trade in a heartbeat if I’m the Heat,” said one veteran NBA front office member, via text message.

While a deal built around Donovan Mitchell and Butler would make some sense if both players ultimately ask out, it would leave the Cavaliers without enough shooting and floor spacing.

The Heat likely would need to include Duncan Robinson – because including Herro likely makes it far too difficult from a salary cap perspective - and the Cavs and Heat would still need to settle on a second, third and maybe fourth Cavs player to navigate through cap gymnastics.

The problem is that Mitchell makes $13 million less than Butler next season, and throwing in Robinson would mean the Heat would need to take back another $30 million or so in salary besides Mitchell. It’s not impossible but would be very challenging.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article288235255.html#storylink=cpy
IceColdCubano
General Manager

Post#196 » by IceColdCubano » Thu May 2, 2024 7:51 pm

eddieheatfan
RealGM

Post#197 » by eddieheatfan » Thu May 2, 2024 7:51 pm

Gant wrote:
Read on Twitter

Some purely hypothetical Butler scenarios that could be worth considering for both parties, while keeping in mind that the Heat cannot take back more money than it’s sending out unless it stays below the projected $178.3 million first apron, a threshold that Miami is projected to exceed:

Butler to the Knicks in a package for Julius Randle would work, as could OG Anunoby (who’s an impending free agent) and a second significant piece. “I like the Randle idea for Miami, but I’m not sure I like it for New York,” the scout said.

Would the Pelicans - fresh off of being swept by Oklahoma City in the first round - consider trading Brandon Ingram and his expiring $36 million contract for Butler?

“I would do that trade in a heartbeat if I’m the Heat,” said one veteran NBA front office member, via text message.

While a deal built around Donovan Mitchell and Butler would make some sense if both players ultimately ask out, it would leave the Cavaliers without enough shooting and floor spacing.

The Heat likely would need to include Duncan Robinson – because including Herro likely makes it far too difficult from a salary cap perspective - and the Cavs and Heat would still need to settle on a second, third and maybe fourth Cavs player to navigate through cap gymnastics.

The problem is that Mitchell makes $13 million less than Butler next season, and throwing in Robinson would mean the Heat would need to take back another $30 million or so in salary besides Mitchell. It’s not impossible but would be very challenging.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article288235255.html#storylink=cpy
i would send him to cabron for draft picks can be used to acquire better talent
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#198 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 7:57 pm

I can’t see Jimmy causing a scene and burning the bridge with the one team in the league that accepted him for who he was and brought the best out of him (yes I know Airp he did a ton for us too) I don’t think it comes to that and I think he retires here.

If not then yea go the Mitchell route and save the assets for a 3rd guy
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#199 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Thu May 2, 2024 8:00 pm

The Celtics ended the Heat because they beat us without our best and 3rd best players and Arguably our 3rd/4th most impactful player had a bad back on top of it too despite us owning them year after year when we’re healthy?

Dans faded
#FreeBam
AirP.
RealGM

Post#200 » by AirP. » Thu May 2, 2024 8:14 pm

eddieheatfan wrote:
AirP. wrote:
IceColdCubano wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

no i agree with lebatard on this one. i have been saying something similar since this playoff debacle was unfolding before our eyes.

yes jimmy HAS TO GO, guy is older and injury prone plus love to coast during the season. the heat cannot longer afford that kind of thinking which has to change for the whole ORG. ppl get season tickets in order to get entertained while watching their team try to win.

dude this season as well as last the teamed has looked mediocre aside from that run in the finals last year.

plus the players have changed too.

duncan is hurt for life with arthritis

tyler herro gets injured often (misses important games bc of it )

jimmy like i said its going to get injured more and its getting older. we already saw that he lost a step this season even when he was healthy

love has heart but he is on its last legs.older too

patti mills is a ghost of himself and getting older too

rozier, was good in charlotte sucked in miami as third or 4 option (role player)

calen martin, is just a role player. you cant ask him to become MJ LOL

jjj is just starting his career (role player)

niko while he has improved in the later part of season, he needs more seasoning (role player)

bam can be decent on defense at times but his offense cant carry anyone. there are times in which he becomes bambi (spo doesnt use him well)

the rest of the cast? pretty much LOL

what you saw is what you get and will get if they run it back. with even worse results

In the next 3 years, I'd rather have Butler on the max to run with Bam than say... any 2-man combination of near the same price of Herro, Rozier or Robinson. I think people are just looking at contract size and not the actual value of those contracts.

Return to Miami Heat