OT - Videogames thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReddRum
Veteran
And1: 465
Location: Waiting for a superstar to awaken the city of Milwaukee

Re: OT - Videogames thread 

Post#2241 » by ReddRum » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:45 pm

Bobby Light - I just read a couple of days ago that script was found for Fallout 4 and it would take place in Boston. Not 100% verified yet that its happening but I can't see them not making another Fallout after the great success of the first 3... My guess is it wouldn't come out until 2016 though.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:Big baby ass Derozan tosses the ball in the stands and gets and gets his sorry a-- tossed. Cross him off our list of players to target.

Ejected with only two games left in your season.What immature nut...Grow up and just play.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,115

Post#2242 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Common thread among most of the games I've really enjoyed over the last couple years: graphics really mean dick. I watched the six or seven minute gameplay trailer for the new AC: Unity game, and my first thought was, "Great. Same old AC. Now do something new and original." Polishing up the same ideas with a new coat of paint does nothing to impress me.

Another thing that I think is really sorely missing in videogames right now, especially considering how much they spend making AAA games is good writing. The review of "Grand Theft Auto IV" on IGN calls it an "Oscar Caliber Story." Verbatim. Of course I knew this was probably hyperbole but it caught my attention and was such a huge disappointment in that regard.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#2243 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:57 pm

ReddRum wrote:Bobby Light - I just read a couple of days ago that script was found for Fallout 4 and it would take place in Boston. Not 100% verified yet that its happening but I can't see them not making another Fallout after the great success of the first 3... My guess is it wouldn't come out until 2016 though.

I also saw a trailer for The Last Guardian in 2009. We all know how that goes.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#2244 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:07 pm

People have been calling for Nintendo to pull out of the hardware business since the release of the N64, it is laughable. People always make this suggestion and claim to not be haters yet make it after every generation of consoles launch.

And sure they rehash the same characters but they are rarely the same gameplay.

I'll take a fun Nintendo game over 99% of the garbage that is released on other consoles. I haven't touched my 360 in probably 3 or 4 years and my PS3 is mostly a blu-ray player, though I have been playing through FFX HD lately.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#2245 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:18 pm

FrieAaron wrote:There's very little originality in video games period, with the exception of indie games. I don't know how you can say Nintendo is the most stagnant of the big three, though. Whether or not you think it was casual Wii Sports was a completely new experience and a major game changer. And also a lot of fun. It may not be an incredibly deep gaming experience, but I'll remember the first time I played Wii Sports better than any other game of that generation across the different consoles. The Mario Galaxy series also feels quite unique among the 3D platforming genre. They've also been developing games for dual screens since the original Nintendo DS, so I don't see how you can claim the gamepad is unoriginal because the PS had been already doing it.

Regardless of whether or not any of their games are any more original than other AAA games though (Splatoons acutally looks like it could be a breath of fresh air and quite fun), I primarily play Nintendo games on console because they're just always fun. I could care less that it's the same character I've seen before because their games are always about the gameplay above all else and they almost always deliver in that regard.

The Wii U bashing reminds me a lot of the people who were gleefully exclaiming that the 3DS was a massive failure and would mark the beginning of the end for Nintendo. Fast forward 3 years and now look where it's at. Prior to the release of Mario Kart 8 Polygon predicted Nintendo would sell 1.99 Million units of the game by March of next year. The game sold 1.2 million copies it's first week and led to a 489% bump in Wii U sales globally. We'll see how close to Nintendo is out of the hardware game after the new Zelda, Smash Brothers and Starfox games are released.

I agree that there is very little innovation in the industry and that was my point on all these consoles. The reason I still haven't gotten one (but I know I will).

Pointing to something Nintendo did with the Wii almost a decade ago doesn't speak to their current status. They are stuck in the past when it comes to online distribution as well as online game play. The only thing keeping them afloat is their rehashing of old brands over and over again. It's a great console for single player games (and I understand it has some multiplayer) but we aren't really in a single player world anymore.

I'm not just saying that because I love detahmatch (I HATE competitive online) but some of the co-op experiences I've had the past gen were really fun.

I'm not even bashing the WiiU, I'm just calling it what it is. An under-powered system with a 2nd screen peripheral, a handful of great first part games and terrible third party support. The Bone/PS4 are more powerful consoles rehashing the same generic games of last gen, with a handful of great games. Thankfully, they've both taken to indies (another thing support is lacking for on the WiiU) which means you get an opportunity for more gameplay experiences than will ever be possible on the WiiU.

