No votes

Total votes: 246

thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Re: '14 Draft Thread - EPISODE IV: A New Hope 

Post#1621 » by thomchatt3rton » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

tedbrogen wrote:
Watched A LOT of Parker this year. His lateral footspeed is why he'll never be anything more than average on defense, and probably worse because he puts EVERYTHING he has into the offensive end and on the boards. He is very explosive in the straight line (running the floor, jumping when having a running start, and making that second pogo-stick jump near the rim for rebounds) but he just doesn't move well side to side. There is a reason he was pulled off the floor in end of the game scenarios defensively in several games this season. He is also VERY poor against the pick and roll. Even when he hedges properly, he just doesn't have the lateral quickness to recover to his man.

He is a good weakside shot blocker and tenacious rebounder. He'll score in the league no doubt, but he just won't be able to guard SF's with any quickness or PF's with any size. He'd fit great next to The Greek offensively because he can go inside or out and would keep up in transition, but he is an absolute tweener defensively and the physical limitations will keep him that way.

Also, I'm more concerned about his penchant for hero ball than Wiggins lack of desire. When things got tight, Parker would just go one on one, drive inside, crazy into people, and throw up bad shots. His first step won't be great by NBA standards.

Even though he keeps delaying the decision, he is coming out. If he were going to stay he would have declared so before their team's end of the season banquet tonight. Every Duke insider whose opinion I have read about it is absolutely convinced he is going pro.

Great post great answer, thanks!
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,625

Post#1622 » by blazza18 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Cleaning house is best. Hammond can gtfo.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,667

Post#1623 » by TroyD92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

No way would I let any of these clowns stay. Hire a scout from a different team.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,667

Post#1624 » by TroyD92 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 pm

I admit I also like Wiggins, because he plays within the system. I hate hero ball. That's another reason Parker is my clear #4.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#1625 » by Bernman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:Hammond had his chance, pass.

You know that's not true.

With the following responses, it was kind of reinforced to me that there is an emotional aversion to Hammond since he's associated with years of failure, while ignoring the circumstances behind them, and that the problems started long before him.

He hasn't had half a chance. So it would be hasty to pass. Give him until near the trade deadline, then reassess. If it has been many of the same mistakes between the draft and regular season, he can go then. It's especially unnecessary to be desperate to get rid of him before the draft, given what the team has done during his tenure in that dept, even with Kohl as owner. If there is a proven good GM who is an alternative to him, sure, he can go. Otherwise it's just about psychological relief ("clean house"). The reality is we still don't know much more about Hammond than the day he was hired. Just like we don't know what Larry Harris truly was as a GM.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,790

Post#1626 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:31 pm

There are 500 people in the basketball world that can do what Hammond has done. He had his chance. If he was some savant that was going to save this team we would've seen some glimmer of it and we have not. It's time to move on, 5 years too late. Why not bring back Larry Harris if we're going to play the Kohl card. Kohl handcuffed already bad gms, no need to see anymore from them. Keep him as a lead scout if you're that worried about the draft, there is no reason for him to be the GM making that pick.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1627 » by AussieBuck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 pm

Hamonds is an idiot. You'd have to have never heard him speak and assume all of the stupid trades and signings were someone else's doing to think otherwise. The idea that Herb is some kind of weird overlord who doesn't let his GM do anything but draft is pure fan fiction.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#1628 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Parker needs to declare already.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#1629 » by Buckrageous » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 pm

Hammond should not be making these picks. Ill still be excited about todays news but Ill be disappointed if the basketball department hasnt been replaced by draft night. Im not buying the "its only 2 months until the draft" either. Anyone they hire will have NBA experience amd will have been scouting these players already. If a guy hasnt seen the top prospects in this draft yet hes not a candidate for an NBA general manager job. Plus Jabari Parker average like 27 mpg in 35 games. Similar for Embiid and Wiggins. Thats like 30-35 hours of total game film on the top 3 prospects, they could easily get that done by friday if the started now.
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#1630 » by Buckrageous » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:47 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Hamonds is an idiot. You'd have to have never heard him speak and assume all of the stupid trades and signings were someone else's doing to think otherwise. The idea that Herb is some kind of weird overlord who doesn't let his GM do anything but draft is pure fan fiction.

This is what I dont get, why is he the drafter? What proof is there of that? How do we know Kohl interferes in trades and FA but not the draft? For all anyone knows Kohl has been drafting and Hammond has been making all the trades. Kohl, Babcock, Steinmiller, Morway, Hammond, etc.? Who is to blame for this disaster? I have no idea. One or more is the problem. I say get rid of them all and you sure to get rid everyone responsible.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#1631 » by AussieBuck » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:55 pm

Buckrageous wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Hamonds is an idiot. You'd have to have never heard him speak and assume all of the stupid trades and signings were someone else's doing to think otherwise. The idea that Herb is some kind of weird overlord who doesn't let his GM do anything but draft is pure fan fiction.

This is what I dont get, why is he the drafter? What proof is there of that? How do we know Kohl interferes in trades and FA but not the draft? For all anyone knows Kohl has been drafting and Hammond has been making all the trades. Kohl, Babcock, Steinmiller, Morway, Hammond, etc.? Who is to blame for this disaster? I have no idea. One or more is the problem. I say get rid of them all and you sure to get rid everyone responsible.

Jeff Weltman got poached by the Raptors but we kept him on until after the draft. Maybe he was the only guy who knew his arse from his elbow?
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Buckrageous
Starter

Post#1632 » by Buckrageous » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 am

AussieBuck wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:

Jeff Weltman got poached by the Raptors but we kept him on until after the draft. Maybe he was the only guy who knew his arse from his elbow?

Maybe, who knows. Dump them all, hire someone new, and start over.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,790

Post#1633 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 am

So what is the Hammond timeline? Am I missing anything here?

Kohl seemingly handpicks Hammond from the Pistons to build this team "the right way".
Hammond wins EOTY and is given all the praise.
Kohl sucks! His old, decrepit finger prints are ruining this team and Hammond can't work the way he needs to!
Hammond is such a great drafter but Herb Kohl is doing everything else!
Kohl's gone, time to give Hammond his chance!
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,841

Post#1634 » by VooDoo7 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:45 am

AussieBuck wrote:Hamonds is an idiot.

*Hammond

But yeah, he is.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,743

Post#1635 » by DanoMac » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Hamonds is an idiot.

*Hammond

But yeah, he is.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic :D

But yeah, Parker just needs to declare. It's obvious he's going to, as the only reason he's not doing anything today is because he doesn't want to "overshadow the team banquet". C'mon, all signs point to him declaring. Just do it.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#1636 » by Badgerlander » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:56 am

Bernman wrote:And all this is ignoring the differences in competition, experience, and size, which are obvious. I can't even believe I'd have to break that down.

But I'm the one being unreasonable here in stating their stats aren't similar. It was a terrible comparison. Don't dig yourself deeper, just own it.

I own all my posts, even when I make mistakes. In this case it's my opinion vs yours. I can sit here and cherry pick the stats that are similar and you can pick the ones furthest apart. Obviously Smart is taller so he's going to get more rebounds and blocks, but if he plays PG I think they'll have a very similar impact. I think they are similar athletically. Not sure why being compared to a player with Fisher's longevity and success is a bad thing but whatever. It'll be really interesting if the Lakers end up with him, but as I said, we'll see.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#1637 » by El Duderino » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:14 am

Bernman wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:Hammond had his chance, pass.

You know that's not true.

With the following responses, it was kind of reinforced to me that there is an emotional aversion to Hammond since he's associated with years of failure, while ignoring the circumstances behind them, and that the problems started long before him.

He hasn't had half a chance. So it would be hasty to pass. Give him until near the trade deadline, then reassess. If it has been many of the same mistakes between the draft and regular season, he can go then. It's especially unnecessary to be desperate to get rid of him before the draft, given what the team has done during his tenure in that dept, even with Kohl as owner. If there is a proven good GM who is an alternative to him, sure, he can go. Otherwise it's just about psychological relief ("clean house"). The reality is we still don't know much more about Hammond than the day he was hired. Just like we don't know what Larry Harris truly was as a GM.

We all know that Herb meddles, but i strongly question if Kohl told Hammond to make many of the specific dumb moves like giving Gooden 33 million, Mayo 24 million, trading away Tobias, trading for Jackson/Maggette/Monta, and a myriad other of his win now attempts. So just because Kohl hasn't allowed Hammond to purposely tank doesn't also mean it excuses Hammond for making so many bad decisions outside of draft night.

When i look at so many of his moves and listen to him in interviews, Hammond kind of reminds me of some baseball GM's of 7-8-10 years ago who got left behind as sabermetrics was much better at placing value on what players were really worth compared to very basic rate stats which ruled the day for so long like batting average, RBI's, wins for pitchers etc

Of course good GM's in pro sports won't be very successful by simply just using analytics given scouting talent often also involves projection via the eye test and building rosters which fit together in a variety of ways, but combining that all together takes a really sharp and creative mind who uses every possible bit of information out there to win games. I don't see that as a description of John Hammond.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#1638 » by emunney » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 am

I will never fully understand the excuse for the Joe Alexander pick. It's not like these guys were at the bottom of the **** ocean before the Bucks hired them. They were in another basketball front office. Why the hell does moving from the Pistons to the Bucks cause them to have to start over with evaluating prospects?

Anybody we hire now should bring a lot of knowledge with them. Why would we consider somebody who doesn't know dick about available amateurs?

Hammond would probably be better without Kohl, but I strongly believe we have to be more ambitious.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#1639 » by Licensed to Il » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 am

Everyone on the roster, coaching staff, and front office must go must go but Giannis, Wolters, Ted Davis, and Johnny Mac.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,326

Post#1640 » by El Duderino » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:56 am

emunney wrote:
Hammond would probably be better without Kohl, but I strongly believe we have to be more ambitious.

I think we are in a new NBA and a new time in pro sports as a whole where there is just so much more data currently available and new types of data being created all of the time which will allow the smartest, the most diligent, and most creative minds to often outsmart lose lacking the ambition and creativity to soak up everything possible out there to create competitive advantages, even if some of those advantages are minor.

That's not to say that just hiring some MIT statistician is a lock for success in the NBA, but teams that limit themselves by having a front office being behind or way behind the curve at using every possible tool towards scouting, team building, coaching, etc will have less margin for error against the more creative front offices.

Just look at what Morey and the Rockets are doing with their D-League team. It may end up not amounting to all that much on the NBA level, but could you ever imagine Hammond trying something creative like that? I sure couldn't.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks