ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,691

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#421 » by chonestown » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 pm

stellation wrote:There’s a sweet spot where my yogurt starts to break down my granola a little, and it becomes almost one. Just had a spoon of it like that with a super, super tart raspberry hidden in it that contrasted wonderfully with the sweetness of the yogurt (I go with a super healthy unflavoured yogurt, then sweeten it a little myself- this morning a teaspoon of home made strawberry jam).

Life is so good.

This should go in the yogurt thread.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,126

Post#422 » by humanrefutation » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:24 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Image

Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#423 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Looking for European vacation recommendations. Would like to go sometime between Aug-Oct. I lean more towards natural attractions such as the Swiss Alps, Iceland, the Cliffs of Moher/Dover, etc.

The biggest decision point is probably deciding between traveling throughout the continent ourselves, or doing a cruise. The Viking cruises look appealing, but are mostly pretty long. I think we would want to be gone no more than 10 days, including the flights there and back.

Thanks in advance!
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,047

Post#424 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Looking for European vacation recommendations. Would like to go sometime between Aug-Oct. I lean more towards natural attractions such as the Swiss Alps, Iceland, the Cliffs of Moher/Dover, etc.

The biggest decision point is probably deciding between traveling throughout the continent ourselves, or doing a cruise. The Viking cruises look appealing, but are mostly pretty long. I think we would want to be gone no more than 10 days, including the flights there and back.

Thanks in advance!

I really enjoy non-Dublin Ireland/Northern Ireland. You definitely lose something if you are doing a cruise or bus tour since you aren't going to the remote bluffs where you are hiking by yourself on sea cliffs with some goats or staying at BNB in the countryside. Issue is an automatic can get expensive, you are driving on the left side of the road and (if you are going to Giant's Causeway and back West) you encounter some extremely narrow roads lined with brick walls and locals driving fast at you. If you are just driving south west, it is mostly on a main highway and you will be fine. I also don't think you need more than a week in Ireland unless you add on UK or something else. Feel Dublin you can do everything in 1 day (Croke Stadium tour where you go on the roof is pretty cool).

Don't know much about them, but the Dolomites look pretty awesome. It is in Italy so i would have to assume a little cheaper, more flight options with Milan, Venice, and Rome, and a little better weather for hiking at altitude? Ability to add on beach or city time?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,097

Post#425 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 pm

King Arthur makes my favorite baking videos. I love this guy. Recipe looks awesome, I was drooling by the time he made that sandwich.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,148

Post#426 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Looking for European vacation recommendations. Would like to go sometime between Aug-Oct. I lean more towards natural attractions such as the Swiss Alps, Iceland, the Cliffs of Moher/Dover, etc.

Thanks in advance!

My wife and I did Paris/Switzerland/Venice/Denmark all in about 10 days. I wouldn’t say I regret it but having to wake up early every 2nd/3rd day to catch a train/flight while not knowing the language definitely led to some tense/stressful/over-exhausted moments.

You know yourself better than anyone, so I wouldn’t necessarily say don’t try see as much as you can. But if you’re someone who gets anxious traveling and likes to take time to settle in, maybe only pick 1-2 spots to really enjoy.
chile
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#427 » by chile » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:

Thanks in advance!

My wife and I did Paris/Switzerland/Venice/Denmark all in about 10 days. I wouldn’t say I regret it but having to wake up early every 2nd/3rd day to catch a train/flight while not knowing the language definitely led to some tense/stressful/over-exhausted moments.

You know yourself better than anyone, so I wouldn’t necessarily say don’t try see as much as you can. But if you’re someone who gets anxious traveling and likes to take time to settle in, maybe only pick 1-2 spots to really enjoy.
2nd this. I would stick to 1 location and do day trips nearby. I will say the scenery in Switzerland is amazing. Never rented a car and we could get to remote towns all over the country by train. The biggest downfall is that place is expensive. Chicago has good/direct/cheap flights. Just need to wait until the flight prices come down (around the 500-600 range). But you are probably going to have to fly out 2nd half of September or later. Weather will still be good.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#428 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 pm

Thanks in advance!

Just got back from Italy, having spent time in Florence (Tuscany) and Rome. Not sure if Tuscany would check your natural attraction box (it did at least in part, for me), but can definitely go into more detail if you're interested. TLDR, at least:

We had 10 days total and did a 6/4 Florence split. I don't regret going to Rome and not sure I'd change the trip overall (maybe 7/3), but I have no desire to go back there. Great to see the attractions, but once those are done it's just a big city. Florence, on the other hand, I'd be happy to just exist in. Quaint, idyllic Italy, and in the heart of Tuscany with ample daytrips for wine, nature, or to other Central/North/Western places in Italy (e.g. Pisa, Lucca, or e.g. Venice, Genoa for overnights).

I've done a cruise of the Hawaiian islands, which was great to get a taste of each place, but we ultimately wanted more of literally all of them. I think trying to cram a cruise into 8 days would feel rushed IMO, unless it's really focused on just a few places.

Aug-Oct would be a great time to go to Scandinavia, if you're at all interested. The fjords (Norway) sounds like it'd be right up your alley.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#429 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:

Thanks in advance!

This is why I see the cruise route as a viable option. No constant packing/unpacking, having a "home base" with no language barrier, wasting time checking in, etc.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#430 » by Mags FTW » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Just got back from Italy, having spent time in Florence (Tuscany) and Rome. Not sure if Tuscany would check your natural attraction box (it did at least in part, for me), but can definitely go into more detail if you're interested. TLDR, at least:

We had 10 days total and did a 6/4 Florence split. I don't regret going to Rome and not sure I'd change the trip overall (maybe 7/3), but I have no desire to go back there. Great to see the attractions, but once those are done it's just a big city. Florence, on the other hand, I'd be happy to just exist in. Quaint, idyllic Italy, and in the heart of Tuscany with ample daytrips for wine, nature, or to other Central/North/Western places in Italy (e.g. Pisa, Lucca, or e.g. Venice, Genoa for overnights).

I've done a cruise of the Hawaiian islands, which was great to get a taste of each place, but we ultimately wanted more of literally all of them. I think trying to cram a cruise into 8 days would feel rushed IMO, unless it's really focused on just a few places.

Aug-Oct would be a great time to go to Scandinavia, if you're at all interested. The fjords (Norway) sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

There are a couple of Fjords cruises I am looking at.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,097

Post#431 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:25 pm

I made that pan de cristal bread when I got home. Or at least I started. I was an hour into the process when I finally read the full directions and found out it would take six hours. Looks like this is getting some 24 hour proofing.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,967

Post#432 » by BUCKnation » Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:41 pm

Thanks in advance!

Did 3 weeks last year from Amsterdam, through Germany, then Switzerland and Milan. Spent about half the time in Switzerland and absolutely loved it. Outside of the food being expensive, its my new favorite country with Japan.

My parents have done 2 viking cruises and had a great time on both. One from Amsterdam to Basel, SW and another from Munich to Budapest. They are really cool.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,148

Post#433 » by MissKhriddleton » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 am

Am trying to cook dried beans for the first time. Soaked for 8 hours. Been cooking for 2 hours on the stove. Still not done. Why the **** do people do this?
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,348

Post#434 » by KidA24 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:48 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Am trying to cook dried beans for the first time. Soaked for 8 hours. Been cooking for 2 hours on the stove. Still not done. Why the **** do people do this?

Because they come out incredible.

Also, soaking is a myth.

https://www.seriouseats.com/soaking-black-beans-faq

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#435 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Toaster Ovens. Not dual toaster oven/air fryer (unless it's really just the best option) - just toaster oven. No budget. Go.

ETA: This Breville Mini is the current leader.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#436 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:Am trying to cook dried beans for the first time. Soaked for 8 hours. Been cooking for 2 hours on the stove. Still not done. Why the **** do people do this?

Try a pressure cooker. Depending on the type of bean, start to finish in roughly 30 minutes.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,917

Post#437 » by jschligs » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:07 am

I ****ing love pierogis. That is all.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#438 » by Mags FTW » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:24 pm

RIP Stump the Schwab
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,335

Post#439 » by jute2003 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:19 pm

jschligs wrote:I ****ing love pierogis. That is all.
Have you tried Paul's pelmeni? They are delicious little bastards. Oasis cafe in fitchburg also serves them for lunch.
only a fan, only an opinion
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,917

Post#440 » by jschligs » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:10 pm

jute2003 wrote:
jschligs wrote:I ****ing love pierogis. That is all.
Have you tried Paul's pelmeni? They are delicious little bastards. Oasis cafe in fitchburg also serves them for lunch.

Love Oasis Cafe, haven’t had Paul’s but I’ve added it to my list!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks