ImageImage

Marquette College Basketball Thread (2015-16 discussion)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

The Wet Whistle
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,252

Re: OT - Marquette Hires Wojciechowski / MU BBALL updates 

Post#141 » by The Wet Whistle » Thu Oct 9, 2014 2:48 pm

Wojo is killing it right now. Getting Ellenson is **** awesome
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#142 » by smauss » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm stoked! Haven't seen this kind of talent acquired since Al.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#143 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:58 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/520241278085525504[/tweet]
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,740

Post#144 » by emunney » Thu Oct 9, 2014 4:32 pm

It was weird to me that people were worried about his recruiting coming in. I get the first time coach thing, but Wojo has a special gland that excretes credibility. He was born to coach college basketball.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,956

Post#145 » by BUCKnation » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:05 pm

Wow, huge.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#146 » by El Duderino » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:24 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/520241278085525504[/tweet]

:clap: :clap: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I was a bit worried about Buzz leaving given he won a lot and you just never know about new hires, but Wojciechowski has blown me away with his recruiting so far.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#147 » by Bernman » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:51 pm

If UW gets Stone and Illikainen, and MU Ellenson, I'll think that ended up being the perfect result regarding the area top hs prospects. The two key ones stayed in state, they were split between the major schools, and the biggest got a nice alternative.

But if Stone ends up going elsewhere this will be my reaction. :nonono: That's not how it's supposed to go down when you go to the final four with one of the tournament MVP's being a silky big man.

BTW, in looking at MU's recruiting class now, that's pretty impressive for Wojo (he seems charismatic and is a name so I guess it isn't all that shocking) off the bat, especially factoring in the conference perception right now. And it features solid in state talent to boot. I wasn't aware there were so many 4* and above state of Wisconsin recruits this year. It's great to see, and gives me another reason to follow MU as my safety basketball school.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#148 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:58 pm

Wojo building an awesome program. For what it's worth, Diamond Stone was at the Bucks scrimmage last weekend. I'm sure Jabari was in his ear about Duke.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,028

Post#149 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Oct 9, 2014 5:58 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:Obligatory negative post: with recruiting Wojo has been doing, get ready for yearly "Wojo is rumored for the Head Coach at..." articles.

Where would he go? I don't think he leaves unless he goes to duke. He just needs to prove himself for a few years and hope he's the best candidate with k leaves.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#150 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:01 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Wojo building an awesome program. For what it's worth, Diamond Stone was at the Bucks scrimmage last weekend. I'm sure Jabari was in his ear about Duke.

Things could change but I think he's down to UConn and UW with Maryland as an extreme darkhorse as of last update.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#151 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:02 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:Obligatory negative post: with recruiting Wojo has been doing, get ready for yearly "Wojo is rumored for the Head Coach at..." articles.

Where would he go? I don't think he leaves unless he goes to duke. He just needs to prove himself for a few years and hope he's the best candidate with k leaves.

Its hard to say but there is always going to be some major conference jobs that come open. Nationally speaking I'm sure Marquette is viewed as a stepping stone, so the rumors are going to be there. Whether he goes or not is a different story, I'm just saying his name is going to be mentioned a ton.
emunney
RealGM

Post#152 » by emunney » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:02 pm

Where would he go? If he wins, he writes his own ticket. That's how it works.

That said, I agree that I think that if he does win, he will wait for Coach K to retire before he moves, as he'd be pretty much a shoo-in for that job given he succeeds here.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,587

Post#153 » by JayMKE » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:07 pm

Always great to keep these kids in-state, hopefully Diamond Stone stays too
FREE GIANNIS
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,028

Post#154 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:21 pm

emunney wrote:

Where would he go? If he wins, he writes his own ticket. That's how it works.

That said, I agree that I think that if he does win, he will wait for Coach K to retire before he moves, as he'd be pretty much a shoo-in for that job given he succeeds here.

I know Marquette is a stepping stone, but what school isn't besides Duke UNC, and Kentucky. He's gonna make Top 20 money at MU with unbelievable job security. What jobs are really better than that? Why risk taking a tiny step up and risk blowing your shot at Duke?
emunney
RealGM

Post#155 » by emunney » Thu Oct 9, 2014 6:40 pm

UCLA, Kansas, Indiana to name a few. I would consider programs like Michigan, Michigan St., Arizona, Syracuse, Georgetown and Florida to be much more than tiny steps up also.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#156 » by Chuck Diesel » Thu Oct 9, 2014 7:10 pm

We have Wojo for five years tops. It's fine, let's enjoy it.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#157 » by El Duderino » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 am

Bernman wrote:If UW gets Stone and Illikainen, and MU Ellenson, I'll think that ended up being the perfect result regarding the area top hs prospects. The two key ones stayed in state, they were split between the major schools, and the biggest got a nice alternative.

But if Stone ends up going elsewhere this will be my reaction. :nonono: That's not how it's supposed to go down when you go to the final four with one of the tournament MVP's being a silky big man.

BTW, in looking at MU's recruiting class now, that's pretty impressive for Wojo (he seems charismatic and is a name so I guess it isn't all that shocking) off the bat, especially factoring in the conference perception right now. And it features solid in state talent to boot. I wasn't aware there were so many 4* and above state of Wisconsin recruits this year. It's great to see, and gives me another reason to follow MU as my safety basketball school.

There have been some really high quality players coming out of the state recently, but for as much hype as Stone and Ellenson have received, Kevon Looney could very well end of being better than both of Stone/Ellenson. To bad he chose UCLA, but if i was his age, that campus, the weather, and piles of hot Cali coeds could have swayed me also.

While i'm a slightly bigger Marquette fan than Badger fan since i live right outside of Milwaukee, i do cheer strongly for both teams, so i really hope that Stone picks Wisconsin, but my gut feeling is he won't. Sure hope i'm wrong though. The state doesn't produce that many say top 10-20 high school recruits and it's a bummer when they bolt to play out of state.

I'm old enough to remember when the Wisconsin program was mostly crap for a long time and Marquette also went through stretches of being really mediocre, so it's been great fun having both programs winning 20 plus games and making the big dance on a regular basis.

Bo finally had that deep run last year which made me really happy for him and the program. I did have some fear though with Marquette now playing in a much weaker/less hyped Big East, their games no longer being on ESPN, and then an unproven rookie coach taking over, that there was a chance that the program could potentially decline from where it's been the last 7-10 years. You just never know for sure when hiring a former assistant coach. This fabulous recruiting class by Wojo has done a lot to lessen those concerns.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#158 » by buckboy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:45 am

Wally Ellenson is making this a great class for coach W.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#159 » by chonestown » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:42 am

Wojo's current lifetime coaching record:
0-0.

The Coach K coaching tree is fairly undistinguished as well: Amaker, Snyder, Dawkins, Capel, Collins [TBD] and Wojo.

He can recruit, but you might want to pump the brakes a bit.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#160 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:52 pm

chonestown wrote:
He can recruit, but you might want to pump the brakes a bit.

I think recruiting is more important than coaching skill in college BB if you want to be a top ten program if your coach isn't able to do both at a super high level.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25

Return to Milwaukee Bucks