Randle
1%

Total votes: 259

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Re: '14 Draft Thread - Parker Declares. List your top 4 

Post#561 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Wise1 wrote:I could easily see....Embiid, Parker, Exum for sure. If the Bucks are in the 4 hole here, Smart could be their choice.

I could not disagree more.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#562 » by Wise1 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
Wise1 wrote:I could easily see....Embiid, Parker, Exum for sure. If the Bucks are in the 4 hole here, Smart could be their choice.

Philly, Utah, LA.....Embiid, Parker, Exum...not a possibility?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#563 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:54 pm

As crazy as it is to some people that there are those with Randle or Smart ahead of Parker or Exum, I think it's even more insane that there are people who have Embiid behind Wiggins or Parker.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,820

Post#564 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So how does Ford reconcile having Wiggins at #1 because he's supposedly on top of the majority of NBA big boards, but in his poll of NBA GM's yesterday Wiggins comes in at a distant 3rd?

So 30 NBA execs were polled, that would lead me to believe it was likely from 30 teams. Do you think Ford really cares what a team like Memphis or Charlotte has on top of their big board when they won't be anywhere near the #1 pick? 30 teams/people can have an opinion, only 5 or so matter regarding Wiggins/Parker/Embiid.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#565 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:02 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:So how does Ford reconcile having Wiggins at #1 because he's supposedly on top of the majority of NBA big boards, but in his poll of NBA GM's yesterday Wiggins comes in at a distant 3rd?

So 30 NBA execs were polled, that would lead me to believe it was likely from 30 teams. Do you think Ford really cares what a team like Memphis or Charlotte has on top of their big board when they won't be anywhere near the #1 pick? 30 teams/people can have an opinion, only 5 or so matter regarding Wiggins/Parker/Embiid.

That doesn't make any sense. Who stands to gain more by lying to Ford? The five or six GMs at the top of the draft? Or the 24 GMs who don't have a shot at any of the top guys.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#566 » by jr lucosa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:As crazy as it is to some people that there are those with Randle or Smart ahead of Parker or Exum, I think it's even more insane that there are people who have Embiid behind Wiggins or Parker.

I'm in the same boat, I think the difference between Embiid and the field is bigger than the difference in tiers 2 and 3, with the possible exception of Exum who I do really like and is firmly #2 for me right now.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#567 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Wise1 wrote:Mike open your eyes man. George has no problem navigating through traffic with the ball attacking the rim. He also can create for teammates when he's stymied by bodies in the paint. Wiggins' ball handling is SUSPECT. I think Parker has better handles in traffic and in transition.

Nah you're rewritting history. George was greatly criticized for his ball handling ability coming out, along with a lot of things Wiggins is.

biggest weakness is his inability to create for himself

Lacks a great handle which limits his overall game

He needs to not always settle for the long ball, and use his strong body and basketball skillset to be a little more creative in regards to getting easier opportunities

At times he can be sloppy with the ball, throwing unreasonable passes while looking as if his head is not fully in the game

The first thing that pops off the page when looking at George’s numbers is his high turnover percentage

plays a bit too upright and must learn how to play lower to the ground, which should enhance his ability to utilize his athleticism.

Most glaring are his limitations as a shot-creator

He has average stationary ball handling skills and is capable of dribbling the ball on the perimeter at the WAC level, but when it comes to exploding by his man and getting into the teeth of the defense – he presently lacks that skill set

Tightening up his ball-handling skills and improving his ability to create in the half-court will be a key part of his development moving forward.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#568 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:13 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:

That doesn't make any sense. Who stands to gain more by lying to Ford? The five or six GMs at the top of the draft? Or the 24 GMs who don't have a shot at any of the top guys.

So if Philly, us and lets say LA told Ford that they have Wiggins on top of their board that doesn't hold mroe weight then 25 other teams that aren't slotted to be in the top 5? More teams can want Parker, the ones in a position to get either are the ones that matter. It's easily justified if the ones at the top have a different opinion.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#569 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Baddy Chuck wrote:So 30 NBA execs were polled, that would lead me to believe it was likely from 30 teams. Do you think Ford really cares what a team like Memphis or Charlotte has on top of their big board when they won't be anywhere near the #1 pick? 30 teams/people can have an opinion, only 5 or so matter regarding Wiggins/Parker/Embiid.

So if Philly, us and lets say LA told Ford that they have Wiggins on top of their board that doesn't hold mroe weight then 25 other teams that aren't slotted to be in the top 5? More teams can want Parker, the ones in a position to get either are the ones that matter. It's easily justified if the ones at the top have a different opinion.

Of course not. What is there to gain by being truthful with Ford?

If I want an honest answer I'm asking the guy with no dog in the fight and nothing to lose by being honest.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#570 » by Fort Minor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Wise1 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Philly, Utah, LA.....Embiid, Parker, Exum...not a possibility?

Even if is a possibility, the Bucks are not picking Smart ahead of Wiggins in that scenario.
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#571 » by Newz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:20 pm

I agree with DB. If I am a GM and Ford asks me who I like the most, I am telling him the most realistic guy that I like the least.

Also, Embiid should be number one. :D
Baddy Chuck
RealGM

Post#572 » by Baddy Chuck » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Of course not. What is there to gain by being truthful with Ford?

If I want an honest answer I'm asking the guy with no dog in the fight and nothing to lose by being honest.

So you're telling me that if us and Philly were two teams that told Goodman that we wanted to draft Wiggins first, which according to Ford is entirely plausible, that Ford having Wiggins #1 in his mock draft somehow isn't justified just because other teams said they would take Parker? 30 teams can have all the opinions in the world, only 3 likely matter come draft time and Ford is usually pretty locked in to them.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Post#573 » by raysbookclub » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:23 pm

jr lucosa wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:As crazy as it is to some people that there are those with Randle or Smart ahead of Parker or Exum, I think it's even more insane that there are people who have Embiid behind Wiggins or Parker.

I'm in the same boat, I think the difference between Embiid and the field is bigger than the difference in tiers 2 and 3, with the possible exception of Exum who I do really like and is firmly #2 for me right now.

If Embiid has any back issue that could be recurring, that's a big minus, especially for a big guy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#574 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Baddy Chuck wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Of course not. What is there to gain by being truthful with Ford?

So you're telling me that if us and Philly were two teams that told Goodman that we wanted to draft Wiggins first, which according to Ford is entirely plausible, that Ford having Wiggins #1 in his mock draft somehow isn't justified just because other teams said they would take Parker? 30 teams can have all the opinions in the world, only 3 likely matter come draft time and Ford is usually pretty locked in to them.

Ford got a couple picks right last year, but here are some quotes of his from the day of the draft last year:

Cleveland:
And if they keep the pick? General manager Chris Grant has been a Nerlens Noel guy all year. Other people in the front office are pushing for Len. I even heard, somewhat convincingly, that owner Dan Gilbert loves Oladipo!

With a split front office, the final decision comes to Grant. I think he's a Noel guy … but we'll all find out whether I'm reading the tea leaves correctly around 7:35 p.m.

Orlando:
I continue to hear that if the Cavs pass on Noel, the Magic are leaning strongly toward selecting Noel with the No. 2 pick in the draft.

Charlotte:
But my most convincing source persuaded me the Bobcats won't pass on McLemore if he's here.

Pelicans:
Last night they were leaning Carter-Williams, but tonight we're now hearing Burke.

Pistons:
For a third year in a row, the Pistons are hoping that one of the top seven players on the board takes a surprise dip on draft night. They might get their wish. While the team is after a point guard, Bennett might be too good to pass up. He can play both the 4 and the 3 and gives them another great scoring option in their frontcourt. Carter-Williams would be another serious option here.

Sixers:
The Sixers have been eyeing Zeller and hope he slides here. If he doesn't, they'll still go big with Adams.

Lotto teams feeding Ford loads of bull has become a spring time tradition.
jr lucosa
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,151

Post#575 » by jr lucosa » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:30 pm

books wrote:If Embiid has any back issue that could be recurring, that's a big minus, especially for a big guy.

I haven't read anything to think that this is some career threatening injury, I have read that it is very similar to what Andre Drummond dealt with as a rookie, the same Drummond who averaged 32 minutes in 81 games this season. Unless I've missed something recently stating Embiid's back being much more serious than originally thought I think the injury concern is being overblown quite a bit.
mlloyd10
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#576 » by mlloyd10 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Wise1 wrote:
mlloyd10 wrote:Can anyone tell me what separates Wiggins from 2010 Paul George?

Kirby, I know you don't want the Bucks taking Wiggins, but are the Bucks just one player away from their rebuild, or do they need another? If you are just 1 player away, you take Parker, but if they need more than 1, you take Wiggins. 2015 draft is stacked with big man and they can get one there next year. I can see the Bucks taking Parker and winning 25-30 wins next year - Picking 8-12 range.

Mike open your eyes man. George has no problem navigating through traffic with the ball attacking the rim. He also can create for teammates when he's stymied by bodies in the paint. Wiggins' ball handling is SUSPECT. I think Parker has better handles in traffic and in transition.

I think they are multiple players away Mike and I take the BETTER player every time. I think Jabari will be a better player than Wiggins period. It's that simple. I agree that Wiggins has the "potential" to be very good, but I wouldn't draft on potential when the other options are at least on the same tier.

So long as we have supreme tank commander Brandon Knight in the starting lineup sucking up shots and opportunity, this team will go nowhere near 30 wins. Remember, before the season started I was one of the few guys here that took the low end of the victory totem pole. It was all because of Brandon Knight's presence.

Kirby, I'm talking about George's 1st year - Not Now
Godgers
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#577 » by Godgers » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:42 pm

You can put Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum, Smart, and Randles name in a hat pick one and I would be happy with anyone.
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#578 » by H2tObes » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:44 pm

jr lucosa wrote:
books wrote:If Embiid has any back issue that could be recurring, that's a big minus, especially for a big guy.

I haven't read anything to think that this is some career threatening injury, I have read that it is very similar to what Andre Drummond dealt with as a rookie, the same Drummond who averaged 32 minutes in 81 games this season. Unless I've missed something recently stating Embiid's back being much more serious than originally thought I think the injury concern is being overblown quite a bit.

It's worth taking into concern when talking about the top pick obviously, no one is looking to draft the next Oden.

When talking purely as a prospect, Embiid is head and shoulders above the rest. But any injury concern is going to hurt a big mans stock. I for one believe that Embiid is a risky pick simply because I could see that back concern becoming a reoccurring theme.

It's kind of hard to overblow these things, because we simply dont know. But a 7 footer having to sit out the tournament because of a random back injury is obviously enough to raise some flags. Pretty straight forward
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,206

Post#579 » by skones » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:53 pm

mlloyd10 wrote:Can anyone tell me what separates Wiggins from 2010 Paul George?

Much better jumpshot (although his percentages dipped his sophomore year, his 3 point shot during his freshman campaign was far more advanced than Wiggins). Vision.

I was extremely high on George when he came out and I don't think he and Wiggins really compare. As I've stated numerous times, they have a few weaknesses in common, but their strengths aren't similar. The comparison is made because they're both big athletic wings.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#580 » by Badgerlander » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... pro-future

Randle could fall out of top five

Previously in running for top pick, PF may drop due to lack of jumper, defense

Comparables: Brandon Bass (96.1), J.J. Hickson (96.1), Al-Farouq Aminu (96.0), Spencer Hawes (95.8)

The analytics perspective
Randle's offensive numbers have been merely good, not dominant. Translated to its NBA equivalent, his 50.1 percent 2-point mark is only average -- below average for a power forward -- and his turnover rate is also a concern. Randle was elite on the glass, but more was expected out of a possible No. 1 pick.

The scouting perspective
Randle has a powerful physique that is mature beyond his 19 years of age, and uses it to his advantage to play "bully ball" in the paint. He plays with an unbelievable motor, giving third and fourth efforts in the paint, and converting offensive rebound opportunities at a high rate.

He doesn't have the greatest length, with a misleading wingspan of 6-foot-11 for his 6-9 height (misleading because at 8-9.5 feet, his standing reach is roughly the same as Andre Iguodala's, who's a 6-6 wing), but has a soft touch around the paint and manages to find a way to finish. Also, he has quick feet and likes to face up and attack off the dribble, and can either go around slower defenders or overwhelm and go through smaller ones. Despite this preference to play facing the basket, he struggles offensively outside the paint and has limited range on his jumper. He doesn't roll hard on pick-and-rolls, opting for pops or shallow rolls and then attacking off the dribble.

Randle is a tremendous defensive rebounder, corralling nearly a quarter of all opponent misses when he's on the floor. Plus, he has good lateral mobility which allows him to hold his own keeping guys in front of him, though he can struggle with any sort of complexity in opponent offenses (a great example would be the number of breakdowns switching on picks in the national title game). Also, he has a bad habit of ball-watching when guarding out in space, and can lose his man as a result.

The NBA front-office perspective
However, there are reservations. Randle was billed as a great shooter coming out of high school, but didn't show much of a perimeter game at Kentucky. He also seemed to struggle with length around the rim and doesn't have much of a right hand. Finally, as Pelton has pointed out, his effort defensively has been mediocre at best at times.

While I don't think he's in the mix for the No. 1 pick, he should go somewhere between No. 4 and No. 8 on draft night. The big question for him will be how he stacks up with two other power forwards on our board: Aaron Gordon and Noah Vonleh. Both are unique players, and some NBA teams like them even more than Randle. It may come down to workouts with those three.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks