ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,765

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#501 » by chonestown » Wed May 8, 2024 6:05 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Chicken thighs are terrible no matter how they're prepared.

MODS!
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,305

Post#502 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 8, 2024 6:17 pm

I'm genuinely surprised that anyone would choose a chicken breast over a chicken thigh. I can't think of a single cooking method where I'd pick a breast. Thighs are so much more flavorful and juicy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,298

Post#503 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 8, 2024 6:42 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that anyone would choose a chicken breast over a chicken thigh. I can't think of a single cooking method where I'd pick a breast. Thighs are so much more flavorful and juicy.

Two problems with chicken breast solved with brining and marinating.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#504 » by trwi7 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:52 pm

Slept through a tornado warning. nbd, but I am talented in many different things.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#505 » by MikeIsGood » Wed May 8, 2024 8:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:I'm genuinely surprised that anyone would choose a chicken breast over a chicken thigh. I can't think of a single cooking method where I'd pick a breast. Thighs are so much more flavorful and juicy.

Now just imagine brined and marinated chicken thighs 8-)
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,044

Post#506 » by Ryan5UW » Wed May 8, 2024 8:22 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Chicken thighs are terrible no matter how they're prepared.

ReasonablySober wrote:Chicken thighs are gross.

You two are off your **** rockers
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,305

Post#507 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 8, 2024 8:28 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

Brining and marinating are nice. I don't brine my chicken thighs, but I will marinate them depending on the flavor profile I'm after.

But, the thing is, I don't have to do that to enjoy a chicken thigh. Hell, one of my easy meals is to take bone-in thighs, season them, and toss them in the air fryer. They come out moist and flavorful every time.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#508 » by jute2003 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:51 pm

Sweet potatoes are yuck
only a fan, only an opinion
trwi7
RealGM

Post#509 » by trwi7 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:05 am

Read on Twitter
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#510 » by stellation » Thu May 9, 2024 3:59 am

jute2003 wrote:Sweet potatoes are yuck

Counterpoint: sweet potatoes are delicious.
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,298

Post#511 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 9, 2024 4:06 am

I went through a phase maybe 10 years ago where I'd eat at least two sweet potatoes a week, but only a specific way. Cut into really thin planks, like 1/5" thick, brushed with olive oil, seasoned with kosher salt and herbs, and grilled until crispy. Usually black/burned in spots. Totally delicious.

But everywhere I go serves them as tots or fries that are mushy in the middle. Nah, I need crispy or GTFO.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,965

Post#512 » by stellation » Thu May 9, 2024 8:42 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I went through a phase maybe 10 years ago where I'd eat at least two sweet potatoes a week, but only a specific way. Cut into really thin planks, like 1/5" thick, brushed with olive oil, seasoned with kosher salt and herbs, and grilled until crispy. Usually black/burned in spots. Totally delicious.

But everywhere I go serves them as tots or fries that are mushy in the middle. Nah, I need crispy or GTFO.

Like 'em grilled, too. My favourite is probably roasted in decent chunks, not too mushy on the inside and a bit burnt on the outside. Weber is perfect for it, usually just olive oil, salt, pepper and straight on the grill usually with a handful of rosemary and bay leaves (and sage if growing) from the garden for the first half hour before turning (then let the herbs fall where they lay). Chef's kiss does not do justice, nobody else in my family likes 'em (except for the dog, he's always down for a few).
#FreeChuckDiesel
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,180

Post#513 » by midranger » Thu May 9, 2024 11:51 am

Small cubes. Toss in avocado oil and taco seasoning. Roast til middle soft and outside crispy. Add black beans at end.

Avocado
Sour cream
Green salsa

Sweet potato tacos y’all.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,235

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#514 » by thomchatt3rton » Sun May 12, 2024 6:34 pm

jute2003 wrote:
chonestown wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Just saw Nick's in Madison is closing :sad: Haven't been able to eat there in damn near a decade, but definitely some good meals/memories had there.

Yeah, I'm going to have to grab a rueben in there. Loved the bar area. Maybe the last of the "adult" bars on State.

OTOH, I just discovered the Boathouse Lounge connected to the Edgewater. Right on the Mendota shore with a sprawling multi-boat slip. Feels hidden. On a Thursday night, I thought it should be packed but was sparsely occupied.
It's a great spot. I also like leopolds and io arcade bar for a more mature crowd any day besides saturday.

You guys seem like good guys to ask: my super-hot gf (who I have sex with) is gonna be in WI next week and we’re thinking of doing a day in Madison. I haven’t been there in YEARS.

What are some must-see things to do? It’ll be a weekday, and we aren’t really drinkers but like seeing sights, shopping, restaurants, museums. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
trwi7
RealGM

Post#515 » by trwi7 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:44 am

Overcome 0-2 deficit, win final 3 at home.

Read on Twitter

Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,767

Post#516 » by Licensed to Il » Mon May 13, 2024 1:51 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
chonestown wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to have to grab a rueben in there. Loved the bar area. Maybe the last of the "adult" bars on State.

OTOH, I just discovered the Boathouse Lounge connected to the Edgewater. Right on the Mendota shore with a sprawling multi-boat slip. Feels hidden. On a Thursday night, I thought it should be packed but was sparsely occupied.
It's a great spot. I also like leopolds and io arcade bar for a more mature crowd any day besides saturday.

You guys seem like good guys to ask: my gf is gonna be in WI next week and we’re thinking of doing a day in Madison. I haven’t been there in YEARS.

What are some must-see things to do? It’ll be a weekday, and we aren’t really drinkers but like seeing sights, shopping, restaurants, museums. Thanks!

I guess the obvious spots are: walk the Henry Vilas Zoo for an hour or two (free, closes at like 3:30). Head to State Street, shop and find a lunch place. Check out the Terrace on campus, or walk to Picnic Point.
chonestown
General Manager

Post#517 » by chonestown » Mon May 13, 2024 2:24 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
chonestown wrote:

You guys seem like good guys to ask: my gf is gonna be in WI next week and we’re thinking of doing a day in Madison. I haven’t been there in YEARS.

Over by Memorial Union area, there's a couple parking ramps. The food carts set up on Library Mall, which corresponds to the west end of State Street. There's a ton of options, my top choice is Caracas Arepas which is Venezuelan. Library Mall puts you in close contact to the Chazen Art Museum, which I find much superior to the MOCA. It's free, the featured exhibitions are usually more to my taste and the permanent collection is stronger. Memorial Union is Memorial Union. Not an imaginative choice but c'mon. If it's nice out, it's glorious. A damn showpiece is what it is, plus it's close to Science Hall and the Red Gym, probably my two favorite two pieces of campus architecture.

I would walk the path out to the west and make sure to stop at Allen Centennial Garden, which has a fairly small footprint but a ton of variety. You can either walk back at that point or head out to Monroe Street, which begins at Camp Randall. It might make more sense to drive out there as well. The two shopping/districts are roughly the 1700-1900 blocks and the Knickerbocker area on the west side of Edgewood. The choice spots for the former are Pizza Bruti and Bloom Bakehouse, while Fairchild (whose chef was a judge on the last episode of Top Chef) and Gates and Brovi are top picks for the latter. This is also near Lake Wingra, which houses the zoo (also free) and has a ton of great walking paths.

East of the Capitol, the Williamson and Atwood neighborhoods are very walkable with plenty of good eating spots. Ahan and Weary Traveler are my faves on Willy, Monsoon Siam, Bar Coralino and Players (prolly the best gdam burger spot in town) rule Atwood, and sure, Stalzy's got the deli game on lock. Further east of Atwood is Olbrich Gardens, much bigger than Allen but well worth the visit. Garver Mill complex is on the east side of the Gardens and houses a bunch of food spots in a lovingly restored former poultry feed warehouse. If you go to Olbrich, might as well keep going to Monona and hit up Viet Hoa grocery for the best bahn mi in town. It won't immediately be obvious where to grab one but there should be someone at a register near the entrance. Ask for help. There's a couple of other great spots in Monona on Monona Dr, including Swod India and Fraboni's Italian Deli.

If you haven't been to the Capitol, it's super obvious but it's super obvious for a reason. Wednesday farmer's market is on MLK on the block nearest Monona Terrace, also home to one of the better lake views in the city. Graze/L'etoile is regarded as the foodie spot, but I still can't get over an extended print piece on Chef Tory Miller that included a vignette of his weekly visit to the Dane Co Farmer's Market that included him demanding of a vendor "Give me all your radishes." Christ, have some decorum.

If you want to get out of town, Dr. Evermore's sculpture park is maybe a 30-40 minute drive out of the city. I fking love it. Google that sht and see if it's your jam. The UW basketball offices are located off the Kohl Center so stop in and let out a hearty #firegard if inclined, though I might-could call you a meatball fan.

I dunno man, ask questions and I'll see what I can do to help you out. If you want to get tacos, go to Tacqueria Guadalajara on Park. The walk around Monona Bay is a personal fave, so put in some steps and get some fking huraches and gorditas at TacqG afterwards. Personally, I love sitting at the counter there and marveling at the bilingual staff juggling multiple tickets, online orders and seating people, not continue to beating a dead horse but give the FOH staff at least as much money as Malik Beasley, troo Mexi-merican heroes. I don't know who on this consarned forum recommended Taigu Noodles in Middleton, but they were Right. Near Taigu is Taza, which is killing things on the Middle Eastern front. My god, I wanna run up on that spot right now.

Like most other cities worth a vinegar fart, Madison is best experienced on foot. Holla at me TC if you need further guidance.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”

-DCB
chonestown
General Manager

Post#518 » by chonestown » Mon May 13, 2024 2:30 am

And Zuzu near the Zoo is recommended, too. Roll up there for happy hour, get a damn gyro for $4. I know the value of a dollar, believe that.

-DCB
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,797

Post#519 » by MikeIsGood » Mon May 13, 2024 2:46 am

What is a vinegar fart and will I regret asking?

(Will respond with Madison deets tomorrow for a work break :))
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,235

Post#520 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon May 13, 2024 10:44 am

Licensed to Il wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
jute2003 wrote:It's a great spot. I also like leopolds and io arcade bar for a more mature crowd any day besides saturday.

I guess the obvious spots are: walk the Henry Vilas Zoo for an hour or two (free, closes at like 3:30). Head to State Street, shop and find a lunch place. Check out the Terrace on campus, or walk to Picnic Point.

Awesome that helps! I don’t even know the obvious spots lol. All I know is State Street. It was the damn 90s last time I hung out in Madison

Return to Milwaukee Bucks