I still think the WiiU is very well worth owning for Nintendo fans who love their first party games. I'm not one of those people anymore because they bored me last gen and I have much more opportunity with a PS4 for different games than I will ever with the WiiU. That's all it is to me. If we're going by sales figures, WiiU is beating Xbone but PS4 has about 1.8mil more in sales. That's honestly pathetic for a console that had a year + head start. No one should point to console sales now or in the future when trying to defend that console. Nintendo themselves have admitted how poorly it's done.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/04/iwata-admi ... y-failure/

I also have to take back that comment about Nintendo going third party. I completely forgot their dominance in the handheld market which is well deserved. That's just not a space I think of often, but I know it's huge.

chuckleslove wrote:People have been calling for Nintendo to pull out of the hardware business since the release of the N64, it is laughable. People always make this suggestion and claim to not be haters yet make it after every generation of consoles launch.

And sure they rehash the same characters but they are rarely the same gameplay.

I'll take a fun Nintendo game over 99% of the garbage that is released on other consoles. I haven't touched my 360 in probably 3 or 4 years and my PS3 is mostly a blu-ray player, though I have been playing through FFX HD lately.

I hope people understand I am not trying to convince anyone against a WiiU or Nintendo. I am a big fan of people doing what's fun for them. My perspective is that Nintendo is living off what they did years ago and they've lost my interest.

There's a ton of crap on the other consoles, but for every 10 bad, generic games you see, there's one fantastic one worth playing. Same with the WiiU, I assume.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#2246 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:38 pm

Yeah, if you don't like their games you don't like their games. My main point was that if the past has taught us anything it's that consoles can pretty much always bounce back (though that's not to say they will). The 3Ds launch was considered just as disappointing.
BobbyLight
RealGM

Post#2247 » by BobbyLight » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:58 pm

Very true. Hell, the PS3 launch (and even 2 years after) was horrible. By the end of last gen they closed the gap.

If I ever owned a non-Sony console again, it would be whatever Nintendo had. I just don't have time for 2 consoles and since Nintendo really didn't reach me last gen, they just haven't shown or down anything to sway me back to them.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#2248 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Hey you don't enjoy their games that is fine, they certainly aren't for everyone. I just think a lot of your criticisms are unfounded, now coming from a personal standpoint fine, but they still have a fairly broad appeal. Also criticizing console hardware is a joke considering a PC will destroy every console on the market now and forever.

Fun trumps all, and Nintendo still knows how to do that.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#2249 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:16 pm

chuckleslove wrote:Hey you don't enjoy their games that is fine, they certainly aren't for everyone. I just think a lot of your criticisms are unfounded, now coming from a personal standpoint fine, but they still have a fairly broad appeal. Also criticizing console hardware is a joke considering a PC will destroy every console on the market now and forever.

Yes, I've found a large amount of PC gamers (which is where I fall) are also Nintendo fans when it comes to consoles. For me personally, I think that's because I prefer to play more hardcore games (FPS, RTS, MMO) on the PC and Nintendo's games I think have the most unique gaming options for games that are really built for consoles. There are of course great platformer and action games on the other consoles as well but the PC and Nintendo combination seems to give me the greatest coverage of games. That said, I'll still potentially buy a PS4 if there are enough games I'm interested to warrant it. I did end up getting a PS3 after it came out.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#2250 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:Hey you don't enjoy their games that is fine, they certainly aren't for everyone. I just think a lot of your criticisms are unfounded, now coming from a personal standpoint fine, but they still have a fairly broad appeal. Also criticizing console hardware is a joke considering a PC will destroy every console on the market now and forever.

Yes, I've found a large amount of PC gamers (which is where I fall) are also Nintendo fans when it comes to consoles. For me personally, I think that's because I prefer to play more hardcore games (FPS, RTS, MMO) on the PC and Nintendo's games I think have the most unique gaming options for games that are really built for consoles. There are of course great platformer and action games on the other consoles as well but the PC and Nintendo combination seems to give me the greatest coverage of games. That said, I'll still potentially buy a PS4 if there are enough games I'm interested to warrant it. I did end up getting a PS3 after it came out.

This is exactly where I'm at. My gaming experience lately has been MK8 and DKCTF on the Wii-U, WoW, Hearthstone and a tiny bit of D3 and an even smaller amount of the Heroes of the Storm alpha on the PC, and FFX HD on my PS3 for a little throwback gaming action.

I swear I don't only play Blizzard games :P They are just what I'm currently playing so it looks that way!

I loathe FPS games on consoles, the only ones I've ever enjoyed were Goldeneye and Perfect Dark and that was before I really got in to the PC side of gaming so I didn't appreciate how much better FPS games were on the PC.
Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Post#2251 » by Allanon23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Bah, FFX hardly counts as throwback gaming. That game was made at the end of the golden age of jrpgs. Early 1990's games or bust :D

I'm finishing a lets play of Sorcerer's Kingdom for the genesis. Next week I'll start Arc the Lad:Twilight of the Spirits. Otherwise, I'm playing Hearthstone, some D3, and some Path of Exile (new 4 month leagues start in early July, so hyped!)
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#2252 » by Newz » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:26 pm

Allanon23 wrote:Bah, FFX hardly counts as throwback gaming. That game was made at the end of the golden age of jrpgs. Early 1990's games or bust :D

I'm finishing a lets play of Sorcerer's Kingdom for the genesis. Next week I'll start Arc the Lad:Twilight of the Spirits. Otherwise, I'm playing Hearthstone, some D3, and some Path of Exile (new 4 month leagues start in early July, so hyped!)

Path of Exile is a pretty awesome game. If you could take all of the mechanics, loot, skills, etc. from PoE and pair it with the incredibly smooth combat of Diablo 3... you'd have the best dungeon crawler ever made.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#2253 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Allanon23 wrote:Bah, FFX hardly counts as throwback gaming. That game was made at the end of the golden age of jrpgs. Early 1990's games or bust :D

I agree it isn't really throwback gaming but it is the oldest thing I'm currently playing. I couldn't get in to Path of Exile though it did a lot of things right. I am due to start my annual play through of FF VI soon, I still think VII is seriously overrated, good game but all the fanbois have made me dislike it more than I should sadly and VI is my favorite.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#2254 » by jr lucosa » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:30 pm

BobbyLight wrote:Thankfully, they've both taken to indies (another thing support is lacking for on the WiiU) which means you get an opportunity for more gameplay experiences than will ever be possible on the WiiU.

That's really not true at all. There's tons of indie games on the Wii U, and more coming out all the time.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/w ... ing-games/
BuckHole
Veteran
And1: 1,004

Post#2255 » by BuckHole » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Has anyone here turned their Wii into a MAME?
I admit to being a terrible judge of talent and having minimal knowledge of the game of basketball.
AKA Da Thread Killa
Allanon23
Senior

Post#2256 » by Allanon23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:01 pm

chuckleslove wrote:

I agree it isn't really throwback gaming but it is the oldest thing I'm currently playing. I couldn't get in to Path of Exile though it did a lot of things right. I am due to start my annual play through of FF VI soon, I still think VII is seriously overrated, good game but all the fanbois have made me dislike it more than I should sadly and VI is my favorite.

Heh, I share your thoughts on FFVI and FFVII. FFVI is, imo, the best jrpg ever made and might be my favorite game ever. I also do an annual run through FFVI (as well as FFIV and FFIX). I used to think FFVII was one of the worst games in the series, but every game after X has been a complete disaster. So now I look on VII more fondly.

I agree with Newz. If the combat in PoE was as smooth as D3 it would easily be the best game in its genre. The replayability, depth, and end game are without peer.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#2257 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 pm

I think XIII got a pretty bum rap. Other than the ridiculously long intro I enjoyed the gameplay once you got in to the meat of the game, but I think XII was terrible and I don't think XI And XIV should have been given part of the numbered series should have been called online.

VI is my favorite followed fairly closely by IV and V. I think had V come out in the US when it initially launched I would look back on it more fondly since it is really good but I didn't get to play it until many years later.
FrieAaron
General Manager

Post#2258 » by FrieAaron » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm

I would go:
VIII (I'm the odd duck who loves this game)
VI
X
VII, IX

Like all of those, though. It's been too long since I've played the ones prior to VI. Liked both XI and XIV a lot but it's not really fair to compare those.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#2259 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:34 pm

I actually enjoy the vast majority of VIII too, one of the best soundtracks, great graphics for its time and I loved the draw system, the only complain I had about VIII was the story was a tiny bit convoluted and when you cast spells that you have augmented to your stats you could lower your power mid fight. Other than that it was a pretty damn solid game.
Allanon23
Senior

Post#2260 » by Allanon23 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:38 pm

I had a lot of problems with XIII. You don't leave the hallway of death for like 15 hours, the game basically plays itself (auto-battle ftl), the characters were almost all terrible, and I thought the plot was awful. If it was just one game, I wouldn't despise it as much as I do. But no, they had to go and make two sequels. Two.

But who knows, 10 years from now when SE is releasing FF 22 I might look back on XIII a little kinder. My top 5 are FFVI, FFIV, FFIX, FFV, and FFX. X had the best battle system in the series imo, so despite the awful characters and meh plot I enjoyed the game.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks