OT: Video Gaming Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,056

Re: OT: Video Gaming Thread 

Post#301 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Got back into console Diablo 3 last week because Reaper of Souls for the 360 is coming. Love that game. Monk is at Paragon Level 2.

Just finally noticed that RoS isn't going to be straight DLC, but rather a $39.99 Ultimate Evil Edition version. Wondering if it's really worth it.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#302 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Got back into console Diablo 3 last week because Reaper of Souls for the 360 is coming. Love that game. Monk is at Paragon Level 2.

Just finally noticed that RoS isn't going to be straight DLC, but rather a $39.99 Ultimate Evil Edition version. Wondering if it's really worth it.

Well, considering it has the base game with it and the PC RoS expansion was $39.99 by itself, that is decent value. You also can transfer your character over for console, so that it's not like you need to start all over.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#303 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Got back into console Diablo 3 last week because Reaper of Souls for the 360 is coming. Love that game. Monk is at Paragon Level 2.

Well, considering it has the base game with it and the PC RoS expansion was $39.99 by itself, that is decent value. You also can transfer your character over for console, so that it's not like you need to start all over.

It's an amazing value if you didn't own Diablo 3 previously. I'm not sure it's much of a value if all you're getting is a raised cap, adventure mode and a six hour act V.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#304 » by chuckleslove » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:45 pm

I think you get the new rifts and tiered rifts as well. I don't recall what all they are adding to RoS on console vs PC. I play it from time to time on PC but get bored pretty quickly. I think I'm paragon 250 or so on the PC.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Post#305 » by Allanon23 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

It's an amazing value if you didn't own Diablo 3 previously. I'm not sure it's much of a value if all you're getting is a raised cap, adventure mode and a six hour act V.

RoS is about 100x better than vanilla D3. Adventure mode and rifting add a ton of content.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#306 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Allanon23 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:Well, considering it has the base game with it and the PC RoS expansion was $39.99 by itself, that is decent value. You also can transfer your character over for console, so that it's not like you need to start all over.

RoS is about 100x better than vanilla D3. Adventure mode and rifting add a ton of content.

Good to hear. Guess I'll be picking it up.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#307 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 pm

chuckleslove wrote:I think you get the new rifts and tiered rifts as well. I don't recall what all they are adding to RoS on console vs PC. I play it from time to time on PC but get bored pretty quickly. I think I'm paragon 250 or so on the PC.

Just curious, are you a Path of Exile fan? By no means is it a rule, but it always seems that people that loved Diablo 2, but were disappointed or bored with Diablo 3, just absolutely love PoE.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#308 » by chuckleslove » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:40 am

Sauce Boss wrote:
chuckleslove wrote:I think you get the new rifts and tiered rifts as well. I don't recall what all they are adding to RoS on console vs PC. I play it from time to time on PC but get bored pretty quickly. I think I'm paragon 250 or so on the PC.

Just curious, are you a Path of Exile fan? By no means is it a rule, but it always seems that people that loved Diablo 2, but were disappointed or bored with Diablo 3, just absolutely love PoE.

I tried PoE couldn't get much in to that either, I was also mediocre on Diablo 2 as well. I'm just not huge on the hack and slash RPG gamestyle.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Allanon23
Senior
And1: 102

Post#309 » by Allanon23 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:

PoE is fantastic. The expansion drops later today. I only play in the 3-4 month leagues though, and I normally get bored after like a month. Still though, it has the best leveling/skill system in the genre, by far.
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#310 » by Lippo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:28 pm

Me and a bunch of buddies have a Madden connected franchise league and we are thinking of all updating our consoles from the 360's to the One's, but I have read that some people actually prefer playing their games on the 360 do to lag issues etc.. It also kind of vexes me to swap over because we have 3 360's and about 50 games and making all that obsolete would suck not too mention fighting over the One if it is indeed better. Why couldn't Microsoft make the One play 360 games...:/

Anyone have any advice, advocates of the One?

No.. not going the PS route.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#311 » by Newz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 pm

Allanon23 wrote:
Sauce Boss wrote:

PoE is fantastic. The expansion drops later today. I only play in the 3-4 month leagues though, and I normally get bored after like a month. Still though, it has the best leveling/skill system in the genre, by far.

If you could take all of the mechanics/loot/skill system/etc. out of PoE and pair it with the smooth combat of Diablo 3, you'd have the greatest game in the history of games.

Sadly PoE's combat system is pretty average and Diablo 3 is pretty much total poop outside of the combat. :(
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#312 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:21 pm

I love D3: Ultimate Edition, but I couldn't even begin to imagine how much I'd hate it on a PC. Pointing and clicking constantly while staring at a monitor sounds like punishment.
Lippo
Lead Assistant

Post#313 » by Lippo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I love D3: Ultimate Edition, but I couldn't even begin to imagine how much I'd hate it on a PC. Pointing and clicking constantly while staring at a monitor sounds like punishment.

don't you play cookie clicker?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#314 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Lippo wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I love D3: Ultimate Edition, but I couldn't even begin to imagine how much I'd hate it on a PC. Pointing and clicking constantly while staring at a monitor sounds like punishment.

don't you play cookie clicker?

Did, but you only click that for about twenty minutes.
chuckleslove
RealGM

Post#315 » by chuckleslove » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:25 pm

You barely have to click on D3, just hold down your primary attack and push some buttons. It isn't the clicking that loses me there just isn't much point to playing end game and the biggest problem I have is that you get the same loot from any torment difficulty, just higher drop rates. They should have made each torment difficulty also drop slightly better rolled gear, like 5% higher stat cap and floor on each torment difficulty or something.

I got an insane weapon from my first Malthael kill which was great but it would have been nice to realistically be able to upgrade it but it was next to impossible.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#316 » by Ayt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:35 am

I honestly don't get the allure of a game like Diablo. What do people relate to in that game? What causes you to come back day after day?
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#317 » by mattg » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:39 am

Ayt wrote:I honestly don't get the allure of a game like Diablo. What do people relate to in that game? What causes you to come back day after day?

The loot. That moment when you kill something and a super rare item drops from it. It's a rush. Then the subsequent usage of the item to wreck face for a while.

I'm just guessing though, I've never been into Diablo. But that's a big part of why games like borderlands are fun.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#318 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:17 pm

mattg wrote:
Ayt wrote:I honestly don't get the allure of a game like Diablo. What do people relate to in that game? What causes you to come back day after day?

The loot. That moment when you kill something and a super rare item drops from it. It's a rush. Then the subsequent usage of the item to wreck face for a while.

I'm just guessing though, I've never been into Diablo. But that's a big part of why games like borderlands are fun.

Yup. I like Borderlands quite a bit more, but this is like a nice, simple version of that same concept.
Lippo
Lead Assistant

Post#319 » by Lippo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah when Diablo 3 first came out on the PC I had some old warcraft friends that converted to it and made a living selling items on the Auction House, they made over 3-5k on single items, its amazing what people will pay for a virtual item. Hell I have sold some of my warcraft toons for over 1500 just because of their titles.
My nephew is 19 now and hates Runescape but still plays it 2-3 hours a day as a means of income, he just paid 12,000 cash for a 2009 eclispe.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#320 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:21 pm

mattg wrote:

That and character building. In most of the games you can customize your skill tree and gear to make unique characters that play differently from one another. It is kind of like playing an MMO-lite, constantly working on character progression, occasionally tackling the game cooperatively (because of the lack of a persistent world), and with more hack 'n' slash type game play.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks