Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,082

Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2401 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:12 pm

Jollay wrote:We need offense more, but don't sleep on Justin Anderson. He fits Kidd's system like a glove and is extremely physical.

Probably would go Kaminsky or Booker or someone who could score more first, but Anderson wouldn't surprise me at all, and his O still has upside. He can also attack the rim. Needs to improve creating his own shot, though.

His upside is Jimmy Butler. I have no problem with him in the 1st.
Buck Dweller
Starter
And1: 988

Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2402 » by Buck Dweller » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:14 pm

It confuses me how some people think getting a defensive center is a must after watching our 2nd ranked defense all year. You know, the one with Zaza and clueless John at the 5.

This team needs offense, specifically 3pt shooting. Give me Kaminsky or one of the guards in our range.

Sent from my iPod touch using RealGM Forums
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#2403 » by mattg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Jollay wrote:We need offense more, but don't sleep on Justin Anderson. He fits Kidd's system like a glove and is extremely physical.

Probably would go Kaminsky or Booker or someone who could score more first, but Anderson wouldn't surprise me at all, and his O still has upside. He can also attack the rim. Needs to improve creating his own shot, though.[/quote

His upside is Jimmy Butler. I have no problem with him in the 1st.

Yeah Anderson at worst is going to be an athletic wing defender. But he could very well be a legit 3+D guy. Who knows, maybe he gets better attacking close outs and develops an opportunistic offensive game in the next few years.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,772

Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2404 » by emunney » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 pm

Buckrageous wrote:What are the protections on that 2017 Clipppers pick? They could be a couple summers of Doc Rivers GMing and an injury away from being a nice pick. I'm hoping it becomes a Eddy Cuury situation one year.

It's lotto protected for a few years, then it turns into 2 2nds.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,506

Post#2405 » by SupremeHustle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:31 pm

Crap shoot anyway. If the PG we want is gone, take the George Lucas kid.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#2406 » by Buckrageous » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 pm

emunney wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:What are the protections on that 2017 Clipppers pick? They could be a couple summers of Doc Rivers GMing and an injury away from being a nice pick. I'm hoping it becomes a Eddy Cuury situation one year.

It's lotto protected for a few years, then it turns into 2 2nds.

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I guess I hope the bottom doesn't drop out in LA, no use for multiple seconds.
emunney
RealGM

Post#2407 » by emunney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:50 am

DX right now has us taking Lyles immediately in front of Looney and Jones which is the worst realistic thing I could imagine us doing without a trade.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM

Post#2408 » by emunney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:53 am

Also I found the Raptors' first rounder:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcKvxOav5tE[/youtube]
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#2409 » by Treebeard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:20 am

Do the Bucks run the same defense next season - IF there's more change in the roster? Part 2 of that question - if the defensive model changes does that alter what criteria is used to classify "Best Player Available"? I'd bet no two teams have the same criteria there....
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,336

Post#2410 » by crkone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:34 am

BucksIn6ix wrote:It confuses me how some people think getting a defensive center is a must after watching our 2nd ranked defense all year. You know, the one with Zaza and clueless John at the 5.

This team needs offense, specifically 3pt shooting. Give me Kaminsky or one of the guards in our range.

Sent from my iPod touch using RealGM Forums

Our rebounding is awful most of the time, and Giannis and Parker can expend more energy on offense instead of worrying about staying in front of their man on defense. Dribble penetration kills the Bucks at times as seen in the past 4 games and that will help. Kaminsky won't make the defense better and very well could make it way worse if he's starting at the 5. I already said I don't care what position the draft pick plays or what his skill is as long as he's the best on the board.
crkone
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2411 » by crkone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:40 am

MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:
Wisconsin plays a completely different defense from the Bucks. The Bucks defense is designed to take pressure off the bigs by jamming things up at the perimeter.

Not really relevant to be honest. The different style isn't going to suddenly make kaminsky a rim protecter or a good post defender. As for the bucks style taking pressure off the bigs, somewhat. However there is far more scrambling in the bucks defense which is just a different kind of pressure. If you're late or you miss a rotation you just gave up a wide open layup. Further, in college due to the smaller court and lack of 3 secs it's significantly easier to contain penetration before a big needs to even rotate and containing the paint in general.

I just love the 'Frank would be a defensive liability' bandwagon.

You know Zaza freaking Pachulia, a man who might was well wear a suit of armor on the floor has been the starting center all year.for a top-5 defense, right?

There is NO WAY Kaminsky would be worse than Pachulia.

Zaza does have like 50 lbs on Frank, he can't be backed down. That is huge in post defense. Not to mention he's been in the league forever and knows the pro game.
MontaHaveABall
Freshman
And1: 12

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Middle of the pack (familiar territory)- '15 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2412 » by MontaHaveABall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:01 am

crkone wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:Not really relevant to be honest. The different style isn't going to suddenly make kaminsky a rim protecter or a good post defender. As for the bucks style taking pressure off the bigs, somewhat. However there is far more scrambling in the bucks defense which is just a different kind of pressure. If you're late or you miss a rotation you just gave up a wide open layup. Further, in college due to the smaller court and lack of 3 secs it's significantly easier to contain penetration before a big needs to even rotate and containing the paint in general.

You know Zaza freaking Pachulia, a man who might was well wear a suit of armor on the floor has been the starting center all year.for a top-5 defense, right?

Zaza does have like 50 lbs on Frank, he can't be backed down. That is huge in post defense. Not to mention he's been in the league forever and knows the pro game.
When's the last time you saw Henson get backed down, though?

The Bucks have elite help defense, that'll mitigate the few back-to-basket threats they'll see. It's really not that common anymore.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#2413 » by Treebeard » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:08 am

crkone wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:Not really relevant to be honest. The different style isn't going to suddenly make kaminsky a rim protecter or a good post defender. As for the bucks style taking pressure off the bigs, somewhat. However there is far more scrambling in the bucks defense which is just a different kind of pressure. If you're late or you miss a rotation you just gave up a wide open layup. Further, in college due to the smaller court and lack of 3 secs it's significantly easier to contain penetration before a big needs to even rotate and containing the paint in general.

How many years (of 30+minutes/game) does Zaza have left in him as a productive player? He's got a lot of mileage on him, and as we've seen, the quality of his play varies considerably - even within a game. Whether you find his replacement through the draft, Free Agency, or via trade - that really needs to happen this summer. Zaza can run out the duration of his career off the bench, if that works
mattg
General Manager

Post#2414 » by mattg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:19 am

Being good as a post defender is about more than just not getting backed down. In the nba post defense starts long before the catch, and keeping guys from establishing good position. And that's where kaminsky has issues, and so does a guy like Henson too. They simply can't keep their man from setting up where he wants and getting a touch there, which is vital in today's nba that uses the post up more as an initial action to force a defensive rotation than anything else.
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Post#2415 » by MontaHaveABall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:21 am

The Bucks don't care about having a rotation forced, they rotate everything anyways.
mattg
General Manager

Re: 

Post#2416 » by mattg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:43 am

MontaHaveABall wrote:The Bucks don't care about having a rotation forced, they rotate everything anyways.

Not sure if trolling or just doesn't understand.
MontaHaveABall
Freshman

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#2417 » by MontaHaveABall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:13 am

mattg wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:The Bucks don't care about having a rotation forced, they rotate everything anyways.

How are they handling Pau Gasol post ups? Getting backed down? No. They overswitch like always and double-team. It's not like the post is some glaring weakness. Finesse jumpshooting bigs are what gives them problems.

Seems to me that getting posted up is not even a problem for this defense, no matter who's at center.

The Bucks only get beaten badly by the three ball.
crkone
RealGM

Post#2418 » by crkone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Treebeard wrote:
crkone wrote:
MontaHaveABall wrote:

How many years (of 30+minutes/game) does Zaza have left in him as a productive player? He's got a lot of mileage on him, and as we've seen, the quality of his play varies considerably - even within a game. Whether you find his replacement through the draft, Free Agency, or via trade - that really needs to happen this summer. Zaza can run out the duration of his career off the bench, if that works

I disagree that it needs to happen this summer. The Bucks are 6 years away from Giannis' and Parker's prime years. They can find someone within 6 years.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
crkone
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: 

Post#2419 » by crkone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 pm

MontaHaveABall wrote:
mattg wrote:

How are they handling Pau Gasol post ups? Getting backed down? No. They overswitch like always and double-team. It's not like the post is some glaring weakness. Finesse jumpshooting bigs are what gives them problems.

Seems to me that getting posted up is not even a problem for this defense, no matter who's at center.

The Bucks only get beaten badly by the three ball.

Uh the Bucks get badly beat by the 3 ball because of their defense. If they had a competent defender in the middle, they wouldn't have to double the post and leave open the 3 point shooter on the other side of the floor. Their defense may work against certain teams, but it can absolutely kill you against even average 3 point shooting teams as you can see against the Bulls. If you don't have to constantly double and rotate on defense, you'll have the energy to run plays on offense instead of just standing around at the end of games like the Bucks' starters do every game.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#2420 » by Badgerlander » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:42 pm

emunney wrote:DX right now has us taking Lyles immediately in front of Looney and Jones which is the worst realistic thing I could imagine us doing without a trade.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... yer-in-nba
Lyles only made 30.8 percent of his catch-and-shoot opportunities this season. This number wasn't just because he took a lot of 3s either, as his .673 points-per-possession was only in the 15th percentile among all college players this season. It was even worse among players who had at least 50 catch-and-shoot attempts this season, as he finished tied for 1,336th out of 1,364 players, good for the third percentile in the country.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks