ImageImage

OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.]

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,816

Re: OT: General Off Topic Thread [NO Politics, Race, Religion, etc.] 

Post#561 » by MikeIsGood » Fri May 17, 2024 1:37 pm

My favorite part of the Scottie Scheffler story is that he asked Jeff Darlington "Can you help?" while being cuffed and taken away.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40162983/scottie-scheffler-detained-police-prior-start-pga-championship
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,982

Post#562 » by jschligs » Fri May 17, 2024 1:46 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:My favorite part of the Scottie Scheffler story is that he asked Jeff Darlington "Can you help?" while being cuffed and taken away.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40162983/scottie-scheffler-detained-police-prior-start-pga-championship

They had no idea who he was. In an official PGA marked vehicle. The chief isn’t going to have a fun day today.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#563 » by jschligs » Fri May 17, 2024 1:58 pm

Going to be doing a flank steak this weekend. Have a recipe I like, but want to try something new. Anyone have a good marinade recipe for it? Will be smoking it on the Traeger
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 5,056

Post#564 » by Plossum » Fri May 17, 2024 2:13 pm

jschligs wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:My favorite part of the Scottie Scheffler story is that he asked Jeff Darlington "Can you help?" while being cuffed and taken away.

They had no idea who he was. In an official PGA marked vehicle. The chief isn’t going to have a fun day today.

Body cam will be interesting. I wonder if it gets “lost”…
#LockUpChuck
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,782

Post#565 » by Licensed to Il » Fri May 17, 2024 2:28 pm

On one hand golf guy doesn’t have any special privilege to move through a fatal accident scene. On the other hand, everyone is there to watch him play and he’s just trying to get to work. I understand the cop’s anger, cause he is also trying to do his job. But at the end of all of it, it feels like it would have been reasonable to let all golfers through as eventually the tourney was going to commence and that is what everyone was there for.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 5,009

Post#566 » by drew881 » Fri May 17, 2024 4:10 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:On one hand golf guy doesn’t have any special privilege to move through a fatal accident scene. On the other hand, everyone is there to watch him play and he’s just trying to get to work. I understand the cop’s anger, cause he is also trying to do his job. But at the end of all of it, it feels like it would have been reasonable to let all golfers through as eventually the tourney was going to commence and that is what everyone was there for.

Lawyer is saying he was waved through and that the cop was not part of the traffic detail.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,166

Post#567 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Fri May 17, 2024 4:53 pm

Licensed to Il wrote:On one hand golf guy doesn’t have any special privilege to move through a fatal accident scene. On the other hand, everyone is there to watch him play and he’s just trying to get to work. I understand the cop’s anger, cause he is also trying to do his job. But at the end of all of it, it feels like it would have been reasonable to let all golfers through as eventually the tourney was going to commence and that is what everyone was there for.

I don't think it is that simple, and I'm sure if he knew he was a golfer he wouldve let him go/tell him the new route. There's a lot of unknowns here. Did the cop know he was a golfer (doesn't seem like it). Was there clear barriers in place/identification of the cop? Did Scottie see the cop? Did scottie know it was a cop? etc
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,198

Post#568 » by MickeyDavis » Fri May 17, 2024 5:57 pm

The cop who was injured was a detective but was in full uniform. He gave Scheffler instructions but Scheffler didn't comply and tried to keep going.

This wasn't an just an accident that had traffic backed up. There was a fatality. It was 5:00 a.m., 4 hours before his tee time (I understand they don't just show up and go right to the first tee). The had to get to work thing is b.s. (it's not Scheffler saying that).

"This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers," Scheffler said in a statement. "It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do. I never intended to disregard any of the instructions. I'm hopeful to put this to the side and focus on golf today.

"Of course, all of us involved in the tournament express our deepest sympathies to the family of the man who passed away in the earlier accident this morning. It truly puts everything in perspective."

I guess I don't really "blame" either side.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,376

Post#569 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 17, 2024 6:19 pm

Holy hell that Diddy footage...
Dick Tate
Veteran
And1: 1,983

Post#570 » by Dick Tate » Fri May 17, 2024 6:24 pm

At one point, an officer attached himself to the side of Scheffler's car.

Attached? :confused:
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#571 » by MikeIsGood » Sat May 18, 2024 2:30 am

Acknowledging fully that this is both a really difficult (someone died in an early accident) and odd (I mean...come on) situation, this reads as comedy. It's just SO strange.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/40167005/scottie-scheffler-cards-66-pga-championship-jail-trip
Scheffler said he was in shock and "pretty rattled" after he was arrested, asking the police officer who drove him to the jail if they could sit in the car and speak so he could calm down.

"I was shaking the whole time," Scheffler said. "I was shaking for like an hour."

Once inside the jail, Scheffler said the process of getting him booked in the system took on a different tone. One of the police officers, once they figured out who he was, asked him if he wanted "the full experience" and offered him a sandwich to eat. Scheffler, who said he hadn't eaten breakfast yet, took it.

Scheffler was then booked into the jail, his mug shot was snapped and he was placed in what he described as a holding cell. Unsure if he would be released or able to make his tee time, Scheffler went into warmup mode.

"I did spend some time stretching in a jail cell," Scheffler said. "That was a first for me. That was part of my warmup. I was just sitting there waiting and I started going through my warmup."

Eventually, Scheffler explained, a police officer knocked on the window of his cell and told him it was time to go.

"I didn't really feel like I would make my tee time until [then]," Scheffler said. "I didn't really know what was going on out there."

After being released, Scheffler said his manager asked if he still wanted to play. Scheffler did not hesitate.

"When they took me out and we got in the car on the way here, I figured I was ready to play," Scheffler said. "My manager asked me if I wanted to, and I was like, of course."

Scheffler was released from jail at 8:40 a.m. ET. He arrived at Valhalla at 9:12 a.m., less than an hour before his 10:08 tee time. He hugged his parents and went into the locker room to change.

After spending some time in the clubhouse, Scheffler made a beeline for the range, where he went through an abbreviated warmup session. With a throng of fans and reporters watching his every move, Scheffler appeared at ease, smiling even, as he talked with his caddie, Ted Scott, and swing coach, Randy Smith. He hit exactly one bunker shot and putted for a few minutes before heading to the 10th tee, where the gallery of fans immediately began chanting his name.

"Obviously I didn't have my normal warmup and I usually stick to my routine," Scheffler said. "I'm a big routine guy, especially when it comes to my preparation. But it took a few holes to settle in. It probably took a few holes to feel normal."
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,166

Post#572 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sat May 18, 2024 9:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Holy hell that Diddy footage...

Even silver might have given him a 30 game suspension for that one.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,778

Post#573 » by chonestown » Sat May 18, 2024 11:47 pm

Usyk baby.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#574 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 19, 2024 7:09 pm

Two game sevens, a loaded PGA Championship leaderboard, and the Brewers (off to a poor start). Big sports day.

At the PGA, really pulling for Xander to finally close the deal. Morikawa is also one of my favorites; Hovland, Theegala, Lowry also there and I could get behind that. Rose hasn't done anything in a while and he'd be fine. Just not Bryson, please.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#575 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 19, 2024 7:44 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Two game sevens, a loaded PGA Championship leaderboard, and the Brewers (off to a poor start). Big sports day.

At the PGA, really pulling for Xander to finally close the deal. Morikawa is also one of my favorites; Hovland, Theegala, Lowry also there and I could get behind that. Rose hasn't done anything in a while and he'd be fine. Just not Bryson, please.

PGA is great, leaderboard is stacked.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#576 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 19, 2024 10:40 pm

MF has to make everything dramatic. Come on, Xander.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,376

Post#577 » by ReasonablySober » Sun May 19, 2024 10:54 pm

Hooo that was close. Good for him.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#578 » by MickeyDavis » Sun May 19, 2024 10:54 pm

Great finish
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#579 » by MikeIsGood » Sun May 19, 2024 10:55 pm

So damn happy for him.
jschligs
General Manager

Post#580 » by jschligs » Sun May 19, 2024 11:38 pm

A good flank steak is just incredible. Hard to beat for the price.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks