ImageImage

Introspective Article on Knight

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Fan from Dade
Junior
And1: 74

Introspective Article on Knight 

Post#1 » by Fan from Dade » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 am

Just in case guys wanted to get to know more about who he is. This article is pretty well written and gives quite a bit of insight on the kid. Like him or not, it's a good read.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/ ... tml?page=1
SeaLORD_0318
Senior
And1: 185

Re: Introspective Article on Knight 

Post#2 » by SeaLORD_0318 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:11 am

I know I'm in the minority here but I hope he finds his niche with the Bucks. Love his attitude and aggressive play especially the way he takes it to the rack. Like he said in the article the Bucks need a couple quality vet's for mentorship with a team this young.
"Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#3 » by AussieBuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40 am

Great kid, crap player. Hope we get a late first for him.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,750

Post#4 » by Licensed to Il » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 am

I really like Knight, always have. He just is not a pure point guard. He doesn't set guys up well enough to be the primary ball handler, and I don't think he ever will have that ability.

I love his competitiveness, he is s good spot up shooter, and he can get to the rim. I do think he has a little bit of the Monta Ellis syndrome where he could go to a team with good personnel and a good coach and drastically improve all his numbers. I kind of hope he sticks around for awhile, just not as our starting point guard.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#5 » by WRau1 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:31 am

He'd be an elite 6th man but rarely does a young player except and embrace that role. I'd definitely take a 1st for him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#6 » by JoeHova » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 am

AussieBuck wrote:Hope we get a late first for him.

That would be excellent. I hope whoever ends up running the draft shops him hard.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Post#7 » by cinematographer » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:46 am

I think he can fetch more than a late first. I also think a competent coach -- with Sanders and/or Embiid protecting the rim -- will do wonders for him. His shooting is dramatically better off the ball, and if his appetite for bad pull ups can be quelled, there's real value there. As it is, his floor makes it a plus-EV play to turn down a late-first.

But, as part of a deal for Phoenix's mid-firsts? Yes please.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#8 » by breakchains » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:01 am

I would love nothing more than to cash in on Knight and get pick(s) out of him. I think it's very unlikely to happen, no matter who is the GM the next two months.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#9 » by Jez2983 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:31 am

'Knight has shined...?'

How about 'Knight has shone'?????

Interesting to note Knight has had spinal surgery, and people are worried about Embiid.

He'd be a really good player on another team, with a strong primary ball carrier to defer to. Potentially he works with say Exum and Giannis, but there has to be a coach that runs with him as that other option.

I'd love to get another pick out of him.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#10 » by step3profit » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:42 am

I don't mind him at all as the first guard off the bench, especially if you have a competent playmaker at any position on the floor.

I absolutely don't want him initiating the offense though.

"Initiating".

Having the ball all the time.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#11 » by bizarro » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 am

Brandon is a great kid. In a star-studded, ego-driven, 'Me, Me, Me' NBA...he is a breath of fresh air. No doubt about it.

AND, he improved immensely this season. Cine speaks to this above. Off-ball he's gotten better. And, I would propose we may even me able to see him as a 6th man playing w/ Natters if the new HC has the smarts to put Giannis at the PG position :)

AND, at the same time, I brought this up several times this year: Where was his defense? He was a matador. An absolute matador. Perhaps, no player suffered more from Larry's absence than Brandon. And, because Jenning swas so bad in years past I think it affected a lot here to see how bad he truly was on-ball defending. This passage really re-affirmed my sentiments:

Knight's Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is at a career high 16.3, but it's just above the league average of 15.0. He was well below that average number his first two years in Detroit.

His win shares this season have doubled his previous two, his turnover percentage is way down and his assist percentage is way up, but his defensive rating (an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions) and effective field goal percentage are at a career worst.

ESPN's new metrics are not kind at all, however, rating Knight as one of the worst players in the league in its Wins Above Replacement formula, ranking him 395th out of 435 players with a -1.02 WAR. (Larry Sanders, on the other hand, posted a 1.47 WAR in just 23 games and is ranked 163rd in the league).

In ESPN.com's advanced metrics, Knight posted a -3.07 "real plus/minus" with his defensive RPM, or DRPM, being his biggest negative at -2.22. According to ESPN.com, that rates a "player's estimated on-court impact on team defensive performance, measured in points allowed per 100 defensive possessions."

That rates Knight as the 380th worst defensive player in the league.
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#12 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:53 am

I still think he can be a starter for us if we use giannis as our main pg. he's a perfect 3 and d guy
Dobber-16
Assistant Coach
And1: 439

Post#13 » by Dobber-16 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:23 pm

Knight is an undersized SG, should be used as an off the bench scorer. Has no business initiating the offense.

Trade him for a pick, or involve him a larger deal for an upgrade at PG.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: all you guys bitching sound like fixed income grandmas at the grocery store.
breakchains
General Manager
And1: 2,708

Post#14 » by breakchains » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Dobber-16 wrote:Knight is an undersized SG, should be used as an off the bench scorer. Has no business initiating the offense.

Trade him for a pick, or involve him a larger deal for an upgrade at PG.

Right on the money.

The kid is a talented individual player, which is why he was able to score the way he did, but he is not a winning player as a starter in the NBA. The Bucks should flip these types of players for assets until the Bucks are ready to look for such complementary pieces after they have their core in place.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#15 » by AussieBuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm

I just don't see him at this stage of his career deferring to younger players. Sure he'd be great in a limited role but I just don't see it on this team. I could see Houston platooning him with Beverly if they offload Lin or some other role like that but I don't think he's going to work on a really young team.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#16 » by Newz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Unless we draft Exum or Smart this year, I'd much prefer a guy like Wolters playing the point while we develop Giannis and whoever else we are drafting. Wolters isn't going to get in their way, he isn't going to dominate the ball, he isn't going to take a bunch of bad shots and he is going to make the right play more often than not.

To me Wolters seems like the ideal guy for what the Bucks should be trying to do for the next three to five years... which is developing as much young talent as possible.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#17 » by DutchManDanFan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm

bizarro wrote:Brandon is a great kid. In a star-studded, ego-driven, 'Me, Me, Me' NBA...he is a breath of fresh air. No doubt about it.

Maybe I read another article, but I didn´t see any quote that he wants the best for the team. All I read is he wants to become a better player, for himself. His work ethic looks great but does he want to or can he become a team player?
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#18 » by Chapter29 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:49 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Great kid, crap player. Hope we get a late first for him.

Crap player? Ya.....um no. A decent bench player would be more accurate imo.

I would love to trade him as he's not a great player and right about now filling out the roster with quality role players isn't our top priority. IMO he would be a good scorer and defender off the bench moving forward. A great person with a good work ethic is not a bad thing either.

I don't think however that a late 1st will deliver a player of his quality. Perhaps a pick in the high teens would. Same with Ersan whom I would also love to see traded for the right pick / young player.
Giannis
is
UponUs
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#19 » by AussieBuck » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Chapter29 wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:Great kid, crap player. Hope we get a late first for him.

Crap player? Ya.....um no. A decent bench player would be more accurate imo.

I would love to trade him as he's not a great player and right about now filling out the roster with quality role players isn't our top priority. IMO he would be a good scorer and defender off the bench moving forward. A great person with a good work ethic is not a bad thing either.

I don't think however that a late 1st will deliver a player of his quality. Perhaps a pick in the high teens would. Same with Ersan whom I would also love to see traded for the right pick / young player.

Eh, until I see him succeed in a more suited role I'm more than happy to refer to him by his current playing standard.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#20 » by Newz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:03 pm

AussieBuck wrote:Eh, until I see him succeed in a more suited role I'm more than happy to refer to him by his current playing standard.

I bet a good situation could turn him into a solid sixth man type. Like if he landed in San Antonio, I bet Pop could "get the best out of him". On a team that is likely going to be rebuilding for the next few years though, he just seems like a terrible fit... he's more of a ball dominant point or an undersized 2 who can't stretch the floor. Why would you want a guy like that on the team when he doesn't have star potential and you are trying to develop other youthful players?

Return to Milwaukee Bucks