OT - Videogames thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

OT - Videogames thread 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:30 am

Anyone played anything that's tickled their fancy lately? I try many but I don't stick around and really give most a shot. Of the games I've played this year Red Dead Redemption is probably my favorite, though once you complete it the missions are repetitive and the multiplayer sucks. Assassin's Creed II was a recent obsession of mine. I hate the new Madden. I gave Dead Space a shot last weekend but decided a potential heart attack wasn't for me.

Really, I just made this thread to pimp Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

In the last few months I've been on a retro side-scrolling beat 'em up kick. Double Dragon, Super Double Dragon, Knights of the Round, River City Ransom, Final Fight, etc. SPVTW is all the best of those games and more. I've been playing it for an hour and I already know it's gonna be an all-time favorite. The leveling up is great, the local multiplayer is awesome, the RPG elements are cool and the animations are awesome. I LOVE the difficulty.

If you liked classic Nintendo beat 'em ups, you gotta have this game.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Re: OT - Videogames thread 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:35 am

My son got the new Madden today for 360, haven't got any feedback from him. I still enjoy Galaga. and Donky Kong.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Post#3 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:36 am

FIFA 11 is going to be great. I thought FIFA 10 was fantastic and this years is supposed to be even more fluid and real game like.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#4 » by Captain Erv » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 am

I'll probably pick up Madden this weekend. Anyone have it yet? I'm guessing the usual "it's better than last year, but could be better with some competition."
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#5 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:41 am

Dragon Age: Origins is awesome for the PC as is Mass Effect 2 (incredible game, completed it 4 different times with 4 different builds at 40+ hours apiece).

For a complete change of pace I recommend the strategy game Victoria 2 coming out from Paradox (small publisher) within a few days. They make great games. Europa Universallis 3 with all the expansions is probably my favorite game of all time. It is extremely deep and takes place within a fascinating time period. I can't recommend their games enough. Eye candy isn't the name of the game, but it is damn satisfying to take over the world as a small Italian minor or as someone as Denmark in the 1500's.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#6 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 am

MickeyDavis wrote:My son got the new Madden today for 360, haven't got any feedback from him. I still enjoy Galaga. and Donky Kong.

Ever seen The King of Kong?
bogut6
Veteran
And1: 3
Location: Being either slightly below or slightly above average.

Post#7 » by bogut6 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 am

Captain Erv wrote:I'll probably pick up Madden this weekend. Anyone have it yet? I'm guessing the usual "it's better than last year, but could be better with some competition."

The new gameflow thing is really cool - rather than just picking random plays all the time, the coach picks them for you according to time/place/score/downs...speeds things up so much (especially in multiplayer).

Everything else is pretty much the same. Superstar mode is like identical to last year. Franchise mode is cool once again, but not very different. New commentary > old commentary. Umm, not much else really :/

AgainstMe! wrote:FIFA 11 is going to be great. I thought FIFA 10 was fantastic and this years is supposed to be even more fluid and real game like.

Mannnnnnn! Cant wait for FIFA11 so bad. The biggest thing they are changing is that "ping-pong" passing, where you could just hit pass like 5 times in a row and end up from your defensive line up to half way without any trouble - now its actually more realistic, and the pass execution is really dependant on how good the players are (finally!).
Ayt
RealGM

Post#8 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:34 am

Anyone here ever play Football Manager for the PC? I've literally spent days playing that damn game. It was hilarious watching the World Cup because I recognized so many names simply from that game.
bogut6
Veteran

Post#9 » by bogut6 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlfVHkLZTU[/youtube]
tyland
Veteran
And1: 422

Post#10 » by tyland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:25 am

Ayt wrote:Anyone here ever play Football Manager for the PC? I've literally spent days playing that damn game. It was hilarious watching the World Cup because I recognized so many names simply from that game.

Yes. Most addictive game ever. Used to play it heaps, but have managed to ease off it to the extent I haven't played for several months now and it doesn't stress me out (slight exaggeration). But honestly, once you get your head around the game and the control you have, it is really hard to stop playing it.

I always played what is called the LLAMA approach, which is where you manage a team from the lowest playable division in a country and try and make your way upwards. Absolute realism applies, so anything that a normal manager wouldn't so in real life you have to avoid (as much as possible). It can take some time (read hours and hours of gameplay) to get the team from the bottom rung up into the higher divisions, but it is awesome when things start to click or you find a gem player who transforms your team. The official FM forums have an entire sub-forum dedicated to this style of play and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and is patient.

Recently I uninstalled FM from my mac as it was too much of a distraction. But after uni finished for the semester going to get the latest edition and become re-addicted.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Twitter: @thetytimes
tyland
Veteran

Post#11 » by tyland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 am

bogut6 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlfVHkLZTU[/youtube]

So it is essentially a rip-off of 2k's My Player or whatever that was called.

Also looks exactly the same as Be A Pro Mode on Fifa since about 2008.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Ayt
RealGM

Post#12 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:30 am

tyland wrote:
Ayt wrote:Anyone here ever play Football Manager for the PC? I've literally spent days playing that damn game. It was hilarious watching the World Cup because I recognized so many names simply from that game.

Yes. Most addictive game ever. Used to play it heaps, but have managed to ease off it to the extent I haven't played for several months now and it doesn't stress me out (slight exaggeration). But honestly, once you get your head around the game and the control you have, it is really hard to stop playing it.

I always played what is called the LLAMA approach, which is where you manage a team from the lowest playable division in a country and try and make your way upwards. Absolute realism applies, so anything that a normal manager wouldn't so in real life you have to avoid (as much as possible). It can take some time (read hours and hours of gameplay) to get the team from the bottom rung up into the higher divisions, but it is awesome when things start to click or you find a gem player who transforms your team. The official FM forums have an entire sub-forum dedicated to this style of play and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a challenge and is patient.

Recently I uninstalled FM from my mac as it was too much of a distraction. But after uni finished for the semester going to get the latest edition and become re-addicted.

I did the LLAMA as well, tyland. Funny there are two of us on here. FC United FTW. It's funny to think of your team as a bunch of part-time beer leaguers. Actually, I did the dafuge challenge (if you know what that is). The new one is most likely out in October-November. I probably spent 200 hours on FM 2010. I'm so pathetic. :beer: It's fun as hell, but you can just spend hours looking for one free transfer whose contract is up that may put you over the top. Crazy.

There is a new video out from the lead designer explaining some of the main additions here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQsD4jPScU

I need to stay away from 2010 until the new one comes out. When the new one does come out, I need to play one save because if I play more than one I spend a ridiculous amount of time playing the game. The new additions look great, BTW. Hopefully the tactic creator gets plenty of tweaks as well.

I think I spent 300+ hours on FM2010. That makes me want to barf. Just think if I'd played poker at $30 instead. :)
tyland
Veteran

Post#13 » by tyland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:43 am

Ayt wrote:
tyland wrote:

I did the LLAMA as well, tyland. Funny there are two of us on here. FC United FTW. It's funny to think of your team as a bunch of part-time beer leaguers. Actually, I did the dafuge challenge (if you know what that is). The new one is most likely out in October-November. I probably spent 200 hours on FM 2010. I'm so pathetic. :beer: It's fun as hell, but you can just spend hours looking for one free transfer whose contract is up that may put you over the top. Crazy.

There is a new video out from the lead designer explaining some of the main additions here.

I need to stay away from 2010 until the new one comes out. When the new one does come out, I need to play one save because if I play more than one I spend a ridiculous amount of time playing the game. The new additions look great, BTW. Hopefully the tactic creator gets plenty of tweaks as well.

I think I spent 300+ hours on FM2010. That makes me want to barf. Just think if I'd played poker at $30 instead. :)

My macbook is quite old, so I haven't played anything past FM2008. Hence I haven't even touched the 3d engine. But just got a new iMac which should be able to handle the next 5+ FM games. I don't want to know how many hours I have played on FM over the years. Kinda sad, but it is so damn addictive. You just get caught up so easily. I remember how estatic I was when my **** Swedish Division 4 team was promoted the first time. I also remember some massive losses that ruined my mode for several days.

Did you know there is FM for Iphone as well. If you have an Iphone, it may be worth checking out. I play it on occasion while commuting on the train to work. Really good version, better than what you would expect for an Iphone game.
SAVE OUR BUCKS
Ayt
RealGM

Post#14 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:45 am

BTW, to all reading this, if you have any interest in history or strategy I strongly suggest you check out Paradox.com. I'm not a shill for them, but I like to see smaller companies prosper for making good products.

This is the third expansion pack, but it's so awesome it deserves promotion wherever it can get it. This is seriously an awesome strategy game, and you can pick anyone on the globe to try to build into a regional or global empire.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/eur ... Btitle%3B1

http://www.amazon.com/Europa-Universali ... B001EK7S82

You can buy the complete version at Amazon for nothing. Seriously, at this price it is worth it just for the medieval geography lesson alone.
bogut6
Veteran

Post#15 » by bogut6 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:49 am

tyland wrote:
bogut6 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qlfVHkLZTU[/youtube]

So it is essentially a rip-off of 2k's My Player or whatever that was called.

Also looks exactly the same as Be A Pro Mode on Fifa since about 2008.

No wayyyy man. They are based on the same concept, but 2k's My Player thoroughly sucked - once you finished the first season you get hit by the duplicate clone bug...not to mention the games take way too long, and get massively repetitive. I can't be sure from this video (and the other one relating to this mode, but it looks a hell of a lot better - that achievement screen thing looked cool. I hope its good :D

I hope 2k and Elite are both awesome this year. I have a good feeling about Elite that I have never had about Live... :D
Ayt
RealGM

Post#16 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:54 am

tyland wrote:
Ayt wrote:
tyland wrote:Yes. Most addictive game ever. Used to play it heaps, but have managed to ease off it to the extent I haven't played for several months now and it doesn't stress me out (slight exaggeration). But honestly, once you get your head around the game and the control you have, it is really hard to stop playing it.

My macbook is quite old, so I haven't played anything past FM2008. Hence I haven't even touched the 3d engine. But just got a new iMac which should be able to handle the next 5+ FM games. I don't want to know how many hours I have played on FM over the years. Kinda sad, but it is so damn addictive. You just get caught up so easily. I remember how estatic I was when my **** Swedish Division 4 team was promoted the first time. I also remember some massive losses that ruined my mode for several days.

Did you know there is FM for Iphone as well. If you have an Iphone, it may be worth checking out. I play it on occasion while commuting on the train to work. Really good version, better than what you would expect for an Iphone game.

The new one is sweet man, if you have PC that can handle it. The tactic creator is awesome and the transfer system is better, IMO. Even if you can only run it in 2D, it is worth it because it runs better and the AI on the pitch is so much better. They took a huge step up with the tactic creator and the on the field AI. The difference is massive. Players do so much more on there own, but still within the boundaries you set tactically. MCs cut into the box if needed, and AML or AMR will definitely cut in if told to do so. I play a straight up 4-4-2, but my outside midfielders will cut inside into the box if they think it is the current play. The 4-4-2 seems almost overpowered with the wingers and fullbacks playing the way they do. Of course, I have the right players for the formation, so it looks great to me.

In the past you could download a tactic that could exploit the weakness of the AI, but no more. Now you need balance between attack and defense. It's really a much better game, though you can still exploit it if you know what you are doing. Dowloading a "win all" tactic won't work compared to the info you could get from the tactics forum, or from me if I may be so humble.

Id highly recommend getting the new one if you didn't play FM2010. The changes are drastic.

If you watch the new video you'll see they added dynamic divisions, which wasn't in previous FM's. I prefer to play in England, but it is still good to know other leagues could become 5 star and drop me down if it comes to that.

Anyway, I'd strongly recommend keeping track of what they are doing because for me FM2010 was a big step up and it seems like FM2011 could be another. They are feeling the heat from EA and CM, IMO, which is great.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#17 » by ACGB » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:01 am

I passed on Madden because of Halo Reach coming soon.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ayt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:03 am

tyland, if you do buy FM2011 I'd like to hear your thoughts. I don't know many US players

PS Screw Halo Reach :wink:

PSS Madden blows. NCAA is a much better game.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#19 » by Aaron It Out » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:08 am

I got Madden like I do every year. Honestly it kind of feels like a downgrade from last year. It's still good and everything but they made huge changes in things that didn't need to be changed. I was hoping they'd address Franchise mode but its literally exactly the same as it was last year. Maybe I'm wrong but franchise is arguably the most played game mode in the game. It's definitely all I do. Unless I'm playing against someone else, a game that's not in a certain week of the season or has no meaning just isn't fun to me.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
tyland
Veteran

Post#20 » by tyland » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:09 am

Ayt wrote:
tyland wrote:

The new one is sweet man, if you have PC that can handle it. The tactic creator is awesome and the transfer system is better, IMO. Even if you can only run it in 2D, it is worth it because it runs better and the AI on the pitch is so much better. They took a huge step up with the tactic creator and the on the field AI. The difference is massive. Players do so much more on there own, but still within the boundaries you set tactically. MCs cut into the box if needed, and AML or AMR will definitely cut in if told to do so. I play a straight up 4-4-2, but my outside midfielders will cut inside into the box if they think it is the current play. The 4-4-2 seems almost overpowered with the wingers and fullbacks playing the way they do. Of course, I have the right players for the formation, so it looks great to me.

In the past you could download a tactic that could exploit the weakness of the AI, but no more. Now you need balance between attack and defense. It's really a much better game, though you can still exploit it if you know what you are doing. Dowloading a "win all" tactic won't work compared to the info you could get from the tactics forum, or from me if I may be so humble.

Id highly recommend getting the new one if you didn't play FM2010. The changes are drastic.

If you watch the new video you'll see they added dynamic divisions, which wasn't in previous FM's. I prefer to play in England, but it is still good to know other leagues could become 5 star and drop me down if it comes to that.

Anyway, I'd strongly recommend keeping track of what they are doing because for me FM2010 was a big step up and it seems like FM2011 could be another. They are feeling the heat from EA and CM, IMO, which is great.

Will definitely be getting FM2011 when it comes out. The new computer will well and truly handle it. The tactic creator sounds very interesting, will have to do some research on that before I promise too much to the Chairman of the Team's board.

I often play in the UK, but my favourite is Sweden. I lived their for a while and am always looking to go back in visit. Playing FM based there feels right for some reason and I normally have the most success there.

I never really followed or understood football before playing FM, so my knowledge of the sport has come from this game. The new tactics creator may be a bit of a hurdle at first, but it should give me a better understanding of the game.

Talking about LLAMA games again, there was a mod on the FM forums that had a save that went over 100 seasons. He would play a manager until about 70yo, then start from scratch at the bottom with his virtual son. Awesome read!
SAVE OUR BUCKS

Return to Milwaukee Bucks