ImageImage

John Hammond interview on 1070

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Garbs_7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,582

Re: John Hammond interview on 1070 

Post#21 » by Garbs_7 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am

But if Hammond stands pat, Kidd has a horrible logjam in his depth chart, with players wanting / needing minutes and getting annoyed and creating issues when they don't get them. The thing that annoyed me most was Hammond not acknowledging there was a logjam at the 4 when the interviewer brought it up. I understand being coy and keeping your cards close to your chest, but nothing so far in his 5 years here has shown me he has the smarts or guile to actually do that, I genuinely believe he thinks the 4/5 rotation is fine.

Just an estimate of minute distribution below basis the starting 4/5 getting only 28mpg as being generous to Hammond. I'm guessing Parker gets some minutes at the 3 aswell but with Giannis, Middleton, etc there, I don't see too many minutes available to give him there too.

Ersan (28mpg) / Parker (15 mpg) / Henson (5mpg) / JOB (0 mpg) = 48mpg
Sanders (28mpg / Zaza (15 mpg) / Henson (5mpg) / Rad (0mpg) / JOB (0 mpg) = 48mpg

So is he happy with Henson getting only 10mpg max and killing his value?

Is he happy with Parker only finding maybe 20mpg with all the other forwards on the roster?

Is he happy with an NBA ready guy in JOB rotting on the bench and not getting any development mins? (i'm guessing we will be too dumb to use the D League properly again).

Is he happy with Rad not getting minutes to further develop when he should be getting at least 10mpg to see what we have there?

Not to mention he is about to bring in Bayless for no good reason which is going to leave us with a similar logjam at the 1/2. These logjams that Bone creates are really detrimental to team chemistry and just creates issues, a heap of depth is not a good thing for a team like the Bucks that isn't contending and needs to develop guys. I hope he is just being sly and has a plan but I doubt it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,062

Post#22 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:32 pm

The Bucks **could** have a rotation that satisfies a desire to win next season while getting the young guys that matter minutes.

PG: Wolters / Marshall
SG: Middleton / Knight
SF: Giannis / Parker
PF: Ilyasova / Parker
C: Sanders / Henson

Nine man rotation.

Wolters and Giannis are the primary ball handlers in the starting unit. You put them next to our best shooters in Middleton and Ilyasova. Sanders anchors the defense.

Knight is the first guard off the bench and subs in at either the 1 or 2.

Parker picks up 30 mpg playing both forward spots.

Henson is the backup center and Marshall is the 4th guard.

I think that lineup works well on multiple fronts. You give Wolters the point guard minutes that matter most because he's our smartest ball handler. You put him next to three shooters to mitigate his lack of a shot. Ilyasova is starting to stretch the floor and rehab his value. Knight and Parker make up the instant offense off the bench, with Parker getting valuable minutes at both positions.

Just about every night you get injuries and foul situations. Mayo, Zaza, Delfino, Miroslav could pick up their handful of minutes that way. The first three are gonna cash checks either way.

In an ideal world you would move Ersan at the deadline to a contender willing to give up a pick, and slide Parker into the starting lineup.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#23 » by Newz » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:PG: Wolters / Marshall

Our guards are so bad that it is laughable. :lol:

That being said I do think that is the rotation that would probably win the most games next year. I'd probably start Marshall and have Knight backing up both guard spots though.

Still hoping we don't see that lineup though.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#24 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:38 pm

I think Parker struggles early on with NBA conditioning, game speed & foul trouble. I can't see him getting more than 20-25MPG on a nightly basis. Some games maybe more, some games maybe less. I know we all want to see Giannis & Jabari play 35-40MPG every single night, but the reality is, that's very unlikely.

Henson is not a PF and I bet JOB spends time in D-league. Ersan will be getting minutes this year.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#25 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I'm not watching this team until Giannis and Parker are both starting or at least getting "starter-type" minutes.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,195

Post#26 » by skones » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:44 pm

If Parker does not start and get 30+ I'll be livid.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,663

Post#27 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

I think that first unit struggles to score the ball. You'd have to either start Knight or Parker to give them some juice starting out games. Also not sure if the Bucks are in a position not to start Parker considering he was the #2 pick and the fans will expect it. Not saying that's what should happen, but from a PR standpoint and getting people in the seats, Parker probably starts for us on day one.

Also have a feeling that Nate might be getting less minutes with the Bayless and Marshall pickups. I think Kidd likes Nate, but from some of the things we heard in summer league, he didn't sound like he was super high on him. Just sounded like he was another "guy".

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like

PG: Marshall/Bayless/Wolters
SG: Knight/Middleton/Bayless
SF: Giannis/Parker/Middleton
PF: Parker/Ilyasova
C: Sanders/Henson
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#28 » by EastSideBucksFan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:55 pm

StikWitEM wrote:

I think that first unit struggles to score the ball. You'd have to either start Knight or Parker to give them some juice starting out games. Also not sure if the Bucks are in a position not to start Parker considering he was the #2 pick and the fans will expect it. Not saying that's what should happen, but from a PR standpoint and getting people in the seats, Parker probably starts for us on day one.

Also have a feeling that Nate might be getting less minutes with the Bayless and Marshall pickups. I think Kidd likes Nate, but from some of the things we heard in summer league, he didn't sound like he was super high on him. Just sounded like he was another "guy".

Barring big changes to roster, I think Skitwitems lineup is more likely than RS.
SkilesTheLimit
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#29 » by SkilesTheLimit » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Get ready for another bad season. The only difference is the entertainment value will increase with 2 elite-level 19 year-olds on the roster. This is a 25 win team tops. A 10-game improvement from last year while still keeping us in the thick of things for a top 5 pick.
We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees.
- Jason Kidd
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm

StikWitEM wrote:

I think Parker struggles to score this season, or at least struggles to do so on any kind of reasonable efficiency.

Middleton is under-used for his skill set and needs minutes, just like Giannis and Parker do. The more I think about it the more I think Ilysasova has to start. It's a bit of a change up for me but since he's going to be needed this year, we might as well get the best version of him and bring his value back up.

But really my thinking with that lineup is versatility. Parker and Knight can play two spots and sub in depending on where they're needed.
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,009

Post#31 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:09 pm

not starting knight would be just as much a travesty as not starting giannis or parker.... and that has nothing to do with their talent projection either. it would just be dumb not to start our youngest, most talented guard with as pathetic as our guard crop is.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:
StikWitEM wrote:

Barring big changes to roster, I think Skitwitems lineup is more likely than RS.

I agree, mostly because I've come to expect dumb decisions from the organization.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#33 » by eagle13 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm

what I expect

marshall / bayless / wolters
knight / bayless
middleton / giannis
ersan / parker
sanders / Henson

what I want'

marshall / wolter / bayless
knight / middleton / bayless
giannis / parker / middleton
parker / ersan
sanders / Henson

trade all the usually named guys
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#34 » by eagle13 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Garbs_7 wrote:But if Hammond stands pat, Kidd has a horrible logjam in his depth chart, with players wanting / needing minutes and getting annoyed and creating issues when they don't get them. The thing that annoyed me most was Hammond not acknowledging there was a logjam at the 4 when the interviewer brought it up. I understand being coy and keeping your cards close to your chest, but nothing so far in his 5 years here has shown me he has the smarts or guile to actually do that, I genuinely believe he thinks the 4/5 rotation is fine.

Just an estimate of minute distribution below basis the starting 4/5 getting only 28mpg as being generous to Hammond. I'm guessing Parker gets some minutes at the 3 aswell but with Giannis, Middleton, etc there, I don't see too many minutes available to give him there too.

Ersan (28mpg) / Parker (15 mpg) / Henson (5mpg) / JOB (0 mpg) = 48mpg
Sanders (28mpg / Zaza (15 mpg) / Henson (5mpg) / Rad (0mpg) / JOB (0 mpg) = 48mpg

So is he happy with Henson getting only 10mpg max and killing his value?

Is he happy with Parker only finding maybe 20mpg with all the other forwards on the roster?

Is he happy with an NBA ready guy in JOB rotting on the bench and not getting any development mins? (i'm guessing we will be too dumb to use the D League properly again).

Is he happy with Rad not getting minutes to further develop when he should be getting at least 10mpg to see what we have there?

Not to mention he is about to bring in Bayless for no good reason which is going to leave us with a similar logjam at the 1/2. These logjams that Bone creates are really detrimental to team chemistry and just creates issues, a heap of depth is not a good thing for a team like the Bucks that isn't contending and needs to develop guys. I hope he is just being sly and has a plan but I doubt it.

Garbs I don't get your stress. Every team has 14/15 guys and most only play 9 or 10 - a few only 8. 2nd round picks frequently sit their 1st yr - and no one stresses about them. I like JOB but I fine with him sitting.

Everyone is saying Henson is a 5. Well to me it seems obvious you give all 5 backup mins to Henson (age 23 - former 1st) and- don't sweat Ragu (26) or Zaza (30)

5 is just Sanders & Henson
4 is just Parker & Ersan
3 is just Gian & Middleton
2 is knight & bayless
1 is marshall & wolter

ragu, job, inglis are bench

trade del, za, mayo, for 2 Gs or picks or exps

Return to Milwaukee Bucks