2013 TV/Movie Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Re: 2013 TV/Movie Thread 

Post#2141 » by Badgerlander » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:21 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/mtv-ser ... r-writing/
MTV Nabs Series Adaptation Of ‘Shannara’ Fantasy Novels With Jon Favreau Directing, Al Gough & Miles Millar Writing

In one of MTV‘s most ambitious moves on the scripted side since Susanne Daniels became president, the network has given a script-to-series commitment to Shannara, a drama series based on Terry Brooks’ popular fantasy books. The project, from Sonar Entertainment and Farah Films, has Iron Man helmer Jon Favreau on board to direct and will be written by Smallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar. The trio will executive produce with Brooks and Dan Farah (The Crow remake). If MTV likes the script, it is expected to give the project a straight-to-series order. Shannara reunites Gough and Millar with Daniels, who developed and put Smallville on the air while she was entertainment president at the WB. “I am thrilled to be working with the Smallville creators Al and Miles again along with the amazingly talented Jon Favreau,” Daniels said. “We feel that the Shannara novels are a perfect fit for MTV as this type of fantasy genre has continuously proved to resonate with our audience.” Shannara is set in our world, thousands of years after the destruction of our civilization. The story is centered on the Shannara family, whose descendants are empowered with ancient magic and whose adventures continuously reshape the future of the world. The first season of the potential series will be based on The Elfstones Of Shannara, the second title in the series — a fan favorite accredited with cementing the series place in the fantasy world.

Awesome news, probably my favorite series of books ever. I hope Favreau puts the Lord of the Rings snoozefest to shame.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,938

Post#2142 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Dec 8, 2013 4:08 am

The West Wing update:

After taking a break for awhile I finally resumed and watched the bulk Season 4 and the first episode of Season 5 in the past week and a half. It was weird not seeing Sorkin's name at the end of an episode for the first time. I've heard that the quality goes down post-Sorkin but I'm excited to judge for myself.

Of the first four season's I would rank them 1, 2, 4, 3. I'm not sure if I liked season 3 the least because I had marathoned too much of the show at once and was a little burned out, hard to say. All the seasons had some truly fantastic moments though. I think it really comes down to nitpicking.
KingCammo
Veteran
And1: 50

Post#2143 » by KingCammo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 am

I know lots of people loved the last SOA episode, but I found it really really frustrating.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,553

Post#2144 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Jason Bateman got sick of waiting for a director to put him in a good movie so he directed his own. NSFW language.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMO7sBxE-4Q[/youtube]
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,977

Post#2145 » by drew881 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Wow. I hate Jason Bateman, mainly because he always plays the normal guy, but that looks pretty good.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,082

Post#2146 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:49 pm

KingCammo wrote:I know lots of people loved the last SOA episode, but I found it really really frustrating.

My sister sent me a text the moment it ended. Had to tell her I didn't watch this season. But the polarizing grades (D+ from the AV Club, 9.0 from IGN) make me think I'll have to catch up soon.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,082

Post#2147 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:12 am

If you guys are entertained by superhero stuff and ever liked an X-Men, Batman, Superman, etc. flick and aren't watching Arrow you're dumb. Arrow is **** great.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#2148 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:32 am

Is there a CW show you don't watch? :D
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#2149 » by chuckleslove » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:27 pm

crkone wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:I got out of seeing The Hobbit just in time to turn on the radio and hear we are having a jump ball up by 2, what a fantastic finish, I was shouting and clapping my hands in the car.

How was the movie?

Didn't want to muck up the game thread talking about a movie when we have a TV/movie thread.

I loved it but I'm a huge nerd for these things, the LotR books are my favorite books of all time and the movies are probably my favorite movies. The Hobbit not quite as good as a book but still very good imo. The movie did not disappoint, you can tell Jackson is borrowing heavily from sources outside of the book to stretch this out but I think he is doing a really good job, not only is it telling the story of The Hobbit but it is really setting the stage for the events of LotR which I think in a movie setting works.

I wish Legolas wasn't in the movie and the love story plot was clearly added to Hollywood it up as there was no love story in the book but it wasn't the worst thing ever and overall if you enjoy the books/movies it is a solid addition.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,744

Post#2150 » by DanoMac » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Welp...just finished up Boardwalk Empire. Incredible.
A Diddy2231
Analyst
And1: 106

Post#2151 » by A Diddy2231 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:12 am

Saw the Hobbit today, and it was exactly what I expected, so I cant complain. Seen the new Chistopher Nolan teaser trailer for his new movie, and Im pumped for that, without even knowing the story line
Johnny wrote:You betrayed me! You're not good. You, you're just a chicken. Chip-chip-chip-chip-cheep-cheep.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,152

Post#2152 » by FrieAaron » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 am

chuckleslove wrote:
crkone wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:I got out of seeing The Hobbit just in time to turn on the radio and hear we are having a jump ball up by 2, what a fantastic finish, I was shouting and clapping my hands in the car.

How was the movie?

I wish Legolas wasn't in the movie and the love story plot was clearly added to Hollywood it up as there was no love story in the book but it wasn't the worst thing ever and overall if you enjoy the books/movies it is a solid addition.

Surprisingly, Tauriel and Kili had some of my favorite moments of the movie. I thought they played that just right. I didn't see it as an outright love story, but as more curiosity and admiration.

I liked the movie a lot, but thought the Smaug encounter was probably a little too long. Can't wait for the finale. Might be odd to some people, but the last part of the book is my favorite.
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#2153 » by whatthe_buck!? » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:44 am

DanoMac wrote:Welp...just finished up Boardwalk Empire. Incredible.

I don't get some of the criticism for this show. I mean if this show isn't good enough, where the hell are everyone's expectations set at? Does every show have to move as fast Breaking Bad to get people really excited? There's a ton of sh*t going on, it's a super complicated show, everybody gives Game of Thrones a pass for the same issue because its based on books. I love Game of Thrones, but Boardwalk Empire should be on or at least near the same level as far as critical acclaim. Bobby Cannavale in season 3 is like my favorite character from a TV show ever.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#2154 » by chuckleslove » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:01 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:
crkone wrote:
How was the movie?

Surprisingly, Tauriel and Kili had some of my favorite moments of the movie. I thought they played that just right. I didn't see it as an outright love story, but as more curiosity and admiration.

I liked the movie a lot, but thought the Smaug encounter was probably a little too long. Can't wait for the finale. Might be odd to some people, but the last part of the book is my favorite.

I don't disagree with you really, I thought it was well done for what it was, but I could have done without it is all. But if you are going to add a love element the way they played it off was very well done for sure.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#2155 » by ReddWing » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:37 pm

Thought the movie was a big improvement of An Unexpected Journey. I enjoyed that movie too but this seemed to fit better into the other Lord of the Rings movies. The one thing I can't get over though is how much I hate Azog and that whole storyline. I hate how CGI he (and Bolg) looks and I hate all the subtitles. Why couldn't they just get Manu Bennett and Conan Stevens in makeup and use practical effects? They have these buff, intimidating, good actors and they choose to turn them into video game characters. The 'Black Speech' could have been done away with too. What made the orcs great in LOTR (and trolls in Hobbit) is how they talked like stereotypical poor British ruffian types. That made them amusing and gave them personality. I never read the book but I thought the constant threat of these orcs got a bit tiring.

Other than that, it was a real solid movie. The Laketown scenes were well done because it all felt real. The dragon was cool too. The CGI had me very concerned given how fake the final scene in AUJ looked but he looked fantastic. I usually hate pandering but I thought that Tauriel was well done, as was the romance between her and the 'handsome dwarf'. I thought it gave the movie some warmth. Also. that barrel scene was nuts. A bit over-the-top but I was fun.
ReddWing
Banned User
And1: 808

Post#2156 » by ReddWing » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:52 pm

This was apparently Bolg in a costume.

In the movie, horrible.
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,152

Post#2157 » by FrieAaron » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:07 pm

ReddWing wrote: I thought it gave the movie some warmth. Also. that barrel scene was nuts. A bit over-the-top but I was fun.

Super fun. I loved Bomburs move in the barrel. So unrealistic but awesome and funny.
Another point about Tauriel and giving people like Bard more character development than the book - it should raise the stakes considerably for the final battle in the book.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#2158 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Anyone see American Hustle yet? Was gonna see it with my fiancé but then I saw Jennifer Lawrence in her bra and panties in the latest trailer and decided I might want to see it on my own In an empty theatre instead.
Do it for Chuck
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,938

Post#2159 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:55 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone see American Hustle yet? Was gonna see it with my fiancé but then I saw Jennifer Lawrence in her bra and panties in the latest trailer and decided I might want to see it on my own In an empty theatre instead.

It's in limited release until 19th or 20th, but I will be seeing it as soon as it opens wide.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,553

Post#2160 » by Ill-yasova » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Anyone see American Hustle yet? Was gonna see it with my fiancé but then I saw Jennifer Lawrence in her bra and panties in the latest trailer and decided I might want to see it on my own In an empty theatre instead.

Be careful. Some people tend to get carried away in that situation.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks