ImageImage

One Last Chance for Mayo?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BuildingBucks
Junior
And1: 161

One Last Chance for Mayo? 

Post#1 » by BuildingBucks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:09 pm

I know everyone is done with him and I've been as well but since we probably won't get anything good for him in a trade why not give him one last shot? He can't lower his trade value any more at this point anyway.

Lets hope Kidd can light a fire under a player with all the talent in the world. 18 PPG game his rookie year and in what should be his prime he averaged 11 PPG. He just needs someone to push him, cause based on his numbers since his rookie year and the shape he was in last year you know he can't push himself.

I'm willing to give him one last shot under Kidd, thoughts?
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Re: One Last Chance for Mayo? 

Post#2 » by step3profit » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:12 pm

BuildingBucks wrote:I know everyone is done with him and I've been as well but since we probably won't get anything good for him in a trade why not give him one last shot? He can't lower his trade value any more at this point anyway.

Lets hope Kidd can light a fire under a player with all the talent in the world. 18 PPG game his rookie year and in what should be his prime he averaged 11 PPG. He just needs someone to push him, cause based on his numbers since his rookie year and the shape he was in last year you know he can't push himself.

How good can someone really be, when they just don't care? The greats light fires under themselves. I doubt anyone can name one really, really good player, that you'd credit the coaching staff with getting back on track.

Attitude issues, sure, but not laziness issues.

He's basically a tiny Benoit Benjamin.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#3 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:14 pm

If he gets the time and does show up ready to play, I actually think he may be my MIP for the team this year. With that said, if he does improve I would not hesitate to deal him mid-season if there is any interest at all. At this point I give him minutes, hopefully he puts up numbers, and you peddle him. Obviously this is best case scenario.
BuildingBucks
Junior

Post#4 » by BuildingBucks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm

step3profit wrote:
BuildingBucks wrote:I know everyone is done with him and I've been as well but since we probably won't get anything good for him in a trade why not give him one last shot? He can't lower his trade value any more at this point anyway.

How good can someone really be, when they just don't care? The greats light fires under themselves. I doubt anyone can name one really, really good player, that you'd credit the coaching staff with getting back on track.

I'm with you, its just that his trade value can't get any worse than it is. One less year on the contract may actually increase his value. Maybe I'm crazy but I just want to give him one last shot.
LedZepp007
General Manager
And1: 3,523

Post#5 » by LedZepp007 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:54 pm

BuildingBucks wrote:
step3profit wrote:

I'm with you, its just that his trade value can't get any worse than it is. One less year on the contract may actually increase his value. Maybe I'm crazy but I just want to give him one last shot.

Why? Mayo does nothing for this team. If he is terrible he does nothing. If he's average he does nothing. If he has a career year he does nothing. Buy him out or trade him. John Hammond and his **** signings...
The Bulls are the absolute worst.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#6 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm

It may have been a bad signing by Hammond, but there were alot of people okay with the deal at the time...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1261576
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#7 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:01 pm

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't return to his previous form if given minutes, now that we have a real coach.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
BuildingBucks
Junior

Post#8 » by BuildingBucks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:06 pm

LedZepp007 wrote:
BuildingBucks wrote:
step3profit wrote:

Why? Mayo does nothing for this team. If he is terrible he does nothing. If he's average he does nothing. If he has a career year he does nothing. Buy him out or trade him. John Hammond and his **** signings...

If he's terrible nothing changes, if he has a career year we can trade him in the middle of the season for a lot more than what we could get now. Same could be said for Ersan but we have a lot of Forwards as it is he'd just be taking PT away from Henson and Jabari. We don't have as many guards fighting for playing time so playing time for the young guys isn't a concern for me there.

Mayo was a good risk to take at the time I thought, but Hammond has had an awful track record with FA's.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,048

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:08 pm

DocHoliday wrote:I don't see any reason why he wouldn't return to his previous form if given minutes, now that we have a real coach.

His previous form wasn't any good either.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#10 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
DocHoliday wrote:I don't see any reason why he wouldn't return to his previous form if given minutes, now that we have a real coach.

His previous form wasn't any good either.

no but maybe good enough to see him traded

Spoiler:

StillABucksFan
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#11 » by StillABucksFan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Anybody seen him in a while? Is he still fat?
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#12 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm actually thinking that his body type isn't ideal for NBA action and that he held that in check with PEDs for a while (even getting suspended). I wonder if he didn't see that 24M and just stop taking them.

I wasn't for the signing but when it was announced was concerned it was going to be for longer/more.

In any event, I'm just not confident he will ever be able to contribute in a meaningful fashion again. On the other hand, I think Ers could round back into shape.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#13 » by Chapter29 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Although historically only a decent at best player I do think he will return to form.

I believe he simply gave up on the team that had already given up trying to win games. He knew we were a mess and simply stopped trying.

I think with Kidd running the show and a team that can actually win some games he will be trying and will care a bit more.
Giannis
is
UponUs
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#14 » by eagle13 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:28 pm

If he gets his shot back and his passing that will help the team as we need shooting. He never was much on D - maybe average at best - but I don't expect he'll ever reach even average on D again in his career.
BuildingBucks
Junior

Post#15 » by BuildingBucks » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

StillABucksFan wrote:Anybody seen him in a while? Is he still fat?

I haven't heard anything about him since the season ended, but I'd hope he shows up in shape next year.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#16 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:37 pm

eagle13 wrote:If he gets his shot back and his passing that will help the team as we need shooting. He never was much on D - maybe average at best - but I don't expect he'll ever reach even average on D again in his career.

His shot was fine last year, he just shot more 3s because he was too fat to drive the lane

Spoiler:

glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#17 » by glenn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:51 pm

BuildingBucks wrote:
StillABucksFan wrote:Anybody seen him in a while? Is he still fat?

I haven't heard anything about him since the season ended, but I'd hope he shows up in shape next year.

I hope he shows up at 300 lbs.
:reporter:
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,586

Post#18 » by JayMKE » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Mayo will be worth more at the end of the season one way or another, he'll either return to form or he'll be an expiring
FREE GIANNIS
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#19 » by Rockmaninoff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:It may have been a bad signing by Hammond, but there were alot of people okay with the deal at the time...

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1261576

It was a bad signing at the time.

The management and coaching staff in Dallas did everything they could to help Mayo succeed, and he still failed. I'm not sure why the Bucks thought they could bring Mayo into a worse environment and expect a better result.

He's immovable right now, so best to pretend that he's still OJ Mayo, trot him out, and hope that he hits some 3s.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Post#20 » by DanoMac » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

Most recent pic of Mayo

Return to Milwaukee Bucks