ImageImage

OT - General College Basketball

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Re: OT - General College Basketball 

Post#2901 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:51 pm

Wickett tweeted that Blue plans to sign with agent, which would make it a for sure deal obviously.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,037

Post#2902 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Hurricane kid-

1. No where have I seen blue as a top 25 or even a top 40 pick. That is far from a guaranteed 1mil.

2. You use djo and Wes as examples when those guys all stayed and improved their draft stock their senior year. Bad examples IMO

3. I'm in the camp blue is a late second round pick. If so a deep run in the ncaas next year again will get him more notice from European scouts who don't rely on potential.

I can see why blue left but I wonder if its worth giving up something potentially special next year for Non guaranteed money.
MoneyInDaBank07
Junior
And1: 210

Post#2903 » by MoneyInDaBank07 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Well it's a down draft so maybe he's trying to strike while the iron is hot before next years monster draft. However, Darius Johnson-Odom barely got drafted last year and I'm not sure that Vander is even better than DJO. He'll probably be overseas within 1-2 years. Wish him luck though.
"I love Sam Cassell. He's a great guy, but he does look like E.T." - Charles Barkley
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#2904 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

1. No where have I seen blue as a top 25 or even a top 40 pick. That is far from a guaranteed 1mil.

He's listed at #23 in DraftExpress' 2014 mock draft.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#2905 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:57 pm

I might be way off, but i see Blue as a shorter Derozan
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#2906 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Wow. I didn't see that mock. I must have him really underrated but usually seniors are projected higher up on future mocks because all the unknown projects haven't shown up yet. Will be interesting to see where they put him after the switch.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,783

Post#2907 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 pm

Blue is ranked #23 in the 2014 mock. That's next year.

He will be lucky to be taken late in round 2 this year.

He must really hate school.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#2908 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Just saw the Blue story, what a dumb decision. Hopefully he gets drafted and plays well enough to stick, otherwise he could really end up regretting this decision.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#2909 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Quick 6-3 guys who can't shoot from the perimeter and aren't PG's don't exactly have much NBA value. I'll be shocked if he's first round.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#2910 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Hurricane kid-

2. You use djo and Wes as examples when those guys all stayed and improved their draft stock their senior year. Bad examples IMO

3. I'm in the camp blue is a late second round pick. If so a deep run in the ncaas next year again will get him more notice from European scouts who don't rely on potential.

I can see why blue left but I wonder if its worth giving up something potentially special next year for Non guaranteed money.

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford updated Blue’s biography on March 26, writing that “his elite athletic ability, his defensive toughness and his leadership have all caught NBA scouts’ eyes. If he shot it a little better, or was a little taller, he’d get a serious look in the lottery [...] don’t count him out of the first-round conversation yet.”

Wes WASN'T DRAFTED. Marquette's style of play has simply not given its players a fair shake with the scouts. Every single Marquette alum was take WELL AFTER his NBA performance.

And shame on you for saying Wes coming back improved his stock. He wasn't drafted. He was so underdrafted that after one season he was making more than the #1 overall pick.

When you have massive potential you want to be rewarded for it. He was a top 40 recruit and just CARRIED his team to the elite 8. He isn't going to get any hotter.

Vander is no scholar. He has a chance to play professional basketball and may very well still be a 1st rd pick. I get ticked when I hear everyone saying "he should come back" when we know there are almost no cases of guys stock going up for sticking around. You want him to stick around at Marquette because that is whats best for you; its an inherently selfish perspective. For Vander this is what is best. The inability to compensate players will continue to drive talent from the NCAA.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,771

Post#2911 » by emunney » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:30 pm

Reggie Bullock is entering the draft. Would be a good 2nd round pick.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,771

Post#2912 » by emunney » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:37 pm

I certainly don't blame Blue for leaving. I think the success of other Marquette guys should play in his favor, but he looks to me like a coin flip to get picked in the 1st round. Whatever the outcome, he'll be getting paid to play ball next year. There's a huge difference between making a team as a 2nd rounder or getting a guaranteed two years as a 1st round pick and playing in the d-league or overseas, though, where there aren't as many big money slots for Americans as there used to be, and they're typically taken by high performing veterans. I hope he's prepared for that.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#2913 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:31 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Hurricane kid-

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford updated Blue’s biography on March 26, writing that “his elite athletic ability, his defensive toughness and his leadership have all caught NBA scouts’ eyes. If he shot it a little better, or was a little taller, he’d get a serious look in the lottery [...] don’t count him out of the first-round conversation yet.”

Wes WASN'T DRAFTED. Marquette's style of play has simply not given its players a fair shake with the scouts. Every single Marquette alum was take WELL AFTER his NBA performance.

And shame on you for saying Wes coming back improved his stock. He wasn't drafted. He was so underdrafted that after one season he was making more than the #1 overall pick.

When you have massive potential you want to be rewarded for it. He was a top 40 recruit and just CARRIED his team to the elite 8. He isn't going to get any hotter.

Vander is no scholar. He has a chance to play professional basketball and may very well still be a 1st rd pick. I get ticked when I hear everyone saying "he should come back" when we know there are almost no cases of guys stock going up for sticking around. You want him to stick around at Marquette because that is whats best for you; its an inherently selfish perspective. For Vander this is what is best. The inability to compensate players will continue to drive talent from the NCAA.

Oops. Meant to say djo and Jae. I would still say the extra year helped Wes a ton. He improved so much his senior year. He was the teams third best player his junior year IMO. Would he have 1. Got the workouts his junior year and 2 performed as well during them?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#2914 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Gery Woelfel ‏@GeryWoelfel 1m
Like teammate Vander Blue, Marquette's Jamil Wilson has also requested an NBA evaluation. The 6-8 Wilson has a major upside.

If he left it would be even dumber than Vander's decision to leave.
ComeBackRay34
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#2915 » by ComeBackRay34 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:26 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Gery Woelfel ‏@GeryWoelfel 1m
Like teammate Vander Blue, Marquette's Jamil Wilson has also requested an NBA evaluation. The 6-8 Wilson has a major upside.

If he left it would be even dumber than Vander's decision to leave.

Just about to post that. Yeah, Jamil should not go pro. He could use another year to improve and I don't think he had a particularly great year. He has the chance to be the focal point and leader of the team next year, and raise his stock similar to the way Crowder did.

Also, I think losing Blue AND Wilson would be a huge loss to making a legitimate run next year. Before everyone starting leaving, I thought next year's squad could have final four potential. With Blue and Wilson gone, then this freshman class, which I am really excited for, becomes heavily depended on and in my mind, the season will be a year to improve the youth rather than win big. Either way I'm pumped because as long as Buzz stays, this program will only get better. But I thought the squad going into next year could do some damage.
"Monta Ellis have it all" ~ from the Great One who's only difference from Wade is winning games, an all-star appearance, two championship rings, and two gold medals.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#2916 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm

Spoke with one of my friends who is close to Vander and his family. I guess Orlando is showing a lot of interest and would likely take him with their 2nd round pick. Though looking at nbadraft.net it looks like they traded their 2nd rounder to Cleveland, but have a later 2nd round pick that they received from Golden State (via Denver via New York).
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#2917 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah Wilson going would be worse than Blue. Some interesting decision-making. I can't imagine he'd leave for talk that he might be a 2nd round pick. I hope it works out for Blue. I don't think Wilson will enter.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#2918 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I forgot to mention that the family could use the money as well. So it is a factor.
bucksbrewers3
Starter
And1: 292

Post#2919 » by bucksbrewers3 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm

If you dont think blue is a first round pick in a weak draft then he won't be a first round pick in a stacked draft next year. Great choice to leave now. Good luck to him.
fansinceforever
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#2920 » by fansinceforever » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Yeh I like MU so i'd love to have him back but this is the right decision.

i bet he goes back end of the 1st rd.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks