ImageImage

MJS Story on Lasry/Edens/New Arena (Stein update on pg 10)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Re: MJS Story on Lasry/Edens/New Arena (Stein update on pg 1 

Post#761 » by th87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:59 am

midranger wrote:Fewest murders in 40 years? Great. Still had more than any other city in the country by a LONG shot. That includes New York (by nearly 100) and Los Angeles (by over 150). Violent crime is down everywhere.

It sucks.

Link please.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,033

Post#762 » by midranger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:01 am

Is it that hard to google "murders 2013"?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ities.html
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
th87
General Manager

Post#763 » by th87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 am

midranger wrote:
th87 wrote:
I won't go down the race route, but there certainly is a strong and significant narrative that the city is scary. People are constantly bombarded with images of crime occurring in the city, leading some to believe that as soon as they step foot there, they'll get robbed. This probably isn't an issue for us young people as much, but when you're talking about soccer mom Jane from Waukesha bringing her two kids downtown in her Lexus SUV, then yes, coming into the city would give her something to think about. Older suburbanites would feel the same.

This angle needs to be attacked. Maybe show crime statistics for that neighborhood in Milwaukee. That it's totally safe. That you're more likely to (insert unlikely event) than be a crime victim in Milwaukee.

We need to get this boogeyman too.

Does anyone else find it funny that this guy states we must "attack" "scary" city based stereotypes, in one sentence and then throws in a city based stereotype in the next sentence?

Perhaps, it's time to re-examine your "un"bigoted thinking.

Calm yourself. If you don't think there's a significant sentiment of suburbanites avoiding the city because of crime fears, then I don't know what to tell you. I suppose the radio shows implying this very sentiment doesn't reflect anyone's views.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,728

Post#764 » by AussieBuck » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:05 am

Holy ****, you guys really like killing each other. :o :o :o
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
midranger
RealGM

Post#765 » by midranger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:08 am

th87 wrote:
midranger wrote:
th87 wrote:
I won't go down the race route, but there certainly is a strong and significant narrative that the city is scary. People are constantly bombarded with images of crime occurring in the city, leading some to believe that as soon as they step foot there, they'll get robbed. This probably isn't an issue for us young people as much, but when you're talking about soccer mom Jane from Waukesha bringing her two kids downtown in her Lexus SUV, then yes, coming into the city would give her something to think about. Older suburbanites would feel the same.

This angle needs to be attacked. Maybe show crime statistics for that neighborhood in Milwaukee. That it's totally safe. That you're more likely to (insert unlikely event) than be a crime victim in Milwaukee.

We need to get this boogeyman too.

Does anyone else find it funny that this guy states we must "attack" "scary" city based stereotypes, in one sentence and then throws in a city based stereotype in the next sentence?

Calm yourself. If you don't think there's a significant sentiment of suburbanites avoiding the city because of crime fears, then I don't know what to tell you. I suppose the radio shows implying this very sentiment doesn't reflect anyone's views.

And if you don't think there's significantly more crime in the city than the suburbs, I don't know what to tell you. My assertion can actually be proven by fact.
th87
General Manager

Post#766 » by th87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:09 am

midranger wrote:Is it that hard to google "murders 2013"?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ities.html

Is it that hard to link to a source?
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,826

Post#767 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:09 am

jtf150 wrote:My window got smashed at State Fair Park in the Stair Fair Park parking lot . I know nobody thinks of State Fair Park as a bad area.

"I disagree." /Tom Barrett

Edit: Didn't see that IO hit that joke up already. Boo
Go Bucks!
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#768 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 am

linguini8 wrote:I lived on the eastside for years and I grew up in Tosa. Nothing about the BC location or just North of there makes me feel unsafe. You're more likely to be mugged or have your car broken into on the eastside 2 blocks from UWM than you are walking North of the BC after a game. As one poster stated people aren't showing up for games because the Bucks have sucked, not because the community is afraid of downtown. The location of the new arena won't matter as much as it's being made out to in this discussion. Tearing down the mall is a good idea. The Summerfest grounds is a good idea. The vacant lot North of the BC is a good idea. None of these places will have substantially more or less crime than the other once a new Arena is in place. The < 1% of prejudice, uninformed fans from Waukesha or whichever burbs screaming downtown isn't safe and a new Arena is a bad idea do not and will not matter once this ball gets rolling.

I personally feel it would be in the city's best interest to put the new arena North of where the BC is currently. That area has had some development over the past few years and a new arena in that location easily provides the most potential for urban growth and the revitalization of our city than any of the other suggestions floating around.

All of this is spot on.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#769 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:16 am

AussieBuck wrote:Holy ****, you guys really like killing each other. :o :o :o

We're going all Chicago on each other.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#770 » by InsideOut » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:18 am

worthlessBucks wrote:
jtf150 wrote:My window got smashed at State Fair Park in the Stair Fair Park parking lot . I know nobody thinks of State Fair Park as a bad area.

"I disagree." /Tom Barrett

Edit: Didn't see that IO hit that joke up already. Boo

And don't forget that racial mob attack in 2011. People were beaten and there was all kinds of damage. People stay away when they read about that kind of stuff.
midranger
RealGM

Post#771 » by midranger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:18 am

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Mi ... onsin.html

Those idiot suburbanites and their ridiculous notions of crime rates. We must fight fact with emotion.
th87
General Manager

Post#772 » by th87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:19 am

midranger wrote:
th87 wrote:
midranger wrote:

And if you don't think there's significantly more crime in the city than the suburbs, I don't know what to tell you. My assertion can actually be proven by fact.

What??? Cities have more crime than suburbs? You've happened upon an incredible discovery, guy. Maybe you should write another cute little faux-article illustrating this.

The point you're proving for me is that some suburbanites are scared to visit the city based on blown-out-of-proportion crime fears. And it is these people who will be very anti-arena.
worthlessBucks
RealGM

Post#773 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 am

JayMKE wrote:I haven't lived in Milwaukee for a couple years now but I wouldn't call the area around the Bradley Center "unsafe". I've heard about people getting their windows smashed and stuff stolen out of their car on some of those darker side streets but that could happen anywhere in the city. I agree there should be some better street lighting and maybe more of a police presence around where people park(the police department is literally right next to the BC so this shouldn't be an issue). If they actually develop the area around the new arena it would go a long way to fixing this perception I think, it's pretty dark and desolate and kinda creepy in that area so I can see how somebody might perceive it as being unsafe.

This is it, exactly what I was going to add. Cockroaches scatter when the light hits them. Brighten it up, increase foot traffic, put up some CCTV, have increased police patrol, whatever.

Secured and convenient parking structures should be in any plans for the arena.
Go Bucks!
midranger
RealGM

Post#774 » by midranger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:23 am

th87 wrote:
The point you're proving for me is that some suburbanites are scared to visit the city based on blown-out-of-proportion crime fears. And it is these people who will be very anti-arena.

Your point is far from proven. In fact, you've provided zero evidence to that end. Zilch.

Meanwhile, I just presented evidence that perhaps those hypothetical fears aren't so overblown. Hypothetically.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#775 » by trwi7 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:24 am

midranger wrote:http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Milwaukee-Wisconsin.html

Those idiot suburbanites and their ridiculous notions of crime rates. We must fight fact with emotion.

That map would be much more helpful if it gave crime rates in specific areas of the city.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
th87
General Manager

Post#776 » by th87 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 am

Meaningless without neighborhood breakdown.
midranger
RealGM

Post#777 » by midranger » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:26 am

trwi7 wrote:

That map would be much more helpful if it gave crime rates in specific areas of the city.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wi/milwaukee/crime/
worthlessBucks
RealGM

Post#778 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 am

InsideOut wrote:And don't forget that racial mob attack in 2011. People were beaten and there was all kinds of damage. People stay away when they read about that kind of stuff.

My memory linked those events at the same time around '09, but yeah you're right, that was in '11. Same with the Mayfair flash mob. That crap was ridiculous and I'm glad Milwaukee hasn't had any of those incidents since.
Go Bucks!
mchase27
Banned User
And1: 123

Post#779 » by mchase27 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 am

midranger wrote:
th87 wrote:

Your point is far from proven. In fact, you've provided zero evidence to that end. Zilch.

Meanwhile, I just presented evidence that perhaps those hypothetical fears aren't so overblown. Hypothetically.

You haven't really presented anything to be honest, your playing devils advocate just to play it.
aValpo
Junior
And1: 162

Post#780 » by aValpo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am

What percentage of people are deciding not to go to Bucks games because they believe crime is too high near the Bradley Center? Seriously, what statistic other than "significant sentiment"? How many total suburbanites said last year "well I was going to go to a Bucks game, but damn it's just too dangerous by the Bradley Center." Is this percentage significantly higher than 2001 when people were showing up to Bucks games? Are people from Chicago to Oklahoma significantly less scared to go to NBA games in their downtowns?

This debate is silly. There's a lot of crime in Milwaukee, but it doesn't matter as the Bradley Center isn't deterring a significant percentage of people that stay away due to Milwaukee crime issues. Again, people are staying home from Bucks games because they suck, not because of any crime issue/racism of suburbanites.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks