ImageImage

OT: Video Gaming Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Re: OT: Video Gaming Thread 

Post#841 » by WRau1 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:24 am

Resident Evil 4 is in my top10 of all time, such a great game.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Post#842 » by Insomniaac » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:28 am

Any of you play madden or 2k15? That's all I'm about.. I'm lost on this thread
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#843 » by Prince12 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:51 pm

Mlb the show, Madden 15 and 2k15 is all im into aswell..
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#844 » by TroyD92 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:57 pm

BallinBucks420 wrote:sorry if this was brought up before but havent checked just got Farcry 4 for christmas and was wondering if anyones played it on ps4 and liked it.. looked up some videos on it on youtube and it looked real sweet

I haven't played it, but Far Cry games are generally just fun. I doubt they changed the formula much. Far Cry 3 was awesome even with probably the worst story I can recall.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,680

Post#845 » by Matches Malone » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:59 pm

MKE wrote:Any of you play madden or 2k15? That's all I'm about.. I'm lost on this thread

Prince12 wrote:Mlb the show, Madden 15 and 2k15 is all im into aswell..

I mostly play these games as well with the occasional racing game or GTA5, and those Batman games. Never got into the whole fantasy roll playing, mmo, whatever else is out there. However, I am starting up War Thunder for the PS4 and found that to be a lot of fun if you're into flying games and World War II aviation.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Prince12
RealGM
And1: 2,750

Post#846 » by Prince12 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:10 pm

Might have to give it a go. Honestly the main reason why i stick to sports games cause when it come to shooting games, im bad...real bad.
@mkebucksaus just kicking off. Give it a follow!

https://twitter.com/mkebucksaus
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#847 » by Sauce Boss » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:27 pm

MKE wrote:Any of you play madden or 2k15? That's all I'm about.. I'm lost on this thread

I use to be really into them, but I don't own a console right now so I don't play either (just a PC and a 3DS at the moment). Oddly, video game versions of professional sports, namely ESPN NFL 2k5 (the greatest sports game, ever), got me into following sports. I bought ESPN NBA 2k5 because of how much I loved the NFL version and that pretty much got me into basketball. From there I tried to learn as much about teams and what trades were realistic, etc... and that eventually led me to become a member here. Kind of a funny story, actually.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Insomniaac
Rookie
And1: 994

Post#848 » by Insomniaac » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:41 pm

The only non-sports game I was ever really into and good at was Halo, has anyone here played the Halo 5 beta?
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#849 » by Sauce Boss » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:05 pm

Haven't been in this thread for a little while. Wanted to check in and see if anyone has been taking advantage of the Steam sales and what they've all picked up so far. I've been having a very light winter sale, only picking up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Super Time Force Ultra, and splitting a Gauntlet 4-Pack with some friends.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Re: Re: OT: Video Gaming Thread 

Post#850 » by Aaron It Out » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:28 pm

Sauce Boss wrote:Haven't been in this thread for a little while. Wanted to check in and see if anyone has been taking advantage of the Steam sales and what they've all picked up so far. I've been having a very light winter sale, only picking up Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Super Time Force Ultra, and splitting a Gauntlet 4-Pack with some friends.

The only game I've actually bought so far is the Fallout 3 GOTY, which I've already put countless hours into it just wanted it officially in my steam library. I haven't played the DLC before so I'm looking forward to another run through.

I didn't have any money the first few days so I missed out on walking dead 2 for 6.49 and Bully for 2.99. I know at least TWD2 will go back on sale the last day, probably missed Bully for a while though. I was also thinking about grabbing Deadlight for 1.99. It sounds pretty worth it for the price. I'm sure there are others that will come along in the next couple days. Dream is another one I've been watching. It's the only early access game I've thought of purchasing, but I'm still pretty hesitant.

There are also a few games where that are so cheap, like 9 or 13 cents. You can just run them in the background and let them drop their 3 cards. You can sell the cards for more than what you paid for the game. Only a few cents but with a cards for every community choice vote you can usually get a (cheap) game for free.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using RealGM Forums mobile app
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#851 » by BobbyLight » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:41 pm

I started Dragon Age: Inquisition this weekend. I didn't care for what I played of the first, but the feedback this one was getting was great so I had to check it out. That and there's a real lack of stuff to play on next gen consoles.

Great game, only about 4 hours in. I get lost in all the lore, it's too much for my ADD, but what I am picking up is interesting and the bottom line is the game is just fun to play. I am a sucker for the combat, looting and the side quests are even fun. I can see myself pouring a lot of time into this game.
Miasma
Rookie
And1: 1,422

Post#852 » by Miasma » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:00 am

So, I never post in this thread because all I still play is old NES and SNES games. I've seen rom hacks online before, but I don't really care for playing games on computers. I recently came across sites that sell the actual NES and SNES cartridges of new versions of classic games. I picked up a few new versions of the original Legend of Zelda and Mario 3. I haven't got the Zelda games yet, but I started playing a game called Mario Adventure on my NES emulator, and it's fantastic. I never thought I'd see new versions of the games that I've played since I was a kid, and I was not disappointed. If this game came out in 1992, no one would question that it was Super Mario 4. Same graphics, same music, very similar game play. I'd liken the difficulty to the Japanese version of Super Mario 2, if not harder. The main differences are that there are no lives (since whoever made this game made it sadistically hard), there's random weather, you use coins instead to buy items at the mushroom houses, and you have to find hidden keys in each world that unlock level 8. There's Boom-Booms at the end of each level, sometimes up to three, so mastering an entire level means nothing if you can't fight through these bosses at the end, and they're insanely difficult. I doubt many of you care about old games, but if you grew up with this stuff, it's the most amazing thing ever. I really never thought I'd be able to have the same feeling of playing these games brand new as a kid replicated in adulthood. I can't wait to try out the Zelda versions. Here's a link to Mario Adventure.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_EebdgsCIY[/youtube]
nmeurett
Bench Warmer
And1: 212

Post#853 » by nmeurett » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 pm

MKE wrote:The only non-sports game I was ever really into and good at was Halo, has anyone here played the Halo 5 beta?

Yeah I was in the pre Beta and now the official Beta and the game is really fun. If you ever want to play my xbl sn is wiscompton715

Its much better to go in with a party of people who can all talk.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#854 » by crkone » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:08 pm

Miasma wrote:So, I never post in this thread because all I still play is old NES and SNES games. I've seen rom hacks online before, but I don't really care for playing games on computers. I recently came across sites that sell the actual NES and SNES cartridges of new versions of classic games. I picked up a few new versions of the original Legend of Zelda and Mario 3. I haven't got the Zelda games yet, but I started playing a game called Mario Adventure on my NES emulator, and it's fantastic. I never thought I'd see new versions of the games that I've played since I was a kid, and I was not disappointed. If this game came out in 1992, no one would question that it was Super Mario 4. Same graphics, same music, very similar game play. I'd liken the difficulty to the Japanese version of Super Mario 2, if not harder. The main differences are that there are no lives (since whoever made this game made it sadistically hard), there's random weather, you use coins instead to buy items at the mushroom houses, and you have to find hidden keys in each world that unlock level 8. There's Boom-Booms at the end of each level, sometimes up to three, so mastering an entire level means nothing if you can't fight through these bosses at the end, and they're insanely difficult. I doubt many of you care about old games, but if you grew up with this stuff, it's the most amazing thing ever. I really never thought I'd be able to have the same feeling of playing these games brand new as a kid replicated in adulthood. I can't wait to try out the Zelda versions. Here's a link to Mario Adventure.

That looks great. Dumbest thing I ever did was sell my NES.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,313

Post#855 » by KidA24 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Miasma wrote:So, I never post in this thread because all I still play is old NES and SNES games. I've seen rom hacks online before, but I don't really care for playing games on computers. I recently came across sites that sell the actual NES and SNES cartridges of new versions of classic games. I picked up a few new versions of the original Legend of Zelda and Mario 3. I haven't got the Zelda games yet, but I started playing a game called Mario Adventure on my NES emulator, and it's fantastic. I never thought I'd see new versions of the games that I've played since I was a kid, and I was not disappointed. If this game came out in 1992, no one would question that it was Super Mario 4. Same graphics, same music, very similar game play. I'd liken the difficulty to the Japanese version of Super Mario 2, if not harder. The main differences are that there are no lives (since whoever made this game made it sadistically hard), there's random weather, you use coins instead to buy items at the mushroom houses, and you have to find hidden keys in each world that unlock level 8. There's Boom-Booms at the end of each level, sometimes up to three, so mastering an entire level means nothing if you can't fight through these bosses at the end, and they're insanely difficult. I doubt many of you care about old games, but if you grew up with this stuff, it's the most amazing thing ever. I really never thought I'd be able to have the same feeling of playing these games brand new as a kid replicated in adulthood. I can't wait to try out the Zelda versions. Here's a link to Mario Adventure.

That's too cool. I have had many an old NES game night with friends, including what turned out to be amazingly hilarious and needed to be replicated, "Power Pad" night.

Amongst those who were there under the age of 30, most of them had no idea what the power pad even was.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#856 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:50 pm

So I'm a good 14 hours into Dragon Age: Origins and the story is pretty interesting, but I must say it's the one thing keeping me playing. The combat is....interesting. Not a big fan of the combat mechanics, but I do enjoy the challenge it provides (Mass Effect games got almost too easy).

I didn't realize until now that you essentially need two mages in your party (rogues are pretty worthless) if you want to survive most fights without using up all your potions and stuff, at least for me anyways. The difference is pretty ridiculous. I started absolutely wrecking whole groups of enemies as soon as I started rolling with my 2 mage, 2 warrior lineup.

Even so, you almost have to do tedious amounts of micromanaging in the combat wheel (lots of switching and pausing) to really maximize the effectiveness of your spells and skills. Is DA Inquisition combat similar? Or did they really overhaul it Mass Effect 2 style?
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#857 » by Sauce Boss » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:So I'm a good 14 hours into Dragon Age: Origins and the story is pretty interesting, but I must say it's the one thing keeping me playing. The combat is....interesting. Not a big fan of the combat mechanics, but I do enjoy the challenge it provides (Mass Effect games got almost too easy).

I didn't realize until now that you essentially need two mages in your party (rogues are pretty worthless) if you want to survive most fights without using up all your potions and stuff, at least for me anyways. The difference is pretty ridiculous. I started absolutely wrecking whole groups of enemies as soon as I started rolling with my 2 mage, 2 warrior lineup.

Even so, you almost have to do tedious amounts of micromanaging in the combat wheel (lots of switching and pausing) to really maximize the effectiveness of your spells and skills. Is DA Inquisition combat similar? Or did they really overhaul it Mass Effect 2 style?

I took a break after plowing through Origins and 2 this month, only have three hours on Inquisition. You can jump, manually cast what were auto-attacks in Origins, etc... It also still has the pausing for tactical needs, it's a good modernization from what I played.

That said, since I'm probably the most recent to get through Origins, totally agree that you need to roll two warriors and two mages. If I went back and did it again I might even consider doing one warrior and three mages. I loaded up my player character as a weapon and shield warrior with champion and templar specializations to make him tanky. Make sure to grab cone of cold early levels on someone like Morrigan, as it is incredibly useful at the beginning of the game. I'd then recommend looking into skills like sleep and paralyze to give you tons of CC. Spec Winne as a a pure team healer and then make that last character someone like Sten or Ohgren to deal damage up close.

Last note, if you are just going through the series for the first time like I did make sure to play Dragon Age 2 after you are done. It wasn't my favorite game, but I think it is kind of necessary to appreciate how Inquisition blends the best aspects of both previous games and will make you enjoy it more. Just my two cents.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,072

Post#858 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Polygon's game of the Year is Dragon Age: Inqusition. Can't really argue against the pick.

That said, as someone who dumped 100 hours into the game, I agree with something a writer at Kotaku said with regards to the game:Dragon Age Inquisition has a filler problem.

Last night a character in Inquisition tasked me with finding five of a certain type of herb. The character told me her clan was having a tough time trying to survive and needed this herb to make the situation better. I thought to myself, OK, this isn't the most interesting side quest, but if I see this herb along the way, I'll collect it. Why not? I then took approximately ten steps away from this character, and noticed five of said herb growing right there, in front of the person that gave me the quest. I was incredulous. And no, I was not in the Hinterlands.7

It doesn't matter if you're in the Hinterlands. Dragon Age is full of stuff that isn't very interesting to do. We get to travel all around lush, huge locations with the sort of variety that would make Dragon Age 2 weep, but to some degree all the game is doing is changing the scenery. The bulk of what these areas have you do is very similar. You know that, when you get somewhere, you'll always have the same core types of missions waiting for you in Inquisition. Close the rifts, collect the shards, and so on.

By the time I was hitting level 15(ish) and had at least visited every area, I kind of stopped caring about anything other than finishing the main story and killing the 10 or so dragons.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#859 » by mattg » Thu Jan 1, 2015 12:09 am

Skyrim had the exact same problem. Boring side quests and no end game because there were no items worth getting/gold was useless. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that if an rpg style game doesn't have good loot and end game specific content I will be annoyed/disappointed.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#860 » by TroyD92 » Thu Jan 1, 2015 2:02 am

Skyrims mods added hundred of hours of playability to the game. RPG's I always get on PC for that reason.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks