ImageImage

OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Re: OT: Milwaukee Restaurant/Food/Beer/Entertainment Discussion 

Post#1781 » by BUCKnation » Wed May 13, 2015 11:40 pm

Had a glass of Weihenstaphaner Vitus at Cooper's Tavern in Madison during the champions league game today. Probably my new favorite beer.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#1782 » by vital_signs » Thu May 14, 2015 1:13 am

I'll admit my drunk food tastes probably dont bode well with others. If I'm on water street in EC, a rarity these days, you can find me grabbing a meat stromboli, some cheese curds, and garlic bread from New York Pizza & Deli. I'll give Ians another shot if ever back in Madison and wasted, another rarity.
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,028

Post#1783 » by humanrefutation » Thu May 14, 2015 2:28 am

I know this is a Milwaukee thread, but since I've moved back to Madison about five weeks ago, I've gone to Ha Long Bay four times. That place is so damn good.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,144

Post#1784 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu May 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Had Ian's for the first time SOBER last night. Never again.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#1785 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu May 14, 2015 3:25 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Had Ian's for the first time SOBER last night. Never again.

My jaws literally hurt if I eat two pieces of Ians. The crust is so rubbery.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#1786 » by Newz » Thu May 14, 2015 3:28 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:Had Ian's for the first time SOBER last night. Never again.

My jaws literally hurt if I eat two pieces of Ians. The crust is so rubbery.

Ian's and Brick Three are both pretty poopy. They taste decent when intoxicated though.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,658

Post#1787 » by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Anything tastes pretty good once you're intoxicated.

General rule of thumb, if you're eating Ian's or Taco Bell before 7pm, you've pretty much already given up on yourself for the day.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#1788 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu May 14, 2015 6:21 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Anything tastes pretty good once you're intoxicated.

General rule of thumb, if you're eating Ian's or Taco Bell before 7pm, you've pretty much already given up on yourself for the day.

I love everything about Taco Bell. And overall I consider myself a very healthy eater. But every time I laugh hysterically at one of their stupid commercials I tell my wife, "Taco Bell just earned another $7 from our family." She's gets disgusted. I laugh even harder. During the work week, I have to run errands to the bank, post office, and a couple other places. There is a Taco Bell right around the corner from our bank. More than once my mouth has started to water when I get in the general vicinity. Its disgusting. I feel horrible about myself the minute I take the last bite. And the rest of the day. But the 20 minutes prior? Pure bliss.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1789 » by Ill-yasova » Thu May 14, 2015 7:22 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:

I love everything about Taco Bell. And overall I consider myself a very healthy eater. But every time I laugh hysterically at one of their stupid commercials I tell my wife, "Taco Bell just earned another $7 from our family." She's gets disgusted. I laugh even harder. During the work week, I have to run errands to the bank, post office, and a couple other places. There is a Taco Bell right around the corner from our bank. More than once my mouth has started to water when I get in the general vicinity. Its disgusting. I feel horrible about myself the minute I take the last bite. And the rest of the day. But the 20 minutes prior? Pure bliss.

Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Chicken Quesadilla :( . I only order it once every couple weeks or so, but the anticipation beforehand and the shame and disgust afterwards always balance out pretty well.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#1790 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu May 14, 2015 9:02 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:

Cheesy Gordita Crunch and a Chicken Quesadilla :( . I only order it once every couple weeks or so, but the anticipation beforehand and the shame and disgust afterwards always balance out pretty well.

:D

I go 2- Cheesy Gordita Crunches, a nachos, and a medium Pepsi... every. single. time. I probably hit Taco Bell once every two weeks as well.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,658

Post#1791 » by Matches Malone » Fri May 15, 2015 8:49 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:

:D

I go 2- Cheesy Gordita Crunches, a nachos, and a medium Pepsi... every. single. time. I probably hit Taco Bell once every two weeks as well.

I once had a buddy during our sophmore year of college order the entire menu at taco bell, one item at a time. I then proceeded to watch him eat every bit. He's not big either. He was bloated but didn't get sick. I was in aw. Lots of booze and green were involved so maybe that helped him lol.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#1792 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri May 15, 2015 9:01 pm

I hope you guys saw this.

If not, take a look, it's hilarious.

"What constitutes a hero?"

[tweet]https://twitter.com/milwaukeerecord/status/598872375652950016[/tweet]
wapith
Junior
And1: 164

Post#1793 » by wapith » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 pm

The downtown/eastside area is severely lacking a Taco Bell. Running joke among my friends is that we should open one up together.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1794 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jun 2, 2015 1:37 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mkediner/status/605728601699418112[/tweet]

Woot!

Ready ahead of schedule, the second location of Pizza Man — at the Mayfair Collection, 11500 W. Burleigh Road — will open its doors to the public Thursday.

The official opening date is next Monday, said general manager Sarah Baker, but after a few days of friends-and-family events, the popular east side institution is ready for its west side debut; it will announce the Thursday soft opening to its 21,000 Facebook fans.

Pizza Man, which opened more than 40 years ago at E. North and N. Oakland avenues, has come a long way since that location was leveled by fire in 2010. Owner Mike Amidzich opened a new Pizza Man, a two-story restaurant at 2597 N. Downer Ave., in summer 2013, and now is opening the second one at the Mayfair Collection, a mixed-use development that includes Nordstrom Rack and other stores. The Tosa restaurant will seat nearly 300 guests.

Pizza Man is in the Mayfair Collection's first phase; work on a second phase is under way.

The Wauwatosa restaurant and wine bar, like the Downer Ave. restaurant, was designed by the Milwaukee architecture firm Rinka Chung.

With the various rooms and levels to the restaurant, Baker said, "It really does have that cozy, intimate feel that harkens back to North and Oakland."

There's a bar area, which includes six-person booths and several communal tables; a four-season atrium that seats 45 people and can be sectioned off with garage doors for private events; a fireplace room for about 40 with a 90-inch television that can be used for presentations and has Apple TV; and a wine room with a projector and retractable screen that can hold up to 25 people.

Then there's the mezzanine, the second-floor seating that looks out over the first floor.

One of the east side Pizza Man's most striking features is its huge chandelier made of wine bottles. The Wauwatosa restaurant has four, Baker said, and the bottles are mirrored, appearing almost metallic. Three hang in the bar, and a fourth, larger one hangs in the stairwell to the mezzanine.

The bar will have a somewhat smaller wine list to begin with, Baker said, but it will have 12 wines on tap — eight reds and four whites (Pizza Man on Downer has eight wine taps).

The menu will be the same at the two locations; a new menu was launched recently, Baker said, that lists all pizzas on one sheet and the rest of the menu on a second. It has some new pastas and salads, and now has four bases for the pizzas: the classic red sauce; a lighter sauce made from San Marzano tomatoes; pesto; and a garlic sauce. Besides the traditional thin crust, a pan pizza with a thicker crust now is on the regular menu.

The executive chef for both restaurants is Zak Baker, Sarah Baker's husband.

Wauwatosa's Pizza Man will be open the same hours and serve the same menu as on the east side, except that brunch will be served both Saturday and Sunday, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. (It's served Sundays only on Downer.)

Hours will be 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Newz
Banned User

Post#1795 » by Newz » Tue Jun 2, 2015 1:38 pm

Pizza Man is pretty good.

'The Topher' is the only thing I have had from there that really stood out though. That thing is like a jalapeno popper pizza... which is redonk.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#1796 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jun 2, 2015 1:45 pm

used to go to the original Pizza Man all the time when I lived on the East side. Aside from the great food they have a huge wine selection served by the glass, the owner used to hang out in the bar and if he overheard any conversation about wine he would dive in and have samples of some of his favorites brought over for you to try. Good restaurants are so hard to find now that I live in chainville so I am constantly invading Tosa and this will be one more great reason to cross the border.

Spoiler:

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM

Post#1797 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Jun 2, 2015 1:50 pm

Pizza Man is the best. Great pizza, great garlic bread.

If you like ribs, try the ribs from Pizza Man. A hidden gem on their menu.

I grew up going to the one on North/Oakland....the day it burned down I couldn't get to work, all the roads were blocked.

I sat there and just watched it burn. It was awful.
Newz
Banned User

Post#1798 » by Newz » Tue Jun 2, 2015 2:00 pm

Badgerlander wrote:used to go to the original Pizza Man all the time when I lived on the East side. Aside from the great food they have a huge wine selection served by the glass, the owner used to hang out in the bar and if he overheard any conversation about wine he would dive in and have samples of some of his favorites brought over for you to try. Good restaurants are so hard to find now that I live in chainville so I am constantly invading Tosa and this will be one more great reason to cross the border.

Assuming you go to Tosa for stuff like that... where do you live? In the Waukesha area? I have some awesome places I have found around there.

Taco Amigo on Silvernail Rd. is really good. Like maybe the best Mexican place in the state type good. Their green salsa is as good as I've ever had. Quality food through and through.

Mr. Wok is in the same strip mall and is, without a doubt, the best 'Chineese' place I have ever been to. It looks like every other Chinese place, but it isn't. Some of their stuff, like their sweet and sour chicken, is your typical take-out. But their Pepper Steak is awesome. They also feature Malaysian, Thai and some other types of dishes. Their Rendang Beef is honestly one of my favorite dishes from any place I have been. That place is awesome.

They are also opening a Cafe Hollander on Bluemound... which is awesome.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#1799 » by Badgerlander » Tue Jun 2, 2015 3:03 pm

Newz wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:used to go to the original Pizza Man all the time when I lived on the East side. Aside from the great food they have a huge wine selection served by the glass, the owner used to hang out in the bar and if he overheard any conversation about wine he would dive in and have samples of some of his favorites brought over for you to try. Good restaurants are so hard to find now that I live in chainville so I am constantly invading Tosa and this will be one more great reason to cross the border.

Assuming you go to Tosa for stuff like that... where do you live? In the Waukesha area? I have some awesome places I have found around there.

Taco Amigo on Silvernail Rd. is really good. Like maybe the best Mexican place in the state type good. Their green salsa is as good as I've ever had. Quality food through and through.

Mr. Wok is in the same strip mall and is, without a doubt, the best 'Chineese' place I have ever been to. It looks like every other Chinese place, but it isn't. Some of their stuff, like their sweet and sour chicken, is your typical take-out. But their Pepper Steak is awesome. They also feature Malaysian, Thai and some other types of dishes. Their Rendang Beef is honestly one of my favorite dishes from any place I have been. That place is awesome.

I live in Brookfield, every chain restaurant under the sun. There are a handful of decent privately owned ones, but after living on the eastside it sucks. I actually wasn't too impressed with Cafe Hollander in Tosa, it's ok but nothing special imo.

Spoiler:

Newz
Banned User

Post#1800 » by Newz » Tue Jun 2, 2015 3:04 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
Newz wrote:

I live in Brookfield, every chain restaurant under the sun. There are a handful of decent privately owned ones, but after living on the eastside it sucks. I actually wasn't too impressed with Cafe Hollander in Tosa, it's ok but nothing special imo.

I have been unimpressed by Hollander's lunch and dinner stuff. Their breakfast and brunch are usually pretty stellar though. They have the best danishes I have ever had in my entire life.

I'd recommend trying out Amigo and Wok. I know the names sound generic and terrible, but the food is quality. :D

Return to Milwaukee Bucks