ImageImageImage

Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem

Moderators: KingDavid, BFRESH44, heat4life, MettaWorldPanda, Wiltside, IggieCC, QUIZ

EMC5466
Rookie
And1: 2,444

Re: Miami Heat Offseason Thread vol. 1: Post Mortem 

Post#661 » by EMC5466 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:47 pm

Donovan Mitchell is going to the Knicks, Jimmy Butler is going to Philadelphia and Brandon Ingram will be traded to Miami. I think that’s how it’s going to shake out.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM
And1: 36,069

Post#662 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 5:49 pm

So ingram isn’t getting an extension and Mitchell is going to refuse his extension.

If there was ever a summer for Pat Riley to shut everyone tf up and make a major splash and win executive of the year at age 80 with all these depreciated assets around the league, it’s this one.

We have salary, Rozier; Duncan, Herro combine for $74M. Jovic and Jaime add another $6M. JRich Bryant and Love are another $10M if they pick up their option.

Darkhorse is Caleb and his option for some added salary but ultimately I think we either find a way to keep him
Or sign and trade him. He’s shown he’s the type of guy you want on a contender but it’s got to be the right situation for us. He didn’t do himself any favors this season imo.

Not sure our pick situation but I believe we have 2 1sts to trade (including 15 after we make the selection) and can possibly open another if we send our 2nd to OKC to remove all protections on the 1st we sent them; which idk why you wouldn’t take that gamble if needed if you know you have Bam and Jimmy locked in long term. Actually just looked it up, that pick is for next season we sent to OKC, thats a no brainer.

I could be off some here salary and pick wise I just skimmed through everything real quick.
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#663 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 5:51 pm

I wouldn’t buy too much into the Jimmy stuff yet, Windhorst said something and outside of that David and Hollinger are just piggybacking off what he said for clicks. Same **** all these “Miami reporters and inside sources” do
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#664 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter
#FreeBam
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#665 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Good try Morey.
#FreeBam
Kobewade11
General Manager
And1: 15,965

Post#666 » by Kobewade11 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:12 pm

EMC5466 wrote:Donovan Mitchell is going to the Knicks, Jimmy Butler is going to Philadelphia and Brandon Ingram will be traded to Miami. I think that’s how it’s going to shake out.

Mitchell will likely end up wherever he has the balls to ask to go. Im praying we stay far away from Ingram.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#667 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Woj putting it out there, lock in Pat this is the one. Getting this done honestly makes up for the Dame stuff last summer (regardless of who you put that blame on). Dames my 3rd favorite player behind Bam and Jimmy but Mitchell has always made the most sense all things considered.
#FreeBam
RexBoyWonder
RealGM
And1: 33,647

Post#668 » by RexBoyWonder » Sat May 4, 2024 6:24 pm

Keep Jimmy and Bam, offer the Cavs picks + their pick of Herro/Terry/Duncan/JJJ/Jovic.

Mitchell can state he's not going to extend with any other team other then Miami, so buyer beware.

Lilard couldn't do it because he was signed long term. Mitchell is a free agent after next season.

Mitchell
Jimmy
Bam
+ the guys the Cavs didn't pick.

You fill in the rest the best you can.
Chalm Downs wrote:his nickname is boywonder ffs
Enso
General Manager
And1: 23,993

Post#669 » by Enso » Sat May 4, 2024 6:34 pm

Orlando has to win tmrw to set things in motion
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 29,223

Post#670 » by AirP. » Sat May 4, 2024 6:42 pm

contract wrote:
AirP. wrote:
contract wrote:Why did Jimmy want to play here? Players don't give a crap.

Also Jimmy ain't Wade.

Jimmy isn't Wade but he did take a team heading nowhere to the ECF 3 out of 5 years and the NBA Finals 2 out of 5 years. He also went to Minnesota and got them into the playoffs after missing them 14 straight years.

Spoiler:
Butler and Wade got taken out of the starting lineup because they questioned the team's desire to win. Butler wanted to go to a team where the coach would hold everyone accountable, he was happy at first in Minnesota with Thibodeau until he found out Wiggins and Towns were the owner's golden boys and Towns was undermining Thibodeau by going to the owner asking for Thibodeau to be fired because he wasn't the main focal point of the offense with Butler there. Philly.. Butler was open to going back until he was told someone asking another person (he never named the people) if they thought they could control Butler (Jimmy and Brett Butler didn't see eye to eye at all), there's a great interview of Butler talking about not getting anything done in meetings or not even knowing who's in charge to JJ Redick who was a teammate of his at that time. The most telling part of the interview is him talking about Miami, we're in it to win it every year, we're not trying to lose... which speaks to why he's not in Chicago or Minnesota anymore, those teams were prioritizing the younger players over winning.

He was also completely useless in the playoffs in 2 of those 5 years ... and he wasn't nearly great last season after the Bucks series.

The same could be said of a lot of stars, some never got to their conference finals, let alone 2-3 time and most never have sniffed the finals. If looked at that way he has been worth more than a max like a lot of the top stars are.
But setting all that aside because no one is arguing that Jimmy hasn't been a 2nd tier superstar for years. He's now 35. That's the new reality. Take a good look at the playoff rosters. The oldest stars left standing are Kyrie Irving (just turned 32) and Rudy Gobert (just short of 32). As I've said before, every year beyond age 32 takes you ever closer to creeping NBA death. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to compete with a star in his mid 30s, but it's close to impossible.

In any case, close but no cigar for all of 5 years should not earn you a Kobe contract.

This is where you and I don't see eye to eye on Butler's path forward. I believe he will still be a high-level player in 3 years because of the specific game he plays. His game is built off mostly BBIQ (which shouldn't drop), strength (which he can maintain past his 30s), skill and is working on becoming a better 3pt shooter. If he leaned on quickness to get his shots off that would be an issue unless he had great size for his position which he doesn't. The drop in quickness is why so many smaller players disappear from the NBA early in their 30s, it's the ones with high IQ and now 3pt shooting that can survive with some of their quickness gone.

I see Butler as basically a smaller version of 90% of what LeBron (nobody's LeBron of course) is without the drive to try to show people that he wants to be the top player of all time. Do I think it would be smart to think Butler's going to be a dominate offensive player in the playoffs through the next 3 years, probably not as a #1, but if Miami could get another #1 by that 3rd year, possibly 2nd to push Butler to the #2 spot, I think he'd be one of the better #2 options in the league and with that Miami with Butler, Bam and a that #1 would be contenders.

No matter what, I think Miami should be looking for that MVP level player any year they don't have an MVP candidate. I don't think Butler wants to be a #1, he just wants to make his teammates better and will score if the situation calls for it. This has been one of the reasons I wanted Herro and his potential to be moved in a package before people started to see clearer what that potential could be which probably is (nothing is set in stone) a good scoring 6th man, not a #1 option you can build your offense around. Who knows, at some point maybe Herro limits his bad shots, becomes an efficient SG that really helps a team on a nightly basis, not just every once in a while.
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#671 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 6:44 pm

Enso wrote:Orlando has to win tmrw to set things in motion

It would be nice but as long as their bounced by the Celtics round 2 it’ll be the same
#FreeBam
SoFlaKingReal
Veteran
And1: 4,996

Post#672 » by SoFlaKingReal » Sat May 4, 2024 7:07 pm

Read on Twitter
insfo
General Manager
And1: 11,467

Post#673 » by insfo » Sat May 4, 2024 7:16 pm

3ammy3uck3ts wrote:
Enso wrote:Orlando has to win tmrw to set things in motion

It would be nice but as long as their bounced by the Celtics round 2 it’ll be the same

Agreed, but "first round exit" as the higher seed has a much better ring for our purposes :)
EMC5466
Rookie

Post#674 » by EMC5466 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=rv05ze1KDrOvRX51VQ2elA
3ammy3uck3ts
RealGM

Post#675 » by 3ammy3uck3ts » Sat May 4, 2024 7:19 pm

Damn, caught my guy on camera faded.
#FreeBam
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,409

Post#676 » by Heat3 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:38 pm

SoFlaKingReal wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he was playing in the regular season the Heat could have avoided the play in games.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,557

Post#677 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat May 4, 2024 7:44 pm

greg4012 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Most feasible and logical target for the price
IceColdCubano
General Manager
And1: 16,989

Post#678 » by IceColdCubano » Sat May 4, 2024 7:57 pm

Heat3 wrote:
SoFlaKingReal wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he was playing in the regular season the Heat could have avoided the play in games.

If you was playing wed still be getting our asses beat, shut the fck up, your azz is in Cancun. Talk all this mad crap and we need you to come through in the meaningful games in the season you pooped you pants. Now you want to go out and show boat, get your azz off this team you fake azz, I am done with you.
EMC5466
Rookie

Post#679 » by EMC5466 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=rv05ze1KDrOvRX51VQ2elA
MettaWorldPanda
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 145,557

Post#680 » by MettaWorldPanda » Sat May 4, 2024 8:29 pm

Spo is going to unlock Brandon Ingram during his contract year. Jeff Schwartz knows this and will deliver him.

Return to Miami Heat