PG: Indy Game 1 - Bucks Take Opener

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,225

Re: PG: Indy Game 1 - Bucks Take Opener 

Post#201 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:52 am

ShootingtheJ wrote:They play slower with Siakam too.

You described exactly what I was trying to get at, but didn’t quite get there.

Last December the Pacers were running and gunning. Now on a lot of possessions it’s Siakam doing that illegal back down, while he keeps swinging his left arm into the defender to push him off. The whole thing feels like it takes ten seconds.

Then you add in the fact Griffin isn’t here anymore, to have the Bucks crash the boards, while the other team leaks out all night long.

We just have to get game 2 as well.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,182

Post#202 » by MissKhriddleton » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:04 am

Siakam also has zero interest in taking threes from above the break. Makes them much easier to defend.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,495

Post#203 » by HKPackFan » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 am

Liked doc mentioned the pacers will be better next game, so we need to be better.

I hope between him and bev and Dame the message is getting across, don't relax but ramp up even more.
#FreeChuckDiesel
AntetokounmBros
Rookie
And1: 1,192

Post#204 » by AntetokounmBros » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:27 am

Based on their interviews, Indiana wants to play with force and be more aggressive. I hope they come out too aggressive and undisciplined so we can take advantage of that. Haliburton trying to force his offense would also be nice.
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#205 » by -Jragon- » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:15 am

Perishable517 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I cringe when Bobby gets the ball on the block and we revert to basketball circa 1994, but I recognize it's vitally important to get him going.
I don't. It is vital to be able to get him or Brook some catches on the block. With those two, that can be crucial to get the team out of a scoring Funk.

Sent from my CPH2417 using RealGM mobile app

Khash was doing damage on the opposite block too. I thought he also did a great job fitting in, picking his spots, complimenting Dame and using/taking advantage of mismatches caused by the offensive movement we had. I really think the complexity Doc wanted has taken awhile for our team to figure out but there's open dudes running all over so this is great
-Jragon-
Head Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#206 » by -Jragon- » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:45 am

BP had a remote control on the ball I think. Never have I ever seen so many favorable bounces. A lot of shooter's touch went on that night
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,859

Post#207 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:04 pm

I have zero problem with the Bobby post-ups in this one. Without Giannis, you kinda need those possessions to diversify the offense. The key is parking Brook on the block more often as well when the matchup calls for it, but I think they really like staggering the Dame/Brook and Khris/Bobby pairings together so that Brook's gonna be used as a screener on most possessions.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,170

Post#208 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:they are doubling dame up top 40 feet from the basket when the screener comes and keeping him from turning the corner.... i wish hed sometimes try to split those screens. it would be a fastbreak to the basket if he could do it but he never does. its weird how some guys like harden are gurus at it but dame never even tries.

otherwise the way they played him in the second half is going to completely remove him from the series. as great as the first half was, once they made the adjustment he was completely negated. it shouldnt have been that easy but it was. thank god khris did khris things and beverly game managed well in that secondary role

regardless of the attention he gets he has to still make an impact tho. were not going to win this series if they keep running that defense out and dame becomes just a decoy

It should be easy for the rest to get plenty of points if the defend him like this. But we also said the same thing about Tor and other teams putting 3 guys in the paint on Giannis and how open all the other's shots would be that should be easy and of course that didn't work out in most cases. 2H yesterday reminder me of that

if dame is stymied he doesnt have all the other ways to contribute like giannis can. we only have 3 guys that can create their own offense. one is out. lock the other down and then it falls on khris. khris is really good about making that skip pass quick when they come.... dame needs to create space inbound to the rim before he gives it up.

i really think doc needs to create some sets that free him in space and we need to initiate earlier. there were so many possessions in the second half that hadnt hardly gotten going deep into the clock while we were horsing around up top.

im sure it will be addressed. doc is well aware dame had a donut in the second half and our offense stalled. im sure it will be addressed

Bobby not only can, but often excels, at creating his own offense. In fact his ability to create his own offense was a huge part of the Bucks snatching the Pacers' collective souls from their bodies in that second quarter. And honestly Bobby has been consistently doing that all season, whether to extend a lead or combat an opponent's run. So four guys.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,921

Post#209 » by buckboy » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:43 pm

BigO wrote:
buckboy wrote:
FrieAaron wrote:
Yeah they are.

Thankfully.

And whatever stats they're looking at, they've decided getting the ball to BP on post-ups is an important strategy. Thankfully.

Nah.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,105

Post#210 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:34 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Bobby not only can, but often excels, at creating his own offense. In fact his ability to create his own offense was a huge part of the Bucks snatching the Pacers' collective souls from their bodies in that second quarter. And honestly Bobby has been consistently doing that all season, whether to extend a lead or combat an opponent's run. So four guys.

bobbys a black hole. i phrased that wrong. i meant as far as creating their own offense in a triple threat. dame, giannis, and middleton you can run offense thru them. brook and bobby you keep involved by running offense to them.

i would agree bobbys been good but he is a guy who is a secondary option you have to use sparingly. pounding him like its the 80s would make him useless. bottom line bobbys offense in headdown isolation isnt going to win us a championship... maybe a game but not a series or a ring. we need guys who can even get him the ball in his spot and thats basically khris and dame with giannis out. in the 2nd half beverly game managed well so i guess hes the one too if dame gets defended off the court
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Post#211 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 pm

The post-up game is a useful weapon to have in a pinch. Most defenders struggle against it, if the guy they're guarding has decent touch and footwork and reasonably physical. Even Gianni, whose post-up game is solid but mechanical at best (he's made strides the last two seasons), causes teams to immediately shade and even double him nearly every time he's on the block. In the 82-game season where it's all about pace, space, 7-seconds or less stuff yea it looks like dinosaur offense. In the playoffs where defense improves, the pace slows down posting up is a nice wrinkle to have. Especially if it comes off of a mismatch out of a pick-and-roll.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Shaffty
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,121

Post#212 » by Shaffty » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:06 pm

in the playoffs sometimes you just need a muck breaking bucket when your offense gets bogged down. Khris middletons elite value is in
"The tough shot express" and his ability to get a "good" shot for himself no matter the moment, no matter the score or the time or the defense. Momentum breakers, guys who have moves so practiced they basically do 'animations' of the move and its an auto score regardless of defense.

Bobby post ups have that ability. Bobby can manufacture buckets out of nothing. You dont need crisp offense or the ball moving or momentum or positive energy. Bobby can spark it himself. And that doesnt matter in January. But when you've GOTTA win a game and every one is tight. It can be a game changing skill
German Athens
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,047

Post#213 » by German Athens » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 pm

Shaffty wrote:in the playoffs sometimes you just need a muck breaking bucket when your offense gets bogged down. Khris middletons elite value is in
"The tough shot express" and his ability to get a "good" shot for himself no matter the moment, no matter the score or the time or the defense. Momentum breakers, guys who have moves so practiced they basically do 'animations' of the move and its an auto score regardless of defense.

Bobby post ups have that ability. Bobby can manufacture buckets out of nothing. You dont need crisp offense or the ball moving or momentum or positive energy. Bobby can spark it himself. And that doesnt matter in January. But when you've GOTTA win a game and every one is tight. It can be a game changing skill

Yeah, this is Khris’s biggest skill. Like you said, sometimes you just need a bucket in a tight game. So many people look at the PPP and conclude what is and isn’t a good shot, but in close contests with limited possessions remaining in the game, give me the look with the higher chance of conversion regardless of the points attached to the shot.

Even wide open threes late in games can really bother me, especially when it coincides with the other team going on a run. It’s settling for a ~40% look.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,982

Post#214 » by BUCKnation » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm

Outside of Turner, Siakam and maybe Obi, they don't really have anyone that can get a proper hand in Bobby's face when he posts up and none of those guys are defending him very often, so they are generally even better looks than usual
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 991

Post#215 » by MiltownMadness » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:35 pm

Siakam probably isn't going to be a very good defender if he is taking 20-30 shots a night. He ain't Giannis

Return to Milwaukee Bucks