ImageImage

What do you want to do this off-season?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,330

Re: What do you want to do this off-season? 

Post#161 » by jute2003 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm in the camp that would just like to see a recognizable direction. Take a leap with the win now crap or stop trying. 7-9th in the conference should not be desirable. I do like Redick and wouldn't mind keeping him with a non-pouty Jennings or a reigned in Monta. Either scenario is likely asking to much however.
only a fan, only an opinion
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#162 » by Badgerlander » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:02 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:B) We do a salary dump of some of our players to a team with cap room. Basically this would involve giving away Udoh and Moute for nothing.

As I said earlier, I bet we give a team a 2nd round pick to take Moute (+Ish) off our hands, and trade Udoh for a late first (to get Pressey's kid or Glen Jr). We'll cut Ayon too since he's not gtd next year. Hopefully Houston trades TRob+ for JSmith before the draft and saves us from completely clearing our roster to try and lure Smith and then being forced to overpay players that are still unsigned to get above the salary floor when we fail to get him. I do think Dunleavy is gone no matter what, he's too smart to hang around this s-show.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#163 » by eagle13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Yesterday Sparky floated the belief (he's not endorsing it) that we end up with Redick, Monta and Josh Smith this summer as the new big three. And a few people jumped on that bandwagon, thinking we have tons of cap space and can do whatever we want this summmer. Again not true.

To have any shot of trying to pull that off, you've got to renounce the rights to Dunleavy, Dalembert, Jennings and then amnesty Drew Gooden. Redick then has a cap hold of approximately $9.2mm. So that leaves us at $47.7 million for cap purposes. With a salary cap at $60 million, we don't have enough room for Smith on a "max deal".

So we then have four options to get Josh Smith.
edit -delete

I just keep coming back to the idea of adding Josh Smith this summer being completely unworkable unless they either sign and trade for him or they give up two of the three guards.

I don't think anyone in that front office really thought through these things last week. We really needed to either overpay back then for Josh Smith via trade or we needed to part with Monta if we wanted to acquire Josh Smith and retain two of the guards.

Hoopsworld & I have contracts at 46.6 - that’s another 1.1 for you. Amnesty Gooden & we’re at just under 40mil.

What is the fascination with Smith & the Swags? We have great assets & flexibility if people let go of the delusion of this version of a big three.

I don’t think Smith is worth getting or the chucker twins worth keeping. We know their flaws too well. Are they going to transform b/c of smith? Those 3 will get into the 2nd rd & no further as they take their turns as head case, pouting baby & 1 for 11. Not fair to any coach. Why build with them? Why give them huge contracts when the resources are there to build with better personnel. BTW what caused Smith’s change of heart toward Milwaukee? I think its just hype to build a market for himself. He won’t hesitate to leave us the altar.

We have great assets & flexibility including-
S&Ts of Ellis & BJ or not & just let them go & use cap space
Resign Reddick after all transactions to exceed cap but stay away from lux tax
Cap space by renouncing all our other FAs – MDJ Sam etc
Trade or keep Ersan Udoh Moute Ayon Smith as needed

PG is the dilemma since all options draw critisism. But that’s no reason to keep BJ’s flaws.
I go with Bledsoe – can he cut it /will he prove himself? Has BJ ever proven anything? Eric has the most upside. Sign Robinson as vet mentor.
Trade BJ & moute for Milsap or AJ. Either is more stable than Josh.
Atl & Phx both had interest in Ellis & both have two 1sts so they might part with one.
Bulls will have to pay lux tax this year when they couldn’t dump boozer. They may well accept trade of ersan for deng & save $6mil & avoid another tax bill. They have Butler at SF & could easily flip ersan or move boozer.
Or there’s Granger who could be had for Ellis or Ersan.

We could have-

Sanders / Udoh
Milsap / Henson
Deng / Dudley
Reddick / Dom.Jones
Bledsoe / Robinson

03.1 / 4.5
15.5 / 1.9
14.3 / 4.3
08.5 / 1.8
02.1 / 2.0 = 58.0 + say 6mil for bottom 4 spots = 64m

Hold out Reddick’s 8.5 until the last transaction & there’s plenty of $ to fill out the bottom of roster w/ near minimum guys. We could spend more but keep in mind both Sanders & Bledsoe are on the last year of their contracts and at least Larry will deserve serious $$$ - hopefully so does Eric. Udoh & Deng are also on their last year. We won’t afford to resign Udoh & if we get squeezed by the cap, we can offer Deng less or let him go & have Dudley or 1st pick take over SF.

That’s just one realistic scenario that’s waaaay >>>>>>>>> Smith & swags. There are more even better I bet. C’mon John…
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,432

Post#164 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:36 am

SANDERS!
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,306

Post#165 » by Wooderson » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:42 am

Sanders/Henson/Ersan/Udoh for Derozan/Bargnani. Lets go full moron here. Brooks/Humphreys is the obvious backup plan if that falls.
Wiscfan92
Starter
And1: 206

Post#166 » by Wiscfan92 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Blow it all up. Keep Sanders. Sign lebron in '14
Play your role till your role change. Pay your dues till your dues paid.
BuckPack
Starter
And1: 802

Post#167 » by BuckPack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Ayon was a key part of the deal for the Bucks; wouldn't have given up Tobias without getting Ayon, so they won't be cutting him loose this offseason.

They will try to resign Redick without a doubt and build with the Jennings/Redick/Ersan/Henson/Sanders core. Throw in Udoh/Ayon and you have much of your frontcourt set. I would not be surprised in the least if Moute were moved--the Bucks would certainly prefer to do that.

Maybe their thinking changes on Jennings over the course of the next few months, but that was the plan pre-trade deadline.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#168 » by LUKE23 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm

We are doomed.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#169 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm

BuckPack wrote:Ayon was a key part of the deal for the Bucks; wouldn't have given up Tobias without getting Ayon, so they won't be cutting him loose this offseason.

They will try to resign Redick without a doubt and build with the Jennings/Redick/Ersan/Henson/Sanders core. Throw in Udoh/Ayon and you have much of your frontcourt set. I would not be surprised in the least if Moute were moved--the Bucks would certainly prefer to do that.

Maybe their thinking changes on Jennings over the course of the next few months, but that was the plan pre-trade deadline.

Could Dalembert, instead of Udoh/LRMAM, have made the Atlanta trade more likely? I was under the impression that one of the main reasons Atlanta balked was Udoh's and LRMAM's contracts running past this summer.

ETA: Wrong thread, but since you mentioned that the Bucks liked Ayon, it's a natural place to ask why they didn't make more effort to get something of value for Dalembert.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#170 » by BigDoggyStyle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:16 pm

The good part of that is not signing Smith or Ellis. The bad is signing Jennings and Redick is gonna take a lot of overpaying. So still not good. And if they are so high on Ayon, then why was Gooden playing over him last night?
whatthe_buck!?
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#171 » by whatthe_buck!? » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm

:nonono:
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,770

Post#172 » by emunney » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
BuckPack wrote:Ayon was a key part of the deal for the Bucks; wouldn't have given up Tobias without getting Ayon, so they won't be cutting him loose this offseason.

Could Dalembert, instead of Udoh/LRMAM, have made the Atlanta trade more likely? I was under the impression that one of the main reasons Atlanta balked was Udoh's and LRMAM's contracts running past this summer.

ETA: Wrong thread, but since you mentioned that the Bucks liked Ayon, it's a natural place to ask why they didn't make more effort to get something of value for Dalembert.

Or why Gooden played last night.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BuckPack
Starter

Post#173 » by BuckPack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:

RE: Dalembert. B/c the Bucks are dumb.

RE: LRMAM. Yes, the Hawks pulled out b/c of the LT $s to LRMAM. But the Bucks wanted to shed his salary (why they were also giving up a first) and knew that his PT would take a hit w/ a Smith acquisition (eroding future trade value). I'm not sure whether Dalembert + 1st would have gotten it done. Bucks wanted to be able to restart w/ a lot of cap room if this run w/ Smith/Redick/Monta/Jennings didn't work out.
ampd
RealGM
And1: 4,891

Post#174 » by ampd » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

eagle13 wrote:What is the fascination with Smith

Smith and Larry would be epic defensively, and their athleticism and defense would immediately at least give us a viable identity. Surround them with 3 guys who are average defenders and can shoot, and you have something, rather than just assembling a random collection of guys with games that don't complement each other.
BuckPack
Starter

Post#175 » by BuckPack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

BigDoggyStyle wrote:The good part of that is not signing Smith or Ellis. The bad is signing Jennings and Redick is gonna take a lot of overpaying. So still not good. And if they are so high on Ayon, then why was Gooden playing over him last night?

I didn't say they wouldn't try to sign Smith. They very well might. But it's going to take some cap finagling if Ellis doesn't opt out. I think Smith will have options that are more preferable to him so I don't see the Bucks signing him anyway.
BigDoggyStyle
Senior
And1: 49

Post#176 » by BigDoggyStyle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:28 pm

BuckPack wrote:
BigDoggyStyle wrote:The good part of that is not signing Smith or Ellis. The bad is signing Jennings and Redick is gonna take a lot of overpaying. So still not good. And if they are so high on Ayon, then why was Gooden playing over him last night?

I didn't say they wouldn't try to sign Smith. They very well might. But it's going to take some cap finagling if Ellis doesn't opt out. I think Smith will have options that are more preferable to him so I don't see the Bucks signing him anyway.

Ok good. I hope they don't sign him. Also, were you implying Ersan starting at the 3 or just listing him as part of the core? Because I want no part of Ersan at the 3.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#177 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:34 pm

BuckPack wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

RE: Dalembert. B/c the Bucks are dumb.

RE: LRMAM. Yes, the Hawks pulled out b/c of the LT $s to LRMAM. But the Bucks wanted to shed his salary (why they were also giving up a first) and knew that his PT would take a hit w/ a Smith acquisition (eroding future trade value). I'm not sure whether Dalembert + 1st would have gotten it done. Bucks wanted to be able to restart w/ a lot of cap room if this run w/ Smith/Redick/Monta/Jennings didn't work out.

Interesting. If it's it true that LRMAM was a sticking point, it kind of stands to reason that Dalembert wouldn't have been. Especially since they need a true center so badly, even if he is a terrible help defender.

I also find it appalling that wanting to clear LRMAM's salary may have prevented the Bucks from making a deal that they really, really wanted to do. I understand the issue with pt, but he's not even making the MLE ffs, is still young, and is only signed for 2 more years.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
tski1972
Head Coach
And1: 3,600

Post#178 » by tski1972 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:36 pm

This makes me feel better. :roll:
http://twitter.com/MarkIsOld

"Because of Giannis, the once lousy Bucks are back in the NBA conversation." - 60 Minutes
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,826

Post#179 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Goose Ayon was the deal breaker for giving up Tobes? Did I read that right? The guy turns 28 in April and is really just your typical bench NBA big man. Hammond must have been playing hardball after they offered Josh McRoberts.
Go Bucks!
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#180 » by eagle13 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

ampd wrote:
eagle13 wrote:What is the fascination with Smith

Smith and Larry would be epic defensively, and their athleticism and defense would immediately at least give us a viable identity. Surround them with 3 guys who are average defenders and can shoot, and you have something, rather than just assembling a random collection of guys with games that don't complement each other.

You aren't talking about Ellis & BJ?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks