ImageImage

ATL: What are the 76'ers going to do with that cap space?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

cinematographer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,697

Re: ATL: What are the 76'ers going to do with that cap space 

Post#41 » by cinematographer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Saric comes over in two years. If Hinkie finds a backcourt by then, and Embiid/Noel stay healthy, they're East contenders. 48 minutes of elite rim protection, with an offense running a San Antonio system.
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,725

Post#42 » by AussieBuck » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Yep Noel's a stud.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,954

Post#43 » by Jez2983 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 am

AussieBuck wrote:Yep Noel's a stud.

He does look rad, flat top and basketball ability and all.

Best player with a flat top since Brian Reeves.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
nodeal
Rookie
And1: 216

Post#44 » by nodeal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am

This yr they sit on their cap space waiting for a cheap owner looking to save some bucks.

HInkie is doing everything right. Once they use their cap space they are basically a playoff team, and they could use their cap space as early as next yr. I doubt they tank beyond 2016.

Possible 2015 lineup.

Dragic/MCW/Wroten
Mathews/Dragic/McCrae
Deng/Kelly Oubre/KJM/HT
Millsap/Noel/Saric
Embiid/Noel/Sims

Tanking isnt just about young potential stars on dirt cheap contracts. Its also about not having any dead weight so when youre ready to compete you can use that cap space to build around your young core. If MIL signs another dumb contract next yr that leaks into 2016/17 then you know its mediocrity for life.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#45 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 pm

My question is why Hinkie didn't make the Dudley deal with the Clips. He could have sent them zero salary, making them a more valuable trading partner than the Bucks. Maybe for that gotten the lotto protection down to top ten.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#46 » by crkone » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:My question is why Hinkie didn't make the Dudley deal with the Clips. He could have sent them zero salary, making them a more valuable trading partner than the Bucks. Maybe for that gotten the lotto protection down to top ten.

Maybe Philly asked for too much or just didn't want Dudley. According to ESPN, they have 20 people on their roster already.

EDIT: 23 according to NBA.com.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#47 » by Chapter29 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I think the sixers are doing everything right from a GM perspective. Stay young, keep a low team salary and try and lose games mining for some all-star or better talent in the draft. They are overtly tanking and honestly I love it. They haven't struck gold in the lottery thus far.....this is the risk of the draft. Tanking doesn't always work right away.

They have a terrible team and some young talent. MCW is going to be decent when its all said and done. I think he gets a bad wrap. Noel is a good prospect. Embiid has a superstar ceiling. They can afford to wait with him. They want to lose.

In theory they have their #1 guy. Their Superman. Embiid is a better prospect by a long shot over Parker. They just have to wait a year...and get a little lucky with him.

Us?

I don't see Parker as a Superman....maybe a Batman....probably a Robin. Hope I'm wrong.

Giannis could be our Superman. Doubt it. Batman...maybe.... Another Robin? I love Giannis and this is his team IMO, but I just don't know if he can become an alpha dog and carry us. I kind of see him as the perfect compliment to a star. Like a Pippen to a Jordan.

Bottom line is I am concerned that our dips into the lottery wont yield the superstar talent required to compete for a championship but will yield enough wins to probably be irrelevant for another stretch.

People are criticizing the 76ers now, in a year or 2 I think they could be better than us. Purely on finding a superstar talent. I hope not.
Giannis
is
UponUs
nodeal
Rookie

Post#48 » by nodeal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:My question is why Hinkie didn't make the Dudley deal with the Clips. He could have sent them zero salary, making them a more valuable trading partner than the Bucks. Maybe for that gotten the lotto protection down to top ten.

Dudley has 2 yrs left, so hinkie would want a lot more than LAC would give.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#49 » by theFireBlanket » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:51 pm

crkone wrote:

Maybe Philly asked for too much or just didn't want Dudley. According to ESPN, they have 20 people on their roster already.

EDIT: 23 according to NBA.com

That's ridiculous. :lol:

*Hypothetically, they could've done a 2 for 1 deal as the Bucks did and that would've helped them trim down marginally but maybe they want to get all of those players into training camp before making cuts or trades.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#50 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:02 pm

nodeal wrote:

But what is Hinkie going to do with that $8 million? That team has $25 million to spend THIS year to make min payroll and the same problem next year. His contract is a drop in the bucket they have to spend anyways and won't stop Philly from doing anything. Or would Dudley help them win games LOL.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
nodeal wrote:

But what is Hinkie going to do with that $8 million? That team has $25 million to spend THIS year to make min payroll and the same problem next year. His contract is a drop in the bucket they have to spend anyways and won't stop Philly from doing anything. Or would Dudley help them win games LOL.

What I think they'll do is take some contracts off of other teams' hands as long as those teams throw in a draft choice or 2. They're in the business now of accumulating draft picks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach
And1: 314

Post#52 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:19 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
nodeal wrote:

Unless the Clips actually want Delfino, strange as it may sound. We'll see if he gets stretched or not, SF is their weakest position
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
nodeal wrote:

What I think they'll do is take some contracts off of other teams' hands as long as those teams throw in a draft choice or 2. They're in the business now of accumulating draft picks.

So why not Dudley, they could have accumulated a draft pick
nodeal
Rookie

Post#54 » by nodeal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:07 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
nodeal wrote:

What if hinkie wants to end the tank next yr and sign legit players? Dudley would get in his way. Its not hinkies plan to go full blown LA Clippers and tank 10 years straight. He is eventually going to go after free agents and he will most likely test the waters next yr. 50m + the young core he already has + high 2015 1st is no joke.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:19 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

So why not Dudley, they could have accumulated a draft pick

Why do you assume they didn't try - and just lost out to the other super-power - Milwaukee?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:30 pm

nodeal wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
nodeal wrote:

What if hinkie wants to end the tank next yr and sign legit players? Dudley would get in his way. Its not hinkies plan to go full blown LA Clippers and tank 10 years straight. He is eventually going to go after free agents and he will most likely test the waters next yr. 50m + the young core he already has + high 2015 1st is no joke.

The question(rhetorical)is.....Will FAs want to join a team coming off back-to-back sub 20 win seasons?
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,533

Post#57 » by raferfenix » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I get the long term philosophy but the Sixers are taking some major risks on players with serious injury histories or who might never come over from Europe with their lottery picks.

If Embiid never gets healthy enough to be a star -- as opposed to even having a short all-nba filled career like Yao Ming -- that pick could really come back to haunt them.

At least depending on how Exum / Gordon / Smart / whoever else they might have picked end up.

Think they made smart calls given the risk / reward on Noel and Saric. Embiid is the X factor though considering he is by far the biggest risk coming in the context of all the other risky maneuvers.
nodeal
Rookie

Post#58 » by nodeal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:
nodeal wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:

The question(rhetorical)is.....Will FAs want to join a team coming off back-to-back sub 20 win seasons?

I think players are smart enough to try to look into the future.

CHA ran the exact same strategy as Philly and even they brought in al jeff. Tank for 3 yrs draft Kemba/MKG/Zeller then add free agents. The difference is Hinkie will have noel/MCW/Embiid/Saric/KJM/2015 1st and less dead weight so they can add more/better free agents. This should be a very easy sell for hinkie to land whoever he wants.
CanadaBucks
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by CanadaBucks » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:08 pm

nodeal wrote:
CanadaBucks wrote:
nodeal wrote:

CHA ran the exact same strategy as Philly and even they brought in al jeff. Tank for 3 yrs draft Kemba/MKG/Zeller than add free agents. The difference is Hinkie will have noel/MCW/Embiid/Saric/KJM/2015 1st and less dead weight so they can add more/better free agents. This should be a very easy sell for hinkie to land whoever he wants.

Maybe.....but don't forget most "experts" thought Jefferson was a huge overpay for Charlotte. Not saying what Hinkie's doing won't work(although I have my doubts)just saying I don't think Philly will be a prime market for FAs until they win
nodeal
Rookie

Post#60 » by nodeal » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:33 pm

CanadaBucks wrote:
nodeal wrote:
CanadaBucks wrote:

CHA ran the exact same strategy as Philly and even they brought in al jeff. Tank for 3 yrs draft Kemba/MKG/Zeller than add free agents. The difference is Hinkie will have noel/MCW/Embiid/Saric/KJM/2015 1st and less dead weight so they can add more/better free agents. This should be a very easy sell for hinkie to land whoever he wants.

Maybe.....but don't forget most "experts" thought Jefferson was a huge overpay for Charlotte. Not saying what Hinkie's doing won't work(although I have my doubts)just saying I don't think Philly will be a prime market for FAs until they win

Experts throw out over pay to everyone every year. The cap goes up so players get paid more and more, People compare current contracts to past contracts and think over pay. I didnt think al jeff was an over pay.

If Morey can strike out in free agency than Hinkie could just as easily. Time will tell. I wouldnt bet against hinkie.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